Best Place To Live In Bangkok

StreetCowboy

Unequivocal: Right next to the river between Thaksin Bridge and Phra Pok Klao Bridge.

I don't really know that part of town very well, but the central riverside area always seems very congested to me. Although I'm normally on the Bangkok side, not the Thonburi side....

What do you like about that area? Is it not quite an expensive place to live - or looking at it from the perspective of someone on a limited budget - could you not live somehwhere much bigger and more attractive elsewhere?

SC

We moved to Bangkok in July, and after having visited something like 40-50 places all over town, we have taken a place in Sathorn (just off Rama IV) opposite to the Lumpini Stadium.

For some reason, we had always heard that Sukhumvit was the area to be, and indeed most of the activities are there. In the beginning we were negotiating for a place there (soi 31) but on the way back we got stuck in traffic, took us over an hour to get back to the hotel. For us, we are happy to have the driver take us there whenever we want to participate, but I am happy not to live there. I think it is much too crowded.

Additionally, I work just opposite Lumpini Park so at the busiest times, a 15 minute ride to work. This morning there was no traffic and we were lucky with the lights, a full 5 minutes to the office, I am smiling now...

I must admit it is not cheap, but there are plenty of places to go there, plenty of restaurants and shopping. Metro is 12 minutes walk away.

Edited by flemmie

Houe or condo? Retired, working or want to start your own business? Like to go to bars and eat western food most of the time?

If you can answer those questions it would be easier for people to give you some advice. What is best for some people doesn't work for others, the thought of living in the CBD of Bangkok makes me feel ill. I love it here on the outskirts with my cheap rent and the lack of tailor or massage touts!

IMO, anywhere that gets away from the foreigner ghettos of downtown is good. I'm in Pinklao now, and it's quieter and a little more sane than downtown. There isn't as much western-style nightlife in the vicinity (only Khao San), but I can't take that very often anyway. There is less traffic between you and the edge of town, so it is also good for escapes from the city.

Personally, I'd prefer Sala Ya or anywhere further out of town, but I can't do it quite yet.

Since the OP has given us very little info to go on may I suggest the following location.

Not only do you not have to worry about missing your alarm in the morning, a dwelling such as this is perfect for those who..

1) Need somewhere close to local transport

2) Need to be close to the action - or cannot afford UBC

3) Likes the smell of diesel with their morning coffee

4) is an avid fan of plastic

5) is a collector of pennies and likes to flatten them

:)

post-22903-1262057580_thumb.jpg

yep, if you don't have to commute daily to the town centre, than being in the suburbs in the green belt, with a large garden and smimming pool, is the place to be. On a motorway 15-30 minutes if no traffic jam.

not sure about the benefits of living in a foreigners gettho, but if you really need to mix with them, than lower sukhumwit.

"the best" means something different to each of us.

edit: and yes, salaya, in the west of bangkok, is a very green and peaceful neighbourhood - happen to live just before it, closer to the town.

Edited by londonthai

I'm quite happy living in a decent sized townhouse (2.5 bdr, kitchen, parking, 3 bath, dining room, living room, large foyer) in a secured moo baan off Narathiwas Rd. between Sathorn and Rama III. Quite reasonable rent at only 12k per month. The moo baan is upscale a bit so it is very quiet with good and polite neighbors despite being in the center of the city. Excellent Thai food offerings and a 24-hour market for fresh meat/produce. Tesco nearby. Close to Silom and Sukhumvit. About 10 minutes motorcycle to work. Really it's perfect for us.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

I was really just trawling for information.

I'm quite happy in Bangna - convenient for Central, school, airport, Pattaya, twenty-five minutes' ride to the office before 7.30 or after 7.30, biggest apartment I've ever stayed in, good swimming pool...

Not a pleasant area for walking about, though - no sidewalks, lots of heavy traffic...

Its always nice to know about other areas...

SC

Nowadays anyplace close to a skytrain/subway that has a good hospital close by and a market like Villa with a Western selection of foods is good. That fits a number of locations, however, a place that also has lower pollution levels is most desirable. Parts of Thonglo, Mo Chit, and Soi Ari are good candidates but with the expanding mass transit system, areas like Wong Wian Yai might also be fine as well.

Edited by mauiguy90

If we are talking about an idyllic Bangkok suburban lifestyle, then you just can't beat Pattaya IMHO.

However, if you must be where the bright lights and beautiful people are, you just can't beat Pattaya IMHO.

PS. I hear that Pattaya is pretty good!

If we are talking about an idyllic Bangkok suburban lifestyle, then you just can't beat Pattaya IMHO.

However, if you must be where the bright lights and beautiful people are, you just can't beat Pattaya IMHO.

