Racism In Thailand

Loz

I am the only "FARANG" living in my village, that along with my size 6'2", 250 lbs, make me stand out at the village market, one thing I alway hear is the word farang, much as all on this forum refer to locals as, They or Thais. I know the sensitivity of western (US) people to other languages spoken around them, as they have to be taking about me.

I have seen the way Westerners behave in their drunken state in Pattaya and Bangkok. demanding their rights in a country that is not theirs.

I have read the most Racist and Bigoted remarks about Thais on this forum, that seems to be the home where the real Bigots in Thailand reside.

I have been overcharged by a Western company that charged me double the price for an item my daughter (who is Thai) purchased, and the price of a certain low priced item as advertised, was quoted to her at 3 times higher than the advertised price, even when my daughter had their price list with the items marked on it as the items I wanted.

I called the owner and complained to him, He laugh and said it was an honest mistake as they sold the items in kilos before, and half kilos now and his staff must have forgotten to re-price the item. "He made no mention of giving back the extra money or ,the extra half kilo that I was scammed out of", He also said that the cheese price was a action by a new employee and he would make sure it never happened again. Needless to say I do not purchase from there any more.

He was not just a western company, but an advertiser on this forum!

You only feel you are the victim of racism because you think it is directed at you and you do not get the proper respect you expect by those, you (perceived) to be less important than you!

Cheers: :)

We have all experienced double pricing and been called Falang. My question is: Is a greater good served by doing so. Or is it merely a way for government and big business to use foreigners as a welfare token instead of taking a broader action from within. If the government serves the Thai/Chinese minority interest, does it not make sense to use somebody other than themselves to balance the books to their own financial benefit disguised as welfare to the less fortunate ethnic Thais? IMHO The idea of double pricing is propaganda perpetrated by those in charge to suggest that they in fact understand the plight of the poor ethnic Thai and are doing what they can to make it better. The ethnic Thai looks up at the price chart and noticed he is only paying half of what the Foreigner is chareged. He thinks to himself that he doesn't have it so bad. It could be worse, he could be a falang. The best part is, the extra money is going into the pocket of the already have, not the have nots.

A Thai/Chinese business charges Foreigners more than it does Ethnic Thais. Why???? To create an illusion and line their own pockets while doing so?? I don't know the answer but I don't think the ethnic Thai is the target benefactor in this arrangement. You are not being screwed, you are being used to perpetuate an illusion.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm told daily I'm fat and have gained weight (even when I've lost), so I have no problems telling them in return that their skin is so black that they like like a negro (a term they use and understand) and they too have gained weight. That will usually end the conversation.

I throw it right back to them. If they say something negative, I give it back plus a little. If it's endearing or cute, I give that back as well.

I'm told daily I'm fat and have gained weight (even when I've lost), so I have no problems telling them in return that their skin is so black that they like like a negro (a term they use and understand) and they too have gained weight. That will usually end the conversation.

I throw it right back to them. If they say something negative, I give it back plus a little. If it's endearing or cute, I give that back as well.

The difference is, you could lose the weight if you wanted to.

back to the OP the Thais are so anti black skin they just sent millions to all those black people in Haiti even though they are poor themselves. racism is in the eye of the beholder. britain has stictist racism laws in the world, we cannot even fly our countries flag in case it offends, army camp in Hounslow cannot fly union jack in case it offends muslims. whats the result the most racist country in the world, right wing parties getting stronger and stronger. they so anti black they gave you a job.

Oppressing 50,000,000 people and stealing their self determination has been done many times throughout history and is nothing exceptional. Doing it while making them believe they are getting a good deal is to be applauded as brilliant.

I have been asked by some of my 'white' friends, about how I handle the Thai attitude to people of color, I have always answered that I have not had any experience of that nature.

I have mostly lived in gated communities in bangkok with 99% Thai neighbours, I have always been an independent minded fellow. My work makes me interact with so many Thai families, mostly Chinese, and sometimes when I am in their house, they even introduce to their toddlers as daddy's friend, and I walk in and out the houses at any time or any hour the day.Even the guard dogs know not to bark.

