Ways To Improve Lung Capacity

Wrong Turn

Run 20km as fast as you can three times a week for the next six months. Have a ciggie each time before you start your run and your lungs will grow even more .

If you start to experience pain in the knees, then perhaps a 50-60km of hard cycling might give the same benefit without the impact on the knees by way of the circular things they have where your feet normally go.

Merry Christmas no pain no gain happy new year.

check the internet. there are dozens of lung trainers on the market (a lot of them grossly overpriced). i had to use one of them after my open heart operation a year ago for several months and still use it once in a while. received it when i was in rehab-clinic. no brand name. it's some "el cheapo" plastic gadget with adjustable resistance for inhaling as well as exhaling.

check the internet. there are dozens of lung trainers on the market (a lot of them grossly overpriced). i had to use one of them after my open heart operation a year ago for several months and still use it once in a while. received it when i was in rehab-clinic. no brand name. it's some "el cheapo" plastic gadget with adjustable resistance for inhaling as well as exhaling.

Did it work, did you notice any benefit/improvement?

Take up mountain biking and climb the steepest nastiest roads and single track trails that you can find. I guarantee your lung capacity will increase dramatically. It actually ends up a rather fun way to to stay in shape, and the endorphin effect keeps you coming back for more. If you don't live in a rural area, you might be forced to jog up high rises. I did this in China when I was trapped in the cities.

Expand your lugs by a big intale of air , Then hold your breath as long as you can , keep doing this longer and longer , thats the only way i know ,

Thank you.

I have been doing this. I think it works. I take very deeeep breaths. And, slowly exhale. I'll try to holding my breathe.

Thanks.

Run 20km as fast as you can three times a week for the next six months. Have a ciggie each time before you start your run and your lungs will grow even more .

I DO NOT SMOKE

I never said I smoked.

Why are people talking about cigarettes and smoking?

I don't smoke.

my kids were told to inflate balloons, do any sport that is similar to swimming and like someone said, there are those plastic flow toys that teach u to breathe properly, with little balls or flowers that spin... my mom was a respirotory therapist so always got these toys as examples from the supplier.

guess it depends what your lung problem is. first u would want to get a good base line from something called 'personal best' (a flow meter for using daily to see what your base line is. my duaghter used one for a while when she started some new meds for her asthma, to prove to her that they were ind eed working, and to foresee a potential attack. for a teenager its a great tool for them to learn to self improve and keep up with meds.) the lbowing up balloons works for her, as did other sports (dance, horseback riding -albeit she had astham attacks cause of the horses- but the exercise works.

good luck

bina

I DO NOT SMOKE

I never said I smoked.

I don't smoke.

Its a natural presumption when it comes to someone having problem with their lungs ... you also didnt say you had problem with your lungs i know.

Why not try a few different methods and see what is best for you variety is the best in working out so same rules may apply to this, try some of the more difficult ones that youd wince at... unfortunately there is a bit of truth in no pain no gain, but push your self in moderation..

Good Luck.

Edited by whichschool

I DO NOT SMOKE

I never said I smoked.

I don't smoke.

Its a natural presumption when it comes to someone having problem with their lungs ... you also didnt say you had problem with your lungs i know.

Why not try a few different methods and see what is best for you variety is the best in working out so same rules may apply to this, try some of the more difficult ones that youd wince at... unfortunately there is a bit of truth in no pain no gain, but push your self in moderation..

Good Luck.

Thanks for all for the replies. I will try to blow-up balloon strategy.

I should have been more clear on why I want to increase lung capacity.

I live in a city with pollution, and I do wear a mask. But when I sleep (of course, laying horizontal) I often wheez, now. I am 39.

Also, I am an instrutor want to project my voice better in class. I think (hope?) that increasing my lung capacity will give me more air and be easier on my voice.

I will also try cardio.

