Apple Ipad

Goshawk

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm saying is that owners are going to want to put their own photos, music and videos on it, and Apple is deliberately making this difficult. It's stupid.

what you on about. Of course you can put your own photos, music and video on it. Where on earth did you get the idea you could not. I have MY own photos MY own music and MY own videos on every apple device I have ever owned. That is the whole idea! You do not need to get all your content from iTunes.

It seems to me your are giving an opinion and obviously you really do not know what you are talking about.

I'm saying is that owners are going to want to put their own photos, music and videos on it, and Apple is deliberately making this difficult. It's stupid.

what you on about. Of course you can put your own photos, music and video on it. Where on earth did you get the idea you could not. I have MY own photos MY own music and MY own videos on every apple device I have ever owned. That is the whole idea! You do not need to get all your content from iTunes.

It seems to me your are giving an opinion and obviously you really do not know what you are talking about.

Sorry if he's giving an opinion that you don't like, but the point is valid.

It is much more difficult to put content on recent Apple devices as they like to intentionally omit things like removable storage, and USB capabilities, forcing you to use iTunes. That is the thing that grates on many people. You have a well polished device that could be a lot more useful than it is but the bewildering restrictions on how to add or remove content make them frustrating to use. That's why I gave up my iPhone in favour of my Blackberry, and it's why this thing won't replace my netbook or laptop.

It is much more difficult to put content on recent Apple devices as they like to intentionally omit things like removable storage, and USB capabilities, forcing you to use iTunes. That is the thing that grates on many people. You have a well polished device that could be a lot more useful than it is but the bewildering restrictions on how to add or remove content make them frustrating to use. That's why I gave up my iPhone in favour of my Blackberry, and it's why this thing won't replace my netbook or laptop.

It is totally NOT VALID did you actually read it? He is stating that you cannot put your own photos,music and video on the device. Which is incorrect.

Itunes is hardly bewildering it is the best way i have ever used to sync MY OWN content to a mobile device. It is 1000 times better than RIM Blackberry desktop. It is FAR more straightforward keeping your music,photos,video,contacts,bookmarks etc. in sync using itunes than any of the competitors sync options. I am totally baffled why you find it bewildering my 7 year old son does it! :) (And yes I use a Blackberry bold which i like for work and but when it comes to media syncing, videos, music, photos - Apple has got it so right compared to RIM and WM)

Just to those who are undecided you can 100% put your own PHOTOS,VIDEO,MUSIC on the ipad,iphone,ipod and this is NOT restricted in anyway. Just to clarify the miss information.

If there is 250million ipod users and 100 million iphones users all doing the sync with their own Photos,Video,Music - using the same method as the ipad will use. Can they all be wrong? For such sales figures and users do the numbers not show that Apple has got it right???? :D

Edited by namoo

Is this not the Apple Sub-Forum. Why are so many Apple haters just hanging out here to cause disruption and confusion in the threads.

Funny you do not see the Apple users in the other forums posting the same nonsense....

Edited by namoo

If Apple put their logo and a screen on a big turd, Apple fanatics would tell you what a great turd it was. I think Apple has created their first big loser. BASE price $499??????

Is it not possible that people are enthusiastic about Apple products because they are actually rather good? I love my Mitsubishi Triton too, does that make me a "fanatic"?

I think the iPad will be huge. A large, speedy, multi-touch IPS panel; the opportunities for developers are endless. A no-hassle, instant-on device that anyone between 3 and 90 can use, a massive potential market place.

It is totally NOT VALID did you actually read it? He is stating that you cannot put your own photos,music and video on the device. Which is incorrect.

I think you need to calm down, take your own advice, and read what he said. He said Apple makes it more difficult to put your content on it, not impossible.

I think you need to calm down,

Well since when have I started taking instruction from you...... ..jeez... I don't feel you contribute anything construcive to the Apple Forum anyway as all your posts are Anti Apple, showing the short comings of Apple products. What is the point or participating can't you run along to another forum where you can be more constructive?

If you don't like/use or enjoy Apple products surely this is not the sub-forum for you?

And anyway Apple are not making it difficult/impossible to do that. if ANYTHING they are making it easier.

Edited by namoo

I agree with Nikster's comments and think he's spot on. Multitasking will be here soon .. as will flash and several other software improvements. Webcam (and more memory) will come with the next hardware upgrade. Take a look at the development of the iPod and iPhone over the last few years and extrapolate that to the iPad ... IF it takes off and is a successful product ... which I firmly believe it will.

But as Nikster and others have said ....the iPad is not a Netbook .. and I would add nor is it an iPod or iPhone.

When the original iPod came out some people thought it was hopeless ... then when the iPod Touch appeared some compared it with a laptop ... screen too small ... no USB ... not enough memory ... no replaceable battery .... etc etc etc .... and guess what it's a very successful product and fills a niche that many people didn't even realize was there. It's not meant to replace your computer .. it compliments it.

