Patong Beach 1974

South

The 'norm' according to who? I think it's a bit too subjective for you to decide what the norm is. As people have pointed out, Paradises are only that, because they are an escape from reality, something very different from every day life. When it comes down to it, most people would be dribbling messes if they had to actually live in them for any length of time. How many people would actually want to live in Patong back in the time that photo was taken? Visit yes, live, not many. So sentiment aside, yes Phuket is a still a paradise for me and many others. Today, you have choices that you didn't have back then. You still have plenty of beaches far better than the one in the photo, all the way up to the bustle of Bangla, and everything in between. So to hanker after the Patong in that photo, makes no sense to me, and maybe is a sign that you've reached that age where you say the words 'In my day' and 'I remember when' far more often than is healthy.

Second Woohoo. If a deserted beach is paradise, they are to be found all along thailands coastlines, but not in Patong any more.

To me Phuket is Paradise being a combination of developed areas, and a short drive to deserted areas or just Kata Beach 7 am in the morning :)

Re: Phuket & Paradise

I'm sticking to what I've already stated. Phuket is now an over-built and over populated island. It might well be 'paradise' to some, but for me, living with congested roads, an ever growing population and where it seems every bit of spare land is being developed, paradise it is most definitely is not. It is certainly not as close as one can get to paradise as stated by phuketrichard. Each to their own, if you think it's paradise then that is your prerogative. That's ok. We're all entitled to our own opinions and I've stated mine. That's all I'm saying.

Happy New Year to you all. :)

I stayed there in 1978. Patong Beach Hotel had been built by then but the beach pretty much looked the same.

Much better in those days.

:) ...yes, the only hotel on Patong and also the only place with a radio-phone connection; there were no telephones on Patong in those days.

Staid 2 nights in the Patong Beach Hotel and moved into Patong Beach Bungalows, right on the beach, next.

We were lucky that the Tsunami didn't hit the bay in those days otherwise we would have been gone...

Those days will never return but it's a memory to cherish.

LaoPo

Hello

Do you knw of any specific website that has old pictures of thailand and preferably Phuket / Samui / Pattaya / Bangkok etc

I tried going through google and came up with one or two sites with a few pictures but not many.

Considering how many people have passed through I would have thought alot on line.

The pics you had were great and it would be very interesting to see more.

Any ideas ??

Thanks

Nirvana

Hello

Do you knw of any specific website that has old pictures of thailand and preferably Phuket / Samui / Pattaya / Bangkok etc

I tried going through google and came up with one or two sites with a few pictures but not many.

Considering how many people have passed through I would have thought alot on line.

The pics you had were great and it would be very interesting to see more.

Any ideas ??

Thanks

Nirvana

As this isnt my blog or site, and I am not connected to it in any way, and its to a non commercial site.. I think I am allowed to put this link up.

Sorry I am lost by your reply as to how it answers in amy way my question

??

Nirvana

He was trying to give you a website that I assume was related to what you were asking about in your post, but then the web address was removed according to TV rules. If you're a good boy/girl he may send it to you via PM.

I first went to Patong in May '85, stayed at Paradise Bungalows, was indeed Paradise back then. Quit going to Patong in '92, too much development for me by then.

Oddly enough I stopped going to Patong about then. I went to Rawai / Chalong after that mainly for live aboard fishing trips.

great pics, thanks, interested in the history

back then - what roads (unsealed I presume) were there on the island. Karon-Patong? Patong-Kamala? and so on.

Airport - or bus from Bkk?

cheers

Here is a very interesting blog about life in Patong late 70's and 80's. Warning: It's very addicting.

I remember reading in here that there was no road or path to Karon or points south, only a narrow footpath to the beach where La Meridain now sits. (What is that beach called?)

For those who dived here so long ago, I would be very interested to hear how the underwater ecosystem has changed on 20-30 years. The baseline to establish coral damage and dwindling fish population is very difficult to determine and always shifting.

Edited by LivinginKata
Link removed as per forum rules