I once wanted to finance/buy an european model car, the finance rep came to my office about three times, I asked him why he keeps coming around, he said the company is worried that I have 2 other cars and thinking about if I ll keep this new one for long, I told him, I ll sell the Nissan when I take the delivery of the new one. After a week, I ask what should I do to convince them to finance this car,reply was pay 40% down, I politely asked him if they will have the dealer prep the car the next 2 days, i ll actually like to pay 50% down payment. Deal sealed, Me, I think that they were doing their job.

I am always where I am supposed to be seen or heard, hardly I encounter disrespect, may be my character and disposition, or my size and expressionless countenance.

The rich locals would discrimate against anyone less cultured, lousy, stupid or loud. The poor locals would just be jealous and behave as such to irritate you if they know or see you as less likely to do anything about it.

Thais dont rush to judge you till you say or do something. I was with my cousellor the other at the cop shop, the officer walked in and started talking to me then stopped, and asked, you the guy from the embassy, lol. The diplomat was not impressed.

Even when I go places with other races, they usually get me to lead and speak for them and I still can walk into Spasso with 5 people, no tickets, no questions asked.

Not to run from the truth, many black people dont endear themselves to the locals with their actions and attitudes, not to say that the local would welcome such from Thais, farangs or keaks or whoever.

thai guys from bangkok would not date isaan girls... they joke "leave the isaan girls

for the falangs"... must be some reason - i dont know, maybe you do?

What rubbish.

nasajsc is mosly correct. They date and do stuff, but usually nothing serious comes of it. Not to say that there are no Bangkok/isaan marriages.

An Isaan girl that was born and bred in Bangkok would not be considered an Isaan that much, if she got as much education as her 2nd or 3rd generation Bangkok peers.

A native of Siam square Bangkok would hardly make a good match for a girl that got of the bus at Mochit last songkran. 

It aint racism its elitism.

Ask yourself why the mother of a certain sportsman would say she is from Bangkok and not Korat.

Is that the same type of elitism that encourages Farangs on Forums to deny they met their wife in a bar and that she is Thai Chinese from Bangkok instead of just a poor girl from Isaan ?

It probably is, suffering from the same delusions of grandeur or an inferiority complex.

The same farangs who reinvent themselves on arrival in Bkk just as some Thais do.

How many farangs do we have working here with qualifications of dubious origin?

The same farangs who now pose as teachers, property developers, estate agents, financial consultants etc etc.

Heck we even have some who claim to live here, when the reality is they are nothing less than blow ins, washing up on these shores for a couple of weeks at at time every few months.

I am the only "FARANG" living in my village, that along with my size 6'2", 250 lbs, make me stand out at the village market, one thing I alway hear is the word farang, much as all on this forum refer to locals as, They or Thais. I know the sensitivity of western (US) people to other languages spoken around them, as they have to be taking about me.

I have seen the way Westerners behave in their drunken state in Pattaya and Bangkok. demanding their rights in a country that is not theirs.

I have read the most Racist and Bigoted remarks about Thais on this forum, that seems to be the home where the real Bigots in Thailand reside.

I have been overcharged by a Western company that charged me double the price for an item my daughter (who is Thai) purchased, and the price of a certain low priced item as advertised, was quoted to her at 3 times higher than the advertised price, even when my daughter had their price list with the items marked on it as the items I wanted.

I called the owner and complained to him, He laugh and said it was an honest mistake as they sold the items in kilos before, and half kilos now and his staff must have forgotten to re-price the item. "He made no mention of giving back the extra money or ,the extra half kilo that I was scammed out of", He also said that the cheese price was a action by a new employee and he would make sure it never happened again. Needless to say I do not purchase from there any more.

You only feel you are the victim of racism because you think it is directed at you and you do not get the proper respect you expect by those, you (perceived) to be less important than you!