I think you've posted in the wrong thread. Also, you must be joking - Pattaya is a large bro**el where the sc*m of Thailand meet the s*x tourists and crim**ls of the world.

I lived in Bangkok for 9 years and would never again by choice. The best place I lived was Ekkamai and Bang Kapi.

Edited by Neeranam

I think you've posted in the wrong thread. Also, you must be joking - Pattaya is a large bro**el where the sc*m of Thailand meet the s*x tourists and crim**ls of the world.

8><----------SNIP-------><8

I like Pattaya too, but its too remote from the office.

So scores on the doors so far:-

Pattaya: 2- Neeranam and Nanlaew agree, and Neeranam has succinctly summarised its good points without Nanlaew's vague beating about the bush and euphemisms

Inner suburbs - various locations seem popular - Mo Chit, Ekemai

Sathorn / Rama III - I'm always surprised how much space there is in that neck of the woods, when it is so close to the centre of town

Shanty town by the railway tracks - very convenient for the office, by the way; nice one BKKJAMES; didn't seem to get much support from anyone else, though...

Sukhumvit low-numbered sois was popular with my colleagues, but probably not ideal for a family, and I could imagine a chap might get led astray there and wander off the straight and narrow...

So I suppose each to their own...I'm sure we'll get plenty more informative and helpful suggestions, and no doubt some lively debate as people learn more about the possible options!

SC

From the point of view of a regular visitor:

If you are a tourist (especially a first-timer) - Khao San Rd. Repeaters can stay in the area of Soi Kasemsan 1/2.

If you are a permanent resident (studying/working/retired etc.) - in the vicinity of a BTS station (no need to use tuk-tuks or motorcycle taxis every day).

From the point of view of a regular visitor:

If you are a tourist (especially a first-timer) - Khao San Rd. Repeaters can stay in the area of Soi Kasemsan 1/2.

If you are a permanent resident (studying/working/retired etc.) - in the vicinity of a BTS station (no need to use tuk-tuks or motorcycle taxis every day).

or staying near the river or many 'klongs'.

Once, I moved out of Bangkok and my commuting was less. I worked in the Shangrila Hotel but got sick of the 4 hour commute to Bang Kapi. I moved to Nontaburi and took the express boat which took 40 min every day.

or staying near the river or many 'klongs'.

I agree. When staying in the area of Khao San, I often combine the Chao Phraya Express Boat with BTS (transfer at Sathorn/Saphan Taksin) what allows me to avoid traffic jams.

The best place...Near your work....I live in Silom / Sathon line...Silom Soi 9 area...Walk to BTS...bus 5 mins to (walk 10) to river...Bus 5 mins or walk 10 mins to MRT...Have a Tops and a Foodland ( nasty Phat Pong Foodland) not too expensive place...7000 baht for big studio and big balcony. Cheap eats and night life. Western food too..aka Mcds and BK and Subway sandwich...And my work is close...

A lot depends on your age, marital status, disposable income and interests. I don't see myself leaving Sukhumvit for the next 5 years - I'm late 20's and single and like to have lots of things to do nearby and good nightlife. I also don't mind paying a premium to be in this area when I know I could live much cheaper elsewhere. 

The Chitlom CentralWorld area also seems quite nice - more shopping intensive but a good atmosphere, lots of traffic though.

Well, my first year in bangkok i had an small apartment in soi 31(i guess) opposite Suk55 Tong Lor.

It was inside the soi, quite calm and quiet place. I lived there for an year.

Then i moved to phaya thai area, paholyothin soi 5. It was an condo with 2 sleeping rooms, not so quiet, because a lot of thai and not so many farang neighbours. lived for about 1 1/2 year.

I lived then in Ram Inthra area. Soi watcharapol. An lavish moo-baan of land & house. Beautiful, calm and relaxing place, lived there 1 1/2 years.

Then i seperated from my long term girlfriend and moved to ratchada soi5 a condo. (City Home). 2 bedroom for 12 000 baht.

I was one of the first in this complex, the first 2 month was peaceful and quiet. Then most of that condos filled up and 80% thai people.

Guess what - loud, louder, loudest. Moved out after 1 year.

Moved to huay kwang (ratchada) new condo complex Sutthisarnvinitchai Rd.(M-House)

Again one of the first to move in. Nice condo with a beautiful sight (talles building in the area, 8 floor) for 11 000 baht only.

Now living in HuaHin, i like it quiet and peaceful and if i want to party, pattaya and BKK is not far away.

Best place i have been in BKK was the Ram Inthra area.

Lots of Hi-So thais with some kind of behave and consideration for their neighbours.

Handicap: u really NEED a car (i have one) because its little far from downtown (about 20-30 min expressway)

And its quite expensive.

Edited by ICECOLD