Like the iPod and iPhone, the iPad won't any time soon be replacing desktops, notebooks or laptops ... or phones or MP3 players for that matter.

USB is essential? Most Macs and many PCs can broadcast WiFi and Bluethooth and connect to things like iPods and iPads and even a Nokia ... what's the essential need for a USB port when these are these options? Sure I still use USB on my desktop and less frequently on my laptops. It may not have cost much for Apple to include a USB port but it also wouldn't have cost much to include an ethernet port, a phone modem or a SCSI port, or how about a parallel and serial port and an external SATA port, etc etc.

I can remember when Apple did away with the standard issue floppy disk drive on their computers and laptops and instead installed as standard a CD drive and so many people called this stupid, thought it would be impossible to function without a floppy, etc etc

OK flash memory is not so unusual now ... but yes indeed the iPad has NO hard disk inside! And Oh my God .. with iPad we will type on glass instead of plastic!

Anyway I believe that if someone buys the iPad expecting it to replace their netbook .... they MAY be disappointed ... but on the other hand, they MAY INDEED find themselves surprisingly satisfied with this product ... even in version 1 form.

I don't feel you contribute anything construcive to the Apple Forum anyway as all your posts are Anti Apple, showing the short comings of Apple products. What is the point or participating...

This is the Apple Discussion Forum, not the Apple Worship Forum. We argue about the merits and shortcomings of every kind of OS and device. Criticism of some aspect doesn't mean dislike of the overall product, nor does it make someone 'anti Apple'. If we just posted about how perfect and wonderful everything is it would be boring!

Here's another podcast on the iPad. Ironically, Windows Weekly probably had a better discussion than Mac Break Weekly.

Well I guess we can't expect Adobe Flash :) !

"As for Adobe, Jobs said they are lazy and Jobs blames Adobe for a buggy implementation of Flash on the Mac as one of the reasons they won't support it........Apple does not support Flash because it is so buggy, he says. Whenever a Mac crashes more often than not it’s because of Flash. No one will be using Flash, he says. The world is moving to HTML5." (quoted from macrumors.com)

Edited by rogerdee123

you contribute anything construcive to the Apple Forum anyway as all your posts are Anti Apple

Just goes to show you don't pay attention.

If you don't like/use or enjoy Apple products surely this is not the sub-forum for you?

I've used Apple products almost continually since the Apple II. I don't care who makes a product, I call them as I see them.

And anyway Apple are not making it difficult/impossible to do that. if ANYTHING they are making it easier.

By giving you less ways to add and remove data from a portable computing product? Please explain how the lack of USB or removable storage makes it easier to get your data on and off a device?

Just a reminder that I hate apple and Steve Jobs and mostly anything Apple related... ahmen.

Now saying that they make it difficult to add your own music, videos and pictures to the iphone/ipad is really quite strange.... in fact what they did was make it easier for dummies. I make a folder and link itunes to it and im done... really just as simple as making a folder and dragging it to a usb connection.

The Ipad will be hugely successful, thinking otherwise because it is not a laptop is missing the whole point, people hinted that it is a new appliance, this is absolutely right. It is not a laptop, it is not a phone, it is something new and it is a good representation of what is to come. In the future we will all have touch screens in every room of our house to interact with our household management and the outside world at large (computer/communications/entertainment all in one system). This is just the beginning of the revolution, things will be completely different in 10 or 20 years. I for one am excited that Im finally seeing some "star trek" type tech come to life in my lifetime, hopefully flying cars will be out before I die but I wont hold my breath....

Personally I think simple is taking the flash card out of your camera and sticking it in your iPad :)

I agree touch screens are going to be huge but they are hardly new. The interactive house thing isn't going to happen until we get networked home appliances. I am still waiting for the Java powered coffee maker of legend, but I don't think it's going to happen any time soon. Grrr...

Like the iPad, people familiar with the matter claim the fourth-generation iPhone will run a version of Apple's homebred silicon, which melds ARM's latest multi-core Cortex reference designs with Imagination's upcoming GPU components into a fine-tuned, customized SoC (system-on-a-chip) package.

These enhancements, along with improvements to the iPhone software, are expected to translate into quantifiable improvements in battery life and the overall speed of the iPhone interface and the software that runs on top of it.

Last week, in a conversation with Walt Mossberg of The Wall Street Journal, Jobs spoke of the battery-sipping custom chips Apple has built with the acquisition of P.A. Semi. He noted that the newly announced iPad will offer "140-something hours," or nearly six days, of continuous music playback with the screen off.

"It's all about the display," Jobs said of battery life. "Our chips don't use hardly any power."

- Quote taken from appleinsider.com -

"difficult to sync videos, music, or photos ..."

Right.... except that's pretty much what it was made for?!

You don't like iTunes, OK, but lots of people like it, and I, for one, can't really understand why anybody would want to deal with folders and files when they can use a database like the one provided by iTunes.

YouTube is switching to HTML5. YouTube and other video is pretty much the only really worth-while Flash application and that's going to HTML5. The rest is adverts and horrible to use animated user interfaces.