Thanks for all of the replies.

ifu are wheezing when laying down, u should be going to a good lung doctor/cardiologist to rule out other things... my kids are asthmatic/ only the one wheezes at night and she gets inhaled buticort now, with ventolin at night before sleeping, as needed.(we thought of symbicort but she didnt want that to be used every day so the buticort for problematic seasons was our -doc's and our- solution)

her lung capacity is rather large as is my son's- both play sports, but they are called 'happy wheezers'..i.e. their lungs have become used to be used in a lessesed capacity w/o my kids feeling the affects. not a very healthy thing... therefore proper i.d. of the problems, causes and course of treatment is the best way to go. also, u didnt say if u are overweight, etc...

as for projecting voice, a voice teacher/speech therapist would be the one to teach u proper breathing methods.. although i found yoga breathing excercises helpful for controlled breathing...

bina

israel

ifu are wheezing when laying down, u should be going to a good lung doctor/cardiologist to rule out other things... my kids are asthmatic/ only the one wheezes at night and she gets inhaled buticort now, with ventolin at night before sleeping, as needed.(we thought of symbicort but she didnt want that to be used every day so the buticort for problematic seasons was our -doc's and our- solution)

her lung capacity is rather large as is my son's- both play sports, but they are called 'happy wheezers'..i.e. their lungs have become used to be used in a lessesed capacity w/o my kids feeling the affects. not a very healthy thing... therefore proper i.d. of the problems, causes and course of treatment is the best way to go. also, u didnt say if u are overweight, etc...

as for projecting voice, a voice teacher/speech therapist would be the one to teach u proper breathing methods.. although i found yoga breathing excercises helpful for controlled breathing...

bina

israel

Thank you, bina.

Yes, I'm overweight. About 40-50 lbs.

Yes, a trainer/voice teacher is best. Far more effective to be shown this in person, than to read about it.

Thank you,

Take singing classes and learn about how to use the stomach to enhance your voice.

It you start taking classical singinglessons you will learn how to fill your lungs to the maximum by simply opening the back of your throat and ribcage all at once. :D

Another exercise is to make the sound of "ssssssssssss" as long as you can.

Try different pressures of the air, a loud ssssssssssss and then a more silent sssssssssssss.

Take time how long you can hold it, if you like. Then it is easier to see your improvements.

For everytime you do it you exercise your lungs a little bit.

When you get a hang of the "ssssssssss" you can try sounds like "schhhhhhhh" and "fffffffffffffffffffffff".

I remember when we tested our lung capcaity in school. We blew air into a machine which mesured the pressure and amount of air in only one exhale.

The ones with the best lung capacity were the ones playing flute, trombone, saxophone and other instruments like that.

I believe the girl who played the oboe was the winner. :)

I believe filling ballons is a good start as well. :D

good luck and have fun!

Take care,

comehome :D

Edited by Comehome

to increase your lung capacity(very vague concept) a multifaceted approach would be best:

1. Lose Body fat-not just weight but bodyfat

2. Pick up high intensity interval training with aerobic training

3. Use lung exercisers/trainers with intakes and exhales

next you would need to reduce your body's oxygen needs ie make ur breath last longer, reduce heart rate etc

1. swim

2. hold ur breath under water(prevent cheating) and relax

3. Swim on single breaths as far as you can (just like deep swimmers)

4. high tech approach- train in low oxygen chambers which simulates high altitudes

Id gone from 40seconds static breath with no movement to 3 minutes swimming a gentle lap and used those methods minus the chamber/altitude training.

all that stuff can help but frankly someone at age 39 and 50 pounds overweight, wheezing when sleeping? doctors first-- although starting to live a healthier life style cant hurt either. and probably excercise indoors, not outdoors where pollution is high.

bina

I'll go with the stomach training as well as the deep breathing , I was taught that in the Brit army to enable giving commands the full length of the parade ground that could be clearly understood . Incorporate the breathing into your normal day , humans are 'Shallow breathers ' so you need to keep the flow going , also , stomach breathing enhances relaxation and stress relief .

I reckon that if you have a pool facility then swim as much as you possibly can as a starter, but as a previous poster said - if you are overweight then get your doctors advice as to what kind of exercises to start with . Good luck, but take your time, slowly slowly slowly and your body will appreciate it to start with - as will your heart etc.

As a city dweller, access to stairs should be simple. If you are medically cleared, build up your capacity by climbing slowly daily until you are able increase to a jog and continue as needed on some kind of a regular schedule. No need to buy anything or go anywhere.

Yoga.

Hatha yoga teaches breathing techniques as the basic of all postures.

Over about 5 years mine was 25% better than peers tested at the same time as a research project to determine "normal" variances in vital capacities.