What To Grow

Jeff1

what about cherry tomatoes??? some guy just went back recently with piles of seeds that he took from a batch of cherry tomatoes (not hot house types) saying they are expensive in thailand;

Thanks for that Bina .

Thats not a bad idea

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanx, he's in udon thani area... i lost track (he's not speaking with the other thai guys here due to gambling debts he couldnt collect) but when i say lots of seeds, i mean... he cleaned three garbage cans (the big kind not indoor type) full of tomatoes and squished the seeds out, dried them, and took them with him along with plant hormones and some other agricultural stuff... ah! grape grafts he wanted to try, and somthing i have to ask mly friend here he was going to send seeds to his wife of something that there's not a lot of.... will double check.... maybe white corn? or maybe 'fodder corn' ...

do they grow okra in thailand?? cook with it?

avocados must be crushed to be used as cattle fodder and usually not grown with that in mind but just the grade x (garbage grade) types that can be bought cheap, crushed and fed, same as cotton seeds

never heard of pickled avocado and even when avocados were available free, none of th thai guys wanted anything to do with them....

do they grow okra in thailand?? cook with it?

Yes, they do - "ladies fingers" can be found in most markets and put into "gaeng", but it's not a really popular veggie, like other eggplants. Don't know why, but trying a few plants myself this year to see how they produce, along with the more common, "grajiep" or rosella which makes a great fruit cordial and the leaves are nice in chicken soups to add a slightly sour taste. :o

plachon, what is that veggie u mentioned?? latin or common name

okra isnt an eggplant, is it??

i hate eggplants, any kind

everyone here just took seeds of my dried mak nam (those gigantic green leaves with the gourds that turn yellow and hollow when old) ; and our thai cukes got a big response also -- for pickling... people here didnt like the bumps on the skin.... and bitter thai melon didnt go over well either but the pak tong round kinds, did.... i just wish there was a catalogue in latin name and thai for all these wierd veggies i've got (yes i know we've discussed this before but i'm wishing it again)....

funny, only now we planted some okra seeds, will have to see how he cooks with it afterwards....

what with bird flues and pig diseases etc etc... just waiting for a bovine problem, maybe a tofu factory might be good...... :o:D ...

OK , now I have another problem .

On the land that we have we are growing sugar cane . Well actually other people are planting , taking care , cutting and selling the sugar cane but they do give us a few baht for all We do . Last week an old lady from down the road was seen cutting some cane and walking back to her house like it was nothing . Started to make me think that I I was to grow something that you could actually eat , it would all be gone before harvest time !

I know cacti ......

:o

I heard that in India, a lot of the vegetables are grown using untreated human sewage as fertiliser (don't know how true this is), hence one reason why tourists get Delly Belly there. Apparently the locals have developped some immunity to the Escherichia coli (E. coli) — or ETEC — bacteria that is found in faeces.

Does anyone know, what kind of fertiliser they use in Isaan for rice farming? Might go some way to explaining Bangkok Belly...

Katana

In Isaan they use granulated fertiliser that comes in bags for the rice fields, the same as anywhere in the west. They do not shit in the fields or use human excrement for fertiliser. They use toilets the same as you.

So I would suggest you look elsewhere to satisfy your theory on the source of Bangkok belly. Most of the ones that I have seen are caused through an overindulgence in beer. :D

Regards

Mandu

Mandi,
they use granulated fertiliser

Thanks for the info.

[travellers' diarrhoea]is caused through an overindulgence in beer.

Maybe you speak from experience... lol

Regards

Katana

Looks like there isn't much chance of me becoming a stand up comedian! :D

Mandu

• 2 weeks later...
Peanut plants(just the plant not the nut) are excelent as well if you can get them, and the grass I mantioned earlier is very good if you can get it cheap enough.

I mentioned to my wife about feeding peanut plants to the cows but she says that they give the cows gas, is there any truth to this? Issangeorge

Edited by Issangeorge

Peanut plants(just the plant not the nut) are excelent as well if you can get them, and the grass I mantioned earlier is very good if you can get it cheap enough.

