Don't Give A Rip About English

a2396

I never cease to be amazed at the apparent disinterest in having English speaking employees, in businesses that have a fair amount of foreign clientèle. I recently visited the new Robinson's in Khon Kaen and discovered that neither of the two people at the information desk spoke any English. I have encountered the same non-existent English skills at almost 100% in places like Big C, Tesco, and the major hotels, with the exception of the Pullman. In addition, I hear from many of my young Thai acquaintances, who are well educated and can speak adequate English, that they cannot find employment. It would appear that most businesses care nothing about ones abilities in this, when it comes to hiring. I don't expect that Thailand will ever be like Malaysia or India, but one would think some of these large business enterprises, which have a fair amount of foreign customers, would try to make life a bit easier for their shoppers.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe the disinterest of some 'whiteys' here in learning Thai.

Do you think Thais go to your country and complain about the lack of Thai?

India and Malaysia were British colonies - hence English.

There are hardly any foreigners in Khon Kaen, thank Buddha and most of the ones I know make an effort to learn Thai. Do you want it to end up like Pattaya?

I think it depends on where you live. I don't expect rural areas of Thailand to have any English speaking people. Only tourist centers would be places that it would be necessary to attract English speaking staff.

I didn't find anyone in Tesco at Uttaradit that spoke English, but that is understandable because Uttaradit is not a tourist center. We just wanted to know where the nearest hotel was located and not one person understood what we were asking. As it turned out, after driving for miles in all sorts of directions that locals sent us to, the hotel was within easy walking distance from Tesco. I walked there the next morning. There was some sort of religious ceremony in a village about 10 km from Uttaradit and the locals all assumed that is where we were asking directions to. And, wanting to be helpful they kept sending us in the wrong direction. It was quite funny really.

over 15 years ago I cycled from chiang mai out west.......I spoke no Thai......I ended up staying at a police box for 3 days drinking and eating.....why? because at that time the town I stayed in had no hotel.....I asked at the police box......they invited me to stay......because they wanted to practice the English they had learnt at school........three of them could all read English but had no opportunity to speak it.......

Perhaps if you think about it.............I learn't Latin and French at school......lack of use means that I have forgotten almost all of it..... :)

Maybe we should not confuse lack of opportunity with lack of interest........

I don't demand anyone to speak English outside of England, that is why I carry a phrase book of the language of the country I am visiting.

If they don't understand your poor articulation of the written word, just show them the translation, they will generally point you in the direction of the nearest Irish bar :)

While looking for a specific piece of merchandise at a large department store in Bangkok, they did have someone whom they called that spoke English. He actually spoke quite fluently, but it still took the two of us about 10 minutes to figure out what I was I needed. Some of the Central Department stores have a translator who can help as well.

For the average person looking for a specific item, such as a piece of electrical equipment for repair or plumbing, it might take a long time to master the language to that level.

A lot of product information is written in English and the lack of it has left more than a few with an inability to install things that I have bought.

Why should the stores have english speakers? perhaps they should have german, russian, dutch etc as well.

Does your home country cater for all foreiners by having multi lingual staff om hand?

Learn Thai if you are going to live here.

On a wider front, English is the lingua franca of modern international business - not just the language needed to communicate with some grumpy old foreigner trying to buy whatever it is grumpy old foreigners buy, but also the language that international business contracts are written in and conducted with.

In that context Thailand does pretty poorly when it comes to speaking and working with this language of international business.

But let's focus on foreigners not learning Thai in the fine tradition of sticking one's head in the sand.

On a wider front, English is the lingua franca of modern international business - not just the language needed to communicate with some grumpy old foreigner trying to buy whatever it is grumpy old foreigners buy, but also the language that international business contracts are written in and conducted with.

In that context Thailand does pretty poorly when it comes to speaking and working with this language of international business.

But let's focus on foreigners not learning Thai in the fine tradition of sticking one's head in the sand.

I have a mother in law that runs a multi million USD co. and her English is pathetic. She is always bashing on the desire for my kids to learn and speak English. But when we participate in business meetings with our suppliers (often) she has NO CLUE as to what is being said. Frustrates me to no end....

That said, I do get paid by our supliers to act as a conduit between her an them.... too bad I have to live here in order to do this!!!!!!!!!!

Expats need to learn Thai, Period. The language of the land Is Thai !

Country's like America are passing "English only laws",

After 10 years in Rural Thailand, what little Thai I speak ,is very poor and people do not understand what I say.

But I am Hearing Impaired and Thai Is a tonal Language!

When I go to Thai speaking stores, I take a picture of what I am looking for.

As the saying goes a picture is worth a thousand words!

Works great for me!

Good Luck:

Cheer :)

After 10 years in Rural Thailand, what little Thai I speak ,is very poor and people do not understand what I say.

Works great for me!

