Reggae Pub

:) After 25 years the Reggae Pub's strictly administered policy of "no ladies of the third category permitted entrance" has come to and end. Fleeing the ever increasing hordes of ladyboys at Green Mango and Sweet Soul one could always count on an oasis ladies only at Reggae Pub. Well that policy ceased last night, when instead of the usual live band floorshow, on came the " Cabaret " with lip sync ladyboys in their peacock feathers and nauseous fluttering boys wearing wings of palm fronds Aaaaaggghhh ! Time to leave....

On the one hand, I tend to agree that it is a pity that the reggae 'niche' has been tainted. However, discriminating on the basis of orientation alone belongs in the dark ages.

Anyone is welcome to walk into a hillbilly bar, but unless you are a hillbilly you wouldn't feel comfortable there, would you? By the same token, anyone can also walk into a leather bar; but unless you are wearing leather, you wouldn't really enjoy it.

So then it follows that if a land-owner wanted to build a hillbilly bar in the middle of Leatherbar land, the main group of customers who would walk in, would be people dressed in leather!! (and maybe 2 hillbillies from out of town). Of course the hillbillies would be ranting; but after all, it is Leatherbar land, so the hillbillies would just need to shut-up and put up with it, wouldn't they?

It bears reminding that the country in which we find ourselves is one where men dressed in pink frocks appear in almost every TV game-show and soap opera here. It is an accepted part of Thai culture - so although some of us may not like it, we would do well to accept it. The other choice is to re-locate to hillbillyland where we can be with our own kind.

On the one hand, I tend to agree that it is a pity that the reggae 'niche' has been tainted. However, discriminating on the basis of orientation alone belongs in the dark ages.

Anyone is welcome to walk into a hillbilly bar, but unless you are a hillbilly you wouldn't feel comfortable there, would you? By the same token, anyone can also walk into a leather bar; but unless you are wearing leather, you wouldn't really enjoy it.

So then it follows that if a land-owner wanted to build a hillbilly bar in the middle of Leatherbar land, the main group of customers who would walk in, would be people dressed in leather!! (and maybe 2 hillbillies from out of town). Of course the hillbillies would be ranting; but after all, it is Leatherbar land, so the hillbillies would just need to shut-up and put up with it, wouldn't they?

It bears reminding that the country in which we find ourselves is one where men dressed in pink frocks appear in almost every TV game-show and soap opera here. It is an accepted part of Thai culture - so although some of us may not like it, we would do well to accept it. The other choice is to re-locate to hillbillyland where we can be with our own kind.

:)

I agree with this. Overt sexual discrimination should not be encouraged.

I have to agree with Crusty and Simplyred.

I have nothing against other sexual persuasions. To each his own.

The main thing is Reggae was a place you could go to wthout being hit on or bothered to use the word by guys in dresses.

Lets hope the Reggae owners are reading this, and do something.

I have to agree with Crusty and Simplyred.

I have nothing against other sexual persuasions. To each his own.

The main thing is Reggae was a place you could go to wthout being hit on or bothered to use the word by guys in dresses.

Lets hope the Reggae owners are reading this, and do something.

So you have never had a bar girl ask you "Buy me drink? Where you come from. Love you long time. Give me money for sick buffalo. Send me money every month". Being hit or bothered" is the Thai national Farang sport. Whatever persuasion. Girls or guys in dresses. Homophopes. Don't you just love 'em. :)

Let's hope the owners of the Reggae pub are reading this and are encouraged by the supprt they are getting for being more relaxed. :D

After 25 years the Reggae Pub's........

25 years ???? :)

The airport was built and opened in April 1989....and when I landed on Samui that winter season the Reggae Pub wasn't there; there were large parts of the road along Chaweng still completely empty and the lake area was deserted; there was nothing apart from some huts.

But...who the heck will know; it's interesting to tell the tourists that they exist already for 25 years, isn't it ? :D

And, good for the Reggae Pub it abandoned the rule which forbid the entrance for Ladyboys; after all, thats discrimination.

LaoPo

The airport was built and opened in April 1989....and when I landed on Samui that winter season the Reggae Pub wasn't there; there were large parts of the road along Chaweng still completely empty and the lake area was deserted; there was nothing apart from some huts....

LaoPo

I know it's been there at a minimum of 15 years, how long before that I don't know.