I mentioned to my wife about feeding peanut plants to the cows but she says that they give the cows gas, is there any truth to this? Issangeorge

Yes she is right, if you feed them too much they will get "gas" and the "runs" Its great as a supplement to straw though and when its dried does'nt have a problem. Edited by RamdomChances

What can I ( we ) grow , raise that will make the most amount of baht in the shortest amount of time and of course with the smallest investment . Lets say with 15 rie in Isaan .

all input welcome

thank you ,

Jeff

ganja (marihuana) :o

just joke dearest Jeff..

well .. if i was you i woud do mushroom farm ...i think its nicer income ..but you have to study,research more about what's kind of mushroom ...etc..etc (temp,damp..etc)

good luck

your Bambi :D

Edited by BambinA

thanks for the good idea Bambi . I think I would be good for growing mushrooms as im always in the dark and am kept being feed BS .

Actually I did check into shitake's and other big sellers . You have to buy spores from someplace and then try to collect enough new spores so you can grow your own again . It did sound like a good idea but I cant see that small . Anyone see a spore ? Also they are not cheap to buy . Yes I would need to learn alot more about mushrooms first

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...=29448&hl=colic

this is a copy of link... a question i once asked also ... btw, wet legume hay will cause bloat if animal not used to it....

katana

post 2005-03-14 04:52:00

Post #2

Group: Members

Member No.: 7,357

Hi,

From one dictionary I looked in:

Cud (n.) = EU-UHNG เอื้อง

Chew the cud (v.) = KHEEO EU-UHNGเคี้ยวเอื้อง; BOT EU-UHNG บดเอื้อง

May want to have that confirmed by a native speaker.

User is offlineProfile CardPM

Report PostGo to the top of the page

+Quote Post

yoot

post 2005-03-14 10:41:00

Post #3

Member No.: 16,808

In general the type of these animals in Thai term called สัตว์เคี้ยวเอื้องsat(L) kíeow(H)-euang(F)(chewing its cud)

Cud (n.) = EU-UHNG เอื้อง (from katana's post)

the word/s for the action i.e. ruminating/rumination

ruminating/rumination = การเคี้ยวเอื้องkaan(M)kíeow(H)-euang(F)

rumination means act of regurgitating food and re-chewing it.

regurgitating in Thai term is ขย้อนka(L)yon(F) or สำรอกsam(H)rok(F)

the word/s for bloat/colic in ruminants i.e. cows buffalos, sheep etc..

bloat = การบวมแก๊สในลำไส้ใหญ่gaan(M) buam(M) gaet(H) nai(M) lam(M) sai(F) yài(L) - swelling in the large intestine because of gas.

colic = อาการจุกเสียด แน่นท้องaa(M)-gaan(M) jook(L) sìat(L) naen(F) tong(H)

also the terms for helpful bacteria (the kind that are found in the rumen, like the kind that are used to make yoghurts etc) ...

จุลินทรีย์joo(L)-lin(M)-see(M)

Giving too much grain at once in ruminants causes the retention of feed fermented by rumen's bacteria(จุลินทรีย์) increasingly and then Ph will reduce to acidity status (ภาวะการเป็นกรด paa(M) wa(F) gaan(M) bpen(M) grot(L)) and bloat,this causes the rumen stop working.

What can I ( we ) grow , raise that will make the most amount of baht in the shortest amount of time and of course with the smallest investment . Lets say with 15 rie in Isaan .

Jeff

baby

how is " mak ka lee phol"

(thai mythology , tree that has fruit .... and fruit is girl!!)

kidding again

have a lovely day..

your bambi

:o:D

ps..when u grow mango tree , u will get mangoes

when u grow " mak ka lee phol" u will get girls !!!

Edited by BambinA

did you hear that mariuana (kancha) export from Holland passed flowerexport from that country...well to grow it in a cold country like Holland you need a lot of heatingequipment and a good guy from the electricity company for the fixed bill...

