Ancient Jews Compared To Modern Thais

Jingthing

Hanukkah recently ended. Most know it as a cheerful, minor Jewish holiday mainly for the kiddies. Who knew that was a happy face whitewash and that the holiday originated around a CIVIL WAR between ancient Jewish factions and that one of those factions can be linked to modern day Thais?

In the aftermath of the devastating losses inflicted by Rome on the Jews of Judea—beginning with the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 C.E., more than 200 years after the time of the Maccabees—the rabbis wanted to shape an inward-looking Judaism. They chose to portray the Jews as a historically small, proud, self-isolating people (think today's Vietnamese, Thais, Koreans), ready to martyr themselves in the battle against tyranny, a people capable of sustained spiritual resistance to foreign domination.
http://www.slate.com/id/2237656/

Apparently one of the ancient Jewish factions were traditionalists resistant to change and the other were more sophisticated and highly influenced by the dominant cultural influence of the day, Greece. I'll leave it up to you to think of a tie in to the modern Thais with that one.

OK, this part is off topic and probably belongs in the health section. How would ancient people make themselves uncircumcised? It boggles the mind.

At that time there were some evil-doers in Israel who tried to win popularity for a policy of integration with the surrounding nations. It was because the Jews had kept themselves aloof for so long, they claimed, that so many hardships had befallen them. They acquired a following and applied to Antiochus, who authorized them to introduce the Greek way of life. They built a Greek gymnasium in Jerusalem and even had themselves uncircumcised.
Edited by Jingthing

Do you agree with the article that implies that modern Thais portray themselves as a (partial quote change) "historically small, proud, self-isolating people ready to martyr themselves in the battle against tyranny, a people capable of sustained spiritual resistance to foreign domination?" I do. Look at all the xenophobic anti-foreigner laws, the education system fostering myths about Thai history, the extreme nationalism.

I can't really figure a connection between the ancient Jewish civil war and the current Thai civil war lite. Can you?

Edited by Jingthing

Do you agree with the article that implies that modern Thais portray themselves as a (partial quote change) "historically small, proud, self-isolating people ready to martyr themselves in the battle against tyranny, a people capable of sustained spiritual resistance to foreign domination?" I do. Look at all the xenophobic anti-foreigner laws, the education system fostering myths about Thai history, the extreme nationalism.

I can't really figure a connection between the ancient Jewish civil war and the current Thai civil war lite. Can you?

:) there could be something in it...

You have had your answers by other posters.

You are barking up the wrong tree if you think Thais will become martyrs against tyranny. Whether nationalistic or not, they do not have it in them to fight for principles. So i think you are wrong.

You are right however in saying you can't figure a connection between the ancient Jewish civil war and the Thai civil war.

Coffee time may be best, Jingthing. Relax and enjoy life.