Cancelled We Tv

siamshot

This post to our German friends living in Chiang Mai

I've just been at WE TV's office to cancel my more than 10years old account - instantly.

The reason is that since today they took off DW-TV (Deutsche Welle TV) from their net. Asked the lady behind the counter, answer: "...no, not coming back!"  So me. 

DW-TV was the main reason to watch (quality) WE TV, for sure not one of their football - or Old Movie - Channels.

Maybe I'm not the only one...

Have a nice day

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, and they also replaced CNN with Sky News.

OK, I'm not the biggest fan of CNN.

But Sky News? When we already have the Beeb?

Rupert Murdoch strikes again... :)

I don't think Rupert has any control on programming at WETV. I know some of the locals do, espescially with regard to sports. Apparently, a call to the right person can ensure that a particular channel of Supersports is shown at a particular time. :D

As regards to the choice of channels - I think it may have more to do with what is 'free' than anything else.

If you remember back to September 19, 2006 when the government blacked out BBC and CNN on UBC for showing certain events in Bangkok, WETV still was broadcasting both BBC and CNN. and during the world cup that year when the government again only allowed the Thai stations to broadcast in Thai only, WETV again had the world cup on in English.

A quick flick through the channels at home and boy have they screwed around with the channels. Did this start today?

From what I can see - BBC gone, Fox news instead of CNN, the Asia (Singapore) in English channel gone.

Movie channels look like they have a different logo so maybe not the same.

Italian & German gone and maybe the Japanese too - not sure but used to be there don't see it today.

In our soi it looked as though they were rigging up some boxes yesterday that have a WETV sticker on them - this must be something to do with it.

Actually on their website they have already updated the list:

WETV channels

At this moment, Sky news has changed to Fox and BBC has changed to Al Jazeera, Al Jazeera has changed to a Red shirt channel .......

Stay tuned , because it could just be the lad in the control room is bored and playing with the remote. :)

Just re-checked - practically every channel has either  moved or changed!! There are Two Supersport channels at this moment, and the 2 movie channel have moved and changed!? 

There is more entertainment now in figuring out what channels are left and where have they moved to and what the new channels are, than there ever was in actually watching them. :D

The new listing on the web-site doesn't have BBC or CNN, but the good news is ....there is Z Music 'Music & Variety from India'. Goodness Gracious me.

Sellers & Loren

Edited by KevinHunt

I just got through to WETV and told her if the old channels don't come back, me and at least a hundred other people would cancel their service, as nothing worth watching anymore.

She said it was a license problem. I pointed out that has never been an issue in the past. She said she would look into it.

So if you all start calling now something might get done; 053 418720 is there number.

At this moment, Sky news has changed to Fox and BBC has changed to Al Jazeera, Al Jazeera has changed to a Red shirt channel .......

Stay tuned , because it could just be the lad in the control room is bored and playing with the remote. :)

Just re-checked - practically every channel has either  moved or changed!! There are Two Supersport channels at this moment, and the 2 movie channel have moved and changed!? 

There is more entertainment now in figuring out what channels are left and where have they moved to and what the new channels are, than there ever was in actually watching them. :D

:D :D My husband gets back from BKK late tonight - this is really going to give him a headache!

I just got through to WETV and told her if the old channels don't come back, me and at least a hundred other people would cancel their service, as nothing worth watching anymore.

She said it was a license problem. I pointed out that has never been an issue in the past. She said she would look into it.

So if you all start calling now something might get done; 053 418720 is there number.

An interesting idea, but bear in mind that the 'licence problem' is probably the fact that they don't have licenses for anything they were showing (or at least anything worth watching) . Why do you think it was so cheap? 

Edited by KevinHunt

It's amusing that Fox "News" is right next to Al Jazeetra, and ASTV is right next to "People" Channel. Couldn't be a coincidence. Not that I'd watch any of them. In fact I find very little worth watching on WETV now. Perhaps the local demographics have changed and people are demanding these other channels?

But yeah, maybe it's time I cancel WETV too and finally hook up the old satellite dish on the roof. Does anyone know if BBC World and CNN are free to air on the same bird?

An interesting idea, but bear in mind that the 'licence problem' is probably the fact that they don't have licenses for anything they were showing (or at leat anything worth watching) . Why do you think it was so cheap?

Now we know where Dynasat went to....

An interesting idea, but bear in mind that the 'licence problem' is probably the fact that they don't have licenses for anything they were showing (or at leat anything worth watching) . Why do you think it was so cheap?

