Whats Wrong With Sukhumvit Soi 4 "nana" ?

Lammbock

Hello Users,

The Bangkok Post sayed already and more and more i do agree.

The Soi 4 in Bangkoks CBD area is getting worse and worse.

Prostitutes and Ladyboys are Hooking down true Soi 6 corner at 5pm already.

African Drugdeales (Yes they are drug dealers and you know it) walking around the area.

Totaly drunken tourist fighting each other in front of the bars so badly until the police arrives.

I want to ask those of you which are regulas at the Soi 4 for a couple of years.

Do you agree? What is your personal opinion?

I find it very unfortunatet what is going on there and more and more i going to different places.

Soi 8 in my opinion is really comeing up. Love the Soi8 Bar and some others. Very nice for a after work beer.

I was going to buy a condo on soi 8, but decided against it as i can imagine in a few year (s) it becoming like a soi 5 or even soi 4...already now walking down the entrance part of soi 8 in high season you pass a crowd of the 'shaved heads- tattoos- sleevless beer chang shirts- walking with beer in hand' crowd.

I was going to buy a condo on soi 8, but decided against it as i can imagine in a few year (s) it becoming like a soi 5 or even soi 4...already now walking down the entrance part of soi 8 in high season you pass a crowd of the 'shaved heads- tattoos- sleevless beer chang shirts- walking with beer in hand' crowd.

Not sure why you'd want to buy a condo anywhere *near* that street. It gets worse by the day.

It's been downhill for years now and increasing speed lately. Still 10 years ago places like Ekamai was "out in the sticks" and now it is one of the prime area for nightclubs and entertainment. The scum is pushing it further and before you know it you are considering moving to Bang Na to get rid of the riffraff.

you just gotta appreciate it for what it is. I would hate to go to nana and find it quiet and civilized, it is a place u go to when you want weirdness, girls, danger, alcohol, etc etc. saying that nana is getting worse is a paradox as it

thrives on those things mentioned.

already now walking down the entrance part of soi 8 in high season you pass a crowd of the 'shaved heads- tattoos- sleevless beer chang shirts- walking with beer in hand' crowd.

The British blokes like to travel.

How do you know they were Brits?

It is the International Language you know.

you just gotta appreciate it for what it is. I would hate to go to nana and find it quiet and civilized, it is a place u go to when you want weirdness, girls, danger, alcohol, etc etc. saying that nana is getting worse is a paradox as it

True. Chances are it's just a situation cycle. Things work themselves out for the best {or not}.

already now walking down the entrance part of soi 8 in high season you pass a crowd of the 'shaved heads- tattoos- sleevless beer chang shirts- walking with beer in hand' crowd.

It doesn't matter whether they were or not to a bigot.

I'm surprised at you UG making such a stupid sweeping generalization :)

Carefull now or he will accuse you of yanqui bashing and get's his mates over...

I live in the area and I must say, for all its craziness, for all the illegal activity, for the inablity to even walk down the street occasionally, for all those things, I wouldn't live anywhere else in town.

The proximity to everything I need to live - shopping, fitness club, pubs, BTS, and yes the items I mentioned above - makes it all worthwhile.

I honestly believe living here "mutes" the thngs most people / visitors dislike about the area.

Edited by Twin

To be fair i do visit the area frequently to meet friends and for drinks. Have done so for years.

But i would not want to live there anymore as i have family. Def not a place for kids. So situations change.

They don't need to make it other siam sq but just clean it a bit. At least few years back the biz was not in your face at the street in lunch time. Afterhours bars were inside and out of sight. You didn't need to have the last one in the street dodging drug pushers and ladyboys.

That reminds me than I lived in Patty. Best place to be in the evening was opposite the Marine disco to watch the circus. Way better than a Fellini movie.

It's what they call 'High Season'. Many of you youngsters won't remember, but this is the way it used to be several years ago (and even more than this). As the economy is slowly recovering next year will be back to business as usual.

After Songkran it will be winding down a bit again.

It's been downhill for years now and increasing speed lately. Still 10 years ago places like Ekamai was "out in the sticks" and now it is one of the prime area for nightclubs and entertainment. The scum is pushing it further and before you know it you are considering moving to Bang Na to get rid of the riffraff.

Oh no, oh Christ! You fool! You've just put up the idea to the riff-raff that they should move out to my area, Bangna. Curse you. Now I'm going to have to venture into the Ekamai area to see what kind of riff-raff I can expect out my way in the next, oh, 10 years or so. Maybe 20. Oh, I forgot one thing. It will be under water from global warming by then. I think I'd better do my homework and prepare by digging out my copy of Kevin Costner's "Waterworld".

Wit

I'm surprised at you UG making such a stupid sweeping generalization :D

Huh? A lot of Brits are bald and have tattoos - I did not say anything bad about them. :)

It doesn't matter whether they were or not to a bigot.

Wouldnt call it bigoted, most likely based on personal observation, you need to get out and about a bit more, thankfully UG calls it as he sees it, most refreshing these days.

Perhaps he could also advise, where the <deleted> do these Johnny Bravo, no neck, steroid freak, euro trash come from.

Reason for asking is so I can avoid the country of origin.

Carefull now or he will accuse you of yanqui bashing and get's his mates over...

Yes I have never seen Germans, Scandinavians or Russians with shaven heads sporting tattoos walking around with beers!!!

Paradoxically, I assume that Nana "getting worse" is like a double negative i.e. it is losing it's traditional/usual appeal ??

I'm surprised at you UG making such a stupid sweeping generalization :D

Huh? A lot of Brits are bald and have tattoos - I did not say anything bad about them. :)

You're full of generalisations arnt you?

Well it runs in cycles. Last visit to NANA was rather dire I must admit. Seen more Nigerians down KSR though if the truth be known.

Cowboy was rather nice, bright and cheerful. :)

Thanks very much

very kind of you to say so

Not sure I remember meeting you,but I put that down to the perils of strong drink

StreetCowboy

Actually there's a push to upscale Soi 4 by some of the larger property owners to a high end boutique district,

Some of this is already evident with new properties like the Darwin Hotel, etc, even the Omni is no longer with the Ascott Group.

The ultimate goal of course is the removal or relocation of NP and all the rift raff associated with it.

Whether it ever becomes a high end tourist district with up scale venues we'll just have to see.

Remember before the over priced art bars on Soi 33, few can argue that the character changed significantly when you charge 3x the amount for a drink, that really filters out the low end.

Time will tell, but one axiom remains true, Location, Location, Location.

:)