Shocked, Appalled

sharecropper

I always wonder how government officials (e.g. police) can drive brand new cars and live in upper class houses.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I asked my Thai wife; response : "family very rich" :)

mmmm everyone jumps to the corruption conclusion, and sure that's probably a factor, but i know a couple of local bib's and they drive cars like fortuners, bmw's and what not.

but being a bib they work their way up the ranks to higher pay grades and have a fair bit of free time. the few i know all have enough free time off work (and during) to run side businesses (air con sales/install) and what not.

few guys on the ground who run around doing the work, they just advertise, take the calls, do the over the phone / onsite quick and easy sales stuff and call their cheap staff in to do the work.

no different to any other country, i know fire fighters back home who do 2 weeks on 2 weeks off, they don't make great money as a firefighter, but they have lots of time to run a business as well and they are VERY well off, with their livable base income from their main job they can risk more with the business and reap the rewards.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Off topic somewhat. I read this morning that in China a police officer was fired and is being investigated for holding a lavish wedding reception for his son or daugther. The reason being that there was no way he could afford such a do on his police salary so must be on the take. Oh would that they do that here!!!

This kind of picture would be gold in a western country. I guess no press agency will care - or any superior take action if printed. Then again, if featured in an episode of big trouble in thailand, complete with the same officer stopping tourists with no helmets just to drive off without his, maybe just maybe...

Worst of all...a farang male with girlfriend/wife wearing helmets and carrying a helmetless child or baby.

Couldn't agree more. I know farang aren't exactly held in high regard in Pattaya (look at the slobs in Tops drinking Chang and Leo most of the day) but just because the Thais do it don't make it right.

Worst of all...a farang male with girlfriend/wife wearing helmets and carrying a helmetless child or baby.

Couldn't agree more. I know farang aren't exactly held in high regard in Pattaya (look at the slobs in Tops drinking Chang and Leo most of the day) but just because the Thais do it don't make it right.

Whats that all about.

Are you one of the people, that thinks pattaya has gone up market.

and people are slobs because they a have a few beers at Tops. :D:D:D

do you live in this town. :)

This kind of picture would be gold in a western country. I guess no press agency will care - or any superior take action if printed. Then again, if featured in an episode of big trouble in thailand, complete with the same officer stopping tourists with no helmets just to drive off without his, maybe just maybe...

One has to wonder if the OP sent it in to one of the local papers?

Its certainly worth a try to see if some english language newspaper will print it, isn't it?

I was sitting at a light a few days ago watching cops on the cross road pull over drivers with no helmet while several entire families drove by on their bikes, no helmets, kids standing all over the bike, baby in the basket, black smoke pouring out of the bike, phone in the drivers hand, beer in the other, driving with his knees.

OK, not really, but you know what I'm trying to say. Helmets are only to put money in the pockets of the police. Not for safety.

True story: Back when they had the Mac store in The Avenue, I was eating at Pizza Corner across from it and watched a Thai policeman walk in and start looking at the Mac notebooks. I was in tears laughing because there is NO WAY a Thai patrolman can afford a Mac. The fact he was even entertaining a Mac, instead of a cheap PC from Tukom, said it all. This guy was PAID. I wonder how many falang he had to hose to pay for the computer?

True story: Back when they had the Mac store in The Avenue, I was eating at Pizza Corner across from it and watched a Thai policeman walk in and start looking at the Mac notebooks. I was in tears laughing because there is NO WAY a Thai patrolman can afford a Mac. The fact he was even entertaining a Mac, instead of a cheap PC from Tukom, said it all. This guy was PAID. I wonder how many falang he had to hose to pay for the computer?

For a moment I thought you were referring to McDonalds. I wouldn't by a Mac, but doesn't mean I cannot afford one.

I reckon they'd be plenty of skimming patrolmen who could afford a Mac.

i'm more shocked and appalled that the OP was shocked and appalled.

Phew. We agree on something then - the disgusted bit?

Yeah, disgusted as usual, just walk past and shake my head now days the shock and awe of it all has worn off.

Its certainly worth a try to see if some english language newspaper will print it, isn't it?

My gut feeling tells me they may not print it!

name='sharecropper' date='2010-01-08 12:42:19' post='3252555']

My gut feeling tells men if they did

You would be trying to hide. :):D:D

How true.

Still, on here nobody knows I live at 223 Soi Banoc, so I should be safe eh.

At the end of the day, even if you convinced every police officer in Pattaya to wear helmets, nothing will have changed - you'll still need yours.

What bothers me more are helmetless children riding bikes to school. Even more still, 2 adults wearing helmets with 1, 2 or 3 helmetless child passengers. Worst of all...a farang male with girlfriend/wife wearing helmets and carrying a helmetless child or baby.

Just another statistic http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/2-Year-Boy-K...li-t328109.html but it wont make any difference...

Ah, so the answer is no then. You have not even approached a local newspaper. Nothing ventured, nothing gained as they say but then its so much easier to be socially outraged behind a keyboard isn't it? Instead of a keyboard warrior, perhaps we need a new term? Keyboard activists :)

Ah, so the answer is no then. You have not even approached a local newspaper. Nothing ventured, nothing gained as they say but then its so much easier to be socially outraged behind a keyboard isn't it? Instead of a keyboard warrior, perhaps we need a new term? Keyboard activists :)

It would be dead easy to get that photo printed in a local paper, but where's the fun in that. I would rather post it on an interractive forum and have a (small) laugh now and again.

It would be dead easy to get that photo printed in a local paper, but where's the fun in that. I would rather post it on an interractive forum and have a (small) laugh now and again.

Ah, thanks for the clarification; posting with the intent to provoke. Its been noted, cheers for that. :)

Ah, thanks for the clarification; posting with the intent to provoke. Its been noted, cheers for that. :)

One man's "intent to provoke" (your post for example) is another man's "intent to humorously inform and discuss" (my OP, for example).

Ah, thanks for the clarification; posting with the intent to provoke. Its been noted, cheers for that. :D

...now our Admins are trolling....oh well... :)

Mot exactly standard Police issue motorbike is it? How on earth can he afford such a nice bike?

He probably stole it. :)

we holidayed in Chiang Mai pre Xmas - saw a local cop on a 2008 Harley Sportster riding into the police compound to park it - not using it for patrol it will have been his own bike . . . but he must be an exceptional saver to afford one - 700k or more?

There's one on a white 900cc cruiser here in Phuket, Honda I think, nice bike, and he does use that it seems for police/traffic work.

Do they maybe get an allowance for providing their own bike rather than riding one from the pool?

As for shocked and appalled; i no longer care/bother re helmetless riders. On Wednesday last week my neighbour and I spent an hour cleaning up two English women who crashed their scooter outside my house. No licences, one helmet under the seat, other on the bars; lucky they landed on their fat <deleted> and not their fat heads - both had good grazes from hip to foot, one badly torn hand.

As for shocked and appalled; i no longer care/bother re helmetless riders. On Wednesday last week my neighbour and I spent an hour cleaning up two English women who crashed their scooter outside my house. No licences, one helmet under the seat, other on the bars; lucky they landed on their fat <deleted> and not their fat heads - both had good grazes from hip to foot, one badly torn hand.

Thats called a Thailand Tattoo :)

Actually it would do Thailand a great favour if all members of the BiB were to ride around pi5ed out of their heads like raving lunatics with local politicians as pillion passengers.

It's called something like Darwinian selection.

A bit like mindless farangs who rent CBR950XRS450VVrrrMMM's just to show that they have a peanut between their ears.

What are you talking about ? You make no sense whatsoever