More Tuk-tuk Trouble In Phuket

webfact

Not defending the actions of the driver by any means but didn't the guy agree to 150 then offer 100. Probably not a good idea in any foreign country over 50 baht.

I'd have to agree here. Anwar and the driver agreed to 150 baht for the ride, and then after services were rendered, Anwar wanted to offer less. And if it's true that he escalated the situation further by being rude and kicking the driver, then I'm not surprised at the eventual outcome.

I'm sort of happy that people like Anwar won't be returning to Thailand for their holidays.

You are stupid! attacking tourists is OK is it? isnt Puket getting enough bad press? Seems to be the norm here lets see what happens in court if we ever hear anything I hope he gets 2 years there is no excuse for assault could have killed him.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The point of "licencing" is to stop this type of harassment. Simply put meters in then any dispute goes to the licencing board or police.

If a driver is involved in an assault then revoke his "taxi drivers" licence and therefore livelyhood. They are doing a blatant rip-off tariff scheme and the arguemnet should be turned around......does this driver want to lose his taxi licence for 50baht?

.... "Simply" ... :D:D :D :D :D :D :D :)

I think all you apologists for the scum in our society should get a life and shut the f*** up. These guys and the motorcycle taxi gangs are running the damned country, and people are so scared of them, knowing they can get shot or arms and legs broken, they are too afraid to do anything. The Police seem helpless or unwilling to do anything. Four years ago I was present on the road bridge when an old foreign tourist, from Holland, was held down on the floor while about seven Thais kicked him in the head and stole his wallet. This was on Sukhumvit Soi 7, right in front of the Skytrain and several hundred tourists. There was Policeman there grinning like an idiot while they did it, and he let them all go while the foreigner was taken to hospital.

What if it was you? Kicked senseless for maybe declining to be taken to visit a brothel? Is this the image you think Thailand needs?

Edited by stolidfeline

Not defending the actions of the driver by any means but didn't the guy agree to 150 then offer 100. Probably not a good idea in any foreign country over 50 baht.

Well the pasengers obviousy didnt know it was one minute away otherwise they would have asked for a better price and may have walked.

I am by no means defending the driver punching the guy, but when we go to bargain for something, shouldn't we know what we are bargaining for? Didn't Mr. Anwar have a tourist map that showed some relative distances? I mean, he had decided on where he wanted to move to somehow. He made a deal, reneged on the agreed upon price after the transport was provided, and trouble ensued. All that for 50 baht?

I have to agree with bubba if this is the situation. However, there is no need to escalate anything into a fight over a lousy 50 baht. I find it hard to believe that a man with his wife along would start a fight and initiate it with a kick. But, none of us here were there at the time and we only have the hearsay of one person. However, given the bad reputation of the tuk tuk drivers in Phuket, it does smell a bit.

I think it is very foolish of Mr Anwar to not have researched where the new hotel was located. And, sometimes you just have to accept the results of your own foolish actions. I once had to bail myself out of a nasty situation in Angeles City with a knife. I didn't really feel all that angry at the crooks stealing my money. I shouldn't have let myself get in that position in the first place.

The police have jailed the person and not allowed bail so I doubt if it is only hearsay evidence, Ian. The police may often be biased but they know a fairy story when they hear one. No-one is likely to believe the tourist started the fight.

It is also reasonable for a tourist to believe that he is dealing with an honest person and that the price for a one minute journey shoild be reasonable.

Give us the benefit of your experience. Would a Thai tourist, not knowing the area, have been ripped off so much and suffered a beating?

caf

Here is a way to fight this.

Someone (outside Thailand) could start a google ad SEO type site all about Phuket. All about lousy things going on in Phuket. With graphic pictures. Constantly updating with new crime scene pictures and tuk tuk attacks, jetski gambits, as there is a never ending stream. Then when new potential tourists suckers think about going to Phuket and they enter Phuket in google, over time this site can go to the first page. These tourists read the site. They tell their friends. The damage is done. Denying all this easy sucker tourist money is the ONLY thing that will put the fire under the butts of the powers that be to take real action to change this.

With any luck such a site could eventually pull in at least as much money as a Phuket tuk tuk driver! Wouldn't it be a public service really to WARN people about what they are going into when they book a trip to Phuket? Its not as if there aren't COUNTLESS tropical beach alternatives they could choose instead.

Lets have some fun and come up with some cool names for this proposed truth about Phuket sites, OK?

Some starters.

