Farang Shot And Killed In C.m.

elektrified

Just came home from a peaceful couple of days playing golf in Chiang Rai and got some more information from my stepdaughter, who was a witness.

We live in a moobaan very close to the intersection where it happened.

This is where the outer ring road (121) crosses the MaeJo road.

The victim drove a small motorbike Honda dream/wave type and came from the direction of Rimping/Ruam Chok and was waiting for the red light.

The car, a Honda civic, comes from the same direction, cuts in front of him and the passenger gets out of the car while the driver stays at the wheel.

The Thai guy walks to the victim and kicks the motorcycle, cycle and victim fall.

He gets very angry, gets up walks towards the Thai and throws his helmet at him.

The Thai pulls a gun and the victim turns and tries to get away and gets shot in the back twice.

The gunman jumps in the car and turns left direction MaeRim and disappears.

As this is a busy intersection there will be a lot of witnesses.

The stepdaughter phones the emergency number but they already know of the incident, she arrives home very much shaken.

RIP

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just came home from a peaceful couple of days playing golf in Chiang Rai and got some more information from my stepdaughter, who was a witness.

We live in a moobaan very close to the intersection where it happened.

This is where the outer ring road (121) crosses the MaeJo road.

The victim drove a small motorbike Honda dream/wave type and came from the direction of Rimping/Ruam Chok and was waiting for the red light.

The car, a Honda civic, comes from the same direction, cuts in front of him and the passenger gets out of the car while the driver stays at the wheel.

The Thai guy walks to the victim and kicks the motorcycle, cycle and victim fall.

He gets very angry, gets up walks towards the Thai and throws his helmet at him.

The Thai pulls a gun and the victim turns and tries to get away and gets shot in the back twice.

The gunman jumps in the car and turns left direction MaeRim and disappears.

As this is a busy intersection there will be a lot of witnesses.

The stepdaughter phones the emergency number but they already know of the incident, she arrives home very much shaken.

RIP

Thanks for the update.

Unfortunately we still don't know if this was the result of road rage or some other dispute...

Unfortunately we still don't know if this was the result of road rage or some other dispute...

Whatever the dispute, to be gunned down in broad daylight at a busy intersection is beyond words. Absolutely outrageous. Add this one to the Kanchaburi and Pai shootings and you've really got to wonder what kind of society Thailand has.

RIP Herr Schuller.

Whatever the dispute, to be gunned down in broad daylight at a busy intersection is beyond words. Absolutely outrageous. Add this one to the Kanchaburi and Pai shootings and you've really got to wonder what kind of society Thailand has.

RIP Herr Schuller.

The Kind of Society that does not think or rationalise, just reacts.

RIP Herr Schuller.

I live in the area too and was returning home from the Ruam Chok night market around 7:30 monday and we got caught in a traffic jam. Once we got to the lights, I skipped round to the left to make a U-turn to go towards Mae Jo and nipper in the back commented that it was a chopper on the ground (not a small motorbike). At the time we thought it was just a regular accident until a friend called later asking if I was OK as I ride a large bike and he already knew about it.

Yesterday my wife read about it in the paper and it seems that what happened at the 121/1001 lights was a result of one vehicle cutting up the other earlier down the road.

I too am guilty of road rage and this is a chilling reality check that I am not in my home country and what seems an insignificant gesture can have tragic consequences.

RIP T.J Schueller.

Pikey.

Might just be a drug related issue. Use amphetamines for a while and people get paranoid and crazy. They do call it YA BA for a reason.

Definitely a tragedy and lesson to lay low when it comes to confrontations. You just never know the mind set and psychology of a complete stranger. Combine that with a culture that tends to bottle up their emotions in favor of appearances and it's a recipe for unpredictable violence.

... snip ... I agree, my apologies for getting into the statistical discussion :) I guess that I have a serious hang-up about facts.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Priceless,

From our point of view, there is no "disrespect" shown to the unfortunately murdered man by moving from expressions of regret and consolation to a discussion of the broader context of the extent to which this tragic event is a reflection of Thai society as a whole, firearm-related violence, Thai driving behavior and traffic in specific, and moving to a discussion of relevant statistics, and how we might interpret them.

