What's Your Favourite Thai Food?

george

I am a coock and own a Italain restaurant here in Belgium..... july I go again to Thailand for 5 weeks , nothing else dan eating everywhere tru the wohle country , and I never had a bad food ;-)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

... Som Tam is alltime favorite (and yet to get the trots, either!) ...

Would have to agree,

I think there is something about eating spicy, (chilies ...) that helps

prevent diarrhea pathogens from taking hold, never had any issues in that department,

Staying with spicy and lots of it, :o

Just so others will know, Som Tam recipe follows:

Peel the papaya and rinse under running water. Remove the seeds and shred the flesh with a grater. Set aside. Place the garlic cloves and chillies in a mortar and mash with a pestle until crushed into pieces. Add the papaya and the remaining ingredients and gently combine all with the pestle and a spoon. Serve cold.

1 medium dark green papaya

4 garlic cloves

6 green Thai chillies (phrik khi nu)

2 tomatoes, cut into wedges

1.2 cups green beans, chopped into 1/2 in (2.5 cm) pieces

2 tablespoons anchovy sauce

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup (2 fl oz / 60 ml) lime juice or tamarind juice

Hey, where's the palm sugar? And ground peanuts and dried shrimps?? Those are my favorite parts! This recipe is quoted on many websites, but it's nothing like the Thai version, in my experience.

Here's something a bit closer, I think. From: http://asiarecipe.com/thaiveg.html

Thai Green Papaya Salad

(Som Tam)

2-1/2 cups shredded green papaya or unripened mango

2-4 Thai chillies, or to tast

2 large cloves garlic, skinned

2 tbsp of anchovy paste (plaa raa) (optional)

1 cup green or string beans, cut 1" pieces

6 cherry tomatoes, cut each in half

2 tsp ground peanuts (optional)

2 tbsp small dried shrimps

Cabbage and Iceberg lettuce leaves

Dressing

5 tbsp lime juice

3 tbsp fish sauce

3 tbsp of Palm Sugar

2 tbsp finely ground dried shrimps

Combine the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.

Directions:

Using a mortar and pestle, pound chilies and garlic to coarse texture. Add papaya, green beans, tomatoes and pound 1-2 minutes longer, mixing with a spoon while pounding. Add dried shrimps, peanuts, dressing and mix well. Serve immediately with cabbage and lettuce leaves. Goes well with Thai style BBQ chicken and steamed sticky rice.

Makes about 4-1/2 cups of salad, about 4 servings.

r_somtam.jpg

Edited by Ajarn

Ajarn's recipe is better than the first, but tamarind paste (มะขามเปียก - makhaam piak) is a nice addition as well.

My personal favourites:

Gaeng Khiaow Waan /Green Curry (pref. with chicken)

A *fresh* Yum Woon Sen Thaleh (glass noodle salad with lime juice and mixed, fresh seafood), eaten by the sea during sunset in the company of a beer

Muu Daed Diaow (sundried and fried pork strips) (as a snack with the beer)

Gaeng Som khai jiaow cha-om tawd (a sour/spicy type of curry with pieces of cha-om vegetable omelette)

Fusilli/spaghetti phad khii mao muu (or thaleh)

khaw muu yaang nam jim jaeow (barbecued pig's neck with jaeow dip sauce)

Phad Phrik Gaeng Gai (chicken fried in curry paste over rice) - goes really well with a Thai-style omelette on the side

Khaow Soi Gai or Muu

Mike's Hamburgers

great idea for a thread as I dabble a bit in the kitchen. :o

My favs are :

Pat Kreung Keng Gung - Pet Pet ( aka = Pat pick geng gung) (ate it nearly every day for the past 7 or 8 years - love it really hot!)

Tom Yum gung - nam con

moo pad kapow

moo yang and naam jim jao (grilled/fried pork and sauce)

som tam pla duk (papaya salad with cat fish)

khao nio

finished off with khow nio mamuang waan (sticky rice, mango and sweet sauce)

seems like there should be some polls in this area...

YAM THALEH with Tom yum kung playing a not-so-far-away second (when properly prepared). Spicy seafood salad , phet mak mak !

Spicy Seafood salad is a thing I DEARLY miss now that I'm back in the States. One consolation is that a new Thai restaurant opened up in town (Cincinnati) that is truly outstanding. I'm a STICKLER for authenticity and this place is darn good.

I dig somtam and lots of other dishes, too, but that Yam Thaleh.....ouie!!!

Now, if I could only get my hands on some Leo Beer..... heart still somewhat broken. Yeesh, I miss Thailand.

Oh yeah, what's the name of the Issan dish of pork coated in crushed chilies and served with lots of spearmint? Usually comes with sticky rice. Is that larb muu? That stuff is DOPE.

