Apple Ipad

Goshawk

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you explain to me how it does the multitask again???? If i open a website "tv forexample" and suddenly i needed to use the calculator. that means i loose the site because ipad exits the web browser and reopens it. As far as i know thats not multi tasking, its maybe fast shutting and restarting a program but surely not multitasking.

Yes. How about it doesn't "loose" the website? You can see it on any iPhone or iPod Touch. It keeps the website there for you. It also plays music in the background, it checks your email in the background, and there's an API via which things like instant messenger and so on - 3rd party applications - stay online too. The whole multi tasking debate is silly - it's not a concern under normal use by normal people. It would be more accurate to say that you can't, say, run scientific calculations in the background while you surf the web in the foreground. That's pretty much it, and the only reason the limitation is there to begin with is that Apple wants 3rd party apps to adhere to its standards so that they don't all just keep running in the background and eat up processor cycles and battery. It's not a limitation of the OS.

Is the official Thailand app store up-to date with the US one with regards TV shows and movies?

If it is that would be the only way to tempt me with buying one to ease my guilt over getting my shows via "other means"!

No you will have to open a US itunes store account and fund it using gift vouchers easily obtainable online or US credit card for all the us tv shows and movies.

Or you could sign up for UK account perhaps using something like Entropay to fund it?

I smell one of the first flop (not a real flop but not a success too) of the Apple.

It wont flop on the strength of ibooks alone. Soon you will be getting say a hardback autobiography ebook with the not only the usual photos (colour) scattered throughout the book or in the centre pages but the capability of having Video clips incorporated in the book - that is pretty awesome reason to buy it just for that concept.

Doctors will love it for bedside visits when the iphone just doesn't have the screen real-estate. In my line of work our manuals are in PDF format and having them on that display sure beats dragging out the laptop or struggling with the iphone screen to view it in a confined space. Really will be a godsend.

Magazine subscriptions in full page glory will come FHM etc. will jump on this 100%

I'll probably buy a few (Basic model) and scatter them round the home: Kitchen, coffee table, bedsides etc. and carry one on my travels.

Edited by namoo

I smell one of the first flop (not a real flop but not a success too) of the Apple.

IMO this tablet is a little ridiculous.

You're either quite young or have a bad memory. Apple doesn't have as many flops as M$, but it has certainly had more then a few. (Personally, I'd put the Lisa or Taligent at the top of the list.)

Yes. How about it doesn't "loose" the website? You can see it on any iPhone or iPod Touch. It keeps the website there for you. It also plays music in the background, it checks your email in the background, and there's an API via which things like instant messenger and so on - 3rd party applications - stay online too. The whole multi tasking debate is silly - it's not a concern under normal use by normal people. It would be more accurate to say that you can't, say, run scientific calculations in the background while you surf the web in the foreground. That's pretty much it, and the only reason the limitation is there to begin with is that Apple wants 3rd party apps to adhere to its standards so that they don't all just keep running in the background and eat up processor cycles and battery. It's not a limitation of the OS.

Thanks for the explanation nikster - the "save state" approach sounds like a sensible rethink of the multi-tasking requirement.

Still in two minds about this. Don't want to pay PC/Netbook prices for an eBook reader and not have the functionality of a PC. The same argument applies to this thing.

Probably best to see how the product matures over the next 12 months.

A mobile internet device that can't be used to watch Youtube, most news video, and video podcasts?

Flash is such a big component on the web today that it will leave a lot of holes where the content used to be. Steve Jobs' arrogance has got him convinced that the web will change for him. It won't

No multitasking?

No USB or removable SD card because Apple wants you to do everything via iTunes.

When not using this mobile device, where do you carry it?

It's a slick device that I had high hopes for but it appears my netbook is safe for now. The Apple fanboys will of course buy them up, but let's face it, Steve Jobs could have released the iFlush yesterday, and had them all holding it in until the launch date. The difference is that a lavatory has a definite purpose, this tablet doesn't.

The iPod took the older but solid Rio and leapfrogged it in design, capabilities, and added a music store. This brought the mp3 player to the mainstream.

The iPhone made smartphones appealing to the average person, not just the businessman and the geek.

What does the tablet do that's special?

As the device doesnt make any sense without a mobile data connection, I assume it must have it. Ultimately the point of the ipad must be to sell more iphones and make iphone users buy ipads rather than increase mobile data connections of users. The ipad would compete directly with the iphone rather than compliment it - if you have a sim based ipad then you might as well have a cheap and cheerful 3G phone. If you keep you iphone, buy a netbook/notebook and tether. Although AT&T doesnt allow tethering of the Iphone I guess they will introduce plans with the ipad. Presumably bluetooth. This would be good news for Thailand where tethering is free (although the data connections are rubbish).

It also seems that the 'exclusive' deal with AT&T has nothing to do with the product distribution - AT&T isnt subsidising the ipad through an expensive package.

So if it is charging US$30/month to addition subscribers on a non contract basis it can surely charge a lot less on a 2 year contract basis especially to existing subscribers or more likely, it will subsidize the cost of the sim.

So perhaps AT&T will sell the ipad 3G at the same price point as the standard ipad but with a 2 year US$30/month data fee. And tethering might be US$15/month, afterall data use is marginal.

From a Thai perspective the device will be great if it can be tethered.

You can use it with any GSM network.

