Visa Exemption Misunderstanding

A friend came to stay last year and as it was for 3 weeks he didn't worry about getting a visa and was granted a 30 day exemption.

However I took him to Burma for a few hours the day after he arrived and when he left Thailand to go home 3 weeks later was told he had overstayed.

This was because when he returned from Burma by way of a land crossing he received a new 15 day exemption that cancelled his 30 day granted on the first arrival.

He apologised and was allowed to leave without penalty.

Something to watch out for. :)

Just a pedantic/technical point...

This was because when he returned from Burma by way of a land crossing he received a new 15 day exemption that cancelled his 30 day granted on the first arrival.

It wasn't the new 15 day exemption that cancelled his 30 day stay, it was his leaving the country to go to Burma - once he'd left, the initial 30 day allowance was over.

But all was well, as you say.

Regards,

Alan

At many Land border crossings leaving Thailand , If you bring a Photo Copy of your Passport , and leave Your Passport with the Customs ( and 100 Baht ) , they can issue you a Temporary, 1 Day Pass, that can be used to cross and re-enter Thailand, without affecting your current Visa Status.. They will return you passport in exchange for the stamped Photocopy..

To play the game , read the rules first.. and CHECK the arrival stamp as well. :D .

I seldom give people the benefit of believing they are actually as stupid as they act. :)

good piece of info there from cmfarang - thank you very much for this info thats something i didnt know.

I once made a stupid mistake on a visa run and tried the three pagodas pass which doesnt stamp you out and in all they do is let you cross, so i then had to rush the other direction to poi ped and ended up overstayed. Moral;

never assume things, always check your facts first before attempting a visa run - always get the latest updates if the border is open, has an immigration checkpoint etc, and what are the latest updates. No better place to find this out than thaivisa.com of course

so the point is

dont be stupid

OUCH!! That's harsh dude!

But also correct. If ever there is a time in your life to be conscious of your legal obligations and minding your P's and Q's its when you visit another country. Good to see the immigration boys were cool about it. Some other countries in the region like China and Myanmar are maybe not so forgiving.