Idea For Tuk-tuks In Patong.

NamKangMan

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mate you might of been coming to phuket for seven years, however you havent learnt much .

Mmmm .... that's what I was thinking.

:D

Give the guy a fair go, for crying out loud..Probably not at all do-able but its a positive thought

Much better option than you wanting to drive a tank over them all...good grief man :)

This only applies to a UK city, I can get a metered taxi [as they all are] for a 6 mile trip for 250 THB, in Phuket a 2km trip in a tiny engined death trap is roughly the same with fuel, insurance etc a fraction of what it is back home.

Tourists think the tuk tuk's are cute and a 'taste of thailand', they don't really care what it costs.

1. They are not Thai Tuk Tuk's, they are a tiny engined rip off and have never been part of the true Thai experience.

2. They are run by bullies and thugs that run a racket through numbers alone.

3. Theses scum are endemic in Phuket where the attitude is come here spend your money and go home. [not my words, that was from an immigration official.]

4. We are tolerated here whilst we spend money, we are not and never will be really wanted in the LOS.

Little Thailanders should really wake up and live in the real world.

Trying to convince me that the tuk tuk drivers are friendly, courteous, honest, sincere is just not going to change my experience (which was quite the opposite)

Sorry

I wish i could believe this.

Many Thai people do fit the bill (above). Just not any tuk tuk drivers that I have met. (admitting not many except in traffic)

Look I am no fan of some of the attitudes you see either. "Dtang Rang" as they say in the south language. As I said they see farangs spending huge sums on grog and women then the same dude gets all moral and righteous about being clipped a few bucks extra on his tuk tuk ride.

Most of the belly-aching you see on this forum only reveals that persons inability to deal with Thais in an appropriate way. Instead of staying cool and negotiating, too many farangs I see just fly off the handle swearing and cursing over perhaps $5 US. Recently I read about that guy who was scared of a Tuk tuk driver who followed him home. Yet, he gave the guy the middle finger!!!

Man, that is like challenging a Thai guy to a fight til the death. It is considered a very serious insult and I have never ever seen a Thai do that in any traffic situation no matter how bad it got. That is a gesture simply not used in normal Thai culture. See most tourists to Patong see loud and obnoxious bar girls copying everything they see on farang movies and think it normal in the rest of Thailand. It aint and could get you killed.

Tuk tuk drivers work long hours in hot conditions and often drive too fast trying to get back to their queue. I just don't use them. I have a number of taxi driver friends who I just phone when needed. Air-con, reasonnable prices and friendly reliable service. They are around if you look for them.

Please email me the phone number of your taxi driver. You did use the word "reasonable." I'm guessing that's not 200 baht for a 1 km journey, considering it's still only 500 baht (I pay 700 baht) for a trip to the airport. If you read my first post, I pay more for a hotel that is within walking distance - YES - I am paying MORE. I am not cheap charlie. It's just 200 baht to take me to a place that is just out of comfortable walking distance is extortion. Hence, I stay central, but, aren't I now lacking the choice of where I stay, due to the high cost of tuk-tuks. Tuk-tuk to lunch, tuk-tuk to the market, tuk-tuk out to a bar, return, that's 1200 baht, more than my hotel room per night and I have only been driven approximately 8 kms. The only slice of the tourist pie they are getting are the first timers to Thailand, who, no doubt, will not be caught out again. Tell me, how much would your taxi driver charges you for a 1 to 2 km journey? I bet it's not 200 baht, and he has air conditioning. :D

Have you not heard of "shanks pony" -why not just walk. I thought I was Patongs laziest bastard but even I can do a couple of km's nightly. You are playing 'victim' when you have choices. Rent a motorbike, buy a bike at Tesco for 1200 baht and dink your babe home. :) The greatest pleasure I get is riding the road from Patong to Bang Tao on my bike. I know every crack, bump and pot hole. I nearly crashed last week in Patong on that road behind Carrefour. They aren't pot holes there, they are mine shafts. My number plate fell off and I thought my back was broken.