As for what the iPad is for - it's a new device category. Let's see if it will be successful. IMO there's only one or two things missing to make it into a full fledged "not a computer" computer replacement for most people - so that's certainly very interesting.

Rumors sites have found that there is webcam support in the iPad so I guess it will get this soon. Or maybe the webcam will be sold separately though it would seem un-Apple.

One more thing: I believe that the real "magic" Apple was going on about in their promo videos comes from using the iPad to surf the web. I think that will be an experience better than anything out there, and it will make regular computers with keyboard and mouse look like dinosaurs - just a hunch! Using the iPhone for a while and then going back the the laptop, I often feel reminded how clumsy the way we use computers really is.

The Ipad will be hugely successful, thinking otherwise because it is not a laptop is missing the whole point, people hinted that it is a new appliance, this is absolutely right. It is not a laptop, it is not a phone, it is something new and it is a good representation of what is to come. In the future we will all have touch screens in every room of our house to interact with our household management and the outside world at large (computer/communications/entertainment all in one system). This is just the beginning of the revolution, things will be completely different in 10 or 20 years. I for one am excited that Im finally seeing some "star trek" type tech come to life in my lifetime, hopefully flying cars will be out before I die but I wont hold my breath....

Yes, you are spot on on that. Everyone knows all this is coming - star trek has been around since ... the 60ies? I believe that when Bill Gates declared the tablet computer the future of computing about 10 years ago, he was thinking of something like the iPad. But until now, nobody got it to work. The tablet computers that we've had so far were just laptops with keyboard removed and badly working software on top.

This could be the tablet PC how it should have been. A PC-less PC, a computer appliance. Apple didn't just add touch support to some existing apps - they rewrote all their apps from the ground up.

OK turns out I was pretty wrong about HTML5 - at the moment it doesn't look like it's a feasible alternative to Flash for video. Because there is no good open source supported video format. Sigh.

This Gizmo article explains it all, good for those who don't follow these things too closely (anymore): http://gizmodo.com/5461711/giz-explains-wh...l+%28Gizmodo%29

It looks like the video choices are: HTML5 with H.264 and very expensive licensing fees as well as the chance of huge patent lawsuits/fees down the line. HTML5 with Ogg Theora which would use up so much more bandwidth it would destroy the internet instantly. Or Flash video. Lucky Adobe! :)

There's also the chance that Apple and Adobe will stop squabbling before the release and the iPad will ship with flash. It makes no sense that Apple would ship this without the ability to view so much of the web. Jobs may be arrogant, but he's not stupid.

- the following was copy and pasted from macrumors.com -

DigiTimes today offers a series of reports involving Apple, revealing a number of claims from industry sources in Taiwan regarding the next-generation iPhone, Apple's possible plans for USB 3.0, and iPad component suppliers.

One report claims that Taiwanese firm Pegatron Technology, a two-year old company created as part of a restructuring of ASUS, has landed a contract with Apple to manufacture the next-generation iPhone. Pegatron reportedly will join existing iPhone manufacturer Foxconn in production of the new models due for introduction later this year.

Another report notes that Genesys Logic has denied that recent sampling quantities of USB 3.0 device controllers are destined for Apple, refuting claims from industry sources that Apple is company behind the design request. USB 3.0, which finally began to make an industry splash with numerous product introductions at CES earlier this year, theoretically offers a 10x improvement in transfer speed over USB 2.0 as well as increased power capabilities for powering attached devices.

The same report offers a look at major component winners for Apple's iPad, with Broadcom reportedly supplying Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and touchscreen controller chips, while Infineon is handling the RF and baseband chips. Novatek (LCD driver), Linear (battery power management) and NXP (system power management) are also named as suppliers for the iPad. A separate report claims that Radiant Opto-Electronics will have provided 300,000 LED backlights to Apple for the iPad during the month of January. And finally, Yageo, Cyntec and Mag.Layers Scientific-Technics, manufacturers of passive components such as resistors and diodes, are all also reportedly providing components to Apple for the iPad.

Article Link: Taiwanese Industry Sources: Next-Generation iPhone Manufacturing Deal, USB 3.0, iPad Suppliers

DigiTimes is wrong more often than not. I mean yeah sure Apple will do USB 3.0, just like everyone else. Of course they'll continue to produce iPhones and iPads, and of course they'll introduce a new model next year. Don't really need "industry sources" to figure that out :)

BTW - very good arguments by Daring Fireball's John Gruber of why Apple should never support Flash. I agree with all of these:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Adobe-Flash-...sh-t335989.html

I think I'd be more open to Flash if its implementation on OS X wasn't so crappy. But even if it wasn't it would still remain the only piece of proprietary software that's considered a standard on the web.

As it is, any website using Flash will generate 2 - 5x the CPU load on a Mac than it does on Windows. Surely Apple doesn't like that, yet can't do anything about it because Adobe is in control of the code, and they can make it as crappy as they want on OS X.