Inverted Forks, Are There Better?

Cobrabiker

I have a 2003 Yamaha FZ1 Fazer, I heard the mechanic saying that I could change it to a R1 inverted forks, it will corner better. Well, I have no knowledge about the inverted forks at all, and specifically how does it perform and improve on the standard forks,

What are the pros and cons of inverted forks? I only have 1 day to decide before the R1 forks are sold to other people, your input and experience is very much welcome. Thanks! (Btw. price is not a concern here as it is a trade in)

Well it will look better that's for sure!

04 R1 front forks were good... very good even as standard. Re valved and tuned by someone like Kaiss in the UK they were AWESOME!

Your getting the yolks as well right? And you have checked that the yolks will bolt straight through the frame head with no modifications right?

Make sure you put new bearings in the frame before you put it all back together even if the original bearings look fine. If your going to that extent then don't penny pinch.

I dont know the FZR (never ridden one) other than knowing of it. From memory it is an R1 but de-tuned and without so may trick bits. I would have thought everything should be interchangeable. It would also make sense that the R1 would have a more aggressive rake and trail so it should be a bit more aggressive through the corners with R1 yolks. Yes it would turn quicker, but that will come at a cost.... stability.

But then as I stated at the start of the post.... it will look really trick. Go for it!

If you are interested in lowering the unsprung weight but I don't ride at a level that would justify them. If you do OK. Plus on the road I am not sure if anyone can. Sure they look cool and if the price is right.

I believe I am right when I say that for road bikes Honda uses conventional forks because the telescoping part is up and away from road grime etc.

This being said I did put some on a Honda wave just for effect. :)

KICX0009-1.jpg

If you are interested in lowering the unsprung weight but I don't ride at a level that would justify them. If you do OK. Plus on the road I am not sure if anyone can. Sure they look cool and if the price is right.

I believe I am right when I say that for road bikes Honda uses conventional forks because the telescoping part is up and away from road grime etc.

This being said I did put some on a Honda wave just for effect. :)

Hey, where's your thumb brake?? :D How are you supposed to do any type of decent trail braking without it :D:D

Edited by Garry

As stated before, they look trick.

They also perform better when pushed hard enough. Since the relatively thin walled cartridges are held up top in the triple trees they don't flex as much being braced. And as mentioned earlier, the weight redistribution can help on turn in.

Well it will look better that's for sure!

04 R1 front forks were good... very good even as standard. Re valved and tuned by someone like Kaiss in the UK they were AWESOME!

Your getting the yolks as well right? And you have checked that the yolks will bolt straight through the frame head with no modifications right?

-snip-

Sorry man. You started out sounding like someone who knows something about their bike parts but your credibility took a plunge as soon as I ran into the word 'yolks'.

This is a yolk:

41-PassEgg.jpg

This is a fork yoke, also known as a triple tree:

triple-tree01.jpg

Anyhoo, back to the topic of inverted forks. As mentioned earlier in this thread they are better, but only if you plan on pushing your bike hard enough to feel the benefits. It's like a slipper clutch. It's pointless on having one if you never plan on taking your bike hot into corners.

Edited by Zzinged

Inverted forks are actually NOT inverted, the old style actually IS.

Are the proper forks better, yes they are big time if you ever ride hard... How do you ride your FZ1? It's a sport tourer, do you ever take her to the track? YES, change to so-called inverted forks now or buy a supersport bike... NO, never mind you won't ever feel the difference.

An that is the simple answer. You do track, change if not never mind...

When upside down forks came out, as hailed in their day, I didn't think much of it until I bought my 04R1. Before that I had the then normal style forks and often problem of leaky fork seals from repeated stone chips on unprotected hard chrome. I eventually solved my fork seal failure problem by buying new fork pistons and putting on fork gators before fitting them back into the triple clamps. Then I always had to fiddle with the gators once in awhile to see if I had leaks from the seals, which stopped happening's but it was cumbesome. Along comes my brand new 2004 R1. New style forks, aerodynamically protected hard chrome via the front guard. No gators needed to protect fork seal hard chrome, no fork seal changes required while I owned it, easy to keep clean and minimal chance of the scraper seals having dirt sitting on the feather edge.

I never tracked my bike, but from a reduced maintenance scenario, I will swear by them for that very convenience.

When upside down forks came out, as hailed in their day, I didn't think much of it until I bought my 04R1. Before that I had the then normal style forks and often problem of leaky fork seals from repeated stone chips on unprotected hard chrome. I eventually solved my fork seal failure problem by buying new fork pistons and putting on fork gators before fitting them back into the triple clamps. Then I always had to fiddle with the gators once in awhile to see if I had leaks from the seals, which stopped happening's but it was cumbesome. Along comes my brand new 2004 R1. New style forks, aerodynamically protected hard chrome via the front guard. No gators needed to protect fork seal hard chrome, no fork seal changes required while I owned it, easy to keep clean and minimal chance of the scraper seals having dirt sitting on the feather edge.

I never tracked my bike, but from a reduced maintenance scenario, I will swear by them for that very convenience.

• 2 weeks later...