Good Luck:

Buy some hearing aids..... easy enough

Thank you. This was, in part, the point I was trying to make. Khon Kaen is not a tourist mecca, however there are a fair number of foreign customers that I see in Tesco, Big C, etc and certainly the hotels here. Many are short term visitors and I hardly think they will be spending the time to become proficient in Thai, before they arrive here. True enough, Malaysia and India enjoy some advantage in English, due to their former colonial status. But this is not the only explanation, after independence Malaysia let the importance of English slide, since it was considered a colonial hang-over. When I lived there 15 years ago, English proficiency was certainly not universal. Since then, the government has recognized the significance of English as a language of international importance and I found the level of English knowledge to be considerably more widespread. It is considered a badge of status in Malaysia and certainly Singapore, to have good English skills. This is definitely NOT the case in Thailand.

Thank you. This was, in part, the point I was trying to make. Khon Kaen is not a tourist mecca, however there are a fair number of foreign customers that I see in Tesco, Big C, etc and certainly the hotels here. Many are short term visitors and I hardly think they will be spending the time to become proficient in Thai, before they arrive here. True enough, Malaysia and India enjoy some advantage in English, due to their former colonial status. But this is not the only explanation, after independence Malaysia let the importance of English slide, since it was considered a colonial hang-over. When I lived there 15 years ago, English proficiency was certainly not universal. Since then, the government has recognized the significance of English as a language of international importance and I found the level of English knowledge to be considerably more widespread. It is considered a badge of status in Malaysia and certainly Singapore, to have good English skills. This is definitely NOT the case in Thailand.

On a further note, if one was to take the time to look at the credentials for the proffessors and physicians of Sing. and Maylasia, one would be very surprised, a good portion of them are trained at western univ. While those in Thialand, could't even dream to go beyond the borders of Thailand due to their lack of English skills.

So the end result is an "in bred" education" with out the ability to read current research etc.

The "English only" movement in the USA is not official, and is spearheaded by racists. Beside the point.

The "Thai only" movement in Thailand is very strong even though Thai alphabet and language is spoken only by Thais and is very difficult to speak and read. Very few Thais can teach Thai well - maybe 10% of Thai teachers. Most Thais don't usually want to learn English. Nice people - but I don't understand them.

The "English only" movement in the USA is not official, and is spearheaded by racists. Beside the point.

The "Thai only" movement in Thailand is very strong even though Thai alphabet and language is spoken only by Thais and is very difficult to speak and read. Very few Thais can teach Thai well - maybe 10% of Thai teachers. Most Thais don't usually want to learn English. Nice people - but I don't understand them.

It is not spear headed only by racists, some people tha support this English only movement are pragamatists. Pragmatically speaking, English only is the most affordable option. Bi-lingual programs are very expensive and places a huge drain on our taxes.

It is not spear headed only by racists, some people tha support this English only movement are pragamatists. Pragmatically speaking, English only is the most affordable option. Bi-lingual programs are very expensive and places a huge drain on our taxes.

Not to stray to far from issues related to Thailand, by referring to bi-lingual in USA, one generally means Spanish. Currying favor with other migrant linguistic groups, in USA, was not done in the past. However, Spanish has become a factor just by sheer numbers and is an issue to be reckoned with, like it or not. I certainly do not think it would be advisable, at any time, to give Spanish any equal or equivalent status with English. If such had been done in USA in the past, one would have a polyglot, fractured country - politically, culturally, etc, etc. Unfortunately, the country has already traveled some distance down that road already.

Comparing Singapore to Thailand is like comparing Canada to Botswana, ok. Don't even go there.

Thailand has never needed English except when it came to providing the R&R for American and Australian servicemen during the Vietnam war era. French was of more use during the colonial times since it was the French that called the shots, slicing off bits and pieces of the Kingdom when they so wished. Thailand's foreign affairs people at the time spoke French. And then came the period of subservience to Japan, where a knowledge of Japanese was important. Today as China looms, the need will be to speak Chinese, not English. There really is little need for English. If one wanrted to service the tourist trade, I'd think Swedish would me of more use, at least certainly more profitable since the Swedes are big tourism spenders, whereas Hindi, Arabic and Urdu speakers are not.

Comparing Singapore to Thailand is like comparing Canada to Botswana, ok. Don't even go there.

Thailand has never needed English except when it came to providing the R&R for American and Australian servicemen during the Vietnam war era. French was of more use during the colonial times since it was the French that called the shots, slicing off bits and pieces of the Kingdom when they so wished. Thailand's foreign affairs people at the time spoke French. And then came the period of subservience to Japan, where a knowledge of Japanese was important. Today as China looms, the need will be to speak Chinese, not English. There really is little need for English. If one wanrted to service the tourist trade, I'd think Swedish would me of more use, at least certainly more profitable since the Swedes are big tourism spenders, whereas Hindi, Arabic and Urdu speakers are not.

"Little Need for English"? No doubt many Thais think the same as you. Never mind the Brits, Aussies, Kiwis, Irish and Americans in Thailand. As you point out, a drop in the bucket, compared to the Swedes. From my experience here, English seems to be the language of choice with non-native English visitors and residents in Thailand, be they German, Italian, Arabic, etc. No doubt Chinese language will become a much more significant factor in international businesses in the future, but I don't think it will be replacing English anytime soon. If the average Thai has no interest in mastering English, I hardly think they are going to exert themselves learning Chinese. How many Chinese tourists and expats have you seen in Thailand, by the way?