Seriously just walk, you'll be fitter, trimmer and won't have to put up with the tuk tuks. Put on the Ipod and just smile at the Indians like I do. I just say "yes yes wonderful day" or something silly as I pass. I am only half serious when posting here. This forum is considered a bit of a joke by most people I know who live in Phuket. Only ever bad news and evil Thais ripping off poor old farang etc. :D Never see a story about all the happy tourists who come year after year having a great time.

I met an american last week and he said to me. You know what I like about Thai Visa.com. I said no, what? He said I just love how you get so many rational, logical, unemotive and balanced people posting on there. You can only laugh.................... :D

Later this year, I will spend 4 months in Patong. I love the place. I chose to stay in Thailand for all it's good, and it's bad. It's always an interesting and exciting place and if the day comes when I am whinging about everying, everyday - I'll move on. Laziness is not my issue - I train in the gym and go for swims and I jog. When I chose to relax - I would not like to walk, but get a tuk-tuk around. A lot of negative things have been said on the tuk-tuk issue, in this thread, and many others. Obviously, something is not right in the industry. I offered an idea that, just maybe, all interested parties may embrace. Simply, it's what's going on in Pattaya with the baht buses, but using the existing Patong equipment, the current tuk-tuks, so there is no outlay to start up.

As mentioned earlier, I now stay within walking distance to the centre. I haven't got a tuk-tuk in Patong for years, so, it's not a huge issue for me. I just thought, as a first time poster, I would share an idea I had that would make everybody happy.

logbags, yes, your memory is indeed fuzzy.

You're not the only long term resident, but, it seems my memory is better than yours.

:) Quit while you're behind 'logbags'. I think 'CaptainZero' may be the un-newbiest newbie on TV.

This is quite a strange thread for me. Not only because it's interesting and it's lasted this long without some div being abusive, spitting their dummy out and having it closed, but because I agree with nearly every post written, even though they are two complete different arguments.

'logbags', I liked your posts, I thought they were pretty on the mark. I have always commented on how bizarre it is so many people live here yet they seem to have such a genuine dislike of Thai people. There is no doubt in my mind that everyone is jumping on an anti Tuk Tuk band wagon, and the reality has been blown way out of proportion. If you think that everyone of those drivers in that long queue is a mindless thug, who would assault you as quick as drive you home, then I'm afraid you have been brainwashed by the constant obsession people have developed and the ridiculous amount of attention they receive. I think most drivers would love to have a better reputation, and not have the mindless violence of a small percentage of drivers, constantly dragging their name through the sewers.

As far as I'm concerned, Tuk Tuks are for tourists. I don't see how any long term residents think they have the right to moan. We know how expensive they are, we know they can be dodgy, so we steer well clear, it's as simple as that. Get a bike, take bike taxis, or as already mentioned, walk.

For tourists, I do not believe that they are that unbelievably expensive. People who live here forget what tourists are about. Three friends of mine are in Thailand now, have been for 3 weeks. They have already been on more speed boats in the last 3 weeks than I have in the last 10 years. They haven't stayed in a hotel for less than 4k per night and most, like on Phi Phi where nearer 6k. In Bkk on there way home they have a hotel suite booked that goes for 25k per night. The money they have spent in 3 weeks, me and my family could live nicely on for 6 months. And these lads aren't the older, richer tourists that flood to Thailand, they are young lads in their 20's. Do you really think they were worried when they had to pay 200 baht for a tuk tuk. For every whiner on TV, and for every horror story in the gazette there are thousands of tourists who don't have an issue with them or how much they cost, and that is why they survive and always will.

Now on the other side of the coin. The behaviour of some of the drivers is despicable to say the least and they need to be weeded out and dealt with appropriately. The monopoly they have is unfortunate. It would be nice for them to have some fair competition, but a lot of things would be nice, I would be happy just for Thai plugs to fit Thai plug sockets. That pis#es me off a lot more than Tuk Tuks do.

Life's way too short for Tuk tuks to big as big of a story as they are, let's put it to bed people and move on.