15 ray ... Thailand ... electric bill ... your turn !!! :o

grow this one ,

Makalee Pons are strange female beings which are born from magical trees exist only in Himmapan Forest. The strange tree would yeild fruits, and Makalee Pon would come out of these fruits once they are rippen.

In Thai old text, Makalee Pons are eventually become hermit's wives.

you can run Bar

img_sm_mural_magaleepon.jpg

joke nah

BB :o

grow this  one ,

Makalee Pons are strange female beings which are born from magical trees exist only in Himmapan Forest. The strange tree would yeild fruits, and Makalee Pon would come out of these fruits once they are rippen.

you can  run  Bar

joke nah

:D

Why did'nt I think of that !!.... girl trees ! ....I'll be rich ! Where can I get some of those seeds ?

grow this  one ,

you can  run  Bar

joke nah

I think you are going to have to find the Monk that came up with the original idea, as I recall they were mentioned on Ripleys belive it or not. Seems to me like there might actually be something of this nature on display somewhere in Bangkok. Wish I coud remember the legend, but you know how old age is LOL

:D

Why did'nt I think of that !!.... girl trees ! ....I'll be rich ! Where can I get some of those seeds ?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...=29448&hl=colic

this is a copy of link... a question i once asked also  ... btw, wet legume hay will cause bloat if animal not used to it....

katana 

post 2005-03-14 04:52:00

Post #2

Member No.: 7,357

Hi,

From one dictionary I looked in:

Cud (n.) = EU-UHNG เอื้อง

Chew the cud (v.) = KHEEO EU-UHNGเคี้ยวเอื้อง; BOT EU-UHNG บดเอื้อง

May want to have that confirmed by a native speaker.

User is offlineProfile CardPM

Report PostGo to the top of the page

+Quote Post

yoot 

post 2005-03-14 10:41:00

Post #3

Member No.: 16,808

In general the type of these animals in Thai term called สัตว์เคี้ยวเอื้องsat(L) kíeow(H)-euang(F)(chewing its cud)

Cud (n.) = EU-UHNG เอื้อง (from katana's post)

the word/s for the action i.e. ruminating/rumination

ruminating/rumination = การเคี้ยวเอื้องkaan(M)kíeow(H)-euang(F)

rumination means act of regurgitating food and re-chewing it.

regurgitating in Thai term is ขย้อนka(L)yon(F) or สำรอกsam(H)rok(F)

the word/s for bloat/colic in ruminants i.e. cows buffalos, sheep etc..

bloat = การบวมแก๊สในลำไส้ใหญ่gaan(M) buam(M) gaet(H) nai(M) lam(M) sai(F) yài(L) - swelling in the large intestine because of gas.

colic = อาการจุกเสียด แน่นท้องaa(M)-gaan(M) jook(L) sìat(L) naen(F) tong(H)

also the terms for helpful bacteria (the kind that are found in the rumen, like the kind that are used to make yoghurts etc) ...

จุลินทรีย์joo(L)-lin(M)-see(M)

Giving too much grain at once in ruminants causes the retention of feed fermented by rumen's bacteria(จุลินทรีย์) increasingly and then Ph will reduce to acidity status (ภาวะการเป็นกรด paa(M) wa(F) gaan(M) bpen(M) grot(L)) and bloat,this causes the rumen stop working.

what the <deleted> is this ??? :o

to deepdiver

this just shows how well u read posts: chownah really does farm and is asking for real info.... in this very same thread ... so i answered since i too , farm, and have asked the very same questions....

this was his question:

RandomChances, do you know the Thai expressions for 'cud' and 'chewing cud'?

and that long thing was my answer....

to deepdiver

this just shows how well u read posts: chownah really does farm and is asking for real info.... in this very same thread ... so i answered since i too , farm, and have asked the very same questions....

this was his question:

RandomChances, do you know the Thai expressions for 'cud' and 'chewing cud'?

and that long thing was my answer....