I thought it was all FTA (Free to Air) stuff, so licensing should be a mute issue (?). I have UBC at home, but we have Wee-TV in the Cafe - the annoying thing is the Red Shirt channel - my MIL is the cook and she's redder than blood, so Cafe is now a party polital broadcast on behalf of the BullShit Party! I keep popping in as I pass to turn it over (might hide the remote - she can't reach the TV :)). Maybe some Thai might like to inform someone important of the political (dis)advantage of a TV company only broadcasting anti-government propaganda????

Their answer to me was "If I would liketo cancel I will just have to come and see them.

Another firm which does not want customers....much easier to run a business if you do not have them.

Edited by harrry

I hate to say it, but for 350 per month it is worth putting up with the lousy service. :)

Granted it's cheap, but if it doesn't give you the programs you want, why pay for it? UBC costs 300 baht a month at my condo, and has BBC News. Unfortunately I'm paid on WETV through the end of the month, but I'm switching to UBC next month if not sooner.

Hmm...there seems to be some English lang kids channel now called Kids.co (has a logo with www.kidscotv.tv )...so that one should make kids happy. Noticed the movie channel on channel 18,19, and 21 as Beryl pointed out..but also channel 25 (as before..but sometimes that one is Thai dubbed). If they switch some programs..why cant they just keep things on the same channels? Ie: keep the new movie programs and news programs on the same channels.. :) OR..assign groups together and set channels for them..such as movies together, news together, music together..rather than all spread out.

edit: oh and Sci Fi channel is back on. Channel 20

Edited by eek

Maybe some Thai might like to inform someone important of the political (dis)advantage of a TV company only broadcasting anti-government propaganda????

You can't be seriously advocating a government clamp-down on the right to free speech? It's in the constitution, even in the current botched one the military & friends cooked up last time round.

And besides, they show ASTV as well. Sounds like fair and balanced programming to me.

That said, I just looked through the channel list and it's pretty dire isn't it.. As much as I dislike Truevisions, it's not like there's any kind of alternative. Especially if you like your live sports... Premier League.. Formula 1.. I could live without all the series and movies, those are easily ...purchased... online.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Well, in a spirit of fairness...I decided to actually peruse all the WeTV channels tonight. From 0-99, back to 0.

Doesn't look so bad. Disclaimer: I don't pay a farthing for WeTV; it is provided free in my apt bldg.

Other than the scrambling and replacing of one channel with another; different posisitioning, etc.- I think it is still OK.

They still have TV5Monde Asie. Probably one of the few channels worldwide that have an excellent mix of news and culture.

They have a Fashion Channel- I didn't notice that one before. There is a weird CI (Crime and Investigation) channel from Canada for all you gore and crime junkies. And the ex-cops, who love this <deleted>. I think they picked up a sport channel or two. Unless it is motorsports, a snooze for me, but hey, Thai people adore EPL and other footie....smart marketing and repositioning, IMHO.

All in all, I retract my earlier harsh words. They've mixed it up a bit, but I can learn to live with it.

As I don't pay a satang for the service....nyaak nyaak nyaak :)

A lot of the hotels use WETV. I think there will be some disgruntled guests if they don't get the staple BBC & CNN.

I'm trying to decide whether Aussie and French TV are worth 350Bt/month

I'm definitely checking out other options.

I hate to say it, but for 350 per month it is worth putting up with the lousy service. :)

Granted it's cheap, but if it doesn't give you the programs you want, why pay for it? UBC costs 300 baht a month at my condo, and has BBC News. Unfortunately I'm paid on WETV through the end of the month, but I'm switching to UBC next month if not sooner.

I just make due with We TV and buy programs and movies to supplement it. UBC is better, but not for the normal price.

Their answer to me was "If I would liketo cancel I will just have to come and see them.

If you want to cancel, just don't pay and they'll cut you off, simple. When they follow-up call, tell them you'd like to cancel as they withdrew channels you originally joined up to see :)

Bit crap about the BBC (although some of the readers they use are pretty annoying), but as long as they keep Supersports with the F1 and a bit of cricket and the ruggers/world cup/Olympics, as well as cartoons for the nipper, good enough :D

Agree with mcgrif that after perusing, the programs seem pretty good. BUT, some staples should be there such as BBC and CNN.

Although the removal of DW-TV doesnt affect me personally, Im sorry that you lost your channel Siamshot. :/

It's pretty simple:

WeTV saves X dollars on licensing fees by eliminating some channels. They lose Y dollars of revenue when a few farang cancel their service. Do the math. They already did.

That said, CNN is shiit, no better than Fox News. I like BBC but if you told me I'd have to pay extra to keep it, I'd pass. They kept Bloomberg, and Al Jezeera is just fine. The new Universal station is better than any of the old movie stations. All in all, imho, I'm happy with the changes.