While looking for a specific piece of merchandise at a large department store in Bangkok, they did have someone whom they called that spoke English. He actually spoke quite fluently, but it still took the two of us about 10 minutes to figure out what I was I needed. Some of the Central Department stores have a translator who can help as well.

For the average person looking for a specific item, such as a piece of electrical equipment for repair or plumbing, it might take a long time to master the language to that level.

A lot of product information is written in English and the lack of it has left more than a few with an inability to install things that I have bought.

Man, only 10 minutes!! you got out of that easy :)

:)

Yeah I was in a lift once and this old guy and his wife (who I assumed was Chinese-Thai) got in so I asked (in Thai) "Which floor?"

They started running on together in what I assumed was Mandarin.

Something along the lines of "What did whitey say?" from their facial expressions.

The Stickman had a recent weekly column on this subject, that I found myself agreeing with. For myself, as a university professor, I have never found myself needing to raise my level of Thai beyond the "Taxi Thai" as Stickman describes it. I am able to communicate well, with most members of the staff, students and fellow faculty. Frankly, knowing how much effort it would take to learn the language to the level it would be useful, would take away from my research and teaching in my chosen field, which was why I was hired in the first place. I will bumble through, because things like this don't bother me too much. The universal language in Thailand is having a smile, anyway - so I am alreayd fluent.

I don't demand anyone to speak English outside of England, that is why I carry a phrase book of the language of the country I am visiting.

If they don't understand your poor articulation of the written word, just show them the translation, they will generally point you in the direction of the nearest Irish bar :)

It is just good business to be able to talk to your customer. Tourism is the second industry in Thailand, so it makes sense to be able to communicate to your customers. In my shop more than 95% of my customers are tourists, and more than 70% of them can speak English even though they are not all from English speaking countries. In some companies like HomePro they pay additional 4000 bth per month to the employee that can seek English.

The big problem thais will be facing without english is that in 2015 the asean agreement will drop work permit requirements for nationals of the 10 member countries allowing anyone from these countries to move without restrictions in the job market of asean, I constantly tell my students of the need to compete for these jobs without much luck. In this global economy, good or bad, multi national companies who control the job markets will go where english speaking skills are in abundance. Yes there are 1.4 billion chinese and growing and they are the new emerging world economic power but all my chinese students know the value of learning english, unlike most thai nationals.

Works great for me!

Good Luck:

I wish it was that simple, when you have a hearing loss in the profound range and speech discrimination is in the 30 percentile bilaterally, hearing aids are of little use.

I paid $1,000 for each hearing aid, a total waste of $2,000, (66,400 baht) state of the art 5 years ago.

Before someone, says there has been a lot of improvement in technology in the last 5 years, I had my insurance company for years, buy new state of the art hearing aids that are not effective with my type of hearing loss. and at my age I could care less, I get along excellent in my living environment.

Cheers: :D

I once went to a Car accessory shop in Bangkok to buy a cover for my Honda CRV. Standing by the covers I was approached by a sales man. He asked which car. I said Honda and then variations on the theme CRV, Honda CRV, showing the key etc. After 10 minutes of not understanding Honda (pronounced the English way) we had three staff there. Eventually the third guy had a brainwave and said, " Hon-DA". And the penny dropped!!!!

Its not like there are that many car makes commonly driven here and Honda sounded very similar to Hon- DA but unlike Mitshibushi, Toyota or Mazda. But those guys couldn't make the leap.

I now speak enough Thai to not have this hassle and I look back on it with a smile.

Works great for me!

Good Luck:

I wish it was that simple, when you have a hearing loss in the profound range and speech discrimination is in the 30 percentile bilaterally, hearing aids are of little use.

I paid $1,000 for each hearing aid, a total waste of $2,000, (66,400 baht) state of the art 5 years ago.

Before someone, says there has been a lot of improvement in technology in the last 5 years, I had my insurance company for years, buy new state of the art hearing aids that are not effective with my type of hearing loss. and at my age I could care less, I get along excellent in my living environment.

Cheers: :D

1,000 dollars for a hearing aid is like saying "I paid 100USD for a car, and the car doesn't work."

But beyond that, if the damage to your cochlea(s) is so bad that hearing aids are really of not use, then you should get a cochlear implant or 2 for that matter. Implants in Thailand can run around 20K USD each. Yes, that is expensive but compared to the US that is a bargain and even more of a bargain when compared to the increase in the quality of life.

With your response in regards to your hearing, "....I could care less...." is much the same as the expats living in Thailand that refuse to learn Thai. If you refuse to improve your hearing impairment just because you don't want to be bothered, and would rather those that you encounter in life have to comform around you.... it is the same thing as the typical expat that will not be bothered to learn Thai.

Now I am not passing judgement, I have no grounds to do so.... I'm just laying the cards out on the table.