Korn Awarded Finance Minister Of The Year

marshbags

Steve, excellent post as usual.

thanks, although I don't think much of it is up for debate really; as he really did bring a slickness to campaigning including some market research and party management tools that were very very astute in recognising trends and what the people wanted, and how the people perceived his efforts. I can absolutely see why for a time he had such massive popularity; it is almost like when the health nuts start complaining about how come so many kids eat McDonalds...you want to smack their vegan munching faces in and tell them, it is so easy to make kids want to eat that junkfood; give them a playground, some fun characters, sugar and toys - give the parents cleanliness, no dysentry and hosted parties plus good pricing. There is nothing hard about it, and Thaksin's TRT machine delivered the right formula to the various stakeholders.....I have my own ideas of his end objectives, others have theirs.

At a certain point, however, many of the consultants to TRT and to various elements of the party machine did start to get disenchanted when the results, logic, economic advice from smart people and so on was abandoned....in favour of Burmese fortune tellers, avoiding wearing the colour yellow without something covering it....and the like.

This mostly was immediately after the 2nd election...but started really the moment the asset declaration fiasco was concluded; when the regional factions started to flex their muscles when they saw just how much cash they were missing out on. It was also when the economic policies started to fall over as the cash ran out and the oil prices climbed.

Edited by steveromagnino

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Korn is a bright technocrat with strong financial and commercial acumen.Whatever the opposition blusters on about (Thai Inter upgrades etc) he is personally clean and holds strong views on the need for greater fairness in Thai society.To that extent he is strongly influenced by Thaksin though there is longstanding bad blood between them predating the latter's rise to power.

I agree on the first part; absolutely a very clever smart guy and the right type of bloke to help run the country. The last thing we need are twits like Chavalit, Samak, Chalerm, Banharn, Sanoh - they are the problem, not the solution.

Good on ya Korn to be recognised worldwide for this.

No doubt he's tall;-)

With regards to the second; I personally believe Korn to be interested in unlocking the potential of rural Thailand and in assisting in developing the entire country with few left behind, as is the general concept of good governance and decent management. This is partly the reason why the popularist measures undertaken seem to be mostly sensible and sustainable.

Steve

You can't quite bring yourself to admit Thaksin was an important catalyst in the political thinking of Korn and similar first tier politicians, and by that I mean adopting and of course adapting his policies.I beleve this very strongly.Actually many will concede this in private while holding the man himself in contempt.It's one of the many ironies in this saga.Incidentally the distinction you draw between the reprehensible populist measures of Thaksin and the sensible and sustainable populist measures of the present government is a little tenuous.As to the Thatcher comparison she was by far the greater figure but I think the comparison I drew fits very well from the point of view of changing the national political landscape.For a genuinely unbalanced view we shall have to await the verdict of Thai historians thirty years from now...but of course to some extent even in academia the victors write history.

Anyway I always appreciate your posts.

Yes the all encompassing TRT coallition machine

was only as tight knit as the money tree it was hung from.

As the pie pieces, or times in seats of influence, got divided ever smaller,

so did the loyalties.

Add to that the assorted egos dependent on perks,

or those status enhancing appearances of perks,

and it clearly was never the big happy family that

the PR machine advertised.

It could be called and attempt to remake a government

as monopoly of business' as a global entity in of itself.

But the multiple facets never could be held together for long,

because of competing self-interests.

Anything but truly democratic at core.

100 years ago monopolies were being broken up for logical reasons,

100 years later those reasons are somewhat forgotten, to our detriment.

But the lessons, from those long ignored reasons, are likely about to be relearned,

out of glaring necessity.

Edited by animatic

Quoting when replying

bangon04, Thai at Heart, marshbags, etc:

Please quote only the part of a post to which you are replying, not complete lengthy posts or even multiple nested posts. From the Forum Netiquette:

5. Please do not quote multiple nested quotes. Quote only the relevant section that you are discussing...

Thank you.

--

Maestro

thanks, although I don't think much of it is up for debate really; as he really did bring a slickness to campaigning including some market research and party management tools that were very very astute in recognising trends and what the people wanted, and how the people perceived his efforts. I can absolutely see why for a time he had such massive popularity; it is almost like when the health nuts start complaining about how come so many kids eat McDonalds...you want to smack their vegan munching faces in and tell them, it is so easy to make kids want to eat that junkfood; give them a playground, some fun characters, sugar and toys - give the parents cleanliness, no dysentry and hosted parties plus good pricing. There is nothing hard about it, and Thaksin's TRT machine delivered the right formula to the various stakeholders.....I have my own ideas of his end objectives, others have theirs.

