Scarring Due To Insect Bites

Latindancer

I visited my fiance's family near Udon THani on the weekend and was saddened to see a little girl, about 8 years old, with bad scarring on her legs. Her mother told me that some kind of insect had bitten her and that she scratched the bites. There was no problem in Summer, but they got itchy in the dry Winter climate. There were a few scars of about 3 or 4 centimteres in diameter. They had been to a doctor who gave her some cream, but it had no effect.

I am not sure if they expected some kind of immediate miracle cure and then discontinued the cream use, or if they had continued it and it really did do nothing. I would have thought that if it was OK in Summer, keeping it moist in Winter would stop the itch.

Is it possible that there is some kind of virus or bacteria present ? I don't want to go following a red herring here.....after all, it does appear to be ok in Summer. I have seen many small scars on Asian peoples' legs due to mosquitoes, but these are much bigger. They are only slightly raised scars. Not exactly keloid scars, but as far as I know, Asian people do have a TENDENCY to keloid scarring.

Any suggestions, folks ? My own thought is to just tell her to see a DIFFERENT doctor..........

Hi!

Does the girl have any allergy?

Perhaps she is allergic to something seasonal that she eats in the summer but not in the winter.

I had a few scars from insect bites before and i went to a skin doctor and a skin therapist in europe to ask for help when i was there.

They both said that asian skin (mostly skintype 4) has so much more active pigment than other skintypes and you can have the best healing skin but the pigment can STILL cause scarring.

If you are allergic to something the reaction can be stronger and that is why it is itching so much.

Not all food allergies gives a reaction in the stomach, the reaction can just as well be in the skin, or in the throat.

Some people, like my husband, get allergy reactions during the rain.

One pharmacist said it is because some seeds and spores from plants come up during rain.

Then you get it under your shoes and into your house.

If you use aircon it flows around in the air in the house.

I am sure the scars can be removed or at least get better with creams and laser but if you don't treat the cause of the reaction it will most certainly be the same when she gets bitten again.

Take care,

comehome :)

Edited by Comehome

It would appear to be mostly allergy - my little half-Thai daughter is highly allergic to ant bites - those tiny,weeny ants that are often in the laundry after it's been outside. Solution: stop the scratching. There is a calamine-like lotion available cheaply from all Thai pharmacies that is fabulous - the other excellent anti-itch cream is systral (also available form most Thai pharmacies for about 45 baht). Once she has scars, they can be treated over time with Vitamin E. Buy a bottle of Vitamin E capsules (sorry - expensive) and piece one capsule each morning and night and massage the oil directly into the scarred areas. After 2-3 months you'll see dramatic improvement.

Check for Rove Beetles... http://docfiles.blogspot.com/2007/06/paede...dermatitis.html They might be your problem.

this is very interesting... as this looks like what I have on me... I have these lesions mainly on my chest and arms. I am a foreign monk living at a very out in the country temple... they don't seem to go away... I've tried cleaning them with rubbing alcohol then applying some anti-septic creams, but their still there...