The Reggae Pub was a small disco at Chaweng Beach Road somewhere opposite the now Chaweng Resort. The road in front was a sandy path. Behind it was a tense palm forest, nothing else. During nighttime it was completely dark around it. I was there about 23 years ago.

The Reggae Pub was a small disco at Chaweng Beach Road somewhere opposite the now Chaweng Resort. The road in front was a sandy path. Behind it was a tense palm forest, nothing else. During nighttime it was completely dark around it. I was there about 23 years ago.

Chaweng Resort..? Is that the place where Arabian Bungalows used to be ?

Hmmm...I missed that Reggae Pub you're talking about; you must have arrived by ferry from the mainland then.

LaoPo

The airport was built and opened in April 1989....and when I landed on Samui that winter season the Reggae Pub wasn't there; there were large parts of the road along Chaweng still completely empty and the lake area was deserted; there was nothing apart from some huts.

But...who the heck will know; it's interesting to tell the tourists that they exist already for 25 years, isn't it ? :D

And, good for the Reggae Pub it abandoned the rule which forbid the entrance for Ladyboys; after all, thats discrimination.

LaoPo

It could be 25 years old if you count its original incarnations. I visited in 1992 and the was a little beer bar on the road along Chaweng Beach about 1 or 2 km from First Bungalows in Chaweng that called themselves the Reggae Pub. It didn't seem to have much to do with reggae except that they had a picture of Bob Marley on the wall and they were selling some unusually nice t-shirts with Marley's likeness. I think that I still have the shirt. Though it was a small place with not much to offer except beer and peanuts, it was hard to miss it if you were staying near there because there wasn't much along that road at the time. Even then it looked like it was probably one to the more successful bars, though I'd be surprised if they averaged selling more than a few dozen bottle of beer per day back then.

Edited by OriginalPoster

Yes, about that area, Arabian, Chaweng Cabana, Ruang Thon Bakery. Chaweng Resort is next to Centara Grand.

And sure, there was no other way, everyone came with ferry, mostly by Songserm "the cigar".

Original Poster is right, it was nothing special. Lamai was the centre of "action"

rysamui is also right :)

Edited by Birdman

Yes, about that area, Arabian, Chaweng Cabana, Ruang Thon Bakery. Chaweng Resort is next to Centara Grand.

And sure, there was no other way, everyone came with ferry, mostly by Songserm "the cigar".

That sounds about right except that I don't recall it having been a disco.

Actually though, on Reggae Pub's website they don't say 25 years exactly, they say that they were founded in 1988. To quote from their web page:

"Reggae Pub is the oldest and one of the biggest clubs on Samui. In the beginning the Reggae Pub was just a small bar on Chaweng Beach. Established in 1988 with 15 seats and a bar, Reggae Pub grew to a big nightclub later. With its relocation to the lake it expanded to a gigantic fun pub. In 1995 it burnt down, by tourist misbehaviour and was completely rebuilt into the unique architectural wooden building that blended the Reggae style with the traditional Thai style to the modern classical decoration. It gives the place the special atmosphere it has."

Actually though, on Reggae Pub's website they don't say 25 years exactly, they say that they were founded in 1988. To quote from their web page:

"Reggae Pub is the oldest and one of the biggest clubs on Samui. In the beginning the Reggae Pub was just a small bar on Chaweng Beach. Established in 1988 with 15 seats and a bar, Reggae Pub grew to a big nightclub later. With its relocation to the lake it expanded to a gigantic fun pub. In 1995 it burnt down, by tourist misbehaviour and was completely rebuilt into the unique architectural wooden building that blended the Reggae style with the traditional Thai style to the modern classical decoration. It gives the place the special atmosphere it has."

Thanks; that explains a lot. So they opened as a small bar just before the airport opened. I might even have been there but never paid attention to the names of the bars :)

LaoPo

Was it a bar? I thought it was a disco :) People danced in the back.

LaoPo

The original Reggae 1982 was a one story shophouse on the dirt track that is now Chaweng Beach road with a sandpit for dancing. We had to drive to Lamai to the Flamingo Club for the only nightclub on the island and not much later Khun Nui and Yai opened the popular Malibu. Remember in those days everyone walked the beach to go anywhere.

