Was Nearly Killed At Zebra Crossing Today !

freebird32

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They should remove them all - Zebra crossings present a huge danger to unsuspecting tourists and are quite simply lethal.

In Thailand they are road paint without any point at all - Given the attitude of drivers in Thailand, its far safer to let people and tourists negotiate their own way through the traffic on their own terms.

I do feel especially for the elderly when trying to cross the road. And I hate it when I stop to let them cross and motorbikes and cars continue to scream past me.

I sometimes think that this issue shows the true colors of the character of Thai drivers - In a nation widely well considered for its image of politeness and welcome, the consideration for other people is a complete contraction to the reality once people in Thailand get into their cars.

Edited by richard_smith237

They should remove them all - Zebra crossings present a huge danger to unsuspecting tourists and are quite simply lethal.

In Thailand they are road paint without any point at all - Given the attitude of drivers in Thailand, its far safer to let people and tourists negotiate their own way through the traffic on their own terms.

I do feel especially for the elderly when trying to cross the road. And I hate it when I stop to let them cross and motorbikes and cars continue to scream past me.

if you do stop the bloke behind you wont.

if you do stop the bloke behind you wont.

Agreed - Stopping out of consideration actually makes it more dangerous for people crossing the road and I've nearly been the cause of an accident by simply allowing people to cross in front of me...

It's something that I have learnt while driving here - As politely as I would and like to drive at home, I'd create confusion and accidents if I drove with the same consideration here. People expect you not to give way and drive accordingly.

They need to have them and they need a 'crackdown'--but this time on drivers, rather than pedestrians.

Thailand, like everywhere, has it's problem with drivers and pedestrians, so always be careful and look both ways before crossing. Your mom probably told you that and she was right.

Back home, there's more fake friendliness on the road (there's so much friendly waving going on you'd think everyone knows everyone) and saving one's rude side for face to face encounters, while here there's more being fake face to face and your letting your 'evil' side loose on the roads. That said, there's plenty of folks of all nationalities who are pretty rude no matter what the environment.

:)

I sometimes think that this issue shows the true colors of the character of Thai drivers - In a nation widely well considered for its image of politeness and welcome, the consideration for other people is a complete contraction to the reality once people in Thailand get into their cars.

I had exactly the same happen to me only today.

On my way back from town and there was an old lady slowly making her way across the road ahead. I stopped to let her get safely across and had the car behind me lean on his horn, come around me and pass by the lady extremely close.

When she had finished crossing the road I continued on my way and caught up with the other driver stopped at the next set of lights.

There does seem to be an almost total lack of consideration for others on the roads here.

I think the worst case i've seen was just last week when there was a young (thai) mother crossing the street at a zebra crossing with a stroller. I stopped, but in the lane next to me cars were flying past; a taxi came literally 6inches away from smashing into the stroller.

Edited by dave111223

There was a "crackdown" on this back in October, although it appears to have occurred in a specified area and not all over, as with all crackdowns, they appear to be short lived.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Bangkok-Jayw...html&st=200

Update:

Thai crosswalk law enforcement begins

Crosswalk laws seriously enforced

BANGKOK: -- Police have kicked off the exercising of stricter traffic laws today by fining citizens who fail to use flyovers and crosswalks 200 baht.

Police setup fine payment tables as well as promotional signs along Victory Monument today to begin the enforcement of more serious laws obligating pedestrians to use crosswalks and flyovers. Citizens who fail to comply with the revamped regulations will be fined 200 baht. 4 people were already fined this morning in an indication of the seriousness of the regulations.

At the same time, the traffic police have cracked down on cars and motorcycles not stopping for crossing pedestrians at the Rachaprasong Intersection. 4 vehicles were cited for violations and fined this morning, but on the whole drivers and pedestrians have cooperated with the new laws.

-- NNT 2009-08-03

Unfortunatly while driving in Thailand you have to drive as the Thais do. This includes blasting through Zebra crossings, otherwise the guy behind you will plough into your car or a taxi or bus will just drive on through regardless of how many children are trying to cross the road.

I stopped once and was abused for the next two kilometers. It's a joke, now I flash and carry on driving and hope nobody steps into the road.

It's the same as cars doing a U-turn! The outside lane is blockedso all cars on the inside use that as a way to overtake or undertake and get into the outside lane. There are no manners while driving here, just keep your foot down and stop for nobody, and strangely enough you will probably not have an accident. However, if you insist on Driving as you were taught then you most likely will suffer a crash.

TIT

drive safe, and look both ways when crossing a one way street

Edited by onnut

there was a farang woman ( 40 50 ish ) hit on a zebra crossing out side the park in chiang mai yesterday.

there was a screech of tyres a bang and ten thai food vendors ran to stare at the lady who had been knocked back onto the pavement by the impact .... but they did nothing !

three or four farangs ran to help the woman who obviously wasnt badly hurt coz she was sat on a seat by the time i got there but she probably has a few bruzes today

credo .

re ..... look both ways before crossing...... nahhhh NOT enough

i always glance every way .... front , back and both sides .... and do all the time im crossing any road here but even doing that ive had a few close calls : (

dave2

Whatever you do Apetley Do NOT give em the Finger. Arsholes on the roads everywere Not only in Thailand

Thailand does have more than it's fair share

Your right and I would never give the finger over here, not my nature anyway.

I know more than one Thai who carries a gun in their car so best not to provoke anyone you do not know.

I've had Thai drivers stop for me while waiting to cross at a zebra crossing, but it's not common. In any case, I never rely on drivers stopping either in Thailand or in the West. I see people crossing the streets in the States without paying too much attention to the drivers and I know they would get hit in Thailand.

Whatever you do Apetley Do NOT give em the Finger. Arsholes on the roads everywere Not only in Thailand

Thailand does have more than it's fair share

not without bullet-proof glass.

Edited by manarak

For all it's worth, the penalty for hitting a pedestrian in a Zebra Crossing is 500 baht.

Wow -- that oughtta promote some respect for the rights of others, even if your vehicle is a Hummer. What did you expect -- a year or two in jail??????

Along with islands they havent a clue what to do on them.