Comprehensive List Of Scams In Phuket/thailand.

NamKangMan

This seems more like an opportunist robbery. I was talking about an accident that has been staged purely for serious criminal intent.

A bit like the case reported in the local paper a while back. an airline pilot had a bad motorcycle accident, a

Thai person stopped to help and used his phone to call a ambulance and then shot through with his phone.

Thats not a scam that's straight out theft.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not sure if this can be considered a scam but could certainly have deadly serious consequences. I have often thought about driving on a fairly lonely road at night to be confronted with an accident scene & upon stopping to assist you get rushed by a group who demand your valuables. If you are lucky you drive away intact. Does this happen in Phuket? I am 100% sure it does.

yes, there have been a few reports on road accidents (light rearending) after midnight followed by robbery, most in the bypass/chao Fa west close to Central area. But this is much more common in the west. Americans introduced auto central locking late 80s due to theft of first car stopping on red lights and robberys

This seems more like an opportunist robbery. I was talking about an accident that has been staged purely for serious criminal intent.

A bit like the case reported in the local paper a while back. an airline pilot had a bad motorcycle accident, a

Thai person stopped to help and used his phone to call a ambulance and then shot through with his phone.

Thats not a scam that's straight out theft.

Fortunately the airlinepilot can walk again, met him at Phuket Bike week in April.

The few incidents of rearending I was talking about seem well planned, leaving very little damage, on a well lit road making drivers dare to stop, aimed at single female drivers, and rob them. My ex GF and I had just discussed this when it happened to her driving my Vigo. She put it in reverse, increased the damage on both vehicles and took off to policestation. Just glad she didnt shoot them

But again, nothing compared to most other places in the world.

Thank you to the past four or five posters for veering the buttock clenchingly tedious topic on 'how many kilos on the airports scales'. Albeit your posts were almost as inane.

Edited by evanson

Not sure if this can be considered a scam but could certainly have deadly serious consequences. I have often thought about driving on a fairly lonely road at night to be confronted with an accident scene & upon stopping to assist you get rushed by a group who demand your valuables. If you are lucky you drive away intact. Does this happen in Phuket? I am 100% sure it does.

Well, I would class this as robbery, but, I have been told that you don't stop to help at any accident scene in Thailand (as bad as that sounds) because the fault of the accident can be placed on you - and you were not even in the accident.

I have no first hand experience of this and I have only heard this around a few bar conversations. If someone knows more about this, I would be happy to hear of their experience.

Thank you to the past four or five posters for veering the buttock clenchingly tedious topic on 'how many kilos on the airports scales'. Albeit your posts were almost as inane.

Always happy to entertain you Evanson. Remember to keep a few baht on you at the airport when you are exiting next time, you'll need it.

400 passangers in a jumbo, one kg wrong on each passangers baggage, thats 400 kg wrong, dangerous to air safety???? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

these scales have a tough job, scaling thousands of time a day. either one could be 7% wrong, or your friends bag could contain a wet towel scaling in Phuket

There are scams in OZ and scams in Phuket, but this one a scam?? :rolleyes:

Based on your calculations, if an airline is 400 kgs incorrect on there take off weight, and you don't think that is/could be an issue - ok. BUT, I'm sure 400 kgs, that don't really exist, is a good money spinner.

On visa runs, I don't take much at all, so, it's never been an issue for me, but, I will now check it out and let everyone know.

As far as a "wet towel" - his hotel has towels in the room, changed every day, so, definately not a wet towel in his bag.

If one kg wrong scale on luggage would be a safety issue, every airline would need to scale their passangers too, before and after having Burger King in airport or drinking one litre of water (yes, thats one kg)

I can understand the thought of scam for an Airline charging for only one kg overweight, personally I would have removed one kg from my checked in luggage. Or just hold the foot under the scale to adjust to 14 kg.

I can not understand a customer not accepting the scale in OZ or in Phuket is 1 kg incorrect, if any of them ever where. We are all happy your personal home scale is more correct.

If exactly the same items where in the suitcase, 7% increase of weight could be due to dirty humid clothes.