I listed Yam Thaleh as my favorite single dish and definitely stick by that but have to say that my favorite food by entire region is definitely ISSAN !!! I love absurdly spicy food.

By region, Issan is the hottest food I've ever eaten. Still, there's a barbeque joint in Norfolk, Virginia that serves up a very tasty "thermo-nuclear" hot sauce measuring in at 600,000 scovilles of capsicum (concentrated pepper units). There's hotter available but 600K shot heat through my arms and nearly blacked me out (I forgot where I was for about 20 seconds). Fun.

Issan rocks!

I eat sticky rice like candy bars. Som tom and gai yang at Jomtien beach. Have I mentioned I like tod men pla? :o Throw one in the air and I'll catch it like a pooch and his a frisbee. Chicken in chilli paste, the fresh green peppercorns on the stem and the little bullet makhuas are tasty. Oh, and baby clams in chilli paste, what is the licorice flavor?anis? And clear noodle salad w/ pla muek. Don't forget a side of pak pak boon paday. Gotta eat your greens.

what is the licorice flavor?anis?

Uranus. :o

No seriously, it's bai horapaa, a type of Thai basil (the same one that is used as garnish on Green Curry).

:D reminds me of the 'My wife can't cook." joke.

I love Yum naam.(spicy fermented Thai sausage)

Awsome.

Cut up the naam into slices or half these slice again and put to the side

Get a hand full of chillies and pound in a mortar and pestle

Add fish sauce, about 4-5 or 6 lime juice and sugar to taste

Put to the side. Not too salty or bitter.

Get one whole onion and cut it in half. Slice it to strips and put in bowl. Add baby tomatoes halved. Depends on how many you want or like

Add a handfull of peanuts or cashew

Chop up some corriander or parsley finely and add to bowl with the other ingredients

Get a green mango or even fresh if you want. Hit it with a big knife and scrape if strips and add to bowl about half a mango or more if you wish

Then add the sauce and mix. Then serve. Very tasty. The Thai sausage can be replaced by chicken pork or any other meat. Up to you.

Serves 2-3 people if you want more servings then just increase all ingredients. Really easy. Enjoy!

My favorites are...

Yam Neua - Kalapapluk is the best

Khao man gai - anybody knows any restaurant that serves good khao man gai other than the place near Pratunam intersection and "khao man gai mid night" in Rangsit?

Gai Yaang with good khao niaw and somtam - any recommendation other than Sara Jane?

How come suki is not popular among farangs? Hardly ever seen farangs dining at Coca or MK and if I spot them, they are usually ordering non-suki menu.

I like thai food too!!! I just walk on down to the sebben elebben where dey gots a machine that makes what looks like frankfurters and rolls dem around. Den dey puts dem in what looks like a steamed bun and...and, dey gots what looks like condiments!...pickle relish, mustard and even mayonaise sometimes. I gets me two ob dose and I OK...

(anything dat gots naam pla got hit wit de rotten pus*y stick...)

I like thai food too!!! I just walk on down to the sebben elebben where dey gots a machine that makes what looks like frankfurters and rolls dem around. Den dey puts dem in what looks like a steamed bun and...and, dey gots what looks like condiments!...pickle relish, mustard and even mayonaise sometimes. I gets me two ob dose and I OK...

(anything dat gots naam pla got hit wit de rotten pus*y stick...)

:o:D

there is nothing better than Krai kapoh kai topped with kai dow mmmm breakfast of champions I ate this as many days in a row that i could when I lived in The Mango now my sweet Thai wife ( that is an oximoron if there ever was) makes it for me here in Canada. She uses about 40 small Thai style chilis to about 150 grams of chicken and fries up the egg and serves with nom prik ya mon

A joke or is it real your favarite Shake ? Never seen such a spider in my life only thai spider. But I am animal's friend. Cant stand that joke. Sorry !!!!

I like animals also. Particularly pig, cow and chicken.

:o

Everything is allowed. Dog meat , Jingjog grilled, Malaeng Sarb Tord. Eat what you like. Animal is animal for human to eat. Poor animal, you are so lovely but let me eat you ! :D:D

Has to be green curry with an omelette stuffed with pork. Strange combination but it's always my first meal when I arrive back in Thailand.

Also mark me down for a yam nuea as well.

Edited by Jack Jones

A joke or is it real your favarite Shake ? Never seen such a spider in my life only thai spider. But I am animal's friend. Cant stand that joke. Sorry !!!!

I like animals also. Particularly pig, cow and chicken.

:o

Everything is allowed. Dog meat , Jingjog grilled, Malaeng Sarb Tord. Eat what you like. Animal is animal for human to eat. Poor animal, you are so lovely but let me eat you ! :D:D

If God had not meant us to eat animals - why did he make them out of meat?

:D

Patrick