Since Moving To Thailand, Do You Like Thai Food More?

Jingthing

Does familiarity breed contempt?  

67 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was thinking about this the other day. The way I feel about Thai food is different than I felt before I moved here. Actual Thai food in Thailand is different than most Thai food in my home country. There I used to cook some Thai dishes at home to avoid paying the high restaurant prices; here I never cook Thai food at home, it is so good and cheap to eat it out. It is certainly not a special occasion to have it, more like everyday or so. However, bottom line I like Thai food about the SAME as before. Thai food was never among my top favorite food type (it was always more second tier) and it still is not among my favorites. (My favorites happen to be Chinese, Indian, and Mexican.) However I still love it and am very happy to have it so easily available in Thailand. But I think I would be even happier with the local food in Sechuan province China, ha ha.

So, how about you? Has living in Thailand made you like Thai food more, the same, or less?

No poll options here for non-expats, as the question simply only applies to people with the experience of living here awhile.

Edited by Jingthing

I have to say, that I changed from a sometimes khao phat/gai pat met mamuang/bai graprow moo... guy to a fully blown Thai food and especially Thai seafood lover.

Wonder however, if Jingthing is making a psychological analysis of the members here based on his uncountable polls.

Edited by Birdman

I was used to eating all kinds of good American and ethnic foods in San Francisco which has some of the best restaurants in the world and I have never been crazy about Thai food - even now. However, when I first came here there was nothing else to eat and I hated the stuff. I was always traveling to Vietnam and Singapore just to have some decent food.

Eventually we started getting some good Japanese restaurants and decent Western places and now the town is full of all kinds of foreign restaurants and some are very good.

I have lived here a long time and have found some Thai dishes that I don't mind and most of the vegetarian restaurants use more Westen vegetables which I prefer, so now I enjoy Thai food a little bit. However, I rather have Japanese or Chinese or Mexican if it is prepared the way I like it.

I have to say, that I changed from a sometimes khao phat/gai pat met mamuang/bai graprow moo... guy to a fully blown Thai food and especially Thai seafood lover.

Wonder however, if Jingthing is making a psychological analysis of the members here based on his uncountable polls.

Pad graprow is the food of the Gods. Wonder no more. Nope.

Edited by Jingthing

i like it more here, probably because the ingredients are more fresh or maybe they didn't use all the right ingredients abroad, i don't know, however here it tastes better and i also had the chance to try a bigger variety of what i could find in Europe, the funny thing is that back home was so easy to find a smoked chinese tea and here that China is so close, impossible to find....i know i went a bit off topic but it a curious thing

Have to admit I dont enjoy too much - and in particular when I am forced to eat at some street vendor.

In the evening, watching those moths and other flying nasties, whizz around the flourescent lighting,

bounce off, and dive bomb straight into a wok of pad thai.

Suppose they should charge me extra!

I knew nothing, before I came here. Now I hate it worse.

Beg your pardon to ask, PB, but do you feel alright in Thailand? Or do you think the countries South of the USA, you also always mention in many other threads concerning many other issues, were a better place for you to live?

Edited by Birdman

I've never seen nothin' in thai restaurants outside of Thailand that resembles the cuisine that I have encountered while in country...indeed, the wife calls the foreign thai food 'chinese food'...so it's 'apples and oranges', two different things...

some of the local food that I've had in food stalls is nice: larb, muu daeng, kweiteo, etc. but I can't eat the stuff that is prepared at home which is mostly pig offal (I hate fat and gristle), stinking little bony fishes and horrible smelling stuff like gaeng som...comfort food for my wife and family...

I'd like to see some SF restauranteur have the courage to include some of those items on his menu :)

In the US (California) I had no problem at all getting Thai dishes that were very similar to food in Thailand. There are groceries there packed with Thai imported food to cook with as well. Larb is very common in Thai restaurants in the US. Of course some of the typical foods are not usually on menus there, like some you mentioned. I was surprised to find yen ta fo in San Francisco, the first time I had seen it in the US, maybe more places now. One of the best spicy pork neck salads I ever had was at a Thai place in the tenderloin of San Francisco (SF's small Thaitown). A friend in Atlanta tells me there is a place doing boat noodles with pork blood there (they are also doing yen ta fo and those street curry mousses wrapped in banana leaf). Of course you can't just go to any old place, you have to do a little research first.

Of course the general experiences of Thai food is different between countries, but at least in some major US cities it isn't difficult at all to find some pretty dam_n near authentic Thai food.

Edited by Jingthing

In the US (California) I had no problem at all getting Thai dishes that were very similar to food in Thailand. There are groceries there packed with Thai imported food to cook with as well. Larb is very common in Thai restaurants in the US. Of course some of the typical foods are not usually on menus there, like some you mentioned. I was surprised to find yen ta fo in San Francisco, the first time I had seen it in the US, maybe more places now. One of the best spicy pork neck salads I ever had was at a Thai place in the tenderloin of San Francisco (SF's small Thaitown). A friend in Atlanta tells me there is a place doing boat noodles with pork blood there. Of course you can't just go to any old place, you have to do a little research first.

Of course the general experiences of Thai food is different between countries, but at least in some major US cities it isn't difficult at all to find some pretty dam_n near authentic Thai food.

In Europe Thai food is improving from the standard westernised Thai food to authentic Thai food nowadays. A good thing indeed. And a nice aspect of the age of Aquarius (= globalism).

When I first moved here I couldn't get enough of it, I ate nothing else for the first 6 months now I rarely touch it!

