Printing Plastic Money. Is This An Offense In Thailand?

coalminer

My child has been requested by the school to bring in "plastic money" to do some Math's learning on valuta (money).

I have looked everywhere for a a game with Thai Baht in "plastic money", but couldn't find it anywhere.

Finaly, I did a search on the Internet, and found a few websites who offers "fake money" to print in several currencies.

But the main question is:

"Can an official in Thailand (Police or whatever) who wants to get a promotion arrest me for copying money?"

Even if the money is not real, has a lot of differences to the real money and is only printed on one side, as I see it it is copying of money and copying money is an offense.

Right or not?

What are the solutions to give my child the "plastic money" to learn about handlng the Thai Baht in school?

TIA

play_dollars_100.pdf

I'd contact the school and ask exactly what they mean by plastic money (I'm guessing plastic coins) and where you can get it from.

Could be a misunderstanding between teacher/child/you.

Last thing you want to be doing is printing something that looks like a banknote - especially as it may have a picture of HM.

I'm not expert so don't take my word for it, but I wouldn't have thought it would be illegal if it didn't look anything like real money. For example, you could make up some of your own notes with pictures of cartoon characters. To be safe you could even make up a name for the play currency. That way it wouldn't be Thai Baht and nobody could arrest you for counterfeiting. I'm sure you can't be arrested for carrying monopoly money.

Also, I wouldn't have thought the school would have asked you to do it if it was illegal.

To all the members who have taken the time to respond, I can only say the following:

- Monopoly money is not acceptable unless it is Thai Baht, as the main purpose would be to teach the children count with Thai money. Monoply money in Thai Baht is not available over here upcountry, and even then, the coins are missing and are an important item for learing to handle Thai money.

- The teacher did show me an example from another student who had copies of the frontside of Thai money, including coins. The back was left blank. The money was also downscaled to about 60% of the original size.

But what is acceptable for person A could turn into facing court hearings for forgery and face deportation with blacklist forever.

The copied bills and coins had all the portret of the Thai King, and making the bills smaller in size, printing in a different color or whatever, can be seen as Lesse Majeste.

- I printed a PDF page as included in my OP and showed it to the teacher, but US Dollars was no good as the children needed to learn to count with Thai Baht.

My child has no school until Monday.

I will ask the school what my child need to bring to school, and if it is not available here or imply somethng that could be illegal, I will ask the school to provide it against a fee.

I found today this money and baught 4 packs.

Each pack contains:

4 x 1000 Baht,

4 x 500 Baht,

4 x 100 Baht,

4 x 50 Baht,

4 x 20 Baht.

The seller price is 5 Baht per pack.

The money has the same look as the real Thai Baht, but instead of the King of Thailand, Ben Ten figures are printed.

Unfortunatly I didn't find the Thai coins.

post-10254-1260533509_thumb.jpg

Edit:

The money is in plastified paper.

Edited by coalminer

I found today this money and baught 4 packs.

Each pack contains:

4 x 1000 Baht,

4 x 500 Baht,

4 x 100 Baht,

4 x 50 Baht,

4 x 20 Baht.

The seller price is 5 Baht per pack.

The money has the same look as the real Thai Baht, but instead of the King of Thailand, Ben Ten figures are printed.

Unfortunatly I didn't find the Thai coins.

post-10254-1260533509_thumb.jpg

Edit:

The money is in plastified paper.

Well done. Now you should tell everyone where you found the 'play money'.