Can You Do The Squat?

Tokay

but is everyone here who claims to be able to do what the OP asked really telling the truth?

Exactly...

I can squat on the balls of my feet, but definately not the whole sole...

I am only 68kg, and 18 of that is my meat seaking pissile... :) ...

What amazes me is that it does seem completely genetic... I have a Chinese friend who was adopted at birth... lived in coutry Australia her whole child life... never met another Chinese until she came to Sydney to uni... speaks like a true Aussie (unfortunately)... she can squat both soles flat on the ground indefinately... nice tits too :D ...

Daewoo

I used to be able to do it. Very comfortable, actually, much more than the western style with heels raised off the floor.

But with age and extra weight, my knees and balance won't permit it anymore. Sigh.

:)

I have wondered if this position was do able by europeans. I am slim, strong legs from playing football etc but can't get down like that. What is it about our limbs that make it so difficult as I have never seen a thai person not be able to do it.

Westerners' Achilles Tendons are not as long as Asians', enabling the latter to squat with their heels flat on the floor. For Asians, it's a combination of genetics and stretching that tendon from early childhood. You'll also notice that its much easier for Asians to shift gears on a motorbike where the gear is a rocker pedal at foot level. It's quite difficult for Westerners to do this, and many have to use the "toe" method for both gearing up and down. Asians have no trouble gearing down with a deft movement of their heel, something that takes quite a bit more effort from a Westerner.

Edited by toptuan

My wife's 4'10" and at the time she had our daughter, she weighed (pre-pregnant) about 85 pounds. Her doctor asked if she squatted frequently, and upon replying that she did, the doctor proclaimed: "You'll have your baby naturally without difficulty." And that she did, our daughter literally popped out.

My wife's 4'10" and at the time she had our daughter, she weighed (pre-pregnant) about 85 pounds. Her doctor asked if she squatted frequently, and upon replying that she did, the doctor proclaimed: "You'll have your baby naturally without difficulty." And that she did, our daughter literally popped out.

Charming

Donno why you guys brag about low-so behavior I guess its cool to pic your nose while you do it?

:)

I have wondered if this position was do able by europeans. I am slim, strong legs from playing football etc but can't get down like that. What is it about our limbs that make it so difficult as I have never seen a thai person not be able to do it.

Westerners' Achilles Tendons are not as long as Asians', enabling the latter to squat with their heels flat on the floor. For Asians, it's a combination of genetics and stretching that tendon from early childhood. You'll also notice that its much easier for Asians to shift gears on a motorbike where the gear is a rocker pedal at foot level. It's quite difficult for Westerners to do this, and many have to use the "toe" method for both gearing up and down. Asians have no trouble gearing down with a deft movement of their heel, something that takes quite a bit more effort from a Westerner.

I'm not so sure it has anything to do with Achilles Tendon length, but more so with method. If you keep feet less than shoulder width apart (feet flat), then your CG is going to be towards the rear. If you place your feet so that your heels are at least shoulder width apart, then squatting in this manner is much easier, your CG moves forward and you are less likely to fall backwards. You can easily rest your elbows on you knees and this also helps. Similar to a "sumo squat".

Anyways, it works for me! But then again I also used to play catcher (American baseball) when I was a kid. This could be the "stretching that tendon from early childhood" as you mentioned, but I kinda doubt it since it's been (at least) 25 years already since I have regularly done that.

Charming

Donno why you guys brag about low-so behavior I guess its cool to pic your nose while you do it?

What is lo-so behaviour: Squatting or giving birth?

Sorry for the crazy question - when you are wearing knee length shorts and have

to take an emergency crap at the petrol station, how do you stop the shorts touching

all over the wet floor?

Also, the porcelain squatters are usually very wet, and slippery, did anyone slip slop and

slap into the hole?

The 'Asian' squat keeps the soles of the feet flat on the ground. Non-Asians, (including myself), squat with my heels raised off the floor. If I force my foot flat on the floor, then I fall over backwards because my center of gravity doesn't allow this.

Just shift your center of gravity a bit (move upper torso towards knees). Personally, squatting with my heels raised off the floor I can't do for more than a couple seconds and need to constantly work on keeping balance. Proper style (a.k.a. Asian Style) is much more stable, and much more comfortable.

Squatting is usually not too difficult if you are not overweight, but is everyone here who claims to be able to do what the OP asked really telling the truth?

The 'Asian' squat keeps the soles of the feet flat on the ground. Non-Asians, (including myself), squat with my heels raised off the floor. If I force my foot flat on the floor, then I fall over backwards because my center of gravity doesn't allow this.

Simon

PS - Somewhere I have a great photo of 6 village kids squatting/balancing on the top of a fence, just like chickens!!

Yep, I'm telling the truth. :)

The problem you describe has always been a source of amusement for me as only about 10% of Westerners seem to be able to do it. (Subjective observation)

Sorry for the crazy question - when you are wearing knee length shorts and have

to take an emergency crap at the petrol station, how do you stop the shorts touching

all over the wet floor?

Also, the porcelain squatters are usually very wet, and slippery, did anyone slip slop and

slap into the hole?

If wearing knee length shorts i just pull them up above the knees and hold onto them whilst i start to bend down into the squat position, and hold onto them again as i start to stand up so that they don't drop to the floor and get wet :)

Maybe someone should post a demo on YouTube hahaha :D

I took up Ashtanga Yoga a couple of years ago and quickly realised about half of the western population are unable to squat. Mostly men.

Mmm, interesting. Must be differences in the genes, although i am a western man and able to squat. Maybe it's because i excercise regularly (running, football, cycling, golf) :)