To put it rhetorically : isn't the best thing we can do to honor the victims of what appears to be senseless violence to sharpen our awareness, and get as clear as we can about its roots, and its patterns, and, if necessary, appropriately increase our own vigilance, or modify our behavior in public ? Or help each other avoid "paranoia" by putting into perspective the unusual events, the random violence that can occur anywhere ?

This is a "forum" : the idea is we do discuss, share information, and try to evaluate the particular in terms of the general, and the general in terms of the particular, hopefully, along the way, having some fun. If a few bruised-egos happen along the way, including ours : in the long run, we think, that's an "injury" from which we can recover, perhaps even a "therapeutic" wound :D

To slightly mis-quote Mahatma Gandhi : "I'd like the winds of every culture to blow about my house, but I don't want to be knocked over by any of them." For us, in the context of TV CM, that reflects our desire to hear strong vigorous debate with "no holds barred."

We also have a special "pinned" thread at the top of this forum where RIP's, and respect for those who are dead, "in memoriam" type messages, etc., can be expressed respectfully.

We believe you do not have any "hang-up" about facts at all, and that your contributions on statistics, and your strong views on their interpretation, are a great asset to the CM TV forum.

We look forward to your sharing as much of your thoughts, and the fruits of your research, as you are willing to !

Let us "educate" each other, friend, in the best sense of that word.

best, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

RIP Herr Schuller.

It was not broad daylight, but night time. The initial news report on television was around 23:55. The news footage was definitely in the night time but I don't think it was live at the time. The footage of the downed motorbike showed it to be much bigger than a Dream or Wave.

Might just be a drug related issue. Use amphetamines for a while and people get paranoid and crazy. They do call it YA BA for a reason.

Definitely a tragedy and lesson to lay low when it comes to confrontations. You just never know the mind set and psychology of a complete stranger. Combine that with a culture that tends to bottle up their emotions in favor of appearances and it's a recipe for unpredictable violence.

So true....

I must be living in a dream world... I have driven here for 25 years, and I have never seen or experienced road rage, or ever witnessed an accident. I just do my driving and enjoy the experience :)

you have never witnessed an accident in 25 years of driving in Thailand? Consider yourself very very lucky. I wish I could get the memory out of my head of the images of people laying face down in pools of blood.

No fair if your legally blind

I have seen maybe 10-12 fatalities (mostly aftermaths) in 5 years in CM and I consider myself a lucky person. I want some of that Ajanmai luck. wow.

I must be living in a dream world... I have driven here for 25 years, and I have never seen or experienced road rage, or ever witnessed an accident. I just do my driving and enjoy the experience :)

you have never witnessed an accident in 25 years of driving in Thailand? Consider yourself very very lucky. I wish I could get the memory out of my head of the images of people laying face down in pools of blood.

No fair if your legally blind

I have seen maybe 10-12 fatalities (mostly aftermaths) in 5 years in CM and I consider myself a lucky person. I want some of that Ajanmai luck. wow.

Maybe it is because I rarely drive at night, but in my time here, I have driven in every Cangwat, totalling almost 1 million kilometers. Yep, nothing bad to report, except for some 'spacey' drivers in Surat Thani.. :D

Well it was road rage after all.

On a Thai language site some more pictures and details.

It seems just before the incident, the Thai car used its horn on the farang, who responded with the middle finger which resulted in the shooting.

The suspected gunman has been arested already, a man from MaeOn with a criminal record.

The incident occurred in th early evening as my stepdaugter was heading for the market to buy some food.

Not sure if links are allowed

http://www.cm108.com/bbb/24798.html

http://www.cm108.com/bbb/24687.html

Joop

May we all be similarly blessed. Unfortunately in my far fewer years here, and noting that I rarely drive at night, I have seen incidents of road rage (not by me or directed at me) and passed scenes of accidents.

An American missionary I met who had been driving all his adult life without getting in an accident, was, within two months of arriving here, in an accident.

You are lucky Ajarnmai, and may you remain so.

If you don't read Thai, grab someone who does and scroll through the comments under these articles. Several to the effect of "Serves the farang right, a good example for other farang who come to Thailand and don't behave themselves, going to bars and acting up on the roads. Wives of farang (written with negative connotation) should tell their men to watch out."

Lovely

If you don't read Thai, grab someone who does and scroll through the comments under these articles. Several to the effect of "Serves the farang right, a good example for other farang who come to Thailand and don't behave themselves, going to bars and acting up on the roads. Wives of farang (written with negative connotation) should tell their men to watch out."