Brian started out leasing the front left bar on Soi Crocodile (Soi Ko Yoi). He first had one unit, then he leased the next one making a double bar.

!@@ Yes, that was 1985. I met Brian the very same day he arrived in Patong from Pattaya. I liked him at first but he changed after opening his bar. Cracked the shits as I would not drink in his bar after he banned me from bringing my own mekhong. Many bars were happy to have you spend a lot on coke and ice but Brian insisted on you buying by the glass. I had been spoilt by benevolent bar owners. Andrew from Singapore was his competition across at the black rose bar. Good lookin male model. Got fire bombed in Kata after opening live music venue. Was at opening night, he got dobbed in for having Fillipino bands then fire bombed. Man I never saw him again.

After he sold out, he then made Dooleys which incorporated The Pizza Factory which sold the first pizza in Patong.

@@ No way, the first over priced pizza perhaps, there was a little place near Jims bar that made great pizzas way before Dooleys. Brian was like the Taco Bill of Patong in being a franchise type of guy.

Soi Ko Yoi was built in 1982, yet you say the Kangaroo bar was opened in 1983, yet, you don't remember Soi Ko Yoi?I

@@ We never knew or gave shit, we had names of our own for everybody and everything. We used to be merciless in taking the piss out of Germans. Either pretending to be German or just goose stepping and giving the Hitler salute. There was a Bavarian band playing at the Grille Hutte one night and we goose stepped past like John Cleese while all these Germans just stared in disbelief. I used to see Jim from the Kangaroo bar here in australia. He married a nice Filipino girl and had some kids and settled down back here.

Yes, Wim owned the Lucky Star bar. If he was ripping off the girls, then it must run in the blood as he was the father of JJ of jet-ski fame. Wim fell off his motor bike at very low speed and cracked his head on the kerb. He eventually died of his injury.

@@ Wow that blows my mind, shit I knew that little Tike when he was born. His mother was actually Cambodian and called herself Anne. She had no ID card and Wim had to keep that secret. He was a total alcho and pimp, He had the funniest old car I ever seen. He lived in Soi Nam Yen I remember that much. Shit that JJ dude is one screwed up dude. A lot of Thai people I know were pretty filthy about his language on that video. Man it's all crystal clear now. I heard of Wims injuries and accident.

You're not the only long term resident, but, it seems my memory is better than yours.

@@Certainly is, the only 2 dudes I know who know more about Patong are Georgio from Tropica or Alexander from K Hotel and Pla Seafood fame. Or that French dude from Chez Bernard No 4 on the beach. He was in Patong years before me. Never see those people anymore. Saw Alex in Surin last week walking his pit Bulls. Seems like a nice enough guy. His wife Pla is an old friend of mine. My young mate Dave was her first farang love, still asks me about him. She is still only about 21 LOL. She is from Nakhon Sri and I spend a lot of time there nowadays. I don't mix with many farangs but have a certain amount of associates who come over now and then. Try to keep a low profile LOL.

You must know my old mate Kai Somnam who's family runs all the boats, jet skis and beach stuff. I'd hardly call him a mafia man. Big family but no Sopranos. I know who runs or ran a lot of the illegal gaming activity in Patong. It is a woman who is Lao not a local.

Why are you all whining about a 200 baht taxi ride?

You know the price before you get in

So what ......... pay it or walk!!!

200 baht = 6 USD = 4.20 Euros = 3.73 GBP

How much do taxi cost back home?

Cost 3.25 to get in a taxi back in Canada

How the heck can so many people complain about such a little amount

I find it baffling

Yeah because local labour rates, minimum wage, and cost of living is just the same in Canada.. :)

But comparing tuktuks to UK black taxis they are actually about the same.

Have you not heard of "shanks pony" -why not just walk. I thought I was Patongs laziest bastard but even I can do a couple of km's nightly. You are playing 'victim' when you have choices. Rent a motorbike, buy a bike at Tesco for 1200 baht and dink your babe home. :)

Yeah an ideal solution to 4am apres bar travel from Patong to another town. Just walk, you'll be home by 9am.