You have developed your scam thread to a joke, not containing any scams any more:jap:

I believe it has more to do with the distribution of the weight - not whether the plane can fly with this extra weight, as we all know, of course it still can.

The freight and luggage are distrubted in the hull, evenly.

Anyway, the subject has digressed. The question is whether the scales at Phuket Airport are accurate - or have been calibrated to "read up" 1 kg extra, for everyone, everytime. As mentioned, my friend had to pay up for excess baggage with the same bag that was 15 kgs out of Australia. Humidity and dirt - possible. A kilo of it - doubtful.

When I do my next visa run, I will weigh my bag on my home scales, then check the bag in at Phuket Airport and then check it in at the other airport to come home. That's three different scales at three different locations. I am not due for my visa run for a while.

Always happy to entertain you Evanson. Remember to keep a few baht on you at the airport when you are exiting next time, you'll need it.

I won't. I only ever take one bag carry on, wherever I fly:)

Iceman:

This is too important an issue to wait for your next visa run.

Flying safety and the integrity of Thai airports are at stake.

Therefore, I volunteer to check it out with 15kg and 20kg dry weights (since your firend's baggage was within that weight range).

Yes, I read the thread in full, carefully. I noted the observation that a single company controls the scales.

But, from a scientific viewpoint, it is better to take a sample measurement from several scales than to rely on just one.

While I am not a Thai apologist, I feel there is a tendency to assume the worst with Thais and Thailand on this Forum.

So I seriously doubt there is a systematic scale scam. But I will observe the scales objectively and report back in a few days.

TN

Iceman:

Therefore, I volunteer to check it out with 15kg and 20kg dry weights (since your firend's baggage was within that weight range).

Yes, I read the thread in full, carefully. I noted the observation that a single company controls the scales.

But, from a scientific viewpoint, it is better to take a sample measurement from several scales than to rely on just one.

While I am not a Thai apologist, I feel there is a tendency to assume the worst with Thais and Thailand on this Forum.

So I seriously doubt there is a systematic scale scam. But I will observe the scales objectively and report back in a few days.

TN

Dear TaoNow

Thank you so much for investigating this serious risk of Phuket airsafety and the risk of being scammed in Phuket.:jap:

Thanks KBB but, upon reflection, I've decided that this alleged scam is not feasible.

All the airlines would have to play along with the corrupt, scale-scamming company since the airlines are the ones who collect the overweight fines (presumably to compensate them for the excess fuel consumption).

Thus, each airline would have to agree to kick back a percentage of the overweight fine to the scale company. This is not feasible since it would take only one honest defector to blow the whistle on this scam.

Instead, I propose that passengers be charged for THEIR overweightedness.

In this proposal, fliers would have to stand on the scales at check-in and if their BMI (body mass index) was greater than the WHO recommended value, then they would pay a fine in proportion to their obesity.

That would help keep the planes airworthy and help reduce air fares overall.

Just IMHO...

Thanks KBB but, upon reflection, I've decided that this alleged scam is not feasible.

All the airlines would have to play along with the corrupt, scale-scamming company since the airlines are the ones who collect the overweight fines (presumably to compensate them for the excess fuel consumption).

Thus, each airline would have to agree to kick back a percentage of the overweight fine to the scale company. This is not feasible since it would take only one honest defector to blow the whistle on this scam.

Instead, I propose that passengers be charged for THEIR overweightedness.

In this proposal, fliers would have to stand on the scales at check-in and if their BMI (body mass index) was greater than the WHO recommended value, then they would pay a fine in proportion to their obesity.

That would help keep the planes airworthy and help reduce air fares overall.

Just IMHO...

yes it would be a difficult scam with so many involved, but still Iceman is a strong believer of this scam so never know

I would also suggest a overweight tax in Phuket on all beverages and food in airport, called Phuket Scamtax, to cover increased weight of passengers daring to eat or drink after scaling on check in

• 1 month later...

