Apple Ipad

Goshawk

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not a apple fanboy by anyt means. I use Apple products tho at home and on the road. I for one am really looking forward to the ipad and i think people should wait until they get hands on when they get one or try it in the apple stores.

I think as many say once you have actually used it you realise the potential of this product.

Has anyone seen this?... Hilarious

Hitler and the iPad

:) Must send this video to my US broker when I send in the sell order on my Apple shares tomorrow

Yet another subtitle overlay over that scene - there must be hundreds now - and 3M views - wow!! :D

Tip for native German speakers: Turn off the sound. Much funnier.

And yes, internet access here has improved a lot over the last year. 3Mbit TOT (well ... 3 Thai Mbit, up and down, but overall not bad). 4Mbit CAT - not working very well at all, but I keep it because I know it will suddenly and unexpectedly start to work as it should just as the TOT will suddenly and unexpectedly develop problems... then CAT CDMA, the excellent backup through power outages, even prolonged ones. And AIS GPRS in case all the above fail, but so far that's not happened.

Edited by nikster

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just ordered one ...

4427580804_23b3ef68ca_b.jpg

Can't wait to play with it. I reckon I'll get it in late April.

Does anyone knows if AIS or any cell phone company in Thailand would have micro-sim type gsm card ?

Edited by Aswin

-The following was taken from "Mac Rumors" on 19 March 2010 -

The Wall Street Journal reports that Apple is tempering its own expectations for launch content on the iPad as it continues to struggle with finalizing deals with publishers ahead of the device's April 3rd launch date. In particular, television content and iPad-specific presentation of newspaper, magazine, and textbook content are said to have been set aside as Apple focuses its efforts on other content that stands a chance of meeting the launch deadline.

Yet the company is still negotiating with media companies for a price cut on TV shows that people can download onto the device, said people familiar with the matter. Apple also hoped to work closely with newspaper, magazines and textbook publishers on new ways to digitally present print content on the iPad, but has for now put the effort on backburner in favor of focusing on other content, said one of those people.

The report notes that potential partners have been reluctant to sign on with Apple, weighing the benefits of bringing their content to new platforms against risks to their revenue streams as they consider forging new revenue models.

Presumably Apple has been focusing a significant amount of attention on eBooks, as it seeks to roll out its iBooks application and associated iBookstore in the U.S. as the device launches. Apple has also been working to provide tools to developers to allow them to move their iPhone and iPod touch App Store applications to the iPad and bring new providers on board.

The report also cites a source claiming that Apple has already sold "hundreds of thousands" of iPads since it went on sale last Friday, with the potential to outsell the original iPhone over the respective devices' initial three months' of sales. U.S. customers are currently able to pre-order any of Apple's six iPad models, with Wi-Fi models scheduling for launch on April 3rd and 3G-capable models to follow in late April. International availability of all models is also scheduled to follow at that time.

I just ordered one ...

4427580804_23b3ef68ca_b.jpg

Can't wait to play with it. I reckon I'll get it in late April.

Does anyone knows if AIS or any cell phone company in Thailand would have micro-sim type gsm card ?

There are definitely no micro sim cards in Thailand now. Presumably there will be when the ipad launches in about 6 months. It isnt worth it though, just tether for free on the wifi version.

Not sure if you can buy sim cards at 7-11, you can buy pay as you go phone cards there for sure. Yes its for voice and data but its cheaper if you get on a phone plan with a phone company. The pay as you go will charge you more for data. Oh 6 weeks... maybe youre stuck with phone cards pay as you go.

I'll be in Thailand in July for 6 weeks, I can just get a sim card for my iPhone at 7/11, right ? Can I use it for both voice and data ?

Please advise, thanks.

Not at 7-11 but at any mobile phone shop. You need AIS or DTAC, True doesn't really have prepaid data plans. There's booths for both at the ground floor in the airport so if you want to be really quick, get your SIM there. You will get a prepaid SIM, and then a data package costing 100 / 400 / 1000 baht per month for 20 / 100 / unlimited hours of internet usage. Beware that if you don't get the data package, your data will go off of your minutes at the rate of 1 baht / minute.

Promotions change but that's pretty much the price range. If you need Notifications and / or automatic email checking, get the unlimited package. Otherwise 20 hours is plenty.

Depending on how you use your phone, the prepaid option can be cheaper or more expensive than post paid. But for a short visit prepaid is the only viable option anyway.