'logbags', I liked your posts, I thought they were pretty on the mark. I have always commented on how bizarre it is so many people live here yet they seem to have such a genuine dislike of Thai people. There is no doubt in my mind that everyone is jumping on an anti Tuk Tuk band wagon, and the reality has been blown way out of proportion. If you think that everyone of those drivers in that long queue is a mindless thug, who would assault you as quick as drive you home, then I'm afraid you have been brainwashed by the constant obsession people have developed and the ridiculous amount of attention they receive. I think most drivers would love to have a better reputation, and not have the mindless violence of a small percentage of drivers, constantly dragging their name through the sewers.

No one is saying EVERY, or even a majority.. It shouldnt need to be pointed out and rephrased in each post but there you go.

But you have already posted that you live a long way from the tourist centers.. Phuket west coast from Kata to Surin is almost a different environment from North (east or west) reflected in prices, attitudes and actions.

If you think there isnt a Thug element I would say just drive a pickup with a song tao back on it, with a nice bunch of tourists and drop them off and pick them up at the Thai Boxing. See how that works out and how many it takes for a small minority to be well enough represented.

As far as I'm concerned, Tuk Tuks are for tourists. I don't see how any long term residents think they have the right to moan. We know how expensive they are, we know they can be dodgy, so we steer well clear, it's as simple as that. Get a bike, take bike taxis, or as already mentioned, walk.

An attitude which sadly contributes to and feeds into the terrible drink driving problem we have. Residents 'have' to drive or support the status quo.

4. We are tolerated here whilst we spend money, we are not and never will be really wanted in the LOS.

Little Thailanders should really wake up and live in the real world.

That's the exact attitude I was referring to. Comments like that make me side even more with the Tuk tuk drivers.

It always makes me laugh when people accuse people of trying to be Thai, or one of the many other ways I've seen it worded, like in this case 'little Thailanders'. When what that really means, is people who like Thai people, try to learn the language the best they can, try to mix with the local community, and are genuinely happy living here in Thailand. If you see that as a derogatory way to be, then it's no wonder you and lots of others are always moaning.

:D Quit while you're behind 'logbags'. I think 'CaptainZero' may be the un-newbiest newbie on TV.

This is quite a strange thread for me. Not only because it's interesting and it's lasted this long without some div being abusive, spitting their dummy out and having it closed, but because I agree with nearly every post written, even though they are two complete different arguments.

For tourists, I do not believe that they are that unbelievably expensive. People who live here forget what tourists are about. Three friends of mine are in Thailand now, have been for 3 weeks. They have already been on more speed boats in the last 3 weeks than I have in the last 10 years. They haven't stayed in a hotel for less than 4k per night and most, like on Phi Phi where nearer 6k. In Bkk on there way home they have a hotel suite booked that goes for 25k per night. The money they have spent in 3 weeks, me and my family could live nicely on for 6 months. And these lads aren't the older, richer tourists that flood to Thailand, they are young lads in their 20's. Do you really think they were worried when they had to pay 200 baht for a tuk tuk. For every whiner on TV, and for every horror story in the gazette there are thousands of tourists who don't have an issue with them or how much they cost, and that is why they survive and always will.

Now on the other side of the coin. The behaviour of some of the drivers is despicable to say the least and they need to be weeded out and dealt with appropriately. The monopoly they have is unfortunate. It would be nice for them to have some fair competition, but a lot of things would be nice, I would be happy just for Thai plugs to fit Thai plug sockets. That pis#es me off a lot more than Tuk Tuks do.

Life's way too short for Tuk tuks to big as big of a story as they are, let's put it to bed people and move on.

Fantastic post and that dude indeed knows Patong better than me. Mind you if you knew some of the farangs back in those days you'd understand why I avoided most. Many were up to some serious monkey business. I could tell a few more tales but most are best off left buried in the past. My last comment is there is so much more to Thailand than Patong, Tuk tuks and bar girls. Shit, just get over it and walk or buy your own transport. There are not enough Poms driving Toyota Fortuners with a mobile stuck to their ear............................. :)

:) Quit while you're behind 'logbags'. I think 'CaptainZero' may be the un-newbiest newbie on TV.