Phuket Airport Meter Taxi Scam

Took a meter taxi from HKT airport the other day. Thought I was scam-proof after being here for many years. Well, went up to the kiosk and the lady gave me a receipt with the taxi number as per usual. Same same as always. Get on the road to Patong and ask the driver to put the meter on. "Not working today". Once he arrived at my villa and after I told him that I take a taxi from the airport once a week (thus knowing the exact fare to the nearest 10 baht), he suddenly wasn't smiling anymore.

Thought about reporting him, but what's the use?

Phuket Airport Meter Taxi Scam

Took a meter taxi from HKT airport the other day. Thought I was scam-proof after being here for many years. Well, went up to the kiosk and the lady gave me a receipt with the taxi number as per usual. Same same as always. Get on the road to Patong and ask the driver to put the meter on. "Not working today". Once he arrived at my villa and after I told him that I take a taxi from the airport once a week (thus knowing the exact fare to the nearest 10 baht), he suddenly wasn't smiling anymore.

Thought about reporting him, but what's the use?

That reminds me. I was recently taking a meter taxi from Phuket airport to Patong, just passing the freight terminal and I realised the meter was obscured by a small bag/pouch. I told him to set the meter, he moved the bag to reveal it was already showing 92 baht .... git!!

He reset the meter and, in vain, tried to make polite conversation during the journey.

His loss; no tip. .. and I thought they were the good guys!!

Iceman:

TN

Dear TaoNow

Thank you so much for investigating this serious risk of Phuket airsafety and the risk of being scammed in Phuket.:jap:

You are wasting your time KBB, you and i and most other people know there is no risk to air safety and we are not being scammed with the airport scales

• 1 year later...

I think if I run into one of these ATM scammer guys the first thing I'm gonna do is break out the phone camera and say "can I take your picture"?

That's what I did.

Edited by sbk

Fake monks? We get the occasional lone "monk" calling out from the gate & asking for money supposedly to help the temple. I am not sure if this is an authorised procedure for monks to be doing.

Another one is the so called "deaf & dumb" who plonk themselves down at your table while eating in a restaurant & present a card for you to read which basically states their "disability" & asking for a donation. Aside from the fact they are always well dressed & look healthy I find the practice rude & annoying.

Here they are..

LAEM CHABANG: -- Begging proves to be a lucrative occupation. A couple admitted to posing as blind beggars who beg for money from patrons of restaurants in Laem Chabang area. They make more than 100,000 baht a month.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/530749-thai-couple-poses-as-blind-beggars-earn-over-bt100000-a-month/

I think if I run into one of these ATM scammer guys the first thing I'm gonna do is break out the phone camera and say "can I take your picture"?

I may be better to just smile and walk away, and when out of their view, or the focus of their attention has shifted, observe them, and call the police. They need to be caught. This shouldn't place you in any danger, and if they move on before police arrive, you may still get a licence plate number on a bike or car etc.

I think taking their picture will just alert them to the fact you know they are committing a crime, and they will just move to a different location.

Problem is they did not do anything wrong to you. And it is very doubtful there will be enough to arrest them on from other victims.

Their actions, as reported to police by you, will give "probable cause" to police to detain, question and search them. Hopefully, they would then find the data capture device, blank cards, laptop etc. Then, search their hotel room for more evidence.

Problem is they did not do anything wrong to you. And it is very doubtful there will be enough to arrest them on from other victims.

Their actions, as reported to police by you, will give "probable cause" to police to detain, question and search them. Hopefully, they would then find the data capture device, blank cards, laptop etc. Then, search their hotel room for more evidence.

Do you really think that the police will detain, question and search somebody because you told them they asked you whether you forgot a 1,000 Baht note at the ATM machine? Your only hope is they are here illegally, then police might take action.

But no chance of that happening as well, by the time police arrives they are long, long gone. And police won't do a search on motorbike plates if all they have on them is really nothing.

Edited by stevenl

Do you really think that the police will detain, question and search somebody because you told them they asked you whether you forgot a 1,000 Baht note at the ATM machine? Your only hope is they are here illegally, then police might take action.

But no chance of that happening as well, by the time police arrives they are long, long gone. And police won't do a search on motorbike plates if all they have on them is really nothing.

