Sonoran Hot Dog!

kikoman

The Newest Mexican Food that has taken Arizona by Storm is the Sonoran Hot dog. Pictured below

Sonoran_Hotdog.bmp

I remember eating them in Hermosillo Sonora a while back, seems like they are a hit in Arizona,I have the Site address below.

http://kellytheculinarian.blogspot/2007/07...oran-hotdoghtml. (I could not pull up the article, just type (Sonoran Hotdog) into search. The Article is #6, read all of them.

The article is over 2 years old !

Now that is something I would buy, if someone sold them here in Thailand.

I wish someone would, most of the ingredients are available in Thailand.

They are truly a great hot Dog

Cheers:

Edited by kikoman

Such hotdogs are found not just in Hermosillo, but all over Sonora and Baja California Norte y Sur. I've also seen them in most other Mexican states, as well as Mexico City.

Hermosillo is also famous for its tacos de cabeza. One Hermosillo vendor back in the 90s used to sell over US$1000 worth of tacos on a good day/night. And famous for its beautiful women as well. :)

The Sonoran hot dog, found in Tucson, Metro Phoenix, and in neighboring Sonora, Mexico, is a hot dog grilled in a processor or on a griddle, wrapped in Mesquite-smoked bacon, topped with freshly-chopped tomatoes, onions, shredded yellow or cotijo cheese, tomatillo salsa or red chili sauce, pinto beans, mayonnaise, ketchup and/or mustard, and served on bread. Often served with a fresh-roasted chili. Douglas, Arizona is known for the hot dog speciality with hot dog trucks lining many of the city's parks, the most famous being Rico's Hot Dogs who have claimed the 10th Street Park as their domain.

Bacon-wrapped hot dogs served by food cart barbecues are quite popular throughout SoCal. Often called Tijuana dogs, or, in L.A., Guadalajara dogs, served at Pink's with relish, onions, tomatoes and sour cream.

Pink's hot dog meal

la_trip_pinks_meal.jpg

Here's a list of other popular U.S. hot dog toppings:

1. The Plain Dog - HD on a bun

2. The Chili Dog - HD with chili (mustard, onions & cheese)

3. The Bacon Chili Cheese Dog - topped w/3 strips of bacon, tomatoes & cheese

4. The California - HD with guacamole, sprouts & sunflower seeds

5. The Southwest - HD with homemade chili, chopped red onions, shredded cheddar cheese & crushed Fritos

6. The Southwest 2 - HD with homemade corn relish & diced bacon

7. The Greek - HD with diced sun dried tomatoes, feta cheese & chopped pitted Kalamata olives

8. The Fruity - HD with sliced peaches, chopped scallions & fruit chutney

9. The Capresse - HD with diced mozzarella cheese, basil, minced garlic & drizzeld a dash of olive oil

10. The Mexican - HD with salsa, nacho cheese sauce & broken tortilla chips

11. The Chinese - HD with chop suey

12. The Portugese - HD with sardines and anchovys

13. The Cuban - HD with fried plantains

14. The Southern - HD with cheese grits

15. The Hawaiian - HD with crushed pineapple & coconut

16. The Tarheel - HD with BBQ & slaw

17. The Rocky Top - HD with sausage gravy

18. The Gator - HD with shrimp salad

19. The Jimmy Carter - HD with peanut butter & jelly

20. The Elvis - HD with peanut butter & banana

21. The NY Deli - HD with chopped chicken liver & thin sliced onion

22. The Italian Dog - HD with diced and sauteed potatoes, onions & red/green peppers

23. The Guadalajara Dog - HD with relish, onions & tomatoes, topped w/sour cream

24. The Chilikraut Dog - HD with chili & sauerkraut

25. The Nacho Cheese Chili Dog - HD with nacho cheese & chili

26. The Chicago Polish Dog - HD with mild or spicy, mustard, relish, onions, tomatoes, lettuce - NO CHILI

27. The New York Dog - HD with Red spicy onions

28. The Coleslaw Dog - HD with coleslaw

29. The Rosie O'Donnell Long Island Dog - 10" HD topped with mustard, onions, chili & sauerkraut

30. The Brooklyn Pastrami - HD with pastrami & swiss cheese

Gourmet hot dogs

Edited by zaphodbeeblebrox

Hey man, they are bad for the environment man! :)