:D

Great post this one WOOHOO and absolutely agree with what you say, Quoted Below ;

On another thread..''Crazy tuk- tuk chases me home''' i said much the same thing and was ''well chastised'' by the OP..lol ....

'' None as blind as he who DOESN"T want to see'' comes to mind huh..

logbags', I liked your posts, I thought they were pretty on the mark. I have always commented on how bizarre it is so many people live here yet they seem to have such a genuine dislike of Thai people. There is no doubt in my mind that everyone is jumping on an anti Tuk Tuk band wagon, and the reality has been blown way out of proportion. If you think that everyone of those drivers in that long queue is a mindless thug, who would assault you as quick as drive you home, then I'm afraid you have been brainwashed by the constant obsession people have developed and the ridiculous amount of attention they receive. I think most drivers would love to have a better reputation, and not have the mindless violence of a small percentage of drivers, constantly dragging their name through the sewers.

Have you not heard of "shanks pony" -why not just walk. I thought I was Patongs laziest bastard but even I can do a couple of km's nightly. You are playing 'victim' when you have choices. Rent a motorbike, buy a bike at Tesco for 1200 baht and dink your babe home. :)

Yeah an ideal solution to 4am apres bar travel from Patong to another town. Just walk, you'll be home by 9am.

Wow. You've made 9,600 posts :D You joined in 2004 so over 6 years you have posted 1500+ plus times every year. Now that's somebody spending way too much time online. :D Share Trader? Online Poker? Gotta be share trader, even poker players aren't online that much.

@ 'livinLOS'

No one is saying EVERY, or even a majority.. It shouldn't need to be pointed out and rephrased in each post but there you go.

So you're agreeing that the problem is only with the minority of drivers. That's kind of what I meant when I said it was being blown out of proportion. People start throffing at the mouth before you get half way through the second 'tuk'. All because of a rogue minority.

But you have already posted that you live a long way from the tourist centers.. Phuket west coast from Kata to Surin is almost a different environment from North (east or west) reflected in prices, attitudes and actions.

Have you been stalking me? I've never posted where abouts I live, not since I left Kathu.

you're right though, I do live in the North (east or west)

If you think there isnt a Thug element I would say just drive a pickup with a song tao back on it, with a nice bunch of tourists and drop them off and pick them up at the Thai Boxing. See how that works out and how many it takes for a small minority to be well enough represented.

I think we're all agreed that there is a thug element to tuk tuk drivers, and it's unfortunate that they are the connected ring leaders, so the whole industry goes where they say it goes, which is unfortunate for anybody that just goes to work to earn a buck, and not to break a French mans arm with an umbrella.

An attitude which sadly contributes to and feeds into the terrible drink driving problem we have. Residents 'have' to drive or support the status quo.

So when I had a couple at the little bar, at the southern end of Nai Thon beach the other week. It was the Tuk Tuk mafias fault that I drove home with one eye closed!! I think not.

I'm not a tourist and like lots of people, I don't live, and rarely drink, anywhere that Tuk tuks rank, so blaming them for expats drink driving is weak to say the least.

To be honest mate, I agree with a lot you, and the other anti tuk tuk mob (pretty much everyone) say. They aren't great, and Phuket would be better off without them. I just don't think we need to create a 'linch mob' mentality to deal with them. Just pretend they're not there, and work out another way to get around.

I find it baffling

The taxi meters are no better than the wanke_rs

who charge sevice charges on the bill.

Who they hel_l are they to tell me how much I have

to tip? oh...... so I dont like this .... so I don't go back

to those restaurants

You don't like the fares .... walk but stop complaining about

what is, especially when it is only a couple dollars/euros or quid

I agree. Like I said in my post, I pay more to now stay in a hotel that is walking distance to the centre. I haven't got a tuk-tuk in Patong for years, BUT, don't you think the tuk-tuk prices are "out of whack" with accommodation and meal prices????

