How Was Your Songkran?

anna234cn

My first Songkran experience was soooooo exciting:

Apr 13: Play water in khao San Rd and Silom and met a very handsome guy in KSR. :D

Apr 14: Karaoke and had a good dinner in China Town.

Apr 15: KSR and Silom again. My friend's pants were taken off by a group of ladyboys. hahaha

Apr 16: Shopping in JJ market and found some interesting things for my parents.

Apr 17: Shopping in MBK and Siam Square.

Songkran is sooooo fun. But I dont like being touched by so many guys. :o

very pitty, anna234cn!

in Pattaya excitement will go much further then KSR+MBK+few funky LBs. At least - less shopping, more booze, kinkier boys and half-boys and so...

You surely miss an opportunity of life-time fun!

P.S. and we miss great report too

My first Songkran experience was soooooo exciting:

Apr 13: Play water in khao San Rd and Silom and met a very handsome guy in KSR. 

Apr 15: KSR and Silom again. My friend's pants were taken off by a group of ladyboys. hahaha

Songkran is sooooo fun. But I dont like being touched by so many guys. 

Great that you enjoyed your 1st Songkran! I enjoyed my 1st one too(KSR) 13 years ago, however 10 Songrans later, it kinds loses it appeal a tad!! Now I try my best to avoid it.

and anna234cn gave you straight answer : go to KSR, find young western gal, get slightly drunk, spend lotsa cash shoppin', loose your pants to some lb's and soak in water and beer. repeat it next few days. Take Alka Zeltser and find home keys, wallet and cell phone. get spare pants and, after shower at home go to nearest pub to share the stories. Or, log on thai visa forum.

I had a reasonably entertaining 1st Songkran-Was in Chiang Mai for the kick-off, and for some reason entertained the notion to stroll straight through the middle of downtown on foot-left all the water guns in Bangkok, but nonetheless refused to hand over the exorbitant sum of money they were fleecing people for up there, so wandered the streets with the drunken dancing traffic-jamming mob, had a beer, and got soaked beyond recognition.

Unfortunately, in the process, I was doused with the suspect waters of the "Chiang Mai Moat", but came out all right nonetheless-no diseases or the like yet, so that went all right. Drove back to BKK the next day, so that ruled out anthing, but went to Khao San Rd on Friday. Lot of white crap on my face, and a lot of ice cold water blasted at my head. Lots of fun, but tragically, none of my Thai family is what I would call "partyers", so I had to head home wet, white, but tragically un-inebriated. Ah well. Good times, although to those brave, brave pizza deliverymen on their motorbikes this week.....I salute you.

Apr 13: Play water in khao San Rd and Silom and met a very handsome guy in KSR. tongue.gif

Hope you did not wear spaghetti strap top, lest you get malaria.

Absolutely great, as per normal i played 5-6 hours a day for the 5 days it goes on for here in Kanchanaburi, ended today (17th) which is proberly good as i dont think i could manage another day. Everything hurts, aches or will be aching in morning and i loved every minute of it, this is about my 8th Songkran i have participated in and i am looking forward to next years fun and games. The locals were brilliant, and when it started to pour with rain at 4:30 pm everyone was dancing in the streets and having a great if slightly coldish time of it. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Anna  if  you  enjoyed  Songkran  so  much  why  not  come  down  to  Pattaya  we  have  it  from  the  14th  to  the  19th  with  the  big  day  being  the  19th.  :o

Coooooool. I didnt know it. Maybe next year. :D

Too bad you missed it, anna.... Next year will be too late.

It will all change....

Songkran celebrations to be reined in Thailand next year

BANGKOK, 04/16 - As Thailand`s traditional Songkran celebration has turned to be more violent, the authorities plan to adopt strict zoning policy to rein it, local press reported Saturday.

The formerly serene holiday featuring family reunions and visits to Buddhist temples has in recent years degenerated into drunken water fight and out-of-control partying in many parts of the country.

Beginning from next year, certain areas will be designated for water battles and the zoning will be strictly enforced, Deputy Interior Minister Sermsak Pongpanit was quoted by The Nation newspaper as saying.

He noted the zoning was aimed at protecting people from Songkran revelers who often celebrated to the extreme.

More than 800 people have been arrested for assault, gambling, sexual harassment and other offenses during this year`s holiday, said police, adding a soar in certain types of crime has been anticipated during the celebration.

Over the past seven days since the holiday began, 351 people, mostly drunken motorcyclists, have been killed and 1,114 injured in road accidents.

More than 5,000 motorists and bikers had been arrested for traffic offenses in Bangkok during the long vacation, said Metropolitan police.