Well, the statement on the website has been "groomed" a bit.. however - yes the old Reggae Pub II,with the sand "dance floor" was just opposite the Chaweng Cabana, the first one a simple Beach Bar with Reggae Music, highly popular in these days!

Check it out there is again a small reincarnation, another "Reggae Bar"! in the back used to be the "Rong Beer" Thai live music pub... big development planned for this area!

So was the "Green Mango", it was first located at the "Laem Din Market", approx. there where the "Petchabun Boxing Stadium" is located today!

Those were the day my friend....wonderful times, few cars, few bikes, few scams, few people.... mostly, Sun, Sand, Sea, Fun and Palm trees...!

In those days, located in the Ban Tai area, I always thought "how much better it can get...?" :)

The building where the Reggae pub moved into after the fire, was always there, as a "Restaurant" which never took off..

Edited by Samuian

Check it out there is again a small reincarnation, another "Reggae Bar"! in the back used to be the "Rong Beer" Thai live music pub... big development planned for this area!

Is it related to the Reggae Pub? A few months ago when I visited I happened across one that I think that was called the Rasta Bar that was in the same general area as the original Reggae Pub and a little bit similar to the way that I remembered the original. Is that the one that you mean? That one's being run by some young guy from Surrathani who has an authentically Rastafarian look about him; he used to have that same bar on that soi where the Rock Nights was until that soi became a ghost town.

Edited by OriginalPoster

"Green Mango" at Laem Din was later and as far as I remember more popular than the Reggae Pub. I liked the place too. Of course it was the time before techno and house...

But nothing beats the nights on Lamai at that time. Campfires, guitars on the beach, later at the "Animal House" and then "Flamingo"...

Lamai changed the worst of all.

Is it related to the Reggae Pub? A few months ago when I visited I happened across one that I think that was called the Rasta Bar that was in the same general area as the original Reggae Pub and a little bit similar to the way that I remembered the original. Is that the one that you mean? That one's being run by some young guy from Surrathani who has an authentically Rastafarian look about him; he used to have that same bar on that soi where the Rock Nights was until that soi became a ghost town.

Yep, OPPOSITE the Chaweng Cabana Resort, this one, don't know the guy, haven't had a look at it's name - but thought it was interesting, rebirth...

"Green Mango" at Laem Din was later and as far as I remember more popular than the Reggae Pub. I liked the place too. Of course it was the time before techno and house...

But nothing beats the nights on Lamai at that time. Campfires, guitars on the beach, later at the "Animal House" and then "Flamingo"...

Yep, then there was a guy from Scotland, forgot his name... he organized the music as (DJ?)... however yes, later when the Reggae moved up, "The Doors Pub"?

Interesting "Animal House", "Flamingo".... very interesting, same, same....indeed in those days Lamai was "the Place" to go for some club'ing...Campfires, Mekhong... I know...wonderful times!

Edited by Samuian

Yep, then there was a guy from Scotland, forgot his name... he organized the music as (DJ?)... however yes, later when the Reggae moved up, "The Doors Pub"?

Interesting "Animal House", "Flamingo".... very interesting, same, same....indeed in those days Lamai was "the Place" to go for some club'ing...Campfires, Mekhong... I know...wonderful times!

Showing your age Samuian. :)

Yep, OPPOSITE the Chaweng Cabana Resort, this one, don't know the guy, haven't had a look at it's name - but thought it was interesting, rebirth...

I was sort of impressed by the kid who runs the place (i'm calling him a kid, but for all I know he could be over 30). He quickly develops a real rapport with the few customers he gets and seems to be running the place totally clean (no hookers, no drugs, etc.) and he is a lot more imaginative about his choice of reggae than just playing Bob Marley all the time. Main problem that I can see would be if he starts to get too big that the Reggae Pub people might try to claim that he is trading off their name. He isn't really though, he just happens to have a Reggae theme and to be on the same island.

Edited by OriginalPoster

Showing your age Samuian. :D

.....so, so does it?...came with pop 'n mom, they where hippies, comin' from Goa, introducing the Full Moon Parties, to KPG... while then 'mui was already "too busy" for them... :)

@original Poster: Yeah, wish him.the venue all the best - it's what samui needs, some places/people which stand out, that what once was it's trademark and not these grey concrete, failed imagination, soopa mega cool places... which lack any personality/mainstream copies with the charm of a refrigerator!

Edited by Rooo
Reurned to original font.Rooo.