Living Wills Are....s

marshbags

Living wills are a blessing for the dying and their families

By CHULARAT SAENGPASSA

WHO WOULD ever want to live on a life-support system until their last breath, especially if they knew it would only prolong their pain and drastically sap their family's savings? It would be a surprise if anyone were to say, "Yes, I would".

Although modern medical technology offers respirators, resuscitation devices and much more to keep a patient alive, it cannot always promise a good life. Some terminally ill patients have lived on for years but in a vegetative state. They can never talk again, let alone stand up and enjoy their lives. Their loved ones, often, refuse to let doctors remove respirators because they feel guilty about giving such consent.

"The relatives just don't understand that it may be better to remove the devices," National Health Commission secretary-general Dr Amphon Jindawatthana said. He confirmed that all patients in fact have the right to refuse any treatment so long as they are conscious and of sound mind. "But it becomes a problem when they plunge into a state in which they cannot communicate any more," Amphon said. "Sometimes, their relatives just don't let them go".

To help patients avoid being trapped in the dying process, the 2007 National Health Act has allowed people to make living wills, and health professionals to honour such documents. Living wills are instructions given by individuals specifying what actions should and should not be taken in the event that they are no longer able to make decisions due to illness or incapacity. The Cabinet has also approved a ministerial regulation that will make living wills effective nationwide. Amphon insisted the regulation would give people the right to control their own life.

"With the living will, people will be able to leave this world as they wish. No one else will have the right to prolong the dying process," he said. He said that a living will could state such instructions as, "No resuscitation", "No respirator tube" or "Bring me back home". Amphon said living wills would also benefit the patients' relatives, who are often put in a difficult situation when their loved ones cannot function normally or cannot come out of a coma. "It will also be easier for doctors who give treatment. They will know when to stop," he said.

Under the National Health Act, doctors and health workers are not liable to prosecution or conviction when honouring a living will. Amphon said that some doctors have continued to give all-out treatment - even though they know it will only prolong the dying process - simply out of concern that anything less could displease the patients' relatives, who might then file a lawsuit.

"But keeping terminally ill patients alive for nothing could cost the lives of others. New patients may be admitted to hospital and need the life-saving devices," Amphon said. Living wills indeed have many benefits. Relatives will not have to foot unnecessarily high medical bills, and resources would not be wasted on hopeless cases.

"In case they are in a position where they cannot write the living will themselves, they may utter their intentions in front of doctors, nurses, relatives or close friends so that they can prepare the living will for them to sign or mark," Amphon said. The living will would assure the patients that they would be able to leave this world peacefully and with dignity.

Amphon said at least nine Thai hospitals have now launched a project to prepare patients to die in peace. The hospitals include Chulalongkorn, Siriraj, Ramathibodi, Songklanagarind and Priest, as well as the National Cancer Institute.

"If any patient has to die in hospital, their relatives will be allowed to stay by their side. Or if the patients want to go home, their relatives will get full advice on how to take care of them until the end," Amphon added.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 15-12-09

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Ref url:-http://nationmultimedia.com/2009/12/15/opinion/opinion_30118545.php

marshbags :)

Can't comment to the legality of this for foreigners, dont think it should be an issue, i have completed one and copies are with my will and my wife and family, i would like to think my wishes would be complied with?

Can't comment to the legality of this for foreigners, dont think it should be an issue, i have completed one and copies are with my will and my wife and family, i would like to think my wishes would be complied with?

And did you do it by yourself or did you go to a lawyer?

Did it myself, i gave the Thai witnesses a copy of the Thai language one so they understood what it was all about.

Cannot see the need for a lawyer,but if you have a last will and testament lodged with a lawyer then i would suggest they should be given a copy to be attached to your will.

Nice.. still it goes not far enough for me, i would like it if they gave some pain killers or maybe overdosed me instead of letting me suffer and die. Still its better as not being allowed to die.

They should make the dying process then as easy as possible easing pain and so on, not just stopping treatment.

Good news. It's nice to see Thailand showing a degree of sense lacking in many of our home countries.

While officially it does not happen in the U.K., it has been practiced for a long time now.

I remember on one occasion the family doctor responding to a plea by my Father in Law and the family for something stronger to ease his pain when he was dying from cancer.

The doctor told my M in Law that he could do this but it could make him go to sleep as in die and if this was their wish he would increase the dosage.

He told her to think about it along with the probably outcome and consult the adult members of the family, ask them to come to the house and he would then increase the dosage for him, soley to ease his pain.

If this was their wish.

She rang him and he administered a bigger dose in the privacy of the bedroom with everyone present in the next room.

He left, the pain went away and he did indeed go to sleep shortly after, in peace and with a smile on his face surrounded by his loved ones.

At the end of the day it is about suffering a prolonged lingering death and alternatively being allowed to die with dignity and in peace with your loved ones around you.

Preferably at home IMHO

We have all witnessed i,m sure, suffering when there was no hope of getting better and on a personal note of choice, I would certainly prefer the latter part of my last sentence.

More importantly for my nearest and dearest so they would not have to bear the pain and let them rest in eternal peace.

Nice.. still it goes not far enough for me, i would like it if they gave some pain killers or maybe overdosed me instead of letting me suffer and die. Still its better as not being allowed to die.

They should make the dying process then as easy as possible easing pain and so on, not just stopping treatment.

In Zurich, they are civilised enough to allow "asisted dying". Although I don't need it yet(!!), I am comforted that when the time comes I can just end it in a dignified way rather than existing in a disease ridden body with zero quality of life. Go google it. A well known clinic there is Dignitas.

In Zurich, they are civilised enough to allow "asisted dying". Although I don't need it yet(!!), I am comforted that when the time comes I can just end it in a dignified way rather than existing in a disease ridden body with zero quality of life. Go google it. A well known clinic there is Dignitas.

Same in Holland.. also one of the more civilized nations. I dislike nations that are dictated by religion and wont allow it.

These are very popular, and legal in the US, hospitals, and Dr's bills can run any family into complete ruins, they try to keep you alive, even if it is a total waste of time.

Give the surviors and families the last word, to pull the plug . :)

Edited by Stricken

Many thanks for all the genuine support and understanding shown on this very important and personal subject.

In particular the ones that compliment my last post re the very personal unofficial euthanization I described.

As you all post, I for one agree with them, and a big yes from me, it should be allowed in all civilised countries of the world.

I won,t even go down the totally inhumane line of thought and attitude our respective religious authorities road of mis guidance.

IMHO, that is.

Edited by marshbags