We have all experienced double pricing and been called Falang. My question is: Is a greater good served by doing so. Or is it merely a way for government and big business to use foreigners as a welfare token instead of taking a broader action from within. If the government serves the Thai/Chinese minority interest, does it not make sense to use somebody other than themselves to balance the books to their own financial benefit disguised as welfare to the less fortunate ethnic Thais? IMHO The idea of double pricing is propaganda perpetrated by those in charge to suggest that they in fact understand the plight of the poor ethnic Thai and are doing what they can to make it better. The ethnic Thai looks up at the price chart and noticed he is only paying half of what the Foreigner is charged. He thinks to himself that he doesn't have it so bad. It could be worse, he could be a falang. The best part is, the extra money is going into the pocket of the already have, not the have nots.

A Thai/Chinese business charges Foreigners more than it does Ethnic Thais. Why???? To create an illusion and line their own pockets while doing so?? I don't know the answer but I don't think the ethnic Thai is the target benefactor in this arrangement. You are not being screwed, you are being used to perpetuate an illusion.

I was not referring to the Government,or the Thai/Chinese, I was doubled priced by a Anglo farang business man.

All the scams are not the action of They (Thais) against farangs. I was the victim of a farang scam.

In no way did I refer to Thai and/or Thai Chinese, as the perpetrators of the scam.

Cheers: :D

We have all experienced double pricing and been called Falang. My question is: Is a greater good served by doing so. Or is it merely a way for government and big business to use foreigners as a welfare token instead of taking a broader action from within. If the government serves the Thai/Chinese minority interest, does it not make sense to use somebody other than themselves to balance the books to their own financial benefit disguised as welfare to the less fortunate ethnic Thais? IMHO The idea of double pricing is propaganda perpetrated by those in charge to suggest that they in fact understand the plight of the poor ethnic Thai and are doing what they can to make it better. The ethnic Thai looks up at the price chart and noticed he is only paying half of what the Foreigner is charged. He thinks to himself that he doesn't have it so bad. It could be worse, he could be a falang. The best part is, the extra money is going into the pocket of the already have, not the have nots.

I was not referring to the Government,or the Thai/Chinese, I was doubled priced by a Anglo farang business man.

All the scams are not the action of They (Thais) against farangs. I was the victim of a farang scam.

In no way did I refer to Thai and/or Thai Chinese, as the perpetrators of the scam.

I really wasn't suggesting you were. I am interested in why they are institutionally tolerated and in many cases, encouraged here. There are thousands of different examples that seem to be accepted as business as usual. Perhaps there is a larger reason than the isolated examples suggest. How do they become the norm when anybody can see they are at least bad manners?

An "Anglo farang" What is that? :D

An Anglo farang would be a caucasian from an English speaking country in Thailand. I understand Kikoman is a Mexican American so he may not be an Anglo farang unless he self identifies that way. Obviously Thais would generally not understand the term Anglo farang, but we can. Another example, a white Russian would not be an Anglo farang.

Edited by Jingthing

Many years ago there was a brand of toothpaste called Darkie. The logo on the box was a black man with white teeth. The toothpaste is still for sale in Thailand but it is no longer called "Darkie". Same box and logo, different name.

It's now called "Darlie"

On a similar note in the UK we used to have "The Black & White Minstrel Show" and "Robinson Jam Golliwog badges" and both are now gone. So the Thais can be as sensitive to political correctness (racism) as anybody else.

Interesting name you have there, "KKK." Since it would appear that you are from the UK, and not the USA, would you mind saying what the 3 Ks stand for? Just curious.

Thanks

It's quite clear kikkoman has fallen in love with a "pad thai" :)

Because I am Happy here, I live in a rice farming village and choose to interact with my Thai friends and neighbors and express my love for Thailand and its people. I am not one of the haters, that live here for ages and only complain about the choice THEY made for a country to live in. Nothing is holding them here

they have the freedom to leave ,as one would say vote with their feet.

Was I wrong in expecting some kind of an intelligent answer ?

