Anyone For (cheap) Golf In Chalong?

bane

That's not such a bad price, not that I ever play, but I have been thinking about giving it a try as the body complains more and more after my current sports. Where is the course located? The one and only time I golfed was here in Phuket 6 years ago, and that was just at the driving, putting and chipping ranges.

Please tell me that's for 18 holes! Even then I hope they are empty. I live in Chiang Mai and we have real golf courses for much less than that. I play at Mae Jo for 850 baht including caddy fee (tip extra). Top notch course even for a seasoned golfer from the US. Golf is one of the few things that is at least as expensive here as it is in the US. In Southern Illinois I belonged to a championship style course for $1,000 per year. I could play 7 days a week as many times as I wanted and wasn't forced to employ a worthless caddy. I got my average cost per round down to around $10 by playing 4-5 times a week. So to pay more than 3 times that when you include caddy fees and tips gets a little hard to swallow, (until it is time to tee it up). :-) FORE!

That course is a 3 par course, and with caddie fees ends up costing slightly more than a proper 5 par course. With a Thai drivers license you can play at the 5par Loch Palm for slightly cheaper.

Also that courses driving range is overpriced, and they tack on charges to practice your short game. Whereas all the other courses in the area don't....

I liked it when it was first built, but they try to squeeze every baht out of the place, so I stopped going. To me its like a 3 star hotel trying to charge more than a nearby 5 star hotel... Just doesn’t fly for me.

Edited by MyphuketLife

Please tell me that's for 18 holes! Even then I hope they are empty. I live in Chiang Mai and we have real golf courses for much less than that. I play at Mae Jo for 850 baht including caddy fee (tip extra). Top notch course even for a seasoned golfer from the US. Golf is one of the few things that is at least as expensive here as it is in the US. In Southern Illinois I belonged to a championship style course for $1,000 per year. I could play 7 days a week as many times as I wanted and wasn't forced to employ a worthless caddy. I got my average cost per round down to around $10 by playing 4-5 times a week. So to pay more than 3 times that when you include caddy fees and tips gets a little hard to swallow, (until it is time to tee it up). :-) FORE!

Gee

What wold you rather tell you friends

"I played golf in Southern Illinois"

or

"I played golf in Phuket, Thailand"

Sometimes you have to pay now in order to brag later

Much land available in Chiang Mai, not much on Phuket province. So yes, a land intensive sport like golf will be more expensive here.

Much land available in Chiang Mai, not much on Phuket province. So yes, a land intensive sport like golf will be more expensive here.

Phuket Golf is a ripoff compared to other parts of Thailand. (Well actually, that applies to Phuket as a whole these days).

950 Baht for a nine hole course?

Gymkhana's 9 hole course in Chiang Mai is Bt 700 including caddy and club rental!

I played last summer at a beautiful course up in Issan.

Two other golfers played that entire day.

Costs: 100 greens fee, 50 baht caddy for each nine holes (10 cute girls to choose from), 200 baht club rental, 15 balls for 100 baht.

I'm looking forward to going back next time i'm up that way.