Look I am no fan of some of the attitudes you see either. "Dtang Rang" as they say in the south language. As I said they see farangs spending huge sums on grog and women then the same dude gets all moral and righteous about being clipped a few bucks extra on his tuk tuk ride.

Most of the belly-aching you see on this forum only reveals that persons inability to deal with Thais in an appropriate way. Instead of staying cool and negotiating, too many farangs I see just fly off the handle swearing and cursing over perhaps $5 US. Recently I read about that guy who was scared of a Tuk tuk driver who followed him home. Yet, he gave the guy the middle finger!!!

Man, that is like challenging a Thai guy to a fight til the death. It is considered a very serious insult and I have never ever seen a Thai do that in any traffic situation no matter how bad it got. That is a gesture simply not used in normal Thai culture. See most tourists to Patong see loud and obnoxious bar girls copying everything they see on farang movies and think it normal in the rest of Thailand. It aint and could get you killed.

Tuk tuk drivers work long hours in hot conditions and often drive too fast trying to get back to their queue. I just don't use them. I have a number of taxi driver friends who I just phone when needed. Air-con, reasonnable prices and friendly reliable service. They are around if you look for them.

Nice try. Except, your main point why they overcharge is "farangs spending huge sums on grog and women" doesn't stick to everyone.

I once almost got driven of the road and when I honked and flashed my lights, this guy went bereserk showing me the finger and wielding an axe in his car. But I guess it was farang who taught him...

I find it baffling

to those restaurants

I agree. Like I said in my post, I pay more to now stay in a hotel that is walking distance to the centre. I haven't got a tuk-tuk in Patong for years, BUT, don't you think the tuk-tuk prices are "out of whack" with accommodation and meal prices????

No I do not find 200 for a tuk tuk out of whack

No more so than HRC charging 430 for a nachos appetizer

and even more if you want chicken or beef on top, then

adding 10% auto. service charge

No more than the pubs charge 150 for a coca cola

then adding 10% service charge

It is just the price you pay for goods or services

Don't like the price or service then don;t become

a repeat customer or a first time customer

Nice try. Except, your main point why they overcharge is "farangs spending huge sums on grog and women" doesn't stick to everyone.

I once almost got driven of the road and when I honked and flashed my lights, this guy went bereserk showing me the finger and wielding an axe in his car. But I guess it was farang who taught him...

Good point. The battler who has saved for 2 years so he, his wife, and kids, can have their first overseas holiday experience and isn't in the bars flashing cash and pulling bar girls gets ripped off as well.

No I do not find 200 for a tuk tuk out of whack

No more so than HRC charging 430 for a nachos appetizer

and even more if you want chicken or beef on top, then

adding 10% auto. service charge

No more than the pubs charge 150 for a coca cola

then adding 10% service charge

It is just the price you pay for goods or services

Don't like the price or service then don;t become

a repeat customer or a first time customer

Where your argument falls down is - I can get nachos in several different restaurants of varying quality, service and price. I can buy a coke just about anywhere, once again, with different prices and level of service. Pick a random tuk-tuk and it's 200 baht. Wave him on and pick the next one and it's 200 baht. You could do this to each and every tuk-tuk and it's always 200 baht. It's called collusion - something your favourite nacho restaurant and coca cola bars DON'T do. Look it up in the dictionary.

Where your argument falls down is - I can get nachos in several different restaurants of varying quality, service and price. I can buy a coke just about anywhere, once again, with different prices and level of service. Pick a random tuk-tuk and it's 200 baht. Wave him on and pick the next one and it's 200 baht. You could do this to each and every tuk-tuk and it's always 200 baht. It's called collusion - something your favourite nacho restaurant and coca cola bars DON'T do. Look it up in the dictionary.

Its 200 to go a few 100m.. The other day my buddy needed transport and the girls were in high heels and not walking mode and it was quoted at 400 baht to travel less than 500m.. At night in Patong the pricing they now ask is really getting silly.

Hence people drink and drive.. Simply to avoid the whole nasty experience..

