Bangkok Airways: Credit Card Identification At Check-in

LaoPo

Bangkok Airways

It's not even on their website, (maybe hidden) but I just received this info:

message received 5.09PM Thai time

The Credit Card Identification at the Ceck-In Counter

Bangkok Airways would like to announce that from 16 January onwards,

any credit card holder paying for services will be required t also be part of the

traveling party.

During check-in passengers will be asked to present a form of

identification for security purposes. Acceptable forms include credit card

and Identity Card or passport.

We do highly appreciate your kind cooperation

Bangkok Airways.

LaoPo

It's been this way for sometime with not only bkk air but others as well such as Thai, the exception is with bkk air if its a verified by visa or secure master card then you don't need to present the card, but this may have changed too now.

while i dont fly bkkairways i've always been asked to show the actual card and of course ID

I don't recall being asked for my credit card when I last flew Bangkok Air in February, but all 6 of the airlines I've used since then have asked, every time, every flight.

One must clarify where online the ticket was purchased before stating whether you have or have not had to show the credit card when checking in.

Most airlines will request the credit card to be presented at check-in when the ticket is purchased from the airlines own website.

If you purchase the ticket online from an online agency like travelocity or bt-store, etc., you will not be requested to show the credit card when you check in.

Just to add a wrinkle to the blanket. I purchased tickets online at Bangkok Airways for my wife and son using my credit card. I also purchased a ticket for myself separately (for client invoicing purposes). I read the bit about the credit card being needed at check-in and worried that my wife and son would have a problem as their tickets were purchased on my plastic. Bangkok Air advised me although our tickets were on separate itineraries, as long as we traveled on the same flight and checked in together, it would not be a problem. However, if we chose different flights, they would have been denied boarding.

Edited by NanLaew

One must clarify where online the ticket was purchased before stating whether you have or have not had to show the credit card when checking in.

Most airlines will request the credit card to be presented at check-in when the ticket is purchased from the airlines own website.

If you purchase the ticket online from an online agency like travelocity or bt-store, etc., you will not be requested to show the credit card when you check in.

Just to add a wrinkle to the blanket. I purchased tickets online at Bangkok Airways for my wife and son using my credit card. I also purchased a ticket for myself separately (for client invoicing purposes). I read the bit about the credit card being needed at check-in and worried that my wife and son would have a problem as their tickets were purchased on my plastic. Bangkok Air advised me although our tickets were on separate itineraries, as long as we traveled on the same flight and checked in together, it would not be a problem. However, if we chose different flights, they would have been denied boarding.

That's the silly part of the situation. Many people (parents) all over the world pay and use CC's for tickets of family members, even friends.

Believe it or not, there are still many people in this world without a credit card and how does it work if someone goes to a travel agent or even BKK Airways and pays for the ticket in cash, for his daughter, son, wife...even a friend.

Does BKK Airways not take these passengers ? :)

LaoPo

^ Buying a ticket for a third party with cash isn't handled the same. The ticket is paid for and all the airline needs is to see that the passengers ID matches the name on the paid reservation. Same if you buy a ticket for someone else with your credit card at the airline office. It is only online credit card purchases direct from certain, if not most, airlines that require the plastic to be presented at check in. I don't see it as an inconvenience but you do have a point about buying tickets online for friends or family using a credit card. I think Thai has a downloadable form and other airlines have similar 'paper trail' type verifications that will allow passengers with third-party online payment/ticketing to check in and board the plane.

However, back to your OP, it appears that Bangkok Airways are going to block ALL passengers with third-party ticket payments from boarding. In think UA had this practise with online purchases where the person making the payment by credit card also had to be on the plane! I was buying a ticket online so that my Personal Assistant could fly home from Hawaii at short notice due to a bereavement. One phone call to their service center sorted that out without any need for additional paperwork but that was about 2 years ago.

Maybe it could be tied in with some increased security being forced on them by their code-share partners? You should call Bangkok Airways direct and see if they have a straightforward answer for this change of policy.

Edited by NanLaew

This copy/paste from their website.

"The Restrictions of Credit Card Payment

For the payment with Visa Card (Non Verified by Visa), Master Card (Non Secure Code), JCB (Non JSecure) and American Express, Cardholder must be one of the travellers on the itinerary, and required to provide the credit card used for online payment and valid identification (passport or identification card) at the check-in counter prior to receive boarding passes."

It's for online payments only. You can still buy a ticket for someone else using credit card at their shops.

^^^^

It's confusing. :D

IF airlines will stop passengers whose tickets were bought online with a third party's credit card it will become a mess.

Of course the one who's flying should identify him/herself with the name on the ticket but that the credit card holder should present him/herself also is weird and will cause future problems, IMO.

The message I received earlier today was literally copy-written by me since I couldn't copy-and-paste the message. The message itself is also confusing.

I wonder why they would put this system in place, since in many cases it will physically be impossible for most CC holders to present themselves at any given check-in counter.

Factual it's absurd.

