Bluetooth Hacking

Para

I know this is not a hacking board but I really think anyone who leaves their phone with BT set on should be aware of what can happen.

There are various programs out the run on Symbian mobile that will initiate a silent BT connection and search your phone.

The most worrying is an app called Bloover. It can change settings (call forwarding) copy contacts/Notes and initiate another call from yours.

So guys keep your dongels to yourself incase someone wants to play with it....

Our resident Symbian/bluethooth guru Stumonster posted on this subject a while back!

No harm in reiterating this problem, lots of people don't know about it, and by the look of these fancy bluethooth headsets around I would guess there's lots of these phones around with bluethooth active !!!

Our resident Symbian/bluethooth guru Stumonster posted on this subject a while back!

not me mate .

I have not been following the bluetooth stuff closely recently as I have been learning how to use my new ppc.

But standard with bluetooth , unless you need to be discoverable there is no need to be broadcasting your bluetooth ID - ie. just turn on 'show to all' when you need to pair devices , then turn back to 'hidden'.

This release was on the 7th of jan , so I imagine in the last coupe of months people have been feverishly modifying the source code.

A few of the forums have people claiming to have succesfully used bloover , but take their claims with a pinch of salt.

The hole which bloover uses also seems to be in much older versions of the bluetooth stack , so many newer phones are not susceptable.

You can have your bluetooth headset on and have your device in hidden mode , as you would have paired and authorised previously.

Telling about a weakness in a system and how to protect against it is appropriate, and appreciated Para. We don't allow hacking/cracking/warez stuff here, but advice on how to protect your systems is always welcome. :o

Thanks for your input

cv