Septoplasty in Chiang Mai

bamboozled

Does anyone have insight into having this done in Chiang Mai, to fix a deviated septum and (possibly) associated sinus infections? Where? Cost? I will do some consultation first with doctors, surely. I have a deviated septum and have recurring sinus infections and restricted breathing. Not sure if the surgery is correct for me but interested in doing the research. Thank you.

Bamboozled

Having that operation in NZ certainly helped my sinus problems, however I had broken my nose about five or six times in my footballing days.

I occasionally get sinus problems over here, but nothing like I had back then, so for what it's worth, and if it's applicable in your situation, I can recommend it.

• Like 1

Thanks people, much appreciated! I will have a look at Sheryl's suggestion. I did read a lot of good things online about it but also about some who went through it and it resolved nothing. That would be a disappointment especially it it's very uncomfortable and big bucks.

One thing I would consider is whether your sinus problems are of long standing and predate the move to (1) Thailand and (2) Chiang Mai (air pollution capital of the world!)

If not, may have more to do with air quality and/or allergies than the deviated septum.

Sometimes the deviated septum is just an incidental finding/

• Like 1

Indeed, Sheryl, thanks for the tip. The sinus issues could be due to the smoke, yes. My breathing is def affected by the deviation so maybe I have two separate issues going on. I have not looked into allergies, well not specifically. I have been plenty of times to the ENT as my nose is always running a little bit but just watery stuff not thick mucus. Always sniffling. The last time the ENT just said maybe that's the way I roll. I forget the term, asymptomatic runny nose. But it would be nice to breathe clearly if that is something that can be addressed. Never probed it in depth.

As Sheryl says above, look into any possible reasons for the sinus issues and try to alleviate them before taking the surgery route.  I had a septoplasty and submucosal turbinate reduction in 2010 and then a subsequent RF coblation of the inferior turbinates in 2016.  Neither seemed to solve the congestion problem and I ended up with “Empty Nose Syndrome” after the 2016 procedure (it has gotten better over time but not 100%).  What finally solved the congestion issues was moving out of the 90 year old apartment building I lived in in Los Angeles (in 2019) which I suspect was the culprit for my nasal congestion.  Let surgery be the last resort after exhausting the search all other potential causes.

• Like 1

Last visit at the ENT she went up my nose with a rubber hose....I mean the endoscope is it? Anyway, the little camera. It was kind of cool looking around in there and I finally found the calculator I have been missing since I was 7 years old. All kidding aside, she did look up there and well, didn't find any polyps that I can recall. That was probably a year ago. She did give me antibiotics for an infection and it cleared. One doctor sometime back was impressed enough with my deviated septum to call me out on it. I don't remember how the convo ended, however. I guess probably was up to me if I wanted to pursue repairing it. For what it's worth, if I pull outward on my face on either side of my nose, I do breathe a lot easier. Perhaps it's the same for everyone. It's also true that I can feel stuffed up/swollen on both sides though there is nothing in my nose. So that might indicate some kind of allergy. I've just never noticed any cause and effect pattern. It seems random. I am not keen on doing the operation but it would be nice to breathe and stop getting the infections. I will do the legwork, you can be sure. Thank you for the input. It's very helpful.

• Like 1