There is an old Saying: "It is best to be thought a fool, than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt"!

Because I am Happy here, I live in a rice farming village and choose to interact with my Thai friends and neighbors and express my love for Thailand and its people. I am not one of the haters, that live here for ages and only complain about the choice THEY made for a country to live in. Nothing is holding them here

There is an old Saying: "It is best to be thought a fool, than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt"!

Of course you deserve an intelligent answer, but as you only joined TV last year most posters probably assume that's when you arrived here, so take your comments in that context.

When did you start living in Thailand?

I am not one of the haters, that live here for ages and only complain about the choice THEY made for a country to live in. Nothing is holding them here

It would be more charming if you just mentioned your positive feelings about Thailand without launching yet another complaining expat go home tirade. Also, maybe you don't see this in yourself, but there you go you say you are not a hater, and then you start a negative rant filled with generalizations about people.

Edited by Jingthing

thai guys from bangkok would not date isaan girls... they joke "leave the isaan girls

What rubbish.

nasajsc is mosly correct.

Not to say that there are no Bangkok/isaan marriages.

You contradict yourself wonderfully.

And at the same time show a total ignorance of how things actually are.

Priceless. :)

I dunno, I've only been living here since 1990, full time.

I have to bow down to the knowledgable members of this forum to tell me what I witness isn't actually happening, all I see and what I have experienced amongst my own family members is just an illusion.

Thankyou for putting me straight about life in Thailand, I'm forever in your debt. :D

Of course you deserve an intelligent answer, but as you only joined TV last year most posters probably assume that's when you arrived here, so take your comments in that context.

When did you start living in Thailand?

I am going on my 10th consecutive years in Thailand If you look at when I joined TV, its says 4 years in central Thailand.

Why should someone comment be on what they assume, and not the contents of my post.

It really is just spiteful ignorance, as a child my wife because of her skin being darker than other kids, was called (translated) black duck liver!

She told me about other kids being verbally abused, if they had thick hair they were called dog hair if they were fat ........etc etc.

I asked if it came to the notice of the parents would they correct their children? Nope they would have picked it up from the parents!

Basically ignorant classless people.

I am not one of the haters, that live here for ages and only complain about the choice THEY made for a country to live in. Nothing is holding them here

It would be more charming if you just mentioned your positive feelings about Thailand without launching yet another complaining expat go home tirade. Also, maybe you don't see this in yourself, but there you go you say you are not a hater, and then you start a negative rant filled with generalizations about people.

I do see his point though JT.

There is nothing holding many of us here, and I doubt many are being held in Thailand against their will.

Then again, look at forums for the Philipines, Japan, Korea, Singapore, they're all the same too, full of complaints by expats that choose to be in those places.... :D

In fact I can see what your point is too, cos looking at a certain Forum today that is frequented by members of the security forces of the UK, Nobody there has anything to say that is good about the UK.

:)

Edited by Maigo6

I do see his point though JT.

There is nothing holding many of us here, and I doubt many are being held in Thailand against their will.

Then again, look at forums for the Philipines, Japan, Korea, Singapore, they're all the same too, full of complaints by expats that choose to be in those places.... :D

In fact I can really see what your point is, cos looking at a certain Forum today that is frequented by members of the security forces of the UK, Nobody there has anything to say that is good about the UK.

:)

Thank you!

Cheers:

Edited by kikoman

What rubbish.

Bangkok hi-so guys and girls are completely incompatible with lo-so's from isaan.

How many bkk hi-so's do you know that believe in flying ghosts or eat jumping insects?

There is so much focus on image in bkk, nose jobs, the latest fashion, how is an isaan girl

with 2 kids, 4 buffalos, 20 chickens, thirty uncles, aunties, cousins, etc to support going

to fit in?

The reason isaan girls go for western guys, is because most western guys like sia dumm

(dark skin), or just got off the plane and are dumbfounded by being surrounded by 20 girls

all wanting them (in nana where else). They know thai guys wont date them.