Next year will be too late.

It will all change....

Songkran celebrations to be reined in Thailand next year

BANGKOK, 04/16 - As Thailand`s traditional Songkran celebration has turned to be more violent, the authorities plan to adopt strict zoning policy to rein it, local press reported Saturday.

None of this will ever happen. This b.s. is not any different than the authorities declaring year-after-year that the coming Loy Krathong festival will be fireworks-free. The closest that ever came to occurring was a few years back after fireworks were tossed onto the boat of some government poo-yai on the Chao Phraya River during the Loy Krathong festival (can't remember which person though). Until Mr. Big's grandmother gets blasted by a water cannon and falls off her motorbike while cruising around the moat in Chiang Mai, don't expect any changes in Songkran. :o

Anna  if  you  enjoyed  Songkran  so  much  why  not  come  down  to  Pattaya  we  have  it  from  the  14th  to  the  19th  with  the  big  day  being  the  19th.  :o

Coooooool. I didnt know it. Maybe next year. :D

Too bad you missed it, anna.... Next year will be too late.

It will all change....

It's okay. Anyway, I got lots of fun this Songkran. On the other hand, change might be good. :D

I am Thai. I stayed in my apartment. I am still alive! I know that most farangs are excited for Songkran for the first time. I have seen it since I was born and I am sorry to tell you this: it sucks! Things are getting nastier every year and I am sick of it. Drunk, death, serious injuries, road accidents, you name it. The real, original Songkran that you will never experience is long gone.

Golf

Edited by Golf

I was in Chiang Saen today. They are celebrating Songkran until the 20th! Very laid back and polite. No motorbikes were being targeted and I did not see one water pistol. Lots of people and picnics etc and very civil fun all round. :o

Stressful and lonely. Work is tough right now and I'm thousands of miles from my girl and her family. Happy Songkran phone calls help but contrary to the old advert, it's not exactly the "next best thing to being there."

I am Thai.  I stayed in my apartment.  I am still alive!  I know that most farangs are excited for Songkran for the first time.  I have seen it since I was born and I am sorry to tell you this: it sucks!  Things are getting nastier every year and I am sick of it.  Drunk, death, serious injuries, road accidents, you name it.  The real, original Songkran that you will never experience is long gone.

Golf

I totally agree with you Golf I can stand new year in the west but I would give me my left arm to experience Thai new year at least for a few years. I guess there is no way I can ever experience the way songkran use to be celebrated it would be nice to if someone could tell me how it use to be celebrated in the sixties for example.

I have been to thailand a lot but never during Thai new year my company does most of their business during January and May, how sad for me.

I am Thai.  I stayed in my apartment.  I am still alive!  I know that most farangs are excited for Songkran for the first time.  I have seen it since I was born and I am sorry to tell you this: it sucks!  Things are getting nastier every year and I am sick of it.  Drunk, death, serious injuries, road accidents, you name it.  The real, original Songkran that you will never experience is long gone.

Golf

Ha ha!!!!!!!!!! You are right! We farangs and our Thai/Lao/Khymer brothers - especially in Buriram love Songkran! Of course it is a drunken affair nowadays and it's sad that people die - motorcycle accidents, the gun, the knife and just plain beaten to death but you have to face up to it - not lock yourself away - Thailand is now a very violent society and will be while ever people stand on the poor and humiliate them. I just hope the poorer people can direct their violence in the right way in future. Killing each other if you're poor is no good - killing the farang in the village is no good either - we're not the culprits here - who are? The nearest I've come to death at Songkran was last year when was dancing on a table with the village idiot and the village katoy - unfortunately the table collapsed and my Father-in-Law took a stick to us all! He's a bit mad my Father-in-Law (Jai) - a kind of cross between Alf Garnett and Ravi Shankar ... but whatever we love the nutter! I suggest you go out at Songkran mate, this violence is only going to get a lot worse and more intrusive until there will be no point in locking yourself away from your poor brothers and sisters.

Golf

I totally agree with you Golf I can stand new year in the west but I would give me my left arm to experience Thai new year at least for a few years. I guess there is no way I can ever experience the way songkran use to be celebrated it would be nice to if someone could tell me how it use to be celebrated in the sixties for example.

I have been to thailand a lot but never during Thai new year my company does most of their business during January and May, how sad for me.

