Thaksin To Set Up Govt In Exile If Coup Staged

webfact

It's not about Democracy anymore it's about his EGO and nothing more
For Thaksin, it was NEVER about democracy. He said so himself.

True enough, but at least it was possible to wave that flag in disguise, the blush has worn off that rose..

My impression is he is increasingly becoming obsessed, paranoid and delusional bordering on psychotic over this.. On his own now he has no grounding in reality..

Edited by WarpSpeed

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gen Anupong said there will be no coup today, so I guess there won't be a coup from his team.

But there might be a false flag coup attempt from a team trying to LOOK like his team.

That is the only possibility to fit to Thaksins plans for a government in exile.

A fake coup to blame the army with and use that for instigating 'a popular uprising'.

Problem is it is quite doubtful that many would rally round his red flag boueys n gurrls

Most of the country, like the silent majority, are pretty much sick and tired of the whole mess.

True enough, but at least it was possible to wave that flag in disguise, the blush has worn off that rose..

My impression is he is increasingly becoming obsessed, paranoid and delusional bordering on psychotic over this.. On his own now he has no grounding in reality..

You have hit squarely on the reasons for my dislike and distrust of Thaksin as a controller of the nation..

I was a fan for a few years, but from 2006 on his periodic loss of grounding in reality while under pressure,

made him an obvious detriment to the nation and he has don't nothing to prove this view contrary.

I am sure this was a strong part of the armys reasoning for his removal.

Look who he surrounbds himself with Chalerm, Chavalit, Noppadon, Hun Sen and Sae Daeng.

Peas in a pod, lost in a pod people alternut house universe.

Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra early Monday he will set up a government in exile if another coup is staged.

Normal practice is to set up your government-in-exile *after* you've been thrown out of office. Since he's already been thrown out there's no need to wait, he can set up his government in tax-exile now :)

You have hit squarely on the reasons for my dislike and distrust of Thaksin as a controller of the nation..

I was a fan for a few years, but from 2006 on his periodic loss of grounding in reality while under pressure,

made him an obvious detriment to the nation and he has don't nothing to prove this view contrary.

I am sure this was a strong part of the armys reasoning for his removal.

Look who he surrounbds himself with Chalerm, Chavalit, Noppadon, Hun Sen and Sae Daeng.

Peas in a pod, lost in a pod people alternut house universe.

I've never been a fan of his from the first day my feet hit Thai soil I knew he was a crook. Having said that it was a lesser of two evils as I completely disagreed with his ouster in the way it took place. But now even that blush has worn off since as a powerless part of this society, all parties actions are directly effecting me and my family's finances and future and that makes it as personal as it gets just as if someone came into our house and robbed us..

Sadly I'm in the court of some stability even if it is Hu Jintao at this point it's that desperate..

Thing is whatever your point of view on Taksin he was the last democratically elected PM, on at least 2 times.

He wasn't installed by the military coup and the thai elite, he actually won the elections with the voters approval.

I do believe he was the only PM to serve a full term.

There has been not democracy in thailand since the military coup, and the only way to restore the democracy is to have an election.

Military coups, or appointed judges, or tea money or doctored constitutions are not democratic means,

Democracies operate by putting up or shutting up before the voters.

Lets have a return to democracy abisit.

Thing is whatever your point of view on Taksin he was the last democratically elected PM, on at least 2 times.

/.../ and the only way to restore the democracy is to have an election.

Uh, what? Samak et al wasn't democratically elected? Wow, are we reaching consensus that election fraud is bad?

Uh, what? Samak et al wasn't democratically elected? Wow, are we reaching consensus that election fraud is bad?

the going rate for voting for thaksin's parties up here in issan was 300 baht per vote. so it's hard to say that winning an election by vote buying is real democracy.

It's to Thaksin's detriment that he did buy votes. For somebody supposedly as shrewd as him he does have quite a few "Duh" moments. (of course we can all ignore the Dems buying votes but seeing as it wasn't as widespread as Thaskin's lot that's OK then-and yes I am being facetious).

He'd most probably have got into power by playing it straight.

Why would the military stage another coup when they already have a proxy govt in place? The mind boggles.