Phukethell.com

Phuketmafia.com

Troubleinphuket.com

Forgetphuket.com

Boycottphuket.com

Phuketruinedparadise.com

Not great, just seeding this for more better ideas ...

PhuketPuke.com?

Here is a way to fight this.

Someone (outside Thailand) should start a google ad SEO type site all about Phuket. All about lousy things going on in Phuket. With graphic pictures. Constantly updating with new crime scene pictures and tuk tuk attacks, jetski gambits, as there is a never ending stream. Then when new potential tourists suckers think about going to Phuket and they enter Phuket in google, over time this site can go to the first page. These tourists read the site. They tell their friends. The damage is done. Denying all this easy sucker tourist money is the ONLY thing that will put the fire under the butts of the powers that be to take real action to change this.

With any luck such a site could eventually pull in at least as much money as a Phuket tuk tuk driver!

Nice in theory but it would end up sand-bagged. Probably better off starting a rumour of a botulism scare in Phuket or similar.

As much as I'd like to see the bastards taken apart, I'd rather it happen there than infect the rest of the country.

Not sure why people are defending the tuk-tuk driver. That driver knew the destination was within 30 seconds drive and the tourist did not. Had he agreed a fair rate and not tried to rip off the tourist, then he (the tuk-tuk driver), could have benefited from further business from said tourist.

Reminds me of the day when the OneTwoGo plane crashed. So many tuk-tuks bringing tourists to the airport full in the knowledge that the airport was already closed and that they would get an extra fare to take these tourists back to their hotels in Patong. I was at the airport at that time and I utterly despise them for their lack of ethics and morals.

The tuk-tuk drivers cannot have it both ways. Either they offer a third world service at third world prices, or they offer a first world service at first world prices.

No-one will agree to a third world sefvice at first world prices...

Simon

Good post with an accurate summary. Puts the Thai apologists to shame.

caf

I'd have to agree here. Anwar and the driver agreed to 150 baht for the ride, and then after services were rendered, Anwar wanted to offer less. And if it's true that he escalated the situation further by being rude and kicking the driver, then I'm not surprised at the eventual outcome.

I'm sort of happy that people like Anwar won't be returning to Thailand for their holidays.

I agree 100%. We dont need them here. A contract was struck and this guy has reneged. Whether it was fair or not is irrelevant. It was a verbal contract.

Plus: You notice that most of the forum replies are anti the Tuk Tuk driver. Guilty unless proven innocent. Unless you (or I) were there we cannot say who threw the first "punch or kicK'

Like others here, I can't defend the actions of the driver.

But the tourist was the one who "negotiated" the fare, agreed to it, and then tried to renege.

A number of years ago, in Chumphon if I remember correctly, I negotiated with a samlor driver to take me to a named hotel. He seemed a bit reluctant, but I thought that was a bargaining ploy. However, all agreed, and we went up the railway line, crossed at a legitimate road crossing, and then back down the railway line to the hotel, not much more than a hundred metres across the railway tracks from where we had started.

I know my face showed everything from astonishment to befuddlement to minor disgust (with myself).

I pointed across the tracks, he nodded, I laughed and paid him whatever baht we had negotiated. After all, even after he'd been reluctant, I'd agreed to that particular fare.

And that Phuket tourist should have done the same thing!

!00% Right, Mark it up to experience, Yer! I think he got ripped off, but he set himself up for it. What I don’t understand is from what information did he have at hand to haggle the price of the ride? How can you haggle the price of a bag of bean, when you don’t know big, or small the bag is! It sure isn’t right that he got his lights punched out, I feel for the guy and his wife, not a nice to start you holiday………He should have come to Chiangmai! The big friendly city with less light punching than Phuket. Have always wanted to go to Phuket… But lately having read all about the issues down the, they can shove it! I will spend my dosh where I feel safe!!!

can't beleive that some people seem to be taking the side of the tuk tuk driver because the price was agreed .i hope i would have the sense to just accept that i had been overcharged ,it happens a lot ,pay up ,get on with the day and avoid trouble.but the tuk tuk driver has firstly ripped off the tourist and then assaulted him apparently with the help of a mate.its totally inexcusable .

also a worry that he phoned someone who turned up staright away to help with the beating.are they organised to assault people .

hope the authorities make an example of him.

I am shocked... shocked to see how many people writing in this thread seem to have checked their balls at immigration as well as their decency - rapid assimilation syndrome, I presume. Fortunately the further decisions are now in more competent hands (the Thai police - guys, you have just been insulted).

Good one Orosee!

