Can You Do The Squat?

Tokay

I think it`s called the Asian squat.

See it a lot in India and South East Asia.

Tried it a few of times, but after a couple of minutes my body cramps up.

Another trick is when the Thai ladies bend their fingers back during a traditional Thai dancing session. I’ve tried, but no way, Hosaee.

I can do the Thai squat for about 14 seconds, and then I have to roll over on my side and try to straighten up. :):D

That is not entirely true, because I've had to learn to shit in the woods when on fishing or hunting trips, but I can't do it for the length of time an Asian can. That is one thing that always astounded me... even with the older folks who might even have arthritis. They can take that position for hours. No wonder they have no trouble with squat toilets.

:)

I have wondered if this position was do able by europeans. I am slim, strong legs from playing football etc but can't get down like that. What is it about our limbs that make it so difficult as I have never seen a thai person not be able to do it.

:)

I have wondered if this position was do able by europeans. I am slim, strong legs from playing football etc but can't get down like that. What is it about our limbs that make it so difficult as I have never seen a thai person not be able to do it.

They learn it in school at a young age

I'm struggling to understand why one would want to?

no chairs around and the floor is dirty?

I can do it for maybe 15 minutes, not more, get pins and needles...

I find it very comfortable - I could do it for hours and have done. Maybe due to the many hours I spent learning to sit in the lotus position.

Squatting is usually not too difficult if you are not overweight, but is everyone here who claims to be able to do what the OP asked really telling the truth?

The 'Asian' squat keeps the soles of the feet flat on the ground. Non-Asians, (including myself), squat with my heels raised off the floor. If I force my foot flat on the floor, then I fall over backwards because my center of gravity doesn't allow this.

Simon

PS - Somewhere I have a great photo of 6 village kids squatting/balancing on the top of a fence, just like chickens!!

Edited by simon43