Because they {military/elite} have a history of such. Surely, wouldn't be the first time pertaining to proxy and coup models. :)

When it comes to doing a number of "highly questionable things" Thaksin's a rank amateur compared to such "good old boys" in the past like Sarit Thanarat. Of course, we can't really go there as it might result in this thread lasting about as long as me in a Coyote Dancers' Dressing Room.

He wasn't installed by the military coup and the thai elite, he actually won the elections with the voters approval.

There has been not democracy in thailand since the military coup, and the only way to restore the democracy is to have an election.

Military coups, or appointed judges, or tea money or doctored constitutions are not democratic means,

Most conveniently dismiss facts to maintain their personal agenda. It was still crooked then, as it is now.

ZAP!

Like a flyswatter crushing a bug, your premise collapses, in a cloud of it's own distortions.

When it comes to doing a number of "highly questionable things" Thaksin's a rank amateur compared to such "good old boys" in the past like Sarit Thanarat. Of course, we can't really go there as it might result in this thread lasting about as long as me in a Coyote Dancers' Dressing Room.

One might even speculate that the base game hasn't really changed much since the 50's and 60's. Just the players, the interpretation, and how such things are promoted.

People who think the current government isn't democratically elected need to go learn about how the parliament/electoral system in Thailand actually works. Executive summary for the peanut politics brigade:

Election => social division => coup => militarily appointed government => election => dissolution of several parties after executives convicted of electoral fraud (many for the second time) => surviving elected members of parliament form a new coalition.

You can despise the last coup if you want to, but the fact is people have since voted in a new government. The politicians that cheated in those elections (again) betrayed and let down the people that voted for them. I've no sympathy at all. They got off lightly.

People who think the current government isn't democratically elected need to go learn about how the parliament/electoral system in Thailand actually works. Executive summary for the peanut politics brigade:

Election => social division => coup => militarily appointed government => election => dissolution of several parties after executives convicted of electoral fraud (many for the second time) => surviving elected members of parliament form a new coalition.

You can despise the last coup if you want to, but the fact is people have since voted in a new government.

Totally agree, and in your words; the politicians that cheated in those elections (again) betrayed and let down the people that voted for them. I've no sympathy at all. They got off lightly.

I have some further comments, I believe:

1. The currrent penalties for vote buying etc., should in fact be much harsher with ban for life (meaning ban on any form of political activity in any way and ban for life on holding any government position, some form of severe monetary punishment, and two years jail. And possibly some clause which prohibits passing the seat to a relative within 5 years.

2. The constitution should be adjusted to ensure that one person cannot ever gain anythiing like the power and control we witnessed in the run up to the 2006 coup and which we are still wirnessing from the fugitive.

The Reds know that they could run with everybody's blessing if they would only dump the puppet criminal. Suggest this and they go all shy. Why? Because democracy is the last thing on their minds. Pay-day from Crook No. 1 is the first.

Agreed if there was a coup it's Abhisit who should set up a government in exile ..and my guess he would get widespread sympathy and hospitality overseas if not outright recognition.

But the military and those who use them can't be so stupid...or can they?

I do not think PM Abhisit would receive much sympathy from foreign governments that have a vested interest in Thailand's future. The Europeans will bleat about democracy, freedoms etc., but they'll be running in to do business with whoever is in charge. The Japanese and Chinese are at least more consistent as they just want their business interests protected and if the military can do that, they won't care. It will fall to the western pacific nations to speak out with the USA faced with a dilemma. Although most US members of Congress probably have no idea where Thailand is, Mr. Abhisit is a pariah at the state department. He hasn't played ball on human rights and caused embarrassment over the Hmong situation as well as interfered with plans for cooperation with Cambodia. However, if the military says it is onside on the China issue, then the state department will make nice. The Australians will do the right thing, but Thailand will ignore the Australian position as it usually does. The Canadians will be offer empty statements and then stand back.

Guys in uniform look the same on TV, Thaksin can send in one group and

say they are from the opposition, mere pawns in his plan. Dissinformation.

Certainly there are multiple factions vieing for the trough,

but the only one with real gains to be made are the Thaksin backing ones.

