nattydread

I want to purchase a washing machine for my g/f and would like some advice

looking for something basic that does the job

reliable and will last a long time

how long a guarantee do u get and can this be extended

must be cold fill

best place to buy........big store or local dealer

thanks for any advice

If you plan to keep the GF around for a long while be sure to have her with you when making the choice of what models and features. These gals have a mind of their own and if you buy one without her approval you will regret the choice you made no matter how reliable the machine is as she will never let you forget that this one does not have the feature that she wanted.

If it is for her to put off somewhere else (i.e., not being used for your clothes), then the Japanese and German models with no agitator and separate spin bin are OK.

If you want one that really does the best job you will have to pay. Get a top loading with agitator (e.g., G.E.) or a front loading one. But they are expensive compared to the others.

Just bought the wife one, it is a Samsung washer dryer combo, 12kg for 70K baht. Sure hope she likes it.... but I think it might be too complicated for the typical maid :D

I told her, the maid is going to love all your quality appliances :)

i bough a Samsung top loader just 2 years ago for a about 6-7000 baht

and i only used it about once a week.

Last week it stopped filling up with water and the Samsung technicians

came wanting 3000 baht ( almost 50% of the original purchase price to

repair it ). i had the same experience with a Samsung mobile phone

where it was simply not cost effective to repair it.

I will never buy a Samsung product again

Edited by thaijasmine

Just bought the wife one, it is a Samsung washer dryer combo, 12kg for 70K baht. Sure hope she likes it.... but I think it might be too complicated for the typical maid :D

I told her, the maid is going to love all your quality appliances :)

Well all I can do is hope that you really do "pay for what you get." If not.... money down the drain....

I told her, the maid is going to love all your quality appliances :D

Likewise, I havent been real keen on Samsung in my life but about 18 months ago I let go with my bias and bought two products, an 'inverter' aircon system (not cheap 34,000thb) and a lcd computer monitor.

Firstly the aircon unit went on the blink about 2 or 3 days after it being originally fitted, from that point forward until the end of the saga I had Samsung out to the house up to around 11 or 12 times over a 9 month period. They replaced just about every part in the original unit before giving up on the unit and replacing it with a second 'faulty' unit, which they again attended and replaced just about every part in it. We must have made 100 telephone calls to Samsung HQ regarding the product and in the end one of their service technicians that attended our place (about 6 times) told us he was resigning from the company that day & told us that this particular product had been nothing but trouble. Samsung was fairly ordinary to deal with for about 7 of the 9 months, up to the point where we would make half a dozen to a dozen calls just to get them out to do one inspection or attempt repair. In the end, I contacted Samsung and refused to get off the telephone until I spoke with the Supervisors Supervisor. Eventually they refunded my money and came and uninstalled the unit.

Was a nightmare & despite getting a full refund, I wasnt compensated for the dozen or more times I had to travel to the house at various times to meet the service technicians who would never attend at a set time nor the hundreds of baht I spent in phone calls, not to mention the time & frustration in dealing with them.

The day I got my cheque for the aircon system, my 9 month old Samsung LCD monitor went dead and I happily launched the baaastard out to the nevernever :D (Im not going thru all of that again over a 7,000 baht monitor).

Samsung ------ No way. (Not while theres breath in my body) :)

Interesting Hitachi make alot of the electrical motors for some of the other brands washing machines, I decided to buy a Hitachi 8kg washing machine, it was about 11,000 baht, it would be 18 months old now and has worked really well (touch wood), I would say for the price it does a good job. Previously I owned Fisher and Paykel washing machines and found them to be really good but they are expensive in Thailand.

• Haha 1

My wife has an LG 8 KG top loader. No way I would pick it out a washing machine for her. It has a fuzzy logic controller and she has it programmed to suit herself. I'm not allowed to touch it. I had heard bad reports about LG products so I would have chosen a different brand. Maybe the reports were wrong. The machine is used a lot and after five years, it has never had a problem.

I have no idea what make it is, all I remember is paying for it. It's a machine that is exclusively used by the GF. :)

Typical beer guzzling, pie eating, fart dropping male :D

Goes with the old joke, "How did the woman cross the road?"