Well I do read Thai and the links are to an online Thai message board where one can note that there are Thais who post anonymously on such message boards who are just as asinine as many of the Farangs who post on Thai Visa.

Again, very sorry to hear about it.

RIP TJ Schuller.

I learned long ago that flipping other drivers off, or beeping unnecessarily, or being a <deleted>-style driver (not that I ever was one) are a definite no-go here. I could tell a few very scary stories on this involving other people, but now is not the appropriate time.

And I am not insinuating in any way that the deceased did any of the above. Just a cautionary aside to this post for the members who think they are bulletproof.

My condolences to his family.

So what you are saying is take all the abuse and be quiet like a good little boy else a tiny thai guy will get out and shoot you with a big gun I am sorry i could not lower myself that low even at the risk of being shot by some crazed gun toting maniac thai.

Every day I go out and dodge the non existent driving skills of these people I have done 22,000km on my bike and some instances are beyond beleif and in the heat of the moment ive flipped off many a driver due to there maniac driving almost killing me I am not going to sit and do nothing and while flipping them off is childish its at least a bit of satisfaction

Just because some thais have a screw loose wont change my actions that I would do anywhere else i am a considerate driver except in near death experiences where the flip is an automatic body movement

Its amazing to me how we are such punks here a friend of mine the other week had an incident where he almost hit a thai lady walking with an old thai guy as he came round a corner being a polite guy he stopped and wayed her and apologised,

My mate looks like a right thug and you would not want to mess with him this did not stop the old codger from going up to him and slapping him right in the kisser my mate immediately told the thai guy not to do that and he did it again I was amazed when he told me he just drove away, when I asked him why he said the guy looked like he was quite wealthy and he thought it best to drive away and he did he was so angry and frustrated he said he cried

what a load of crap he stops to be polite and gets abused he is a way more sensible guy than me i would of acted a lot different then drove off.

I have gone thru many of comments on the 108 link and translated them using mama translation and while there are a few Farang negative comments they are balanced with ones about farangs being welcome and that's its good the guy is going to go to prison. To be fair though the translater leaves much to be desired. It always says 'guava' instead of farang or foreigner.

I would be curious to see a good human translation of the comments summarized and categorized.

I, too, read some of the Thai posts, but stopped after about 12. None of them posted anything remotely negative about the victim. Several congratulated the police for apprehending the suspect quickly.

Wow, Thais are just like real people. Who would'a thunk it possible?

Actually I should have pointed out that one link had the negative comments and the other seemed to have very few or none.

I was referring to this link http://www.cm108.com/bbb/24798.html, and in particular comments #3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 13, 14 (arguable), 16. #9 is a classic: "Giving the finger is inappropriate to Thailand, but the shooter was rash. He was probably a foreigner as well."

Yes, to be fair, there are less combative posts: #2 ("A round of applause for the police"), 18 ("If only he had given the thumbs-up instead he wouldn't have died"), 19 ("Let the law sort this one out").

You must be living in a dream world, just last week you posted this:

A couple of years ago, during a light rain, I was driving my Pick up south of the hot springs. In a turn, I lost my traction and ended up with my truck flipping on its side... No injuries, thank god, but this is what my truck looked like..

DSCF2317a.jpg

Edited by ovenman

a few posts & responses have been deleted. Keep the testosterone level in check & also refrain from flaming or baiting each other or making sweeping statements about thai people. This thread is about a man being killed & not a place for postulating & chest puffing. I hope this is clear, the next flame or macho bs that I read will get the poster a holiday.

3 years here won't make an expert of you. You still have a long way to go, and many things to learn in Thailand, about Thai drivers. The last thing I would do if some trouble happen, is to flip the finger! It is a clear request for problems. Many of my thai friends, who are not gangsters, always mention that Thai can become quite nasty when on the road....

My 2 cents

3 years here won't make an expert of you. You still have a long way to go, and many things to learn in Thailand, about Thai drivers. The last thing I would do if some trouble happen, is to flip the finger! It is a clear request for problems. Many of my thai friends, who are not gangsters, always mention that Thai can become quite nasty when on the road....

My 2 cents

Never said I was an expert I merely responded to a a post that was deleted I simply said i will act just as a thai would should they cause me to lose face. whats good for the goose is good for the gander.