More Than 3,600 Drunk Drivers Caught And Punished

webfact

I suspect your tune would change if a drunk driver rammed into you head on

It was actually a sober driver that rammed into me head-on four years ago. If she had been drunk, maybe the outcome would have been better for me afterwards, rather than the mai-pen-rai, he's a foreigner, too bad, should not have come to Thailand to have the accident? Either way, the front end of a car at 100km/h hurts just as much no matter what the driver has in their blood.

Surely you can't be serious with that comment?

Being drunk increases the chances of someone being involved in an accident. With more drunk drivers on the road statistically you are at greater risk of getting involved in the type of accident you have just described.

Not true, there is no statistics on how much successful drunk driving goes on, the ratio could be the same as sober driving.

Guess you could take a survey, how many times have you driven will drunk (over .05)? How many times have you been ticketed for drunk driving? How many accidents have you had while drunk? How many years have you been driving while drunk?

Road education in General - Thats for Pedestrians, Motorcyclists and Cars.

I see people walking down the Soi in the middle of the road total oblivious to a car coming up behind them (don't they care for their own safety).

Just yesterday while turning left I had to slam on by brakes (and nearly got rear ended) as a motorbike driving down the pavement shot across the road.

Sorry so say this - but I have very little regard for motorcyclists when they behave like this. The lack of regard many have for their own safety frightens me out of my skin.

That said I guess there are many safe and conscientious drivers and riders out there but we only tend to remember the bad ones the following day.

Edited by richard_smith237

Road education in General - Thats for Pedestrians, Motorcyclists and Cars.

I see people walking down the Soi in the middle of the road total oblivious to a car coming up behind them (don't they care for their own safety).

Just yesterday while turning left I had to slam on by brakes (and nearly got rear ended) as a motorbike driving down the pavement shot across the road.

Sorry to say this - but I have very little regard for motorcyclists when they behave like this. The lack of regard many have for their own safety frightens me out of my skin.

That said I guess there are many safe and conscientious drivers and riders out there but we only tend to remember the bad ones the following day.

True. I admit I am more than a little biased due to past experience, as well as the close calls I've had over this past month - nothing has changed all that much from the past. There might be an equal ratio of fools on bikes as fools in cars, or on foot too, but I have no doubt that only one of those has a good chance of killing me when I'm the good guy on the bike. It could happen with any collision, but it's plain and simple that cars are darned big and heavy.

I plan to ride up to Nong Khai and then on to Chiang Rai next month, and back here to Rayong over around three weeks, and I realise that there is a fairly good chance that I won't make the full trip, no matter how I try to ride safely, with early morning starts and mid-afternoon finishes, to avoid the danger times of late afternoons and most lethal of all, the evenings. In all honesty, if it happens a third time, I'd prefer not to wake up and have to live with yet more losses and grief and disbelief and .

The possibility of adding another number to the 'statistics' when you're on a motorbike would seem to be statistically significantly higher than for either pederstrians or cars, although I'm yet to see any breakdown of figures other than that 83% motorcycle fatalities over the last week, unless I am mistaken.

That's still fairly significant, which is the other reason I tend to have that bias towards motorcyclists. The dropkick who rides off a footpath across an intersection needs a little education in road manners, for sure. I hope that such a fool as he doesn't get any chances to borrow anyone's Toyota on occasions, for there's enough risks on these roads just cruising along peacefully without trying to imitate Steve McQueen.

Anyway, thanks for an interesting discussion this afternoon Richard, and I must logout as well as let it rest for a few hours so as not to hijack the thread with my own personal agendas yet again.

Good luck and safety on the roads, wherever you go, and whatever you're driving.

Thats the truth! What really needs to be done is a full scale road safety campaign at drivers and pedestrians alike ( drunk and sober alike ).

Every day I drive about 60km round trip by bike to and from school in Krabi. These folks are terrifying on the roads when sober ( presuming they are )! I can't even begin to list the shenanigans i see regularly.

Occasional crackdowns on drunk driving at new year and songkran don't help. People need to know how to drive safely but it seems that they just have no concept of the danger they put themselves in.

In britain they had huge road safety campaigns in th 70s and 80s and it worked, it improved things a lot, as would zealous traffic policing.

Thats what they need. Taught from the basics up, and also a comprehensive, challenging, not for sale driving license test.

It may not happen soon, but a man can dream, can he not.....

Thats the truth! What really needs to be done is a full scale road safety campaign at drivers and pedestrians alike ( drunk and sober alike ).

Every day I drive about 60km round trip by bike to and from school in Krabi. These folks are terrifying on the roads when sober ( presuming they are )! I can't even begin to list the shenanigans i see regularly.

Occasional crackdowns on drunk driving at new year and songkran don't help. People need to know how to drive safely but it seems that they just have no concept of the danger they put themselves in.

In britain they had huge road safety campaigns in th 70s and 80s and it worked, it improved things a lot, as would zealous traffic policing.

Thats what they need. Taught from the basics up, and also a comprehensive, challenging, not for sale driving license test.

that would just take the fun out of driving in LOS. I like it the way it is, its like playing Grand Theft Auto on Playstation.

that would just take the fun out of driving in LOS. I like it the way it is, its like playing Grand Theft Auto on Playstation.

As i get older I get less fond of chance, plus its my flesh on the outside of the bike. I would certainly feel more comfortable with the metal surrounding me instead. Guess I'll have to save up for a car.