It doesnt matter, what the hel_l is she doing out of the kitchen?

Edited by neverdie

I have no idea what make it is, all I remember is paying for it. It's a machine that is exclusively used by the GF. :)

That is sure to make you popular with Boo and SBK :D:D

These Samsung stories are really a bummer....

I was willing to buy the Samsung because

1) my wife wanted it, and there are times to pick battles and that was not the time

2 Power buy was offering a free 40inch LCD (Samsung)

3 The wife wanted a "Candy" Samsung that could be purchased for 3K if she spent over 10K baht on a purchase that day....

So we went all "Samsung."

Now why she needs a Candy, when she has an i-phone is kind of vexing.

I certainly hope I do not get bit with the "lemon" bugs as apparently many have.

Oh well, I will worry about this when and if it happens.

Like many of said, you pay for what you get, and no one has yet to come forward with the same machine & complain about it.

All I know is the wife wanted a dryer after having one in the states, so she got a washer dryer combo.

My question is, when do I get the M3 I had in the states?

(Never)

That is sure to make you popular with Boo and SBK :D:D

deep down inside toad, they know their place :D (Now hopefully they dont read that or Im gonna get miself some more moderator/admin action :D )

Interesting Hitachi make alot of the electrical motors for some of the other brands washing machines, I decided to buy a Hitachi 8kg washing machine, it was about 11,000 baht, it would be 18 months old now and has worked really well (touch wood), I would say for the price it does a good job. Previously I owned Fisher and Paykel washing machines and found them to be really good but they are expensive in Thailand.

Do you really think we'd take your advice on a washing machine? We don't want the local babies to start twisting and turning.

My wife has an LG 8 KG top loader. No way I would pick it out a washing machine for her. It has a fuzzy logic controller and she has it programmed to suit herself. I'm not allowed to touch it. I had heard bad reports about LG products so I would have chosen a different brand. Maybe the reports were wrong. The machine is used a lot and after five years, it has never had a problem.

I have LG top loaders in three locations: 5 yrs old, 4yrs old, 2 yrs old.

They wash well, never had one problem with all three machines.

I bought my wife a Panasonic Top loader, Large capacity 13 Kilo She used it for 9 months EveryDay No problems. Not cheap but you get what you pay for

I bought this in order that she could use in to wash for others in order to generate a bit of income. The large cap meant she could wash Duvets.

If you have a garden no need to have the drying facility just hang them out in the garden

Interesting you only want Cold fill I have never seen one in Thailand that has hot and cold fill, all the ones I saw Only had Cold fill

i bought a 8kg Samsung from Powerbuy

Crikey, that's a little un, mine's at least 50kgs :)

Go with a front loader with the highest temp setting you can afford, op. The top loaders are ok for getting stuff wet, but are not as efficient at washing as the front-loading, gravity washing jobbies. Had a Zanussi for 6 years-plus and works well three times a week.

Bought a new one for the inlaws a couple of months ago.

Bit of a no-brainer, just got the biggest one in the local shop. All top-loaders anyway, water supply being via hosepipe.

Any problem, goes straight back to the boss.

No idea how it works, but the women know :)

I have a top-loading LG with fuzzy logic and just love it. Hubby's not allowed to touch it, although he keeps asking me if there's some way to turn off all the chirping noises it makes when it needs fabric softener or is set leew. I often start up the day's load just before he takes his afternoon nap and the laundry room (closet) is right next to our bedroom.

This is a choice that should be made by whoever is going to operate the machine.

Most young girls have about as much chance of understanding a washing machine and its various features as designing a space ship. You have to take her ability into account.

When I bought the last one, I could just as easily have bought a LG or a Panasonic. I just got a deal with a few Panasonic things together which made it sweeter for me. Totally reliable so far. They are not space ships and are only simple machines in reality.

heres some general advise, given to me by a Hoover representative some years ago- buy a toploader

the pressure exerted by the load on the toploader's tub shaft is uniform and vertical

on a front loader its exerted horizontally and wears out the bearings quicker

as an example try holding a 10Kg weight horizontally at arms length

then the same 10kg on your chest

see which you can do the longest......

front loaders were only designed to go under modern kitchen units

if you don't need to that, then get a toploader