Motorbike Repair

SCARLETIBIS1

Does anyone know of a good, honest mechanic in Chiang Mai who can work on a 1983 Yamaha Virago? I just brought a friend's bike in to a shop in CM and had it restored to some degree so that I could sell it. It had a frame off paint job with the seats replaced, a new battery, a new regulator, re-built alternator, timing chains, oil pump along with brand new chrome spokes and also had the bike cleaned.

The bike looks great but when I went to pick it up it won't stay running. The shop owner told me it would run fine if I did all this work but now I realize I got ripped off. He even had to jump on his bike and go get gas because he was too cheap or stupid or both to put enough gas in the tank to get it started.

I originally brought the bike in to his shop because it had been stored for a year and it would not start. It was running before being stored. The guy told me it needed a new battery and regulator. I had that done. He tried to sell it for two months but no one bought it. So I decided to take it home. I drove about 5 kilometers and the bike quit on me. I took it back to his shop and he said it now needed a new alternator but that there were none around so he rebuilt it.

I decided to fix it up cosmetically and then try to sell it again.

I knew the engine was maybe weak but before I had the work done I asked him if it would run okay and he said it would be fine but now we can't keep it running. He said it is due to the oil mixing with the gas.

I don't speak Thai so I don't understand what is now needed. Clearly, I woudn't have spent the the 17K to get all this done if the bike wouldn't run. I feel like I got ripped off by this guy and I would print his name and shop but the bike is still there.

I mean it was clearly running when I picked it up but then died out due to the electrical problem. Now since he took everything off the bike it does not run. He says he did not do anything to the engine yet it will not run.

So, is there anyone out there who can help me with this situation. I understand parts are hard to find but someone told me a ring job should be easy and inexpensive to fix.

So if anyone knows a good mechanic who can work on this type of bike I would appreciate it.

I can be emailed at lightner1 at gmail.com. Thanks to all.

don't feel too bad ScarletB; I have a 1966'CD 125cc Honda, bored up to 150cc - restored to 75% with chrome + all but still not running to its full capacity. (I've spent 30K baht so far, and will need to upgrade my entire electrical wiring from the original 6Volt main to the now 12volt system which will provide better electrical flow and perhaps a larger carb)

first a older bike always encounters some sort of problems, parts may be scarce (non original) and mechanics unaware of

Virago engine works(isn't your engine block a V shape motor, an early design?) I don't think there are many Virago

running in Thailand.

problem diagnostics; did you check the following - distributor point and correct timing (you need a timing light).

adjustment of carb and idling of motor. your spark plug wire & cap, is your spark plug sparking, if you have a

malfunction in the plug wiring & cap, the motor will quit and or not fire on either cylinder.

what kind of gas/fuel do you feed? 91 benzene will probably be the one for older models.

as I am in Ubon Ratchathani I will be unable to help you find a proper mechanic but if you have some time on hand,

drive around CM and check out the small motorbike shops and observe what kind of bikes are in and out. this will give

you a basic idea if the shop can repair your bike. (you may want to google your bike for a manual and repair tips)

goodluck.

17k wasted. sorry. I gave up on used big bikes in CMai in 2003 as a tourist. To quote Jonathan Winters, "Martha, don't touch it - you don't know where it's been!"

I wish I had as much time to post worthless replies as you do. 16000+ and counting. I am asking for anyone who can help me with info not ruminate on your past follies. LOL But thanks anyway.

17k wasted. sorry. I gave up on used big bikes in CMai in 2003 as a tourist. To quote Jonathan Winters, "Martha, don't touch it - you don't know where it's been!"

I guess leaving your email address is against the rules as my email address was edited. Of course, it would be nice if the person who did it would have taken the time to edit it correctly. My email address is: jlightner1 at gmail.com. Seems kinda childish to have to do it this way. Anyone know the reasoning behind this absudity?