@WooHoo.. Not stalking you :) you posted recently how nice it was to live where you are and how the people in that area are still easy going and good natured. Hence I kinda remember if you are in that region, you probably dont experience to same level of conflict. Even getting only a little way out of the tourist centres and the attitudes change markedly.

I find it baffling

to those restaurants

You find it baffling because you've completely missed the point. You don't go back to restaurants that over charge you, you go to others, but there is no alternative than to take a tuk tuk in Phuket if you've had a few drinks. I don't care what it is in Euro or Pound, I live and work in Thailand. It's all relative. I can understand that for a casual visitor like yourself, who's probably spent 2 weeks in Patong on holiday, it's not important. You have no frame of reference.

Both Thai and foreign people that live here all the year round would benefit from having a fairly priced metered taxi or decent bus service. That shouldn't be too much to ask, should it?

I can understand that for a casual visitor like yourself, who's probably spent 2 weeks in Patong on holiday, it's not important. You have no frame of reference.

Exactly, and that's who the tuk tuks are there for. That's where the confusion is in how expensive they are. Residents are mixing their Thai incomes with a service supplied for tourists. Patong is one of the most touristic places in Thailand. People go there to spend lots of money, and people work there to cream as much as they can. That's exactly how tourist hot spots work.

Both Thai and foreign people that live here all the year round would benefit from having a fairly priced metered taxi or decent bus service. That shouldn't be too much to ask, should it?

If you want to live in a nice little town in the UK or US then no, it wouldn't be too much to ask. You've chosen to live in the most touristic area of the most touristic island in Thailand, a country, in recent years, built on tourism. So I guess, yes, it is.

Incidentally, why isn't this an issue for the many more Thais living on that part of the island? They seem to manage all right. When in Rome as they say, which in this case means buy a bike or use bike taxis, I'm guessing that's what true Patongians do.

Incidentally, why isn't this an issue for the many more Thais living on that part of the island? They seem to manage all right. When in Rome as they say, which in this case means buy a bike or use bike taxis, I'm guessing that's what true Patongians do.

And again I say.. That this is part why we have to read things like this.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Young-Mom-Ki...un-t329547.html

Sorry mate I don't buy that. First you blame Tuk tuks for Farang breaking the law and drink driving, now you're blaming them for a motorbike accident in the northern half of the island! I'm fairly sure that a bus service runs through that part of the island, so that is another very weak argument I'm afraid. If you gave me a link to a story, about a Farang having an accident in Patong or Karon. That would have made a bit more sense.

The way I see it you move to a place based on all the information you know. Patongs Tuk tuk situation, has been as it is for a very long time, so if you move there and then complain about how things are, you are pretty daft if you ask me. It would be like me moving out to the sticks and then complaining that I don't have any nightclubs on my doorstep!!

Patong is a town built around the tourist industry, you live there, you take it for what it is and how it is, or you move on.

And in your esteemed opinion, had she been in one of your despised tuk-tuks in this same crash, she would still be alive now?..laughable!! Would have to have been a tuk-tuk because very unlikely to have bus service in the early AM even if one was operating.

You find it baffling because you've completely missed the point. You don't go back to restaurants that over charge you, you go to others, but there is no alternative than to take a tuk tuk in Phuket if you've had a few drinks. I don't care what it is in Euro or Pound, I live and work in Thailand. It's all relative. I can understand that for a casual visitor like yourself, who's probably spent 2 weeks in Patong on holiday, it's not important. You have no frame of reference.

No I did not miss the point

I am not a "casual visitor", I live in Bangkok

Tourist places all over the world are the same

Locals out to take tourist money

Everyone wants a piece of the pie

Happens everywhere you go

Sorry mate I don't buy that. First you blame Tuk tuks for Farang breaking the law and drink driving, now you're blaming them for a motorbike accident in the northern half of the island! I'm fairly sure that a bus service runs through that part of the island, so that is another very weak argument I'm afraid. If you gave me a link to a story, about a Farang having an accident in Patong or Karon. That would have made a bit more sense.