Charcoal barbecues are banned in Los Angeles County, but the Guadalajara dog carts operate anyway. In Thailand, they would need to ban all the field burning to make a dent on the smoke pollution.

ye gots to be jokin' :D ...did everyone just up an' throw out their hibachis?...I been away too long...why, just the other day me BiL described how he marinated an' grilled sum salmon steaks in Pasadena in the usual way...I said 'fool! 'samatta widchoo? do fresh dill an' butter in the oven like yo' momma useta make'...he's still grillin' wid charcoal..

now...I like the idea of a mexican hot dog...(menacing unshaven characters wid bandoleros and charro hats: 'haw, haw, haw...quiere unos perros calientes!...haw, haw, haw...y por donde quieres que te nos meten gabacho cabron?'...revolvers are drawn, etc...)

:D

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I as the OP request that this thread be closed immediately.

Thank You

Cheers:

I as a LP (later poster) request that this thread be left open. :)

What's next? A Mexican-ized steak and kidney pie? It would be nice to see these Mexi-dogs available in Thailand, but here in Pattaya we don't even have one half decent Mexican eatery that serves more standard Mexican food, so baby steps first.

Edited by Jingthing

Well you've seen the Mexican Hot Dog.

How about the Korean Hot Dog?

First I heard of this was today. Korean Hot Dog's are on the Washington Post's official "in" list. These bulgogi topped dogs were supposedly invented by a New York city based Korean.

post-37101-1262371282_thumb.jpg

http://midtownlunch.com/2009/06/17/first-l...orean-bbq-cart/

Also note the Korean short rib TACOS in link, now that's an international de-lite.

Edited by Jingthing

Also note the Korean short rib TACOS in link, now that's an international de-lite.

Bulgogi burritos and tacos are popular in L.A., where they were invented.

NY Times: Kimchi Goes With Tacos in L.A.

http://kogibbq.com/

2-kogibbq.jpg

Hankook Taqueria by Bob Townsend (Tuesday, December 22, 2009) The recently opened Hankook Taqueria takes after the current foodie craze spawned by Kogi BBQ — the roving Los Angeles vending trucks serving the flavors of Korean barbecue in Mexican-style tacos, burritos and quesadillas. Hankook is the creation of Tomas Lee, who previously worked for Buckhead Life Restaurant Group and was the chef-owner of Tomas restaurant in Norcross. Stepping away from fine dining, Lee took over the former Good Eats space in a semi-industrial section of Collier Road on Atlanta’s Westside.

L.A. to Atlanta: Lee, who is Korean, says he got the idea to try his hand at Korean tacos after a trip to L.A. Eventually, he hopes to use Hankook as a commercial kitchen to run his own taco trucks around Atlanta. In the meantime, both the hole-in-the-wall atmosphere and the simple menu are works in progress. The meat-and-three remnants of Good Eats are visible in the cafeteria-style steam table counter and the ragtag retro oilcloth-covered tables and booths in the adjacent dining area.

Taco choices: In the huge open kitchen, Lee and his staff are cooking up five taco combos ($2.25 each), including chicken and stir-fried tofu. Among the best, pulled pork with hot and spicy barbecue sauce is a sort of Korean-Mexican-Southern fusion. Panko-crusted fried tilapia is covered in a sweet and spicy hoisin sauce. Korean-style bulgogi is savory strips of marinated beef rib-eye.

