Reporting To Police

Hi All,

I have just been looking at a Thai Immagration web site and noticed, that if you leave the province, in which you are registered for longer than 24hrs, you should report to Police in the province that you are staying. Does anyone do this? I haven't in the past. Although if it is necessary I will in the future. Am going from Khorat to Chaing Mia for Christmas.

jb1

Strictly speaking you are correct.

Section 37 of the Immigration Act 2522 says:

4. If the alien travels to any province and will stay there longer than twenty – four hours , such alien must notify the police official of the police station for that area within forty – eight hours from the time of arrival.

Practically I suspect few people do this. Hotels/guest houses/landlords are required by law to obtain guest details for reporting. For the larger hotels I suspect that probably happens (in which case I would say your information has been provided), but for the smaller places probably not, if indeed details are taken at all (in which case were you really there? :D ). Personally I have never reported when being outside Bangkok for 24 hours+ :)

Apparently the only office ever to make a fuss out of it has been Hua Hin.

And the case was of a traveler arriving and not informing them within 24 hours, then later when he went for an extension (or 90 day reporting, I forgot) he got fined because he never came to report his arrival at his local immigration.

Only report I ever heard in 17 years here!

Hua Hin was doing that to those who asked for the free certificate of residence for a few months. Seemed to be there way to get back at people asking for free service - don't believe it went over well in Bangkok. Have not seen any recent reports of a problem there.