Uk Settlement Vsa Restictions

I am married to a Thai national and we have a young son who holds both a Thai and UK passports living in UK.

My wife has a two year settlement visa (Valid 27months).

We are having to return to Thailand for approximately 6 weeks but have been informed that taking time out of the UK “may” have a detrimental effect on my wife’s application for permanent leave to remain in the UK at the end of the two year visa.

We would also wish to take holidays (2 to 4 weeks) outside the UK which again we have been informed may pose a problem for UK settlement.

I have searched UK Border Agency web site for specific information on this subject but have been unable to find the appropriate section.

I contacted Border Agency office and spoke to an advisor who informed me that there was no information on the internet regarding this specific topic but he informed me after speaking to another advisor that any time taken outside the UK during the 2 year temporary leave to remain can be made up after getting the appropriate extension to my wife’s visa.

He stated that the usual extension period would be a further 2 years although once time out of the UK has been made up we would then be able to apply for permanent leave to remain.

Anyone had experiance on this one or where can I get written inforatin on this Please ........... Terry