Aslong as that carrier uses Micro-Sim cards. Don't think we will see that in Thailand for years but I hope I am wrong. Meanwhile MyWi app for iphone or iphone tethering and the cheaper Wifi Model will do the trick and save you the cost of an additional data plan as well.

I'm still in shock that it doesn't have a simple USB connection (hello marketing, thats 'U' as in 'Universal'). My impression is that they don't want users loading their own content onto this device. Its basically a box for buying things from Apple. Which is doubly annoying when you see things like 'iBookstore is only available in the US'.

It's a good device in that it make other manufacturers rethink their own tablet designs, but the closed world thing just drives me nuts.

I'm still in shock that it doesn't have a simple USB connection (hello marketing, thats 'U' as in 'Universal'). My impression is that they don't want users loading their own content onto this device. Its basically a box for buying things from Apple. Which is doubly annoying when you see things like 'iBookstore is only available in the US'.

I think your stuck on the concept that is a Computer replacement. It is not. Thats not the target market for his device.

It is a device that anyone can pick up turn on browse the net check their email watch some video, play some music.

You need to think of the ipad as an appliance rather than a computer. Like a TV - it's something you turn on and use for specific tasks then turn it off again without even thinking about it.

With regard the ebook. Amazon have a closed system as well with their kindle but no one complains about that.

This ipad device will shine in another 6-12 months when the developers get going with omni-outliner confirmed yesterday. The value of the product is in the 3rd party applications that will make this device a household name as with ipod.

Take for example the simple game of monopoly. You don't want to be crowded round the desktop or hand over the laptop while playing with family.. The ipad will have monopoly from EA in full screen that you can lay flat on a table or on the sofa or in the back of the car and be large enough to all sit round the table and play as it used to be played.

A lot of people have not thought about the real applications of this device....it will show itself in the coming months but right now people are struggling to see the versatility and ease of use that it will bring.

Edited by namoo

think your stuck on the concept that is a Computer replacement. It is not. Thats not the target market for his device.

It is a device that anyone can pick up turn on browse the net check their email watch some video, play some music.

You need to think of the ipad as an appliance rather than a computer. Like a TV - it's something you turn on and use for specific tasks then turn it off again without even thinking about it.

I think Namoo is spot on with his comments here, a lot of people are misunderstanding that maybe having an Ipad, is not a either or thing.

think your stuck on the concept that is a Computer replacement. It is not. Thats not the target market for his device.

I think Namoo is spot on with his comments here, a lot of people are misunderstanding that maybe having an Ipad, is not a either or thing.

I *understand* that its an appliance and its irrelevant. You guys are saying its a toaster and we should be happy it only cooks bread bought from iTunes. I'm saying is that owners are going to want to put their own photos, music and videos on it, and Apple is deliberately making this difficult. It's stupid.

I *understand* that its an appliance and its irrelevant. You guys are saying its a toaster and we should be happy it only cooks bread bought from iTunes. I'm saying is that owners are going to want to put their own photos, music and videos on it, and Apple is deliberately making this difficult. It's stupid.

1 - You don't HAVE to buy it.

2 - As you might know there are plenty of apps available on which you can read PDFs or any other kind of ebook format for the Iphone/Ipod Touch, so they will also be available for the Ipad.

I'll stick with my netbook - more functionality at the end of the day.

And the advantage of Windows :)

* Need to buy proprietary USB and card reader adapters. An insulting ploy by marketing to screw a few more bucks out of the customer.

especially because Apple is a Non Profit company

Edited by VerbalKint

If Apple put their logo and a screen on a big turd, Apple fanatics would tell you what a great turd it was. I think Apple has created their first big loser. BASE price $499??????

AT&T really lost it on the iPhone deal. Apple came out the big winner there.

The "rumors" are that Apple is talking with Verizon about an exclusive 3G deal.

Verizon's network is CDMA not GSM.

Yes it is. But, their 3G network is the largest in the US. And, unlike AT&T's it works!

Now it appears that AT&T is making big promises to Apple. It is so great to see Ma Bell having her strings pulled for a change!

Since the iPad has yet to ship, and Apple is used to shipping factory direct, specs can change at a moments notice.

1 - You don't HAVE to buy it.

2 - As you might know there are plenty of apps available on which you can read PDFs or any other kind of ebook format for the Iphone/Ipod Touch, so they will also be available for the Ipad.

And the advantage of Windows :D

* Need to buy proprietary USB and card reader adapters. An insulting ploy by marketing to screw a few more bucks out of the customer.

especially because Apple is a Non Profit company

Hello Mr Apple Fan Boy. If you could spare a minute from your blind worship of Steve Jobs behind and divert some cycles to your brain, you might care to:

* Read my original post, which doesn't talk about appliances, apps, iPods or PDFs, its actually about *user data*.

* Consider the possibility that some people use more than one operating system, and that there are actually alternatives to Windows and Macs.

'You don't have to buy it' ... is that your idea of intelligent analysis :)

Hehe, I like the thing, and.....I only use Apple computers. If that makes me an Apple Fanboy, no problem.

I find their OS better than Windows, and linux, and unix. I prefer iwork to office, safari to internet explorer, etc.

The ipad could be very usefull for surfing the web, sending emails, reading ebooks, etc. "on the road"

btw no need to become rude, not everybody can be as intelligent as you

the apple fanboy :)