And I appreciate the reply, bina. In fact I talked to my uncle today about cud chewing since our neighbors have a very young male cow whose mother died the day after birth so their giving it a bottle or two every day. It seems like it has started chewing the cud now and also its sh1t seems to be more like a mature cow's sh1t. I'm concerned because it never gets to go out and hang out with the other cows...it mostly grazes in our yard and a grassy section of the garden..alone. The dogs have tried to kill it a couple of times but we all came down really really hard on them so I think they've learned...the baby cow hasn't learned to kick at dogs so it seems to me that its not learning some of the other cow skills...whatever they may be....do cows ever grow up neurotic in situations like this? I keep suggesting to my uncle who keeps cows that he should put a tether on one of his young cows and tether the two in close proximity just so that the little one can get used to being with other cows. Am I concerned for nothing?

And I appreciate the reply, bina. In fact I talked to my uncle today about cud chewing since our neighbors have a very young male cow whose mother died the day after birth so their giving it a bottle or two every day. It seems like it has started chewing the cud now and also its sh1t seems to be more like a mature cow's sh1t. I'm concerned because it never gets to go out and hang out with the other cows...it mostly grazes in our yard and a grassy section of the garden..alone. The dogs have tried to kill it a couple of times but we all came down really really hard on them so I think they've learned...the baby cow hasn't learned to kick at dogs so it seems to me that its not learning some of the other cow skills...whatever they may be....do cows ever grow up neurotic in situations like this? I keep suggesting to my uncle who keeps cows that he should put a tether on one of his young cows and tether the two in close proximity just so that the little one can get used to being with other cows. Am I concerned for nothing?
Chownah how old is the calf? What milk are you giving it? cows milk straight form the cow is best if an other female is milking, the milk from the mother is very important in the first few days (forgot what they call it Bina knows) as it contains loads of antibodies, useful bacteria that sort of stuff, you can buy "calf starter" powderd milk with suplaments for about 1000 bhat a 30kg bag, we give this to ours as its a lot cheaper than letting them suckle from the mother. A bag of calf food (0-6 months) is about 170 bhat give it about 1-2 kg a day but just let it eat it when it wants too and make sure it has access to grass or hay, even eating a little bit early will help develope the rumin. I would'nt worry about it being on its own, they dont like it much, but its better to get them strong for the first few months before letting them run with the herd. We usually give them "milk" for 2-3 months on a sliding scale as as they get older they start eating more solid food.

None of our dogs bother the calfs, probably as they are so used to them, usually they wont have "proper sh1t" until they are eating mostly solid food, if it has changed to solids let it run with the herd, or as we sometimes do keep a few around just for keeping the grass and weeds down (saves on buying a laws mower :o )

RC

Chownah how old is the calf? What milk are you giving it? cows milk straight form the cow is best if an other female is milking, the milk from the mother is very important in the first few days (forgot what they call it Bina knows) as it contains loads of antibodies, useful bacteria that sort of stuff, you can buy "calf starter" powderd milk with suplaments for about 1000 bhat a 30kg bag, we give this to ours as its a lot cheaper than letting them suckle from the mother. A bag of calf food (0-6 months) is about 170 bhat give it about 1-2 kg a day but just let it eat it when it wants too and make sure it has access to grass or hay, even eating a little bit early will help develope the rumin. I would'nt worry about it being on its own, they dont like it much, but its better to get them strong for the first few months before letting them run with the herd. We usually give them "milk" for 2-3 months on a sliding scale as as they get older they start eating more solid food.

None of our dogs bother the calfs, probably as they are so used to them, usually they wont have "proper sh1t" until they are eating mostly solid food, if it has changed to solids let it run with the herd, or as we sometimes do keep a few around just for keeping the grass and weeds down (saves on buying a laws mower :o )

RC

It's actually the neighbor's calf and it seems like they did what you recommend...for the first week or so they bought fresh cow milk from a farmer and transitioned it onto powder milk...now it eats grass and I think they don't feed it anything any more...its probably 5 months old now. They let it run around the neighborhood and it spends most of its time at our place since we have the most grass...like having a pet deer...a pet deer that likes to eat orchids...a pet deer that will become a pet pot roast before its time if it keeps eating the orchids!!!

