Name 1, 5, Or 10 Of The Foods You Miss The Most From Home

Jingthing

Oh. My. God. JT, why did you do this? I haven't had lunch yet, and you're making me crave all these things that I can't have! :):D

Okay, first I'll point out other poster's suggestions that have twigged cravings I didn't know I had.

Lovelomsak's mention of Timmy-ho's, but personally I want a cruller from there; Nio and klfopera's Maine lobster, but I'll take Alaskan King Crab too (all you can eat from the Mandarin in Ontario); U.G's rootbeer float, but I want a Lick's Burger cherry Coke float; Yok's cracklin' bread, but I want the Cracker Barrel's Jalapeno cornbread (and their chicken fried steak with white gravy, sadly, only in the states); and JT's bagel & lox, I'd only add capers to the mix.

I'd add to that, a good Albertan grade A steak (there was a great place on the corner of Bloor and Albany in Toronto that had the best 35ounce -yes 35- steak I've ever had, but I see from streetview that they are gone now :D ).

Good Dim Sum, (instead of just sala pao), as done by the Cameron Chinese restaurant in Kitchener, or the Yangtze or Chu Shing in Ottawa.

A real Bloody Caesar! I was trying to explain Clamato to my girlfriend last night, much to her disgust. I'm so amazed that this never made it out of Canada!

Oh, I'm so hungry now. Time for lunch...

Edited by Meridian007

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man after me own heart.

I would say the delights of Middlesbrough a PARMO

1. welsh spring lamb from smithfield market london.

2. real cumberland pork sausages.

3. proper smoked back bacon.

2/3 included in a full works greasy spoon slap up breakfast, fried egg(runny yolk) sausage, bacon, beans, mushrooms, tomatoes, black pudding, chips, 2xtoast, and a mug of coffee. can i just check my order, im sure ive missed something out. oh bugger this, im going to have to go to the nearest 7/11 in a minute and get some kind of substitute. even the wife misses a good old fry up.

4.fullers beers on a friday night out with the lads in one of their pubs. followed by the great british past-time of an indian. both if possible, the food type followed by the female version. ah this is an unfair poll(jingthing) this is cruelty. popadoms, with not 3 dips but 4. lime pickle, minted youghurt, sweet red coconut and mango chutney. followed by garlic nans, pilau rice, king prawn chingri masala, lamb pasanda, gobi aloo, ladies fingers(okra) a couple of onion bajis, with a couple of bottles of bangla beer and to top it off an irish coffee.

im going to have to call my best mate up in sydney(australia) in a minute, and see if he fancies catching a flight back to the u.k. im sure hed be up for it.(sundurban restaurant) 1 in sudbury town and 1 in pinner if anyones interested. the best indian food in london, i swear by it. been going there for 25 odd years.

5. steak and kidney pies, sausage rolls, scotch eggs, rollmop herrings, anchovies, smoked salmon(real scottish smoked salmon) smoked makeral, french pate.

6. cheese! rouqfort, brie, camebert, gambazola, stilton, cheddar.

7. proper bread! french baguettes.

8. mussels in white wine and cream sauce.

9. mums roast beef and yorkshire puddings, cooked by a real yorkshire lass.

10. golden palace chinese restaurant for dim sum on saturday or sunday lunch time(have to be there at 11.30am sharp though, or you wont get a table).

11. real turkish shish kebabs, cooked over a charcoal fire. although the shawarmas that you get in bangkok are reasonable.

ill have to get back to with the rest, its 3am and ive got a touch of the munchies. ahh... those where the days, sitting around getting totally off our faces, watching fawlty towers and black adder. pissing ourselves with laughter, running off to the nearest off-licience to stock up on cider and chocolate hobb-nobs.

post-38390-1264498280_thumb.jpg

Pie mash and liquor at Menze's Tower Bridge Road, S.E. London, simply the best! lashings of vinegar and so cheap! A very old shop but frequented by the likes of Michael Caine and other London born celebrities. Gods own food grew up on it.

Cannot be copied many have tried all have failed!

Sarsaparilla to wash it all down?? :)

Pie mash and liquor at Menze's Tower Bridge Road, S.E. London, simply the best! lashings of vinegar and so cheap! A very old shop but frequented by the likes of Michael Caine and other London born celebrities. Gods own food grew up on it.

Cannot be copied many have tried all have failed!

Sarsaparilla to wash it all down?? :)

Now we are talking :D

• 1 month later...

