Apple Ipad

Goshawk

If you were coming sooner I'd pay you a fee for bringing it to Thailand for me. But Im hoping to get one long before July 1st.

My mother is going to Thailand May 14 but she has stuff spewing out of her suitcase already.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MBK had a few last night. I could only find 16GB and best I could bargain to was 28k Baht. I'll probably get the biggest 3G when it comes out for regular use, but I couldn't wait.

I am not the least bit dissapointed. This thing is AWESOME. Where to begin?

-how gorgeous the display is cannot be overstated

-surfing the web is so different and so much more fun

-I will probably prefer this to newspapers and books

I could go on and on and on. This is a definite game changer. It will grow exponentially more awesome as better and better apps come out. I found one that already changed my life and has paid for this device itself:

I'm a photographer and I suck at Photoshop and generally hate everything aside from taking pictures: looking for the good photos, manipulating them, uploading them etc. An app called Photogene I bought fo $3.99 makes all of that super easy, fast and incredibly FUN on the iPad. My productivity is going to go through the roof.

Best word to describe this: FUN. Though as has been said, you probably don't need one - at least not yet :)

Thanon. Is it true that there are no tabs in Safari? Seems weird. Like they've just dumped the iPhone apps onto the iPad. Can't imagine browsing without tabs anymore, like going back in time 3 or 4 years. Also, is the email app the same as the iPhone that you cannot create different folders and create rules to move different types of emails to different folders?

Thanon. Is it true that there are no tabs in Safari? Seems weird. Like they've just dumped the iPhone apps onto the iPad. Can't imagine browsing without tabs anymore, like going back in time 3 or 4 years. Also, is the email app the same as the iPhone that you cannot create different folders and create rules to move different types of emails to different folders?

No tabs, similar to iPhone browsing but better. It does not instantly load pages and if you have it tilted to one side and click a link it does not default to the standard view. Tabs would be a huge improvement though.

Regarding the rules thing, It appears to be just a fleshed out version of the iPhone email app. The inbox floats off to the left with the message to the right, blown up. Email could also use improving though The keyboard is pretty small so its not going to be great for bulk email handling. Keyboard is far, far, far superior to that of the iPhone, but not near as good as a laptop either.

dam_n I can't figure out how to delete photo's. This would seriously suck. If anybody can figure out how to do that please let me know. I wanted to just mass import all of my photo's and quickly remove the ones that are blurry or unusable and work with what is left over - particularly to save storage space.

My understanding is that presently [fix required I think] you can only delete downloaded [to iPad] images via iTunes from your workstation. You can delete locally generated content though.

HTH

Regards

PS Logically I guess if you 'touch and save' locally that would invoke delete functionality

Edited by A_Traveller

TF, would be interested in hearing your view on using the iPad outdoors, especially on a day as sunny and bright as today.

I had access to a pre-production model for a short period to assist in a review. I was looking at it as a business tool and, to be honest found the lack of multi-tasking [no Flash either] a deal killer. The screen, as noted looks lovely but HD, not really, and though not work per se, clearly the use of mini-sim and specific codecs for video [it is after all a media consumption device] are commercial decisions by Apple which are a limiting factor, in my view.

Regards

edit Typo/

Edited by A_Traveller

Wish I could tell you, I have been up all night playing with my new best friend :)

I may step out in a little while, will report back if I do, hopefully from my iPad if I can figure out this MyWi tethering thing (turns your iPhone into a 3G Wireless hotspot evidently - may eliminate my need to buy the 3G version)

MBK had a few last night. I could only find 16GB and best I could bargain to was 28k Baht. I'll probably get the biggest 3G when it comes out for regular use, but I couldn't wait.

$300 extra - not too bad considering it's going to be officially $100 extra for sure, so you only paid 200 to be the first one.

Considering how efficient the grey market worked for 2G iPhones, I think the only thing that will prevent prices from dropping will be limited supplies. And Apple would be wise to start selling it everywhere immediately.

Ebay prices seem to be $630 + $70 shipping... dam_n I guess I have to wait for the 3G version, I really want mobile internet. To me that's the thing that will take it from really cool to magical.

Edited by nikster

Wish I could tell you, I have been up all night playing with my new best friend :)

I may step out in a little while, will report back if I do, hopefully from my iPad if I can figure out this MyWi tethering thing (turns your iPhone into a 3G Wireless hotspot evidently - may eliminate my need to buy the 3G version)

Let us know how you get on with MyWi. I am actually connected to my notebook at the moment using it. You may need to turn bluettooth and USB tethering off.

As far as I know, noone has actually confirmed that MyWi works with the ipad but it is hard to see why it wouldnt.