You are going to tell the police, "That man try skim my ATM card - so I call police." What happens after that will depend on what sort of police officer you get - whether he is lazy, or not.

Gee, it sounds a lot like you are "moaning" about the lack of police action in these circumstances. :) :) :) :)

Given what you say, may happen, what is the purpose of you taking a photo then????

You are going to tell the police, "That man try skim my ATM card - so I call police." What happens after that will depend on what sort of police officer you get - whether he is lazy, or not.

Gee, it sounds a lot like you are "moaning" about the lack of police action in these circumstances. smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

Given what you say, may happen, what is the purpose of you taking a photo then????

Just scare them of by taking a photo of them.

I'm simply saying there is nothing the police can do. Also because they can't be there in time.

Oh, and BTW, I'm not going into a discussion with you here on this. Wouldn't want to meddle with your thread :)

Edited by stevenl

@ stevenl

Doing something is better than doing nothing, so, on that basis, taking a photo is fine. Of course, you could simply say to him, "<deleted> off before I call the police." Both of these actions will let him know, that you know, what he is doing.

I agree with what you say about the police here. Would it be considered a "moan" if I was to say that is another negative about living on Phuket, an inept police force? :) (let's not get into it) :)

Your thread alerted members to one MO (modus Operandi) that the skimmers are using on the unsuspecting public and tourists. I also posted some information as to what to look out for by way of the skimmer's "hardware."

Due to the general lack of police interest in doing their duty here, prevention is the only thing one can do to prevent becoming a victim of this scam. Your thread educated many of us on what to look out for.

These forums are a great educational tool for those seeking to learn about the good, and the bad, on Phuket, that's if one actually concedes there is some "bad" here to learn about. :) :) :) :)

I agree with what you say about the police here. Would it be considered a "moan" if I was to say that is another negative about living on Phuket, an inept police force? smile.png (let's not get into it) smile.png

I did say nothing specifically about the police force here, nor did I accuse them of being inept, lazy, or other words you have used.

So nice to hear you agree with me, but you really don't know what you agree with.

I agree with what you say about the police here. Would it be considered a "moan" if I was to say that is another negative about living on Phuket, an inept police force? smile.png (let's not get into it) smile.png

I did say nothing specifically about the police force here, nor did I accuse them of being inept, lazy, or other words you have used.

So nice to hear you agree with me, but you really don't know what you agree with.

Of course, you never post anything "specifically" criticising anything about Phuket, but we can all read between the lines of your posts.

Edited by LivinginKata
inflammatory comment removed

Of course, you never post anything "specifically" criticising anything about Phuket, but we can all read between the lines of your posts.

Maybe you can read between the lines (I am honoured to hear you're discussing my posts with others so you can say 'we all'), but you have either followed the wrong lines or come to the wrong conclusion.

Last time I was in Patong (2007), I was approached by a middle aged Brit clutching a script and nursing a bandaged knee. It was along the beach opposite Bangla Rd. He said he had run out of cash and was doing it rough waiting for his return flight in 2 days time to get back home. He hurt his knee in a motorbike accident and it got badly infected but could not afford the medicine. He asked for 500 thb to get the medicine and to tide him over.

10 years ago, I had the same scam pulled on me in India and there was something NQR about this guy.

I suggested we go to a short time hotel, have a bit of fun and I would give him 500thb. He began to hobble off, funny his hobble became a lot better when I started to follow him.

I went off to Krabi and a few Islands for the next week.

Saw him again on my return, he scarpered.....don't know why?

• 2 months later...

This thread is now over 2 years old and due to the sad fact that all of the scams, rip offs and extortions mentioned in this thread still exist here, and have got even worse, I'll bump this thread back onto the front page for the benefit of any new comers to this forum or Phuket or Thailand. :) :)

I would have liked to announce that some of these scams have been "cleaned up" by now. However, people selling flowers at traffic light intersections has been identified as a major threat to tourism on the island and is taking up significant police resources. They will get around "cleaning up" what is causing the most negative impact to the majority of tourist here, one of these years. :) :) :) :)