Yes, it's long forgotten. Sad but true. Songkran in the past, and I mean a very long time ago, was a day to pay a respect to your parents and grandparents. We would pour water in their hands and ask for their blessings and forgiveness for whatever bad things we've done to them in the past, not throwing bucketful of water to them. We would make merit and give food to monks. Young adults would bring sand to temples as a symbol of union, togetherness of Thai communities. It was also the day men and women meet each other to form proper dates. No hands touching any parts of the opposite sex, except faces. It was a beautiful day in the past. I am not talking about any time like in the sixties. I am talking about the forties and thirties.

Golf

Golf

Ha ha!!!!!!!!!! You are right! We farangs and our Thai/Lao/Khymer brothers - especially in Buriram love Songkran! Of course it is a drunken affair nowadays and it's sad that people die - motorcycle accidents, the gun, the knife and just plain beaten to death but you have to face up to it - not lock yourself away - Thailand is now a very violent society and will be while ever people stand on the poor and humiliate them. I just hope the poorer people can direct their violence in the right way in future. Killing each other if you're poor is no good - killing the farang in the village is no good either - we're not the culprits here - who are? The nearest I've come to death at Songkran was last year when was dancing on a table with the village idiot and the village katoy - unfortunately the table collapsed and my Father-in-Law took a stick to us all! He's a bit mad my Father-in-Law (Jai) - a kind of cross between Alf Garnett and Ravi Shankar ... but whatever we love the nutter! I suggest you go out at Songkran mate, this violence is only going to get a lot worse and more intrusive until there will be no point in locking yourself away from your poor brothers and sisters.

Lucky that you still alive, Toddy. I am not anti-social or anything, but Songkran nowadays is just outrageous! You could die or seriously injured if you're driving or riding and some jacka$$ is throwing water right at you. Sexual harassments are all over the country. Drinking and driving are skyrocket. These are things that I hate the most about Songkran. There are no more beauties left in it. If you have a chance, check the Mon community in Kao Kret, Nontaburi. They are still preserve their traditions. Their Songkran is peaceful and beautiful. I saw it on the news and I would say: I am feeling so ashame about Thai Songkran.

Golf

Absolutely great, as per normal i played 5-6 hours a day for the 5 days it goes on for here in Kanchanaburi, ended today (17th) which is proberly good as i dont think i could manage another day. Everything hurts, aches or will be aching in morning and i loved every minute of it, this is about my 8th Songkran i have participated in and i am looking forward to next years fun and games. The locals were brilliant, and when it started to pour with rain (on Sunday 17th April) at 4:30 pm everyone was dancing in the streets and having a great if slightly coldish time of it. HAPPY NEW YEAR! :D

Great time had by one and all :o come rain or come shine in Kan :D

And we won, had a great party :D

SomTam we Kan Win :D:D:D

P.S. and a Happy New Beer to you all :D

Edited by Kan Win

Yes, it's long forgotten. Sad but true. Songkran in the past, and I mean a very long time ago, was a day to pay a respect to your parents and grandparents. We would pour water in their hands and ask for their blessings and forgiveness for whatever bad things we've done to them in the past, not throwing bucketful of water to them. We would make merit and give food to monks. Young adults would bring sand to temples as a symbol of union, togetherness of Thai communities. It was also the day men and women meet each other to form proper dates. No hands touching any parts of the opposite sex, except faces. It was a beautiful day in the past. I am not talking about any time like in the sixties. I am talking about the forties and thirties.

Golf

Golf it is sad but you have to engage with the people around you sometimes at risk to yourself if you want to understand what's going on. I'm educated, have worked in Tokyo/Thailand/South Korea and also owned businesses in the UK and other places. I have a choice not to be in Thailand but I choose to stay and ENGAGE with the people here because I feel there is a darkness now here and I want to understand it because I too miss times past. I love my Thai Mum and Dad (my in-laws) so much and despite being a drunken loony last Songkran and falling off the table, I paid my respects and was blessed by them and I enjoy to do this because I know they feel I am their son and thus I should act like one and make them happy. My Mum is called 'Buaphan', my Dad 'Jai'. Two great souls both of whom I miss when I am away from Thailand. As a foreigner sometimes it is hard to adapt to village life but overall I love it. On bad days it is always Jai who suggests we go walk in the fields and Buaphan who shouts and laughs and chews the betelnut ... and cooks a great pumpkin dish! It is amazing for me to see that people like them who have had life so hard can be in anyway related to the hooligans at Songkran. Jai is a true man and Buaphan a true woman and I hope that kind of Thai spirit (what I call 'The True Thai Spirit') is more powerful than this murderous one ripping through our country at the moment. I say 'our' country as rules are only rules and I cannot find it in me to think that the men killing people at Songkran have more right to call it their country than I.