At a certain point, however, many of the consultants to TRT and to various elements of the party machine did start to get disenchanted when the results, logic, economic advice from smart people and so on was abandoned....in favour of Burmese fortune tellers, avoiding wearing the colour yellow without something covering it....and the like.

This mostly was immediately after the 2nd election...but started really the moment the asset declaration fiasco was concluded; when the regional factions started to flex their muscles when they saw just how much cash they were missing out on. It was also when the economic policies started to fall over as the cash ran out and the oil prices climbed.

As an aside, I do wish steveromagnino would post more often - and I often wonder where he goes between posts? Astute, largely agenda-free insights. Rather reminds me of another Steve (Hawking) - writer of more books never read by those who bought them than just about anyone else. Off-topic paean over; everyone else - please do continue with your agenda.

[Edited to remove extraneous material - as per Maestro's reminder. Generally, I will edit quotes featured in my replies - for brevity and clarity and not as "creative editing" as suggested recently. I also make a point of ensuring that my quoting (edited with "<snips>" or otherwise) always links back to the full post quoted in part - a policy and courtesy I suggest others would do well to follow].

Edited by Steve2UK

This thread, alomg with the "changes to foreign ownership thread", are probably two of the best (albeit short) threads I have read in the last two years on TV. I am happy to say that as usual there are posters that I agree with (almost) 100% and posters that I disagree with to the same extent. What strikes me is that instead of the usual tit for tat (apart from the swipes at Jaywalk) there is a genuine attempt to decipher and understand, but without the usual bickering. Both these posts topics have now and may have in the future a huge impact on this country in the next 5-10 years (hey I am still the optimist who posted the Thaksins sucesses came from Khun chuans management policies and the democrats would be back).

But for once its nice to see a thread (or two) where some really intelligent comments are made, that affect us all.

thanks guys

Seismic

Korn is a bright technocrat with strong financial and commercial acumen.Whatever the opposition blusters on about (Thai Inter upgrades etc) he is personally clean and holds strong views on the need for greater fairness in Thai society.To that extent he is strongly influenced by Thaksin though there is longstanding bad blood between them predating the latter's rise to power.

I agree on the first part; absolutely a very clever smart guy and the right type of bloke to help run the country. The last thing we need are twits like Chavalit, Samak, Chalerm, Banharn, Sanoh - they are the problem, not the solution.

Good on ya Korn to be recognised worldwide for this.

No doubt he's tall;-)

With regards to the second; I personally believe Korn to be interested in unlocking the potential of rural Thailand and in assisting in developing the entire country with few left behind, as is the general concept of good governance and decent management. This is partly the reason why the popularist measures undertaken seem to be mostly sensible and sustainable.

Thaksin needed control so he could reward the TRT associated family empires (CP, Noble, L&H, Shin, Jasmine, etc), so the popularist measures tended to be sometimes (being polite) neither sensible nor sustainable, but were good vote winners and it was all done in a background of economic boomtimes having enjoyed the benefits of saving and austerity for the years prior. This was needed to get the votes and avoid censure plus avoid the asset declaration problems. End result....perhaps superficially not so different. But slightly different end purpose PERHAPS - we never will know what the mind sets of either group were.

Incidentally, since many of the giveaway type policies were in place in one way or another at various times prior to TRT, perhaps it is best to describe Thaksin's influence being the concept of actually politicising and promoting the policies heavily and making universal promises as well as acting with an urgency pre asset declaration not seen before (or since, TRT from 2004 onwards resembled the same mode of thinking as every other slow motion political deathtrap seen the world over); something that only a marketing savvy business person would get - this is perhaps the most important legacy of the TRT years - the thinking that a politician should now invest at least time in PR regarding what they do, as well as doing it. And this is the bit that I think could be argued to have changed fovever; just as Nixon's sweaty face vs. Kennedy's cool charm ushered in a change in US political debate (looks matter, substance.....ngeh), now we see Thai politicians actually changing how they win elections - the 1997 constitution as most who've read it and understand the background of it - opened up the possibility for this new style of politics with a single dominant party and Thaksin understood clearly the importance of popularity to keep the factions in check. Previously, the godfather system was the one in vogue and the factions were the strong part. Nowadays....PR and media....it matters more than the cash payments to either the factions (via giving them stuff) or the end voters....and the voters know it. That's a big change that will stay around, and may spell the beginning of the end for some of the factions....which is why a few of them have feet in both camps.