And Ta22, why risk making yourself look naive and typical by defending the lowlife?

i am not defending anyone .

just providing a alt view .

---

if i am the judge - both is wrong - 3 days correction work as a tuk tuk driver .for the canada guy

and as for the tuk tuk 3 days correction work as a sand bag in a muay thai trainging school

whahhahahhahaha.

is really a very small thing in my view . the problem is just bruise ego here .

souind like two un gentleman got into a kids fight -

let it end sooner the better .

maybe try to make friends with the tuk tuk driver .. or a smile would help

-

i do not expect some to understand that sometime the root of the problem is really US .

how you react can give you result

from your very own Farang experience

:)

dam_n chaingmai is going to rain .

Can anyone explain to me why this happens ?

Phuket is a tourist destination - you pay 150 baht for a short ride with a Tuk tuk

Pattaya is a tourist destination - you pay 10-40 baht for a short or long ride with a Tuk tuk

Food and hotel prices are almost the same both places but tuk tuk ?? :)

Its all been said before in this forum. The guy agreed to a price, by one party disputing the verbal contract after the fact/event does not cut it. The tourist is at fault. The driver is at fault. If he pleads guilty with extenuating circumstances (temporary insanity) they will both get a lesson - but the law will most likely fine the Tuk Tuk guy about 2,000 Baht and that will be it. The law is clear. A contract is a contract verbal or written. If the Tuk Tuk guy shaves his head and does a month in a monastery then he will be forgiven. T.I.T. :)

Edited by asiawatcher

And Ta22, why risk making yourself look naive and typical by defending the lowlife?

i am not defending anyone .

just providing a alt view .

---

if i am the judge - both is wrong - 3 days correction work as a tuk tuk driver .for the canada guy

and as for the tuk tuk 3 days correction work as a sand bag in a muay thai trainging school

whahhahahhahaha.

is really a very small thing in my view . the problem is just bruise ego here .

souind like two un gentleman got into a kids fight -

let it end sooner the better .

maybe try to make friends with the tuk tuk driver .. or a smile would help

-

i do not expect some to understand that sometime the root of the problem is really US .

how you react can give you result

from your very own Farang experience

:)

dam_n chaingmai is going to rain .

"souind like two un gentleman got into a kids fight -

let it end sooner the better . "

I would bet you are wrong there.

The Canadian was with his wife and no reason to suppose he was anything other than a gentleman.

I don't know about the Thai guy but he had to telephone a friend to help him assault. Does not sound much like a gentleman to me.

Please forgive me but I don't know much about Muay Thai - never been.

Do they have like a boxing ring where two people kick the hel_l out of one opponent - or is this 2 to 1 fighting confined to tuk tuk drivers.

caf

there is no true value in anything .is only what we AGREE on .

You can choose to refuse service or do not buy it. that why i stand with what i said .

Wait a minute................who ever said he ran away without paying???? The poor guy was ASSAULTED with VIOLENCE by TWO ATTACKERS. Wake up and smell the jabba please.

maybe i should had said walk away from payment .

-- tell me if you are a Taxi driver in your country ,, and a thai . took your taxi .. and refuse to pay full fare as agree between you .

what would you advice . or what would you had done .

-------

and if you are in such a problem what would you had done .

-------

of cos when we talk about it is so easy .. cos nobody was there and we are all assuming . and of cos .. feeding on forum reply for the fun of it .

whahhaha the more we reply the more thaivisa is happy about it . cos is a forum to gain whahhahahha

anyway .

i am enjoying reading but not long as it being drag too long

have a nice night i am going for some great food and i just called a tuk tuk to fetch me :)

is 100b and i usually tip him 20 - 50b

And this self righteous feel good about oneself, readjusting your halo, attitutde is what encourages drivers to charge MORE. You act richer, you send a clear message. Get a clue!

Hear Hear !!

Public transportation in Phuket is a MAJOR disgrace. However, the price was agreed to and the customer was wrong. Not only was he wrong, he was stupid. All for 50 baht!

First off, why do we all assume this Canadian was naive enough to refuse to pay the agreed upon price. I'm Canadian and I wouldn't dream of reneging on an agreed upon price and don't know many educated guys who would, particularly with a tuk-tuk driver who most of us know carry a lead pipe under their seat for the occassional asshol_e that tries to rob them. This guy was a teacher, 51 and with his wife, and it was 1 o'clock in the afternoon. I doubt he was naive enough to think that he could simply set the going rate and pay that without getting hassled, and in so doing put not only him but his wife at risk. I don't see it.