I know I'm late with this. I just came across it looking for something else. I've only been here for 5 or 6 years, depending on how you interpret trips back to the Motherland. When I first got here, there were many things I missed, such as good dill pickles. I've since learned to make my own. A good tender steak, my wife buys loin from the village, I marinate it and it's as good as anything I could buy in the States. Pizza was a biggie, I hated every one I bought here. I learned to make pizza, and better than anything I've had before, but you have to experiment. I have a friend in Seattle who's German wife makes the best rouladin in the world. I worked for months trying to get the recipe from her. I've now made it twice and it's getting there. I guess my point is that rather than wishing we had something from our past, We should take the bull by the horns and make it happen. BTW all of my culinary experience comes from the internet, but I'm quite pleased with the results. There are a couple of things I can't replace. King crab, Alaskan, not the Russian version. moose, caribou, red salmon(sockeye), But I survive on prawns, somtam, and beer Chang. :)

Almost anything my mom makes, particularly her mindbending lasagna, very unique perogies, and sweet and sour ribs with caesar salad .

Also, it has been a decade since I have come across a decent monte cristo. maybe I'll have to figure out how to do it myself.

After many years of missing lots of things, I can get almost any food I crave in Chiang Mai and most of it is at least OK.

However, San Francisco has some of the world's best restaurants, so I do miss food of that that amazing quality.

Good pizza is the food that I probably miss the most, but there there are plenty of mediocre ones around here.

tonights menu in Chiang Mai:

- smoked salmon with lemon juice for starters.

- caviar/hard boiled egg, and spring onions, with warm buttered toast.

- rollmop herrings or vinegar marinated sweet kippers

followed by

- Welsh Rarebit, (cheese on toast!) worcestor sauce and heinz ketchup, splash of tabasco

- main course: take way Indian - Chicken Jalfrezzi, pilau rice and lime pickle.

desert

- spaghetti that is so covered in cheese that it fuses into one block on the plate. Sploshes of tabasco, maybe a smidge of Ketchup.

- forget - poached french artichoke with vinaigrette...

post-50139-1269269116_thumb.jpg

*sob* I'm so hungry!!

Edited by whiterussian

I got two motherlands: France and Germany.

I'm now living in Zurich, Switzerland, which is a rather small country that has a border with both France and Germany.

Believe or not, it is easier to find some of the French and German traditional dishes in Pattaya than it is in Zurich!

Norwegian goat cheese (sweet brown cheese)

Norwegian salmon

Lutefisk

Norwegian Waffles served with fresh strawberries and cream

top quality norwegian smoked salmon is available in Makro (599Baht/kilo)!

After many years of missing lots of things, I can get almost any food I crave in Chiang Mai and most of it is at least OK.

However, San Francisco has some of the world's best restaurants, so I do miss food of that that amazing quality.

Good pizza is the food that I probably miss the most, but there there are plenty of mediocre ones around here.

pizza is food? :)

Cullen Skink, White Pudding Supper, Scotch Pie while watching my team lose(yet again), any mouthwatering sweet item from a scottish bakery...irn bru to wash it down.

Lamb Nihari from the Nawab in Failsworth, any cheese from Neal's Yard, sausages from Borough Market, fillet steak Chadwicks in Balham the most tender I ever cooked....decent drinkable tap water.

I almost forgot saucermeat from the harbour cafe in Lerwick....not for the faint hearted!

Edited by smokie36

Norwegian salmon

Lutefisk

wow that's cheap!

Norwegian salmon

Lutefisk

wow that's cheap!

And tasty! :)

Norwegian salmon

Lutefisk

wow that's cheap!

And tasty! :)

but I must say I prefer Salmon from Scotland, which spent too much time in the smoking chamber makign it a bit dry and strong smoked taste. mmh.

but I must say I prefer Salmon from Scotland, which spent too much time in the smoking chamber makign it a bit dry and strong smoked taste. mmh.

My favourites are from the smokehouse on Uist or organic stuff from Shetland. Wild salmon is way too expensive nowadays.

1. Cornish Pasty

2. Saffron Cake

3. Cornish Cream Tea

4. Heva Cake

5. Pickled Onion Monster Munch

6. Salt and Vinegar Crisps

7. Hogs Pudding

8. Vintage Cheddar Cheese

9. Melton Mowbray Pork Pies

10. Sports Mixture (Sweets)