As for comparing Thatcher and Thaksin.....IMHO Thatcher started a worldwide movement of deregulation and encouraged governments the world over to consider divesting businesses that were previously state owned - telecoms, railways, airlines, post offices, power. Thaksin's legacy is the PR of politics and a way to reduce the cost of the godfather power by using PR to make the rural poor like the government directly rather than only via their local family powerhouse, profound impact on Thailand, sure, but not much worldwide. He also somehow managed to repackage the godfathers into being 'kit mai tum mai' which for me was perhaps the most impressive; after all it is very easy to look at girly berry and get aroused - they are not exactly harsh on the eyes.

Imagine how much additional effort - makeup, styling, hair, lighting and copious alchohol would be required to acheive a similar level of excitement to start casting lustful gazes at the annual reunion of Army, Navy and Police General's khunying wives trip to Hua Hin.

jeez.

It is also fair to say that some of the senior members of TRT did for the high end hotels in inner Bangkok what the Kennedies managed to acheive for the White House. Certainly, something that certain members of the Democrats (and some of the red shirt leaders, and also perhaps some of the Shin siblings) would be perhaps struggling to emulate, due to certain lifestyle choices. NTTAWWT.

Steve,

As you mention that many of Thaksin's supposed giveaway schemes were in place before, it is an issue I would like you to clarify.

For those of us around at the time, the 1mn baht per village and 30 baht schemes were perceived as quite momentous at the time. I myself had no idea at all before that point that there were in reality any specific schemes that delivered a significant amount of social protection to the rural poor. I was out in the rural areas trying to improve crop yields.

I am not wanting to be a pillock about this issue, because we have sat and run around in circles for 3 years now, poo-pooing the importance of Thaksin's promises. I acknowledge that you might be able to throw some light on these issues. I don't expect that it is contained in an excel sheet somewhere buried in the finance ministry. I always pay attention to your post because you always add something new, balanced and lucid to the discussion, so please feel free to expand. If you can make sense of the Thail social entitlement system you are a smarter man than all of us.

Regards,

TAH

I agree on the first part; absolutely a very clever smart guy and the right type of bloke to help run the country.

........... I personally believe Korn to be interested in unlocking the potential of rural Thailand and in assisting in developing the entire country with few left behind, as is the general concept of good governance and decent management.

Are we seeing the rise of a new PM in the future?

Interesting chap and definitely charismatic; the kind of charisma Abhisit lacks.

A few dozen of these men and Thailand would rocket into the future, thanks to a good "old" British education :)

LaoPo

I agree on the first part; absolutely a very clever smart guy and the right type of bloke to help run the country.

........... I personally believe Korn to be interested in unlocking the potential of rural Thailand and in assisting in developing the entire country with few left behind, as is the general concept of good governance and decent management.

Interesting chap and definitely charismatic; the kind of charisma Abhisit lacks.

A few dozen of these men and Thailand would rocket into the future, thanks to a good "old" British education :)

LaoPo

Laopao

My heart is entirely with you but there's a niggling concern in my head.Korn doesn't have a real political base and somehow he needs to develop one.

LaoPo

Laopao

My heart is entirely with you but there's a niggling concern in my head.Korn doesn't have a real political base and somehow he needs to develop one.

Exactly. Korn will always be an excellent minister with good ideas, and one who seesm to actually care about the country and its people, but lacks the clout and maybe the desire to be PM. He may end up like the talented but baseless ex-Dems Surin and Supachai performing sterling duties for international bodies but lost to the country.

Thai politics is too full of talentless people with a base who do little for the country and that stretches across not only both big parties but also pretty much accounts for 100% of the small swinger parties.

I think he has made no efforts at building a base,

because he sees the types who do that and wants no part of it.

But feels a need to do something for his country for a spell.

Makes it easier to do some good, and not always feel compelled to

be part of an essentially nasty overall game.

Then he will never be a successful politician, all of whom as Disraeli once said "must climb the greasy pole."