And there are those that can dress up in red shirts and cause trouble so that it looks like the reds are the instigators. Deceit and treachery is not the preserve of one particular group. There appears to be one vested interest that seems to have an interest in trying incite civil strife and I suggest that it is not neccessarily "red" or "yellow"

Quote from above:

"... democratically elected PM, on at least 2 times ...".

"....I do believe he was the only PM to serve a full term...."

Your first point is wrong because he bought 2 elections and hundreds of his party followers are now banned for vote buying and there is plenty of evidence on open record to prove the vote buying, so your second point is a joke.

Wow, are we reaching consensus that election fraud is bad?

Only if it's committed by a Thaksin nominee apparently. :)

Sure, serious election fraud has been around in Thailand for decades but nobody really bothered to tackle it / or had the power to tackle it.

But it suddenly got way of of hand, it was massive, open and blatenat and the abuse of athority for personal and family gain way way out of control and open for all to see, tens of billions of baht out of hand, and a group of Thais with power on their side (the military) reacted on behalf of all Thais.

Some would say it's not fair, because others before him weren't punished in any way. So that's like saying because one specific murdered has never been caught and punished therefore all murderers should not be punished. Surely nobody would eve accept this as a valid argument.

It's also true that people who get involved in corruption know very well that they are breaking the law and there is the possibility that somehow you might just be the one who's in the hot seat when the tables turn. People who get involved with corruption take this risk.

Some would say it's not fair, because others before him weren't punished in any way. So that's like saying because one specific murdered has never been caught and punished therefore all murderers should not be

I tend to go the other way on this one scorecard where if Thaksin's lot should be punished then so should all the others. To use your murder analogy that's like saying "Well he murdered 10 people but the next guy only murdered one so we''ll let him off." if you go by some posters' stance that the Dem vote buying wasn't as widespread or blatant as Thaksin's lot.

.... Executive summary for the peanut politics brigade:

You can despise the last coup if you want to, but the fact is people have since voted in a new government....

Totally agree, and in your words; the politicians that cheated in those elections (again) betrayed and let down the people that voted for them. I've no sympathy at all. They got off lightly.

I have some further comments, I believe:

1. The currrent penalties for vote buying etc., should in fact be much harsher with ban for life (meaning ban on any form of political activity in any way and ban for life on holding any government position, some form of severe monetary punishment, and two years jail. And possibly some clause which prohibits passing the seat to a relative within 5 years.

2. The constitution should be adjusted to ensure that one person cannot ever gain anything like the power and control we witnessed in the run up to the 2006 coup and which we are still witnessing from the fugitive.

Yes the penalty phase is very weak, but at least there is one.

But I like your version better, and especially the

not passing it to the idiot sons and daughters clause.

Point 2 is under fire now or maybe not depending on view.

We got a stronger constitution, but we also got smaller parties

having less chance of a good showing. So they are less likely

to be a viable counter weight in a coalition.

So maybe this means larger parties will have to carry the day,

or even weaker more fragmented coalitions will come to the fore,

and Nothing will bloody well get done...

Or greater money and leverage will be needed to hold anything together.

Which sounds like TRT two...

Edited by animatic

Some would say it's not fair, because others before him weren't punished in any way. So that's like saying because one specific murdered has never been caught and punished therefore all murderers should not be

I tend to go the other way on this one scorecard where if Thaksin's lot should be punished then so should all the others. To use your murder analogy that's like saying "Well he murdered 10 people but the next guy only murdered one so we''ll let him off." if you go by some posters' stance that the Dem vote buying wasn't as widespread or blatant as Thaksin's lot.

Well on difference is that TRT PPP Leadership got implicated clearly both times.

While a few small time Dems got popped for it and got the axe too.

No problem; replace them with a more honest or at least less stupid party member.

I think they learned to protect and shield their leadership from stupid old school mistakes,

and the opposition has never taken that lesson to heart.

But since top Dem party leaders didn't get caught, then that is why they are still around.

And not for the TRT, PPP and PTP trying repeatedly to turn something into grounds for this dissolution.

Seems they never can find some real dirt that sticks... where there's no smoke, maybe less fire.

In any case the Thaksin street branch shows even less probity and verbal integrity.

So who is in his Cabinet abroad?

Giles, Jakrapob, the aircraft controllers mother, Noppadon, Sae Dang, and Hun Sen?

Edited by animatic