Seafood In Chiang Mai

kamp

If the sea food is not a live and kicking , Stay away from it in Chiangmai.

I think Chiangmai is not a place to get seafood in and not get sick.

Then you have to go down south to the sea and even Bangkok you can get bad sea food. :)

If the sea food is not a live and kicking , Stay away from it in Chiangmai.

I think Chiangmai is not a place to get seafood in and not get sick.

Then you have to go down south to the sea and even Bangkok you can get bad sea food. :)

Not so!

The seafood here is usually good, we buy the best crab I have had anywhere here, very sweet. We buy it live and it may not be kicking but it sure can fight and run away, many times we come back to the kitchen to find 1 crab has losts an arm and 2 or 3 are crawling around the kitchen or further.

the prawns / shrimps are superb and again local markets will have them live.

I have never been sick from eating seafood in chiangmai, home cooked or from a resturant.

Provided it is live and kicking, it is reasonably safe.

I had a nice meal at a well kinown Chiangmai fish restaurant where the fish and crabs were moving around in tanks.

I had crab and when it arrived on the plate it had no claws. The waiter confirmed that it was alive in the tank when they took it out but had been in a fight.

So I suggested he bring me the winner instead. Which he did. Nice meal. :)

Edited by caf

Khun Kamp

You are right about there is many kind of fish , Fresh or frozen in Thailand but in Chiangmai

I will not call the fish fresh if it is not alive when you buy it same with the shrimps at the markets .

Ok they have them on ice beds but in 30 degrees Celsius and all flies flying around.

But if you are lucky you dont get sick, best fish I ever had in Thailand was caught in the ocean and after direct in the grill on a small Island.

That got 5 stars but her in Chang mai I am very careful.

Sooks!

There are some great live places that will kill, gut, clean and cut for you to take home for Fish and Crabs.

There is often some small tucked away places in the Warorot Marekts for crabs and fish.

Best, fresh, and cheap for me has always been the wet market at San Kamphaeng. If I have worried about anything it is the temperature and time it takes to get back home.