You carry on the with the GTA. I'll carry on with preserving my ass

Except that more than 20000 aren't killed in Thailand every year playing GTA.

Except that more than 20000 aren't killed in Thailand every year playing GTA.

And in the real world as opposed to GTA there is no crash reset button!

Statistics are mainly useless, for instance did you know that in the UK 30% of all accidents are caused by drunk drivers. The mathematical argument is therefore that 70% of accidents are caused by sober ones, therefore by ensuring everyone drives drunk you would reduce the accident rate by 70%.

I am not sure I agree with an automatic 1 year in jail, but the community service thing is a good idea and is high up the scale in terms of losing face. Next year at least 3500 people will think twice before Drink driving.

Statistics are mainly useless, for instance did you know that in the UK 30% of all accidents are caused by drunk drivers. The mathematical argument is therefore that 70% of accidents are caused by sober ones, therefore by ensuring everyone drives drunk you would reduce the accident rate by 70%.

Hi Tigs, that sounds like a reasonable assessment! About the case for everyone to drink alcohol and drive. As a tea totaler, does that mean I would be fined and disqualified for driving sober?

Quoting when replying

Please quote only the part of a post to which you are replying, not complete lengthy posts or even multiple nested posts. From the Forum Netiquette:

5. Please do not quote multiple nested quotes. Quote only the relevant section that you are discussing...

Thank you.

--

Maestro

I think many people here are missing the real issue, which can be broken down into two parts.

1, Driver education.

2, Police education.

Addressing the first, c'mon, people you all have seen motorcycles coming onto main roads from minor roads, do they stop ??, do they look??, no, they just zoom out without a care, Thailand really needs to educate drivers on what (those drivers) should already know (after passing test), that is the Highway code, or whatever you want to call it.

Adressing the second, training for the police, so instead of the usual bullshit to take your money, at least take your money for a traffic offence, ie dangerous driving/driving without due care/DWI, they are all on the books here in Thailand, so teach the police the laws (really, they dont know them either). and make them enforce them, they could make much more money that way.

There really is no need for the police to stop cars/motorbykes haphazardly and impose (tea money) fines. If they followd (or eve understood) the law then they could make 10X the money every day.

regards

Freddie

I think many people here are missing the real issue, which can be broken down into two parts.

1, Driver education.

2, Police education.

regards

Freddie

There are many policemen who are aware of the problem and wished something could be done, especially about accidents with kids on motorbikes. Do not forget they are usually the ones who get confronted with the accidents. Also among medical staff the awareness is great. I think that the main problem is the attitude of the parents and the youngsters.

I will never understand the attitude of most Thai parents regarding safety. I am quite sure they love their kids in a happy and warm way. They love to take care of them and give them as much time as possible. But safety in the kitchen, bathroom or toilet? Not possible, no need. Safety is something you do not need now, so you do not need it tomorrow as well.

The parents of my wife take care of two grandchildren. I am thinking of installing a hot water boiler outside the bathroom, rather than one of these dangerous water heaters in the bathroom. The grandparents have refused, because of "no need". So I asked them do they want their grandchildren boiled or toasted? They thought that was gross and another proof there is something wrong with me.

Back to the road: Thai people do not see danger and therefore do not see the need of safety measures. I really wished somebody could explain the origin of that. Does it have something to do with buddhism?

The safety on the road item and especially the helmet has become a game of arm-wrestling between Thai people and the police. This has increased the problem considerably. Especially young people think they look "smart" when they can evade a police check. It gives them a lot of "face".

Furthermore, girls (and most certainly many boys) think that wearing the helmet will damage their hair.

A small tip for somebody with a good video camera: Khon Kaen University has declared its large campus a "helmet zone". Strange for a country that is supposed to be one big helmet zone, I admit. I spent a lot of time on the campus, waiting for my wife. Sometimes I checked the rate of helmet wearers. It was never more than 15%. Now and then the police blocks the entrance (number 4? near the back of Srinagarind hospital) to the campus and checks for safety helmets. Many students try to speed through the barrier, knowing the police will not pull them from their bike. Girls who are stopped start crying, or scolding. Most of them will get a simple warning. Everytime the police is fighting a losing battle, making the problem bigger. Sad, but it would make beautiful TV! After 30 minutes everybody uses another entrance. I guess there is a warning system with SMS.

I feel that KKU has a great responsibility. It claims to be number 1 among Thai universities, it has a major hospital, a medical faculty and a faculty for public health on its grounds. They should be able to do something about road safety and the mentality of their students. Anb by doing, I mean something real and not one these ritualised seminars in the Sofitel.

A last element: the parents. When a policemen gives a ticket to a student, who has to pay 500THB, the next minute papa or mama in the village get a phone call from their learned, hope for the future, daughter or son. Papa or mama contact their highest point in their political network and by the time the policemen get back to their office, their superior officer has high blood pressure and heartburn from all the calls he had to answer from hiso's and hipo's.

Everybody with a medium brain can devise a campaign for more road safety in Thailand. Maybe TV can organise a competition for the best campaign plan. It has been done in so many European countries where casualty figures have gone down drastically. The specific problem in Thailand is that Thai do not see safety problems untill it is too late (and even then: two members of the family bumped into each other on theit motorkikes yesterday, both hurt and bruised, they do not feel the need to have a light or a helmet in the future...) and that they feel everybody must follow the rules except their son or daughter of course. After all, road safety is related to the social attitudes of a country. Rules are impediments for the others, not for oneself.