Well that was just a recent news story I could link.. Lets face it theres a serious amount of drunk driving here, both Thai and Farang and part of the reason its so prevalent is no one wants to use tuktuks and theres few other options.

Admittedly the story is not directly tuktuk related, thats not my point, only that accidents like that continue to happen with regularity, because of the public transport problems.

The way I see it you move to a place based on all the information you know. Patongs Tuk tuk situation, has been as it is for a very long time, so if you move there and then complain about how things are, you are pretty daft if you ask me. It would be like me moving out to the sticks and then complaining that I don't have any nightclubs on my doorstep!!

Patong is a town built around the tourist industry, you live there, you take it for what it is and how it is, or you move on.

Sure.. but the problem was really a non issue back at the turn of the millennium, in fact I would say its only really got crazy since the one way system, before that it was a problem but not to the levels it is now.

Admittedly the story is not directly tuktuk related, thats not my point, only that accidents like that continue to happen with regularity, because of the public transport problems..Quote from linlos

:)

RE your weird statement above.

Just as an example, and i guarrentee this is the fact in EVERY so called developed country, but i can tell you for fact that in Aus, drink driving collisions [ they are NOT accidents] and drink driving in general are ever increasing in number, year on year.

This, absolutely despite having great trains buses and overpriced taxis for public transport...

Why would it be any different here, or anywhere , for that matter?

I had dinner in Kamala. My friend got me a taxi bike back to Patong. 50 baht. We took a clean modern taxi with a/c there from Patong ( around the beach road police box & Bangla road), it was 120 baht. My friend was Thai.

Had I done this on my own, I doubt I would have paid such reasonable fares.

My friend says to me, what problems? Why are you always complaining about Jetskis and tuk tuks.it's business. He is the manager of several properties on behalf of a European. His two hotels were at 100% capacity over the holidays and he has mostly repeat clients. His apartments and shop houses are doing well. He says to me, I am negative and that I shouldn't read bad things in TV because if Phuket was so bad, the properties he manages wouldn't have customers and the place wouldn't be busy if people were not returning. His views are completely the opposite of mine and I have stopped discussing the matter with him since it leads to some very uncomfortable and angry arguments.

My point here is that we see it one way and the people that can make the changes and improvements see it another way. We can make as many constructive suggestions and discuss this till our fingers fall off, but the locals are not listening and if they are, just do not see the benefits. Until there is economic pain, there will be no incentive for improvement. Innovation and planning is not a concept in practice. Copying is. Show them how it is profitable or has the appearance of being better and the powers that be will consider it.

My point here is that we see it one way and the people that can make the changes and improvements see it another way. We can make as many constructive suggestions and discuss this till our fingers fall off, but the locals are not listening and if they are, just do not see the benefits. Until there is economic pain, there will be no incentive for improvement. Innovation and planning is not a concept in practice. Copying is. Show them how it is profitable or has the appearance of being better and the powers that be will consider it.

I'm confused. He's just told you that everything is going swimmingly, business is booming, his hotels don't have a single empty bed, and you tell him he needs to do things differently, make changes, and that he needs to listen to you to be more profitable!! How exactly do you make a full hotel more profitable??

Wise Farang have been predicting the downfall of the Thai tourist industry,for as long as I can remember. It's always, 'if this doesn't happen' or 'if that doesn't happen' or if Tuk tuks aren't turned in to buses etc etc, the tourists will stop coming, but guess what, they never do. 'The locals' don't want to listen to you because they don't need to, they are happy doing exactly what they are doing, because as your friend will testify, it works.

What it seems like to me, is that everyone wants changes that will benefit them, at the cost of the business men, and that's not how the real world works. They don't listen to your ideas, because they benefit you and not them, so why would they.

People always get upset when I say this, but I honestly believe no farang has the right to make changes in Thailand. I don't care if you work and pay taxes, you do that because living here give you a much better life than living wherever you are from does. Why not be content with that and stop thinking that you have the right to change things. You have the right to stay here and accept the way things are, and enjoy them as most do, or move on.