Example: a Thai father, up north in Thailand phones with his daughter in Samui and explains she has to come home because her mother fell ill.

She's out of cash and has no CC.

He pays online for her ticket and she goes to the airport on Samui....

and....now what ? :D

IF this is what BKK Airways has in mind we can expect lots of troubles and lots of shouting passengers.... :D

EDIT:

In fact -see bold in blue- it's even worse since the FACTUAL sentence by Bangkok Airways says:

"Bangkok Airways would like to announce that from 16 January onwards,

any credit card holder paying for services will be required to also be part of the

traveling party."

IMO, if I read correctly, it means that the one who paid for services (tickets) MUST travel also (together with the other(s) he paid for).

Am I reading incorrectly ? :)

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

I think they are trying to ensure there was a credit card making the purchase. Lets say your card number is stolen and the thief makes an electronic reservation with the number and security code on back of card still in your pocession. The thief shows up to fly no credit card no flight. They are protecting you the consumer who may not know the number and security code has been compromised.

Friends here in the states had a similar situation happen except the thief bought car paint and they had a shipping addresse to his home. It was someone they knew who worked in a restrurant they frequented.

Yes it will pose problems for a few but could save many the hassel of correcting a bogus charge on the credit card.

I think they are trying to ensure there was a credit card making the purchase. Lets say your card number is stolen and the thief makes an electronic reservation with the number and security code on back of card still in your pocession. The thief shows up to fly no credit card no flight. They are protecting you the consumer who may not know the number and security code has been compromised.

Friends here in the states had a similar situation happen except the thief bought car paint and they had a shipping addresse to his home. It was someone they knew who worked in a restrurant they frequented.

Yes it will pose problems for a few but could save many the hassel of correcting a bogus charge on the credit card.

Sorry, but I think it's the way around; many will face problems because some cards are stolen.

Credit cards are used in millions of transactions, also in Thailand, and YES, cards do get stolen but I think more cards are not stolen versus stolen ones.

And, a stolen card is NOT Bangkok Airways' problem; its the Credit Card Company's problem and they almost always pay back.

There must be another reason.

LaoPo

Well I am in Bangkok Airways lounge now and for the third time in ten days I didn't have to show my credit card at check in.

I think you missed the OP's point of Bangkok Airways since the measure starts today -16th- and the girls/boys at the check-in counter aren't probably even aware (and awake at this hour since they probably just left the clubs in town... :) ) of the new step by BKK Airways, which...wouldn't surprise me :D

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

This copy/paste from their website.

"The Restrictions of Credit Card Payment

For the payment with Visa Card (Non Verified by Visa), Master Card (Non Secure Code), JCB (Non JSecure) and American Express, Cardholder must be one of the travellers on the itinerary, and required to provide the credit card used for online payment and valid identification (passport or identification card) at the check-in counter prior to receive boarding passes."

It's for online payments only. You can still buy a ticket for someone else using credit card at their shops.

Just to add, from Thai Air website:-

Passengers who have used their own credit card or Visa/MasterCard debit card for purchase of the ticket must also present their payment card together with their personal identification (photo ID or passport) during check-in. Please note that the name and number on the payment card must be spelled exactly identical to the name on the identification card or passport. <LI>If the traveling passenger is not the credit card or Visa/MasterCard debit card owner, he/she must present their new electronic ticket or itinerary receipt (for details, see Regulations), together with their personal identification (photo ID or passport) during check-in.

I believe almost all US airlines require this for online purchase, guess Thailand is starting too. The one time I booked for one of my employees and ran into this problem so i used a travel agent and this was no problem actually saved a few dollars. anyway I asked the airline why and they said it was due to too many stolen credit cards being used to buy plane tickets. Makes sense.

Example: a Thai father, up north in Thailand phones with his daughter in Samui and explains she has to come home because her mother fell ill.

She's out of cash and has no CC.

He pays online for her ticket and she goes to the airport on Samui....

and....now what ? :)

LaoPo If the family is Thai then they more than likely would be using an ATM transfer like every other Thai in the Kingdom. Takes seconds to transfer cash around the country.

HL :D

This identification procedure and policy has almost every carrier around the globe. If you are having trouble being present or purchase tickets for someone else, you simply have to get your ticket ticketed at their sales office or any travel agent. Here you can use your credit card too and don’t have to be present at check-in. These steps are done to prevent credit card fraud further.

Just a curious thought.

What would happen in the case of an unaccompanied minor on a flight?

It used to be that they child would be delivered to the airport and handed over to the airline staff and they would take care of the child throughout the flight and any changes of airlines etc.

Not that many children have enough money and/or their own credit card to pay for a flight.

This identification procedure and policy has almost every carrier around the globe. If you are having trouble being present or purchase tickets for someone else, you simply have to get your ticket ticketed at their sales office or any travel agent. Here you can use your credit card too and don’t have to be present at check-in. These steps are done to prevent credit card fraud further.

Maybe you're talking from a location where you can find travel agents around the corner?