Hmm let's see, some newspaper with unimpressive reader stats says someone is the finance minister of the year and people get excited? Well let's look at some of the competition; The Japanese finance minister was 3 months into his reign but resigned saying high blood pressure and his age of 77 didn't let him to continue. Japan's been in a slump for 20 years. Malaysia/ Scandal going on. Vietnam? It has no use for this newspaper. Cambodia and Laos? Arch enemies of these capitalists, so I don't think so. China? No, because the paper is obsessed with devaluing the yuan and applauding the Chinese finance minister wouldn't jive with the game plan. Singapore? Well, duh, the country is well managed and the finance minister competent, but you can't keep picking Singapore otherwise those other countries get discouraged.

So yea, I put as much credit in this award as I do with the made up awards retailers give themselves.

And no not saying he's a bad finance minister, but when you have limited competition it helps :)

Then he will never be a successful politician, all of whom as Disraeli once said "must climb the greasy pole."

And we know Benny D. loved to grease the pole after he had reached the top.

I really doubt Korn is much interested in the politics,

it is just a disagreeable part of the much bigger picture that interests him.

Does he even want to be a successful politician in Thailand? Doubtful.

He's already done better and had a more successful life than

99% of those politicians anyway, at half their ages.

You clearly don't know the man.

In any case the political struggle is the means to an end, not an end in itself.A sophisticated operator like Korn knows he must become totally involved in politics to achieve a fairer and more prosperous country.

In any case the political struggle is the means to an end, not an end in itself.

A sophisticated operator like Korn knows he must become totally involved in politics to achieve a fairer and more prosperous country.

Your last line makes my point.

His goal is not to become a successful politician.

If that was his goal he would have built a solid base by now,

but he leaves that bilge water for others.

Just a part of the bigger picture.

In any case the political struggle is the means to an end, not an end in itself.

A sophisticated operator like Korn knows he must become totally involved in politics to achieve a fairer and more prosperous country.

Your last line makes my point.

His goal is not to become a successful politician.

If that was his goal he would have built a solid base by now,

but he leaves that bilge water for others.

Just a part of the bigger picture.

It's hard work with you.He has to become a successful politician with a base (all that bilge water) to achieve his ends.

Politics is a rough business everywhere.I very much doubt Korn is happy simply as a technocrat.

Winning the award is easy? Out of 187 countries (which assumes hte same number of ministers), presiding in a country with severe domestic turmoil, surrounded by neighbors who are a "Whos who" of dirtbags - yup, sounds easy enough. I'm sure you would have won too, Dusty, if given the chance.

LaoPo

Laopao

Hmmm...Yes and No.

I think maybe Korn could act for a certain period of time as a Technocrat PM, steering the country in the right direction; he has the abilities to lead and steer.

He's probably not the right man as a diplomat and stay on as a PM for a long period (like the chaps who are only after the power) but he's from hi-so circles and could do a lot of good for the country.

He would gain enormous power and esteem once he would act as a PM for a while and after the country is on the railtrack again...he can move on with a title as PM in his pocket.

He could become an important world leader as thus Thailand would benefit also.

But, I have no idea how powerful his position is (or could become) behind the velvet curtains of the real power in Thailand; the elite and the military.

LaoPo

But, I have no idea how powerful his position is (or could become) behind the velvet curtains of the real power in Thailand; the elite and the military.

Or the people of the country, should the power given to him goes to his head and he decides to abuse the trust of the people to line his own pockets who will eventually revolt and stand on the streets of Bangkok for months on end...

I don't think we should loose sight of this responsibility of power either.

:)

Or the people of the country, should the power given to him goes to his head and he decides to abuse the trust of the people to line his own pockets who will eventually revolt and stand on the streets of Bangkok for months on end...

:)

Aaahhh......well..yes, the temptation of the real big cash is always there...

LaoPo

Somebody else who clearly doesn't know the man.Korn is already very well off but that's not the only reason I find these "power going to head" and "lining his pockets" argument unconvincing.Part of it is his elite British background which marks him, Abhisit etc off from the general run of Thai politicians - as it did Kukrit and Anand before him.Doesn't make them impervious to Thai vices but just rather more unlikely to succumb.

Facing facts very few if any Brit Thai Visa members will have any first hand experience of elite public schools and Oxbridge.Korn and Abhisit are the equivalent of types like David cameron, George Osborne and Boris Johnson.It's always amusing to me since the Brits are still tortured by class considerations how some here will fawn over Abhisit,Korn etc but dismiss their UK equivalents as Tory tossers.But actually from a whole variety of view points the two groups are very similar.