Second, regardless of whether or not he did chince on his agreed-upon-fare, there is simply no excuse whatsoever to beat up on the guy. Any civilized man would simply have called the police and let him deal with the guy. The threat alone would probably have him pay up.

I have lived in phuket for a couple of years and it's tuk-tuk mafia are well known...it's not only the tuk-tuk's but the lounge chairs at the beaches, the bars, the hotels, the buses, real-estate development....you can't escape em'....in broad day-light I have seen them collecting their protection money from vendors on the street and know of many bars that pay protection money just to stay open and isn't it funny that only a few bars can stay open after hours....the mafia is present every where there is a dollar to be made....the trouble is, like the mafia in any other country, how do you control them....even if a politician enacts legislation that significantly cuts into their turf there's a good chance someway, somehow they'll get rid of him.....the prospect of getting elected with out their help is even doubtful.

The only way to defeat these guys is not to support them.....let the hotel call a taxi for you...keep the taxi's no. and call him anytime you need transportation. Use gov't metered taxi's from the airport...never take a tuk-tuk......take a mat to the beach and bring your own refreshments.....if you get bad service from someone just walk away and remind yourself to post it so that you inform at least five other people about the service.....that's the way of the land, laissez-faire....keep these stories alive long enough and they will have their effect and force even the mafia to rein in their horns.

I don't see it matters, he hired the Baht Bus for an exclusive ride, 100 or 200 baht he should honour his agreement. It's not the driver's fault the customer hasn't researched the distances involved. However, that doesn't excuse the cowardly violence on the part of the driver.

Yup....

Surprised he didn't call more than one mate !!

I and a Thai friend years ago were sort of lost looking for a place. It was hot and we had walked around and up and down several sois. My friend approached a Tuk-tuk driver (I was in a shop) to ask if he could take us there. My friend was quite proud he had talked him down from 100 baht to 70 baht and came in the shop to get me.

We hoped in the tuk-tuk, he took off and made a turn about 20 meters later and stopped. There was the place we were looking for. My friend paid and we were on our way. They will screw anyone over, if they can. (This was in BKK).

If I agree to pay, I will pay. I have a friend who once got overcharged and he had them stop at the police box nearby and went in and had a policeman figure out what the price should be.

They can be nasty people and yes, they are loosely organized. Don't mess with them. Action needs to be at a higher level

I thought Phuket was supposed to be full of warm and kind hearted locals who got huge pleasure out of serving the local tourist throng.Big spending tourists in grossly over priced third world resorts like Phuket and greedy'importe locals dont mix!!! The tuk tuk situation will never get better because why should it???

Big spending tourist???? The farang/tourist argued over 50 baut. How can locals get huge pleasure out of serving cheap local tourist throng? :)

50 B for 5 punches (FOC).

It's about time that tourist books and information sites leaflets carry a warning - Do not get into a dispute with a Thai, because they always call their friends or onlookers to make sure you always lose. The only fair fights you can see in Thailand are the ones in the Muay Thai ring. (and they might be rigged).

If the warnings were more clear, people would be more careful and walk away more often. When in Thailand, you cannot win....

If the "Canadian" had agreed to 2000bht and got a 100bht value he just might have had a case for objecting to the deal, but reneging over 50bht is pathetic in the extreme. 100bht in Canadian dollars wouldn't buy half a packet of peanuts, would it? This chap obviously wasn't worried about losing face over 50bht; the people of some cultures are shameless when it comes to money. A price is agreed upon. Honour the deal. End of story. Wonderful how the logic of this escapes some. The tuk-tuk driver's behaviour is separate issue. (Love your work Jingthing.)

The fare was agreed. End of story. Passenger initiated the dispute. The driver should have an alternative way of settling fare disputes. Why not simply hand the passenger a ticket with the agreed fare written on it at the start ? Few tourists would bother to argue with something in writing.

TAT, next problem please.

Edited by sibeymai

The guy should have paid 150 baht and been on his way. Don't protest over a buck and a half. One thing I've learned in foreign countries is to pick your battles. Are the tuk tuk drivers in Phuket rude? Yes. Are they thugs? Yes. Is there another way to get around in Phuket if you don't have a car or motorbike? No. So negotiate the fare and pay what you agreed to. Case closed.

Oh come on! We all know that Phuket is a shit hole and the drivers are thugs. These scum are ready to devastate other Thais let alone farangs. To really close this case is to never go to Phuket. That place and Phi Phi need another big wave to wash away these vermin. They have turned a paradise into a scum pond.