Visa Question

mccw

Hello

My 1 year non immagrant "o" visa ran out on 15th decmber. i crossed the border and re-entered on the day so now have until 14th march. I don't have the 400k neccassary to show for an exstention of a year. A freind in Kho pangnang said they exstend at samui imigration and don't have to show this. Anyone experience like this with chiang mai immigration or are they real sticklers. My second son is due to be born on the 7th of march so a several day trip to loas for a tourist visa would not be ideal. missions to burma every 2 weeks would be a right pain but do-able if no other option i guess. Maybe i could go to loas before birth but wouldn't want to miss it if he came early and our 2 year old is quite a handful for me let alone trying it with a gaint belly ready to pop.

Any suggestions much appreitiated.

Thanks

You can only get a 1 year extension if you have either 400,000 in a Thai bank account for at leas 2 months or have an income of 40,000 baht a month (can be from abroad).

If need be you can get an extension of 60 days from immigration, without the need to show money or income. Just pay 1,900 baht. This extension is only given once, not back to back!

Yo would need to show marriage certificate and might want to bring the misses with you, or a note from the doctor explaining she is pregnant and can't come with you, and a copy f her ID and household registration.

If the OP is a woman and married to a Thai man then no she doesn't need to have money in the bank. If you are a man, you both need to go to immigration for the extension. You will need either a work permit with a job that pays 40,000bht/ month or 400,000 in the bank. There are no exceptions. If you have any job at all, get a work permit. With a work permit no matter what your income is, you can get the extension based on working, rather than supporting your wife. Immigration actually makes it easier for people that aren't married.

You will need a lot of paperwork for the 1 year extension. Malaysia will give you a multiple entry one year expiration date, so if all else fails just go do the KL from CM on Air Asia. At most the whole trip will cost about 15k baht including the visa. Not too bad if you dont' have the savings.

good luck and congrats on the baby

I might be wrong but.....once you leave Thailand, the visa you are here on is cancelled unless you have a multi entry visa or you get a r-eentry permit. It sounds like when you came back you were given a 90 day tourist visa. When that expires, maybe you can apply for a marriage visa.

I'm not an expert and apoligize if my comments are not correct.

If the OP is a woman and married to a Thai man then no she doesn't need to have money in the bank. If you are a man, you both need to go to immigration for the extension. You will need either a work permit with a job that pays 40,000bht/ month or 400,000 in the bank. There are no exceptions. If you have any job at all, get a work permit. With a work permit no matter what your income is, you can get the extension based on working, rather than supporting your wife. Immigration actually makes it easier for people that aren't married.

You will need a lot of paperwork for the 1 year extension. Malaysia will give you a multiple entry one year expiration date, so if all else fails just go do the KL from CM on Air Asia. At most the whole trip will cost about 15k baht including the visa. Not too bad if you dont' have the savings.

good luck and congrats on the baby

Thanks for the info regarding KL and the 1 years multi-entry one. Do you know if Vientien might do this also? When was it that you last did this? how many days processing time please?

Cheers

You can only get a 1 year extension if you have either 400,000 in a Thai bank account for at leas 2 months or have an income of 40,000 baht a month (can be from abroad).

If need be you can get an extension of 60 days from immigration, without the need to show money or income. Just pay 1,900 baht. This extension is only given once, not back to back!

Yo would need to show marriage certificate and might want to bring the misses with you, or a note from the doctor explaining she is pregnant and can't come with you, and a copy f her ID and household registration.

I'm on the bonus 90 days having re-entered just before the end of the 1 year multi-entry. Is the 60 day exstension still available or only for those exstending at the end of a single entry 1 year?

If the 40k is coming from abraod would tax be payable on that in thailand?

Thanks

I thought you only got a 30 day extension for the 1,900bht at local immigration.

But you can get it on the end of any Visa.

Normally it is 30 days, the 60 day extension mentioned is an exception, for those married to a Thai woman.

Edited by beechguy

I'm on the bonus 90 days having re-entered just before the end of the 1 year multi-entry. Is the 60 day exstension still available or only for those exstending at the end of a single entry 1 year?

If the 40k is coming from abraod would tax be payable on that in thailand?

Thanks

You can get the 60 day extension.

The income is either from abroad or from within Thailand. if it is from within Thailand you need to show Thai tax papers over your income. If it is from abroad, you need a letter from your embassy confirming your income. (Normaly) you don't pay tax in thailand over your income abroad.

I thought you only got a 30 day extension for the 1,900bht at local immigration.

But you can get it on the end of any Visa.

Only on a tourist visa can you get a 30 day extension. On a non-immigrant visa and visa exempt entry it is only 7 days and you will pobably need to show a ticket out of the country within those 7 days.

Only people marreid to a Thai national or with Thai children can get an extension of 60 days on any kind of visa.

I am fully aware this thread is about a visa enquiry but what I find concerning is that the OP seems to be looking at ways to stay in Thailand without much funding and yet his GF/wife is expecting their baby in a few weeks time.

If the OP is now struggling to take care of himself financially, so what about the welfare of the child after it`s born and his other child?

I would think the most common sense solution is to return back to his home country with his lady and child and work until he is financially stable enough to be able to live in Thailand again or return to his home country alone, work and send money over for the support of the mother of his children and his children.

The issue here should be, not what is conveinient for the OP, but the welfare and well being of the children.

Edited by BigWheelMan

I am fully aware this thread is about a visa enquiry but what I find concerning is that the OP seems to be looking at ways to stay in Thailand without much funding and yet his GF/wife is expecting their baby in a few weeks time.

If the OP is now struggling to take care of himself financially, so what about the welfare of the child after it`s born and his other child?

I would think the most common sense solution is to return back to his home country with his lady and child and work until he is financially stable enough to be able to live in Thailand again or return to his home country alone, work and send money over for the support of the mother of his children and his children.

The issue here should be, not what is conveinient for the OP, but the welfare and well being of the children.

Many Thai families live on less than 5000bht a month. I'm not quite sure why a white man married to a Thai lady with a Thai child should be expected to have 8x that income. I'm also not sure why you should expect a Thai lady and her child to be supported by the tax payers of another country. If you think it is a good idea to leave your Thai wife alone in Thailand then you clearly don't understand the ways of the Thai lady.

Edited by pjclark1

Many Thai families live on less than 5000bht a month. I'm not quite sure why a white man married to a Thai lady with a Thai child should be expected to have 8x that income. I'm also not sure why you should expect a Thai lady and her child to be supported by the tax payers of another country. If you think it is a good idea to leave your Thai wife alone in Thailand then you clearly don't understand the ways of the Thai lady.

True say.

I'll add that: I don't think any wife would apritiate being left alone to take care a 2 year old and new born baby. Less money and a united familly is surely better for kids than richish, but dad only shows up for half the year.

Luckaly we've got enough coming in to be comfy, so you needn't worry about the childrens welfare; cheers for your concern though, i'm sure it was well intended.