Come on man, ask around some young thai guys in bkk, how many isaan girls they have

dated or would marry.... almost none, they leave them for foreigners...

the truth is out there.

Edited by nasajsc

the truth is out there.

Yes the truth is out there, so get out of your room, seek, and ye shall find.

I do have an incling of what you are trying to say, but to make a generalisation about millions of people is absolutely ridiculous, you know it, I know it, and so do the Hi So Thai guys that date Isaan women know it !

So, you know every guy in Bangkok ?

You know every girl in Bangkok ?

You have surveyed 1000's of individuals regarding this matter ?

C'mon mate, get over your own predujice and live and let live.

How much did Noi from Nakon Nowhere take you for ? :):D

I wouldn't class attitudes among central and Bangkok Thais towards people from Isaan as being racist - but denying there are not deep rooted negative images of people from Isaan is either ignorance of 'the truth that is out there' or denial of these widely held and widely expressed attitudes.

I see no reason to inflame this thread with examples, but they are common enough in daily Thai discussions and in the depictions of people from Isaan in the Thai Media.

I agree with Maigo6, get out of your room and discover the truth is out there. If you don't speak Thai then I would urge you to learn the language to give you your own direct access to what Thais are saying about their lives, about others.

Racism, the cares and worries of life, the joys of life, attitudes to inter-race marriages, political discussions, safety concerns in the neighborhood.

There's a whole lot of information directly available from Thais that contradicts the black and white view from a bar stool too common on TV.

The consistently negative refusing to hear and good about Thailand and Thai people and the consistently positive posters refusing to hear any ill of Thailand and the Thai people miss the purely reasonable point that no country and its people can be all bad or all good while at the same time displaying their own ignorance of the 'truth that is out there' or perhaps their own denial of that truth.

The only distinguishing factor between the two camps is the belief on the part of the Saffron Tinted Spectacle Brigade that it is their right, duty, mission to police the thoughts and words of other foreigners.

I all other respects these two groups are indistinguishably out of touch with 'The Truth That is Out There".

I'd say there is a fair amount of racism here. Anyone remember the 'Darlie' (brown toothpaste) ad?

A child has a balloon but loses hold of it. A black man manages to rescue the balloon and hands it to her. At that point the child's mum rushes over with a terrified look on her face and pulls the child away. The black guy looks very sad and goes and lies down on a bed that is actually a giant toothbrush.

The closing slogan is "Darlie, black but good!'.

Pretty racist in my book.

Actually it was the Double Lotus brand, herbal toothpaste. The point was that the color of the herbal toothpaste is reddish-brown and different from the rest, but it's supposed to be "good for you". Therefore, the ads tries to say, "Do not judge the book by the cover" sort of thing. Well, as a Thai, this is what I perceive to be the message.

FYI, the Darlie toothpaste used to be called "Darkie" with a black-face minstrel logo many many years ago, but was changed after an American company bought it. Difficult to explain to the shareholders, I suppose. I would think how Darkie toothpaste was promoted was much more racist.

What rubbish.

Bangkok hi-so guys and girls are completely incompatible with lo-so's from isaan.

How many bkk hi-so's do you know that believe in flying ghosts or eat jumping insects?

There is so much focus on image in bkk, nose jobs, the latest fashion, how is an isaan girl

with 2 kids, 4 buffalos, 20 chickens, thirty uncles, aunties, cousins, etc to support going

to fit in?

The reason isaan girls go for western guys, is because most western guys like sia dumm

(dark skin), or just got off the plane and are dumbfounded by being surrounded by 20 girls

all wanting them (in nana where else). They know thai guys wont date them.

Come on man, ask around some young thai guys in bkk, how many isaan girls they have

dated or would marry.... almost none, they leave them for foreigners...

the truth is out there.

Its pretty hard trying to get a seat in a gogo bar these days.

The seats are usually occupied by hiso Thai Chinese searching for their life partner in Soi Cowboy or the Nana Plaza.