Somebody else who clearly doesn't know the man.Korn is already very well off but that's not the only reason I find these "power going to head" and "lining his pockets" argument unconvincing.Part of it is his elite British background which marks him, Abhisit etc off from the general run of Thai politicians - as it did Kukrit and Anand before him.Doesn't make them impervious to Thai vices but just rather more unlikely to succumb.

Another silly attempt to flame whilst missing my point entirely. I mentioned abuse of power as people are quick to mention the military so-called-elite being a force to reason with, yet completely failing to mention the main reason for them doing so in 2006.

A co-ordinated attempt to whitewash this, perhaps? Nah, probably just me.

Facing facts very few if any Brit Thai Visa members will have any first hand experience of elite public schools and Oxbridge.Korn and Abhisit are the equivalent of types like David cameron, George Osborne and Boris Johnson.It's always amusing to me since the Brits are still tortured by class considerations how some here will fawn over Abhisit,Korn etc but dismiss their UK equivalents as Tory tossers.But actually from a whole variety of view points the two groups are very similar.

It may just be that in the UK the options are greater and to be honets all parties have their share of etonians, grammarians and even comprehensive educated operatives these days. In Thailand Korn is almost a rarity. That he is succesful without a base and that he has probably the most radical, genuine and pro-poor ideas of any poltician in Thailand do both show there are occasional opportunities. I will guarantee that he wouldnt be elected in a rural constituency where patronage, local power and sheer muscle determine who even stands let alone wins, and there is another difference between the UK and Thailand as a Korn like MP could win a rural English constituency or at least have a very good chance of doing so.

By the way, Cameroon is a tosser but Im not sure he is actually a "real" Tory tosser :) Just as Blair was a tosser but not a "real" Labour tosser.

It may just be that in the UK the options are greater and to be honets all parties have their share of etonians, grammarians and even comprehensive educated operatives these days. In Thailand Korn is almost a rarity. That he is succesful without a base and that he has probably the most radical, genuine and pro-poor ideas of any poltician in Thailand do both show there are occasional opportunities. I will guarantee that he wouldnt be elected in a rural constituency where patronage, local power and sheer muscle determine who even stands let alone wins, and there is another difference between the UK and Thailand as a Korn like MP could win a rural English constituency or at least have a very good chance of doing so.

By the way, Cameroon is a tosser but Im not sure he is actually a "real" Tory tosser :) Just as Blair was a tosser but not a "real" Labour tosser.

All good points and I'm sure you will have picked up my post was a slight tease ! Is Cameron a tosser? I can see why Osborne might be thought so.

Actually if it all went pear shaped for Korn in Thailand (exile after a Red Thaksin uprising) and he pursued his right for British citizenship, I'm quite sure - if so inclined - he could secure the nomination and win a Tory rural constituency.They would be lucky to have him.

Actually if it all went pear shaped for Korn in Thailand (exile after a Red Thaksin uprising) and he pursued his right for British citizenship, I'm quite sure - if so inclined - he could secure the nomination and win a Tory rural constituency.They would be lucky to have him.

No need to pursue. He was born in the UK prior to 1983. Assuming his parents weren't diplomats, he's automatically a British Citizen by vitue of birth on UK soil, like Abhisit. I tend to think he'd join the Labour party though.

As an aside, I do wish steveromagnino would post more often - and I often wonder where he goes between posts? Astute, largely agenda-free insights. Rather reminds me of another Steve (Hawking) - writer of more books never read by those who bought them than just about anyone else. Off-topic paean over; everyone else - please do continue with your agenda.

The guy is a dodgy amway salesman in his spare time.

I must admit though, he is better looking than that Hawking bloke...but only just!

Edited by sbk

No need to pursue. He was born in the UK prior to 1983. Assuming his parents weren't diplomats, he's automatically a British Citizen by vitue of birth on UK soil, like Abhisit. I tend to think he'd join the Labour party though.

The guy is a dodgy amway salesman in his spare time.

I must admit though, he is better looking than that Hawking bloke...but only just!

1. What do you mean, join the labour party? WHO? (in bold) :)

2. I'm puzzled by your last comment. WHO are you talking about, being a dodgy salesman ?

I'm confused.

LaoPo