Spicy Bollywood For Lunch Today

mild7even

Spicy Bollywood, on Moonmuang Road just north of Ratvithi Road, small store front between a pharmacy and film shop.

Ordered chicken tikka massala and prawn curry; chicken samosa; naan and rice. Very impressed with the entire meal. Better than my (up to now) favorite place for Indian curry--the food court at the night bazaar.

Good atmosphere; service was a bit poor, as it appeared they were training the waiter still. He spoke little English, and apparently even less Thai. Difficulties ordering in either language. Anyway, I had to go to great lengths to ensure the order was right, but no problems in the end.

Noticed the Meals on Wheels flyer when I left; checked on the website and they are a participating restaurant.

Even my wife, who is hard to please when it comes to curry since she is so talented herself, was very happy with the meal.

Recommended!

Thanks for the restaurant review mild7even.

Sounds good even though the second worst Indian food I've ever had is at the food court in the Night Bazaar and I've had a lot of Indian food :)

I'm waiting for UG's endorsement now that we have established where it is on Moon muang :D

Thanks for the restaurant review mild7even.

Sounds good even though the second worst Indian food I've ever had is at the food court in the Night Bazaar and I've had a lot of Indian food :)

I'm waiting for UG's endorsement now that we have established where it is on Moon muang :D

Saying it's better than the food court is less an endorsement of the food court, and more of an indictment of other Indian food I've had in Chiang Mai. :D

Curry for lunch is wrong wrong wrong!

David

Nothing wrong with curry for lunch.Been there for lunch today.I had chicken tikka with rice and garlic nan and my wife had chicken curry with rice and nan bread.Could not fault it, plenty of white chicken and no bones in sight.Including drinks,bill came to 420 Bahts.We plan to eat there again.

Keithkarmann

I enjoyed it, but would not rate it as more than OK (which is pretty good for Indian food in Chiang Mai). The food is about the same taste and quality as Royal India, but it is a newer, cleaner shop with a better atmosphere.

I had a Veg Thali which wasn't very filling. You get at least twice the food for the same price at Royal India. I rather walk the extra 1/2 block. :)

Thali is for people who want to save on eating, so why dont you gor and eat fried rice around the corner , I believe you can buy five of those for the same price which will be very filling.

A Thali is ideal for someone who's eating alone and wants to eat small portions of a variety of dishes or a more balanced meal. Ordering each item separately would be too much (and hence wasteful) unless one's eating in a group.

Not bad 8 people posting and only 2 of them are idiots :)

It seems were not going to get much better than ok for Indian food in CM, I was in Kad Suan Kaow today and decided to try Curry Hut in the basement, a Fish biriyani, 4 samosas, a garlic,coriander nan and a bottle of water for 175 baht, the nan was very average, the biriyani poor but I thought they did a good job on the samosas. Value for the price, but still......

I'm going to stick to making my own Indian food at home, boasting or not It's a lot better than anything I've tasted out here as yet.

Saying it's better than the food court is less an endorsement of the food court, and more of an indictment of other Indian food I've had in Chiang Mai.

Comparing any food of any type, including Thai food, to any food served at any food court in Thailand would be an indictment.

• 5 months later...

I'd been meaning to mention this place which was suggested to me by a friend at the end of a pretty decent meal at Spicy Bollywood (which we enjoyed, by the way).

It's not classy but rather funky, and if it were in Greenwich Village, Hampstead, or some valley town in Marin it would probably be a trendy meet for poor(ish) artists. The display cabinets around the wall have an eclectic collection of semi antique junk which is also quite fun.

As far as I understand it, the food is Bangladeshi but the place has been there for more than ten years so who knows what compromises they''ve made to local taste? I've eaten there three times now and chosen one of their sets either 65 baht or 95 baht which includes a drink (and not just water - I've had a couple of good cafe yens as part of the deal). A limited menu but a good stop in for lunch and for those in a photogaphic frame of mind it's almost opposite Photo Bug's new location on Chotanna Road (or Tannon Chang Phuak if you believe Google) and right next door to the Chiang Mai Mosque.

913899104_AkzCq-L.jpg

913899171_ewgmm-L.jpg

I think it's called the Tea Room and you can find it on my CM Map of Useful Places

Edited by Greenside

Thanks for that Greenside - I'm always on the lookout for new places to eat.

Getting back to the OP, Spicy Bollywood is my favourite Indian restaurant in Chiang Mai. Quick service (compared to the place just up from the UN Irish), reasonable prices and the owner is a very friendly chap.

Has anyone tried the cookery course there?