Edited by nikster

Want an iPad now... I guess I have to get it in the USA, it looks like Thailand is going to be in for a loooooong wait, and by that I mean well over 6 months.

The iPad ships in the USA now, in a handful of other countries later this month, and for the rest of the world there's a vague promise it will come "later this year". Now with demand red-hot what they'll do is shift all the ones they're making to those countries where deliveries have been promised. I bet on December for Thailand at the earliest. They'll just not be able to make enough.

Edited by nikster

Mac Break Weekly: iPAD revealed

In this special episode, Andy Ihnatko gives the first live media iPad demonstration as his embargo ends. Also available in video.

Enjoy, you crazy zealots.

This is awesome - Pogue reviews the iPad twice. Once for techies. Once for normal people. Great stuff: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/01/technolo...ch/01pogue.html

This will make you want one, if you have enough attention span to read 4 pages: http://www.time.com/time/business/article/...76935-1,00.html

In the latter article, there's also something about Steve Jobs. Some think he's a genius sales man, and of course he is. But reading the 1985 playboy interview with him, I now think he's more like the Benjamin Franklin of our time. Steve Jobs, in 1985, saw the internet as pretty much a given - that's what computers would do. At that time, I was playing with my C64, and not until 10 years later would I have an email account. There's lots of other stuff in there that's just incredible. Of course he did not foresee IBM clones or that he'd get booted out of his own company a few months later at that time. But there is deep insight into the computer industry that is still valid today.

The iPad is exciting because it's really a departure from computers as we know them.

So say you are in Thailand and you want an ipad now. Obviously you can simply fly off to the states and get one or get one of your mates to buy one and then fly here. Both these maybe be a bit impractical.

So, to me, the most obvious source is Ebay. Yes they are selling at a premium but not much of one when you look around - say about US$50, at least what the Brits are going to have to pay anyways. The killer of course is (1) postage, it looks like decent international postage to Thailand is US$100 - that's pretty steep (2) Customs - no idea what that should be - a computer you would have thought not much but who knows (3) I have never dealt through Ebay before and it sort of sounds a bit of a pay my money and the guy goes on a holiday to the Bahamas free of charge with my Ipad scheme.

Anyone have any advice about it?

I'm going to Thailand July 1st. Will be there for 6 weeks.

Who wants an iPad ?

You got a beach house or condo ? I'm looking to spend may be a week at the beach, somewhere nice, I was thinkin Koh Chang, Koh Samui, Phuket or Phi Phi.

May be we can do a deal.

Edited by Aswin

So say you are in Thailand and you want an ipad now. Obviously you can simply fly off to the states and get one or get one of your mates to buy one and then fly here. Both these maybe be a bit impractical.

So, to me, the most obvious source is Ebay. Yes they are selling at a premium but not much of one when you look around - say about US$50, at least what the Brits are going to have to pay anyways. The killer of course is (1) postage, it looks like decent international postage to Thailand is US$100 - that's pretty steep (2) Customs - no idea what that should be - a computer you would have thought not much but who knows (3) I have never dealt through Ebay before and it sort of sounds a bit of a pay my money and the guy goes on a holiday to the Bahamas free of charge with my Ipad scheme.

Anyone have any advice about it?

Yes. I very much dislike ebay. But you can pay with PayPal, that way you can get your money back up to 1 month later if something goes wrong with the transaction. Secondly have it shipped by USPS (US postal service) not FedEX or UPS, that way it has a very good chance of slipping by customs.

If you see anything about Western Union payments - those are the guys who take your money and have a nice holiday on it, without ever sending you anything... scammers love WU and the reason is there is no way for you to get the money back. They can cash it pretty much 5 minutes after you posted it, then they're gone gone gone. They need only a few to fall for it and have a nice life.

Going to get a friend to send me one by USPS...

BTW enterprising people with time on your hands. Just go to the USA, buy 10 iPads, come back and sell them here for a $200 markup and you make a cool grand and get a nice trip to the USA sponsored as well.

iPad woes: iffy Wi-Fi, crashing apps, spotty USB charging

Just hours after the iPad went on sale Saturday, some early adopters were already complaining of spotty Wi-Fi reception on their glossy new tablets, while others (including yours truly) struggled to make sense of the iPad's picky USB charging needs. Also a problem: lots and lots of iPad app crashes.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ytech_gadg/2010040...ech_gadg_tc1461

Hmmm might be better wait for the next generation models. :)