Personally I think it is a far better solution for Thailand than 3G + Wifi version of the ipad. Tethering is free here and I bet it will be at least another 6 months before you can actually buy a micro sim in any case.

I read about tethering on macrumors.com - it's working for lots of people. I haven't been able to figure it out yet.

Outside was great other than the gawkers. This thing is comfortable and appropriate anywhere. Screen is so damned bright sun didn't make it much harder to see at all.

Thanks for that. As noted I don't have one in my hand now, and it was one of those grey days when I did. Have to say that a couple of colleagues in LA aren't so sold on the screen as you, at least when working outside, finding it troublesome so they comment.

Regards

Edited by A_Traveller

Oh yes and if I ever leave the house and forget this, it will surely ruin my day. I can't fathom a taxi ride or trip to the islands without it after having it for just 12 (sleepless) hours.

Im so jealous but 28k is almost double price, the 16g is 15,000 baht in the states. dam_n

Oh yes and if I ever leave the house and forget this, it will surely ruin my day. I can't fathom a taxi ride or trip to the islands without it after having it for just 12 (sleepless) hours.

Im so jealous but 28k is almost double price, the 16g is 15,000 baht in the states. dam_n

I think you need an iPad so you may have a calculator :)

550 U.S. dollars = 17 798.2008 Thai baht says Google. The extra 50 is tax, in CA at least it's 9.5%. 18 k baht then, and he paid 28k which is $300 more, or $200 if you consider the likely selling price here. They're not gonna make it cheaper than in the USA.

I have a friend who'd send me one via USPS but I think the 3G will be totally worth it. It's just a matter of can I wait that much longer :D Perhaps not.

I was going to say there are no supply issues but the Apple online store has a 5-7 business days wait for the iPad. I better get my order in fast...

Why would Thailand officially add $100? The iphone is actually cheaper here not more expensive for factory unlocked versions. The price is the price if being sold officially, they only make it more expensive at unofficial retailers.

Gut feeling - there will be a markup, just guessing it's going to be $50 - $100. Looked at the MacBook and accounting for US tax there's only a ~1500 baht difference between the USA and here despite the strong Baht, so maybe I am wrong. Thailand is much better than Europe or the UK, those always pay through the nose for Apple stuff. IMO a self-defeating strategy but ok.

There is no unlocked iPhone in the USA so not sure you can compare. They're now selling a contract-less iPhone but it's still locked to AT&T. Anyway nothing to do with the iPad...

Ya Im confident the ipad will be almost identical in price once officially released. Maybe I'm just super optimistic, pointless though cause there is no way I'm waiting the 6 months or whatever its going to take to get here officially... trying to come up with a plan. Might take a trip home.

Apple will sell the 3G version on release probably through True or DTAC I would imagine. True will release the micro-sim for the 3G version if the contract is done with them.

Not really bothered about the 3G version as will use MyWi on the iphone 3gs (3G True) for data so don't need to pay for iphone plan and ipad data plan.

Edited by negreanu

Thanks for that. As noted I don't have one in my hand now, and it was one of those grey days when I did. Have to say that a couple of colleagues in LA aren't so sold on the screen as you, at least when working outside, finding it troublesome so they comment.

Regards

I would go with what they said. I did not spend much time using it in direct sunlight, that was just my first impression. I did use it an outdoor restaurant under an umbrella for like an hour and it was the same as using it at home.

Which stores name and rough location at MBK have stock of the Ipad 16gb?

Cheers.

Daniel Negreanu? lol

No stores have them, just the black market cell phone dealers on the 4th floor. Ask anybody who has lots of iPhones or a huge iMac or something. Two nights ago when I was there 80% of people said they did not have them yet (after correcting me at least three times by saying 'iPod? iPod? iPod?') and the people that did had to go get one from somebody else. Very limited supply. I would imagine there are more now though as that was literally the first night they had them in MBK (I went every previous day since release in the USA).

Edited by ThanonFarang

Daniel Negreanu... :)

Yeh knew they would be grey imports on 4th floor. Guess there will be some more imports on the 4th floor by the weekend. Will go pick up a couple then as fedex has probably delivered to a few more today and tomorrow to the stores of the forward thinking.

Edited by negreanu

Just saw a Tuk Tuk on Silom Rd with an ad on the back selling iPad's for 18,xxx Baht

fuc_k me...

No worries...I'd wager that if you went to the advertised shop, you'd find that the box had the Apple logo in the wrong colour and the manual was in really bad Engrish. It's didn't take long for Chinese sweatshops to start turning out iPones. Or should that be iPhoneys.

Bet they have an advert set up in the booth that goes something like:

Today of the Mobile computing of splendid iPat enjoy the world. Your life never for the second time is not the same!