All the tacos come in a choice of flour or corn tortillas and are dressed with a salad mix of romaine lettuce, cabbage, cilantro and green onions tossed in soy sesame vinaigrette, as well as shredded cheddar cheese that appears to be sprinkled straight from the package. While the toppings add crunch and another bright level of seasoning, they tend to overpower some of the fillings and give the tacos a same-y quality. Burritos ($6.25) include a choice of one of the five taco fillings, rolled in a big flour tortilla, with kimchi fried rice and a repeat of the salad and cheese garnish from the tacos.

Street snacks: What Lee describes as street snacks are a jumble of takes on Korean and Mexican dishes, including traditional bibimbop and gogi nachos. A recent special, crispy spring rolls filled with cellophane noodles, vegetables and pork, was tasty but too greasy. Ditto the fried man-doo dumplings, with a satisfying ginger, green onion and minced pork filling. Undercooked tempura-battered sweet potatoes served with spicy ketchup suffered most from what seemed to be a problem with deep fryers that don’t get the oil hot enough to do the job.

Overall, Lee has a happening, bargain-price concept that seems perfectly in sync with the times. All he needs to do is iron out some of the kinks, and maybe become a bit more adventurous.

Hankook Taqueria, 1341 Collier Road, 404-352-8881 Signature dish: Korean tacos Entree prices: $2.25-$6.25

Edited by zaphodbeeblebrox

There was a "Mexican" restaurant in Pattaya that was supposedly a chain from Korea run by a Korean. They claimed to offer a Korean style of Mexican food on their menu. However it was really a Korean copy of Taco Bell like food. Nothing Korean about it. It closed in a few months. No loss. I agree those real Korean/Mexican fusion dishes look good. I think different kinds of Korean foods are getting very trendy in the US, Korean hot dogs as mentioned, Korean Mexican, and Korean fried chicken.

I doubt there is a big market for these trendy Korean foods in Thailand.

Edited by Jingthing

There was a "Mexican" restaurant in Pattaya that was supposedly a chain from Korea run by a Korean. They claimed to offer a Korean style of Mexican food on their menu. However it was really a Korean copy of Taco Bell like food. Nothing Korean about it. It closed in a few months. No loss. I agree those real Korean/Mexican fusion dishes look good. I think different kinds of Korean foods are getting very trendy in the US, Korean hot dogs as mentioned, Korean Mexican, and Korean fried chicken.

I doubt there is a big market for these trendy Korean foods in Thailand.

Yeah, Taco Valley was neither Korean, nor Mexican. It was more like California-inspired Mexican, which I don't particularly like. Almost a little too sanitary (I mean the food flavors, not the kitchen). They didn't seem to understand the business, as they didn't open until the evening. I think a taqueria would work in that location, but it would have to be open for lunch and snacks during the day.

Korean fried chicken would work in Thailand, at least the kind that I ate when I lived in Hawaii, where it is very popular. Basically, just very spicy fried chicken and served with rice and kimchi. Chicken Alice's, the most famous of these Korean fried chicken restaurants, operated on Kapiolani Blvd. from 1980-1995. Alice sold the restaurant and bought a Korean hostess bar nearby (basically a strip club :) ).

Here's her famous recipe:

Chicken Alice's Wings
  • 5 pounds chicken wings
  • Vegetable oil for deep frying (Wesson brand preferred)
  • Batter:
    • 1/3 cup Parks brand kim chee sauce
    • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
    • 2 tablespoons salt
    • 2-1/2 cups flour
    • 2 cups water, or more, as needed

Rinse and dry chicken. Cut off and discard wing tips. Cut through joint to separate drummettes from other half of wing.

To make batter: Combine kim chee sauce, garlic, salt and flour. Add water gradually, enough to make a thick batter, about the consistency of pancake batter.

Add chicken pieces to batter, mix well and marinate in refrigerator 2 to 3 hours.

Heat oil to 350 degrees. Deep-fry chicken pieces about 10 minutes, until chicken rises to surface and coating is deep brown.

p1010494.jpgc01932c92c681caa.jpg955c4572c952b62a.jpg