Anyway thanks for the info...I'm considering getting a couple of cows but need to make a small shed for them first so I'm in learning mode right now.

1. first milk is colustrum; i know that here the dairy cow people move the calves at day one to the baby house and they get bottled pasteuraized colustrum (to prevent infection of johnnes disease - para tuberculosis i think its called in english, ? random?); then, after 24/48 hours, they get secondary milk which is richer milk from a cow milking her first week; then after that, they are moved to the various baby cow milk powders...

2. the rumen responds remarkably fast , although preferable to have some other cow's sh-- around for additional rumen bacteria starter ups, or pro biotic rumen starters, or steal some cud (never succeeded and watch your fingers!!!) to give baby; my vet even recommended giving our kids half a cup of (goat milk) bioyogurt when transferring from bottle/milk to grain /hay to help the rumen

3. antibiotics /vitamins (coccidiosis problems etc, same as goats?)

4. if its a female bottle baby, well, can be fun, if its a male, prepare to slaughter at young age as a hand bottle fed baby, socialized to people, can become a big male that sees people as competitors...

or castrate and have an ox

funny enough, someone gave me a two month old kid they were raising in an apartment (!)-- go figure-- but couldnt toilet train (!!) it, so i got her... anemic and underweight since they couldnt get her to take a bottle at a month old, her rumen well developed but low weight gain... which in animals means that she'll be 'not thrifty' (not getting optimal weight/healthy) as a herd animal , but a nice enough pet...and she like to watch television while sleeping on the sofa...

btw, thomas_merton raises goats in thailand, i pm'd him, he just doesnt usually read issaan posts/forum ... well, not him, his father in law does the goat thing.... he's in sukhothai area... if someone of u lives not too far you could maybe get a hold of him and see a thai goat farm ... they are different looking than my goats from the pics i saw, short haired and small eared... and i think he mostly grazes them, but TM doesnt do the farming himself so u would have to pm him to ask...

oh, forgot to mention , chownah... the peanut hay mold (from the other thread, i'm getting confused with threads): watch out for moldy hay/silage, a common cause of poisoning/bloat etc in most grazing animals since some molds are highly toxic...but if u spray against mold while still growing dont u have to wait certain amount of time before harvest so as not to poison the cows with the spray?

Edited by bina

Bina

Yea johnnes disease - para tuberculosis, we've lost a couple of cows to that. We had blood checks done about a month ago though nothing at the moment.

I always thought if you pasturise colustrum it would lose all the "good bacteria" ect. We sometimes leave the calf with the mother the first day/night. Then it gets seperated and is on mothers milk until we can sell the milk (you have to wait for the milk to change normaly about 4-7 days). Then they get powdered "calf starter" twice a day with 24 hr access to baged concentrate food and hay, we've usually got them weaned off milk at about 2-3 months. Then out in an other field with all the calfs. At the moment I've only got one field for the calfs so they vary from 3 months old up too they are ready to inseminate. I should split the field but it would mean building another barn, feeding stall ect probably going to have to do something by next year.

I really need to concentrate a bit more on calf rearing (feed, housing ect)as I've tended to neglect it a bit while concentrating on the milkers. We are geting so many now it becoming a bit of a problem.

I've got a seperate field where we keep the pregnant cows we dont keep them in stalls anymore as I find we get a lot less problems if they give birth out in the field, the only porblem is if one of them has a breach birth at night.

Had to sell a bull about a month back as it was getting too agressive, his mother is one of my best milkers but is "evil"(the one that caved my ribs in) we were hopeing it would'nt inherit her traits but when it got to about 2 yrs old it started attacking people and other cows so it's probably burgers now.

Oh we spray the peanuts after a few weeks but the growing cycle is 75 days so there is plenty of time (not even sure if it affects animals !!)

Edited by RamdomChances