In my past traveling years, and that were many, we used travel agents and used the phone to book a ticket and pick it up later or it was sent to you.

Nowadays we live in an era where people use computers and credit cards to book online, whether for yourself, a family member or friend, whatever.

We're not going back to the stone ages again, are we?

And, that's exactly what BKK Airways is doing.

I suppose we have to give credit cards to our children, the day they're born.

Problem is the signature.

LaoPo

Disposable prepaid credit card numbers??????????????

What the hel_l are they?????????

Hl :D

Maybe the previous poster, halfhead, meant a prepaid credit-account with PayPal ? :)

Just guessing.

LaoPo

Hl :D

Maybe the previous poster, halfhead, meant a prepaid credit-account with PayPal ? :unsure:

Just guessing.

LaoPo

My guess is that he is referring to one of those accounts (I use Cahoot) where you get an individual creditcard number per transaction and so it cannot be copied, cloned, stolen or similarly abused. The problem is that I never have a physical plastic card with that once-off number on it - hence nothing to produce at the airport.

To the OP.

The Bangkok Airways new ruling applies to ONLINE purchases from THEIR website only. If you buy a ticket for a Bangkok Airways flight via any other method using cash or credit card, you can still purchase for a third-party. You can only but a ticket ONLINE from Bangkok Airways if YOU are the named traveler (or one of the named travelers in a group) AND that name matches your regular photo ID.

This invention of hard-up Thai families being unable to attend family funerals is all a bit absurd and as pointed out in post #17, funds can be 'wired' instantaneously for a cash payment.

Post #15 omitted to add that Thai Airways WILL allow third-party travel with an online credit card purchase via the Thai Airways website if the person making the purchase (named on the credit card being billed) downloads, completes and submits a form that will allow the named traveler to check in without having the billed credit card to be physically present.

What is so difficult about all this?

Edited by NanLaew

To the OP.

The Bangkok Airways new ruling applies to ONLINE purchases from THEIR website only. If you buy a ticket for a Bangkok Airways flight via any other method using cash or credit card, you can still purchase for a third-party. You can only but a ticket ONLINE from Bangkok Airways if YOU are the named traveler (or one of the named travelers in a group) AND that name matches your regular photo ID.

This invention of hard-up Thai families being unable to attend family funerals is all a bit absurd and as pointed out in post #17, funds can be 'wired' instantaneously for a cash payment.

Post #15 omitted to add that Thai Airways WILL allow third-party travel with an online credit card purchase via the Thai Airways website if the person making the purchase (named on the credit card being billed) downloads, completes and submits a form that will allow the named traveler to check in without having the billed credit card to be physically present.

What is so difficult about all this?

:) ..not difficult, just odd.

I'm not sure what Thai Airways suddenly has to do with this but maybe you made a writing error and meant Bangkok Airways?

But, that aside.

I don't read the message from BKK Airways the way you explain it in the beginning of your message, saying that it's only for online purchases WITH Bangkok Airways themselves.

They don't even mention the word online in the OP message... :D

But, your last sentence is more clear and that's what people normally do anyway as one can't even check-in WITHOUT a printed e-ticket nowadays, but I haven't been flying with them for quite some time so you probably know better than me.

LaoPo

Hl :)

For my Citibank card I used to have a random number generator that would give me a different CC number for each online transaction that could be used only once. This protects you in case someone steals your number.

Back in Oct 2008 when I moved from Thailand - the first time - I was asked at check-in for my credit card and I didn't have it. They said, no problem, just buy another one and cancel the first when I get home. **** that. I got them to let me use their computer at customer service to go online and show them. They had me print the page and sign it.

I've used Bangkok Airways maybe 15-20 times and been asked for my card 2-3 times. I'm not sure why they only check sometime.

What annoys me about bkk air is several times i've been asked for the credit card for booking over the last 2 years but never before, last year my credit card expired between booking and taking the flight but try to explain this to check in staff! to be fair they were very polite and asked me to go to the counter and rebook for the same flight which was annoying but hey what can you do. However it took 4 months for the rebate on the initial ticket and several emails. I can understand security when booking other people but when the ticket is in my name same as my passport they are taking the mickey and do not do themselves any favours.

Maybe you're talking from a location where you can find travel agents around the corner?

In my past traveling years, and that were many, we used travel agents and used the phone to book a ticket and pick it up later or it was sent to you.

Nowadays we live in an era where people use computers and credit cards to book online, whether for yourself, a family member or friend, whatever.

We're not going back to the stone ages again, are we?

And, that's exactly what BKK Airways is doing.

I suppose we have to give credit cards to our children, the day they're born.

Problem is the signature.

LaoPo

LaoPo, I always like your posts to I hate to disagree with you here.

However there are still many many travel agents around and most times I still use them as most of the time I can get a better price through the travel agent than online. Not always, but most of the time. Of course if depends on the travel agent if they have high sales they get good discounts. I use the India guy on Patpong great business class prices. I have one in the USA too. Granted I only get a better price on international flights.