Proof Of Onwards Travel By Air Asia?

Here is my scenario

I'm flying from KL - Chiang Mai by Air Asia on 20th March, I plan to get 30 day stamp, then do 2x land border crossings, which will take me until 19th May.

When I depart KL 20th March how likely are Air Asia going to ask for onwards travel proof ? I heard it is airlines that check (not Thai Immigration).

If I have a ticket already booked out of Thailand for the 18th May will that suffice?

I'm sure thousands of people travel Air Asia (and other airlines) I've never heard/seen them check for onwards travel?

Esp a budget airline like Air Asia which lots of backpackers would use, who don't know when/where they are travelling to next

Thanks

I went to KL last month on a two day trip

I was not flying Air Asia but I guess this doesn't change the answer; I was asked to produce a return ticket along with the visa (considering the visa I am on, I did not need to show the return ticket as, anyway I do not hold one)

So you have to hold this return ticket assuming you are on a tourist visa

So expect (from the airline ) to be asked an outward ticket

As for the date I do not think it is a problem as it is still in the frame time allowed by the Thai immigration

If unsure you can always hold, on the top, a confirmed reservation for the date the visa expires

Within the region many of the budget airlines do not check if you have air ticket out within 30 days of arrival if entering on visa exempt entry. They take the risk that in the unlikely event entry into the Kingdom is refused they will have to pick up the tab to fly you out, but with many flights and empty seats it is not a big problem for them.

KL has been asking for onward tickets out of Thailand for the last couple of months...not all the time ..its a bit hit and miss

What airline(s) are you referring to? The Op is asking about Air Asia. Personally I have never seen an onward ticket check with this airline in the region.

I'm flying from KL - Chiang Mai by Air Asia on 20th March, I plan to get 30 day stamp, then do 2x land border crossings, which will take me until 19th May.

Do you plan to stay outside Thailand during those land border crossings?

20th March to 19th May is 61 days. Each of your border crossings will only give you 14 extra days if you return to Thailand on the same day, making it a total of 58 days. So your plan will only take you until 16th May.

• Flight from KL to CM: 20th March until 18th April
    First border crossing: 18th April until 2nd May
    Second border crossing: 2nd May until 16th May

Sophon

I got asked in Phnom Penh last month by Air Asia check in staff, but that has been the first time in 5 years that I have ever been asked for it. I showed my thai driving licence and my non-b visa and that was enough, but they asked everybody in the check in. The made some people go to the air asia desk to buy an onward ticket. I think it was just another way of getting more money.

Edited by thaimiller

I've just done two quick trips Bkk to Hanoi and return to Bkk.

On both return return trips the AA staff in Hanoi were politely and efficiently checking just this point.

I did notice a couple of times that the answers from the passengers invoked the AA staff to call somewhere and then put the passenger on the line.

It seemed that the phone conversation relieved the situation and the AA check-in girls then proceeded with issuing boarding passes etc.

On both return trips I was asked about onward travel. I explained that I live in Thailand and presented my PR book. No further questions.

It is like a lot of other legal matters in Thailand, and like a lot of the questions posted on Thaivisa:

- the fact that someone else was able to get a relaxation of the law is no assurance that you will get one too.

And no, you have no right to complain if you have to follow the law, even though someone else did not.

On this particular issue, I think that airlines sometimes overlook the requirement if you come from a wealthy country, have white skin or they are too busy trying to keep to their flight schedule.

Thank you all for your replies. Especially Sophon, you might have saved my bacon there, cos I miscounted the days you are right it only takes me until May16th!

So here's my other question, I definitely have a valid onwards ticket (with Air Asia also) but it would be 60days after I arrive in Thailand. I plan to fly BKK-KL-London (all via Air Asia) on the 16th May.

Does it pose a problem that it is 60 days (not 30days) after?

Why don’t you obtain a tourist visa from embassy in KL (if that is where your journey starts) before you arrive in Thailand? That would give you a 60 day permission to stay on entry. There is no requirement under Thai immigration rules to have an outbound air ticket if you hold a valid visa. With your planned travels, if you were to do a border run sometime during the last 14 days of your trip, that would give you a new 15 day permission to stay on re-entry which would be enough time to see you through.

Single entry tourist visas are free until 4th March 2010 under current MFA promotion. Would suggest you obtain just before then. The visa will have a 3 month “use by” date from the date of issue, and on entry into the Kingdom your 60 day permission to stay will start.