Like the OP I love Indian curries, Mexican also GOOD Italian, Le Spice next to the night bazaar does (in my opinion) a very good curry, with nan etc. Had an 'alright' Mexican can't remember where :) . When I lived in BKK I used Market Villa who stocked good brands of Mexican ingredients and made pots of chilli-con-carne!

Tried a few Italians they have all been acceptable, I like to go to Vientiane definitely better food with the French influence.

I have given up attempting to get a decent steak here, I think it because of the way the meat is butchered?

That's good to hear. I get the impression though that continentals in general are more spice phobic in general than Americans and Brits.

There is spicy food in Europe as well. A Hungarian Puszta Salad for instance (...could be a far relative of Som Tam)

Apart from that, more and more simple born and raised Thais move to Europe than ever before and bring their authentic food along, while simultaneously many Europeans, who made holidays in T since decades and therefore overcame their scepsis regarding simple market restaurants and simple authentic Thai food already, appreciate that in Europe as well nowadays.

When I first moved here I couldn't get enough of it, I ate nothing else for the first 6 months now I rarely touch it!

Like the OP I love Indian curries, Mexican also GOOD Italian, Le Spice next to the night bazaar does (in my opinion) a very good curry, with nan etc. Had an 'alright' Mexican can't remember where :D . When I lived in BKK I used Market Villa who stocked good brands of Mexican ingredients and made pots of chilli-con-carne!

Tried a few Italians they have all been acceptable, I like to go to Vientiane definitely better food with the French influence.

I have given up attempting to get a decent steak here, I think it because of the way the meat is butchered?

I eat chilled Australian and/or New Zealand tenderloin and/or ribeye at least once a week, great stuff. Getting back to Thai food I have to say that after 20 years nothing surprises me when the missus cooks up a storm. Some of it I can handle and some of it I can't. All in all I am fairly content with most types of Thai food. :)

Yes I've made a point over the past sixty days of re-adjusting to spicy food, because I want to be ready in case I meet some good people who might invite me to dinner.

Now that I'm all happy with the food and what was once paet is not that paet anymore, but I have no friends, I revert to KFC.

Under the moonlight the serious moonlight! I run alone and who cares what the dickens?

May as well eat dirt.

What do you mean by "Thai food"? Thailand has several widely varying regions with respect to food. So which is it?

People who have eaten Thai food in the majority of restaurants have never eaten Thai food. Thai style food yes but the real McCoy, unlikely.

Folks who are married to Thais are very likely to have eaten very close to the real deal but usually only that from her home region.

Can't comment about those who cook their own as it depends on too many variables.

I love most Thai food but it has to be the rough stuff, plenty of plaa raa. I'm not keen on restaurant food as it tends to be bland. My Thai missus was always moaning when we went to restaurants as I was always asking for khaw niaow and plaa raa. But the northestern style of eating is more my line. None of this sitting with plates, forks and spoons. Get the stuff onto the table and get stuck in.

Oh. and some Lao khaw to wash it down with.

But I have to say I'm not too keen on meng daa :) , tried it a few times and can confirm that fried giant bugs taste like sh1t! The locusts are okay if washed down with beer or the feet and wing cases get stuck between your teeth. Any pupae aren't bad but the chilli tends to wipe out the flavour and the dancing prawns (goong xxxxxx - can't remember) are good provided you don't mind your food crawling around your mouth.

Thai food anyone?

But the northestern style of eating is more my line. None of this sitting with plates, forks and spoons. Get the stuff onto the table and get stuck in.

So how do you manage a soup or any sort of "watery" meals? ....straws anyone? :)

Edited to add some html code to higlight text and re-edited to write down this note

Edited by surayu

I dont eat sea food anymore since i,m here..think i over dosed on it living in greece and i avoid resteraunts as i just dont enjoy the food in them, I,m very addicted to street food and eat almost anything apart from the sea food or kung, I tried almost everything here but some things i dont need to try a second time....rat for instance left a taste in my mouth which stayed for 2-3 days

.rat for instance left a taste in my mouth which stayed for 2-3 days

That's interesting. It is true some foods stick with you, but 2-3 days is extreme. In my experience, goat meat (which I like a lot) is the stickiest, at least a day. I have never seen goat meat in Thailand, even at places that should have it, like Indian restaurants.

Edited by Jingthing

I love Thai food! My wife is a excellent cook. I have been living here now 8 years but since a year ago finding I had high blood pressure and 3 months ago finding my blood fat levels were too high I have made some changes to my diet.Thai food is FULL of salt (fact). Thais eat far too much salt so it goes hand in hand that we would too. I have reduced my salt intake to virtually nil. Thats added salt whether it was a from a stock cube, Nam pla, oyster sause, soy sause etc. My blood pressure levels retuned to normal!Actually even better than normal! Salt is a killer.To replace the salt and still keep my food tasty I eat fresh veg ,yes some lean meat but add loads of ginger, garlic and onion and chilli. It works for me. The high fat levels I have'nt rechecked yet but now cook with Canola oil, use olive oil on my bread and spuds(the light type)..I always eat lots of fruit whatever is in season.So although Thai food is lovely the salt with the SMG could be killing you and not the beer!lol..Hope this is not too much off topic. Have a great day Dave

.rat for instance left a taste in my mouth which stayed for 2-3 days

That's interesting. It is true some foods stick with you, but 2-3 days is extreme. In my experience, goat meat (which I like a lot) is the stickiest, at least a day. I have never seen goat meat in Thailand, even at places that should have it, like Indian restaurants.

Had goat meat at a Mexican wedding way up in the Guadalajara Mountains. Slow-cooked all day with chili peppers, onions, and other spices. Excellent! Yeah, Thais don't seem to eat it here.