Received A Letter From My Bank Today

This has never happened before mind you, but today I received a letter from my bank in Australia that had been obviously tampered with. The letter had been ironed open, I know this cos I used an iron on another letter from the same bank and got exactly the same result, i.e. browned paper, melted glue and the print from the letter inside had been transferred onto the envelope. The letter had then been re-sealed with sticky tape. There was nothing of value, just advice that my recent term deposit had been re-invested.

I took a photo of it and will email the pic to the bank in Australia, to ask if they have had problems with people tampering with mail. If not, I will contact the post office in Thailand to see what they say.

Has anyone else encountered this sort of problem?

If someone had that kind of access and took the trouble to iron your letter open I seriously doubt they would have sealed it crudely with tape and put back into the system. Much more likely I believe that it was subject to some event in processing that caused it to open and was then closed to allow it to process through the machines.

Would agree. If they had to the time to open your letter I doubt they would have spent the time resealing it and taking the chance of getting caught; instead, they would just keep the letter or destroy it after getting any valuable info--especially since it sounds like it was just a routine bank mailing. Expect the letter had some old/defective glue, wasn't fully pressd sealed when mailed, opened by accident during mail processing/weather effects, etc. But it don't hurt to play it safe in notifying your bank so they can possibly watch for any mischief.

So the fact that the glue was burnt, the paper browned and the ink on the letter inside had been transferred onto the envelope, exactly as in my simulation with the iron is a coincidence?

I agree, it seems strange that anyone would have bothered to put the letter back into the system unless they were particulary dim. I have no doubt an iron was used, as I can thnk of no other explanation for the condition of the letter.

This has never happened before mind you, but today I received a letter from my bank in Australia that had been obviously tampered with.

ALIENS interested in your financial affairs! no doubt about that. watch out! look over your shoulder :)

So the fact that the glue was burnt, the paper browned and the ink on the letter inside had been transferred onto the envelope, exactly as in my simulation with the iron is a coincidence?

I agree, it seems strange that anyone would have bothered to put the letter back into the system unless they were particulary dim. I have no doubt an iron was used, as I can thnk of no other explanation for the condition of the letter.

Did you already ask your family? :):D

Some years ago, living in a different Asian country, mail was often opened by someone who wanted to practice their English on real materials rather than textbook stuff. It was resealed and forwarded, just in case the recipient knew it was coming and might complain.

Sometimes mail disappeared from the mailbox, and I was told it was sometimes a stamp collector who wanted some interesting looking foreign stamps. Occasionally, the stampless and cornerless envelope made its way back into the mailbox!

Not saying this is the same, but who knows?

Suggest that you opt for a "no paper" option if this is available.

With Internet Banking and Email communication I see no reason for paper mail to come to Thailand.

My bank send me a statement automatically every month by post,even if I have Internet Banking. It is in contact for the bankaccount.

And yes it is a point with this. Because I have to prove my income at my embassy every year, (they must stamp it) for me to get a new Visa. And they do not except a print-out from my Internet bankaccount. I must show them the original documents and statements from the bank.  

Edited by bellste

With Internet Banking and Email communication I see no reason for paper mail to come to Thailand.

My bank send me a statement automatically every month by post,even if I have Internet Banking. It is in contact for the bankaccount.

And yes it is a point with this. Because I have to prove my income at my embassy every year, (they must stamp it) to get a new Visa. And they do not except a print-out from my Internet bankaccount. I must show them the originaldocuments and statements from the bank. 

So what would you use if you banked with a bank which was only an internet bank ? There would be no hard copy statements. I suppose you just go home then ? Of course not. The same work around must be able to be used.

Absolutely. Anything really important can be sent by courier.

And do you think his bank will pay for the courier service?

And so they just crudely stick it down with tape to pass it off as an "event in processing that caused it to open and was then closed to allow it to process through the machines".

No, but after it had come to Thailand. Not understanding or bothering if it were properly sealed after checking for valuables.

Did you already ask your family? :):D

I will ask the nanny!!

I sent a pic of the letter to the bank in Australia. The bank responded and said their fraud dept is looking into it and I have organised to have all docs sent by email in the future.

My mother, being the old fashioned type, routinely sends me letters and 9/10 they turn up opened and resealed. Post Office always blame it on the UK post office and simply shrug their shoulders. Strangley when my step daughters recieve their Christams and B'day cards from my mother, they are never opened...only mine. Could it be the surname I wonder......after all forigners are associated with money.