PM Abhisit says Thaksin must forego Thai citizenship

webfact

Abhisit says Thaksin must forego Thai citizenship if he becomes Cambodian

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said Friday that former prime Thaksin Shinawatra will have to forego his Thai citizenship if he wants to become a Cambodian citizen.

Abhsiit was commenting on reports that Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen would give Cambodian citizenship to Thaksin.

Abhsit said he has not been formally informed of Thaksin being naturalized Cambodian.

"But by the standard of Thai laws, a Thai citizen must hold a single citizenship. If he wants to become a Cambodian citizen, he must forego the Thai citizenship," Abhisit said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-02-05

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's strange.

There a many Thais who have dual citizenship without problems, though not officially allowed by law it is also not forbidden (as far as I know).

Mr. T. has already passports of some other countries so why was he not required to give up his Thai citizenship before.

Though I support our PM in general I think it has something to do with the fact that the country in question is Cambodia.

opalhort

That's strange.

There a many Thais who have dual citizenship without problems, though not officially allowed by law it is also not forbidden (as far as I know).

Mr. T. has already passports of some other countries so why was he not required to give up his Thai citizenship before.

Though I support our PM in general I think it has something to do with the fact that the country in question is Cambodia.

opalhort

I called a friend at a western embassy here in Bkk.

Seems that Thailand has specific agreements with some countries to mutally allow two passports, and Cambodia is not on that list, and not surprising regardless of the current political situation between Thailand and Cambodia.

Edited by scorecard

At the very least this is a reminder to Thai people that Thaksin is a good mate of Cambodia just as Hun Sen intends to stir things up again. At the very least it has PR and popularity affect. To date Thaksin has lost some support becuase of his Cambodia connection but it isnt a huge loss yet. Still the government will take every opportunity as Thai peeple are certainly nationalistic.

That's strange.

opalhort

Almost every country including US have the same rule but they will be able to stop anyone to have dual citizenship. Also not everyone goes and let the homeland know voluntary that they prefer and want another citizenship, like Mr. T. but he already lost the citizenship anyway since will never be able to come back

Hun Sen is causing Thaksin more PR problems that anything at the moment, with the alleged border temple visit invitation and now this.

Not really sure who is using who in this case :)

Maybe the Thai government have finally wised up to the PR game and done a deal with our ex-Khmer Fighter friend?

Edited by sharecropper

...but he already lost the citizenship anyway since will never be able to come back

From a practical standpoint, yes, one could say that. I think his alignment with Hun Sen was a huge misjudgement of Thai sentiment. But technically the only thing that Thaksin has lost so far (besides all credibility) is his diplomatic credentials. That is, his diplomatic passport has been revoked, though I doubt if he has dutifully returned it. He still holds a perfectly valid personal passport, though at the moment there is an arrest warrant attached to it. Even if that passport gets revoked someday, he would still be a Thai citizen, just devoid of travel privilege (except via his myriad other citizenships). Revoking his actual Thai citizenship (involuntarily) is possible and legal but would be a separate act and require the highest of authorities.

hmmm. my son has both thai / british citizenship so does this mean he too has to forego his thai citizenship

i think not!!!

I know a Thai lady who is Austrian now. She had to give back the Thai nationality.

But I am not sure if it was because of Thailand or Austria.

At the very least this is a reminder to Thai people that Thaksin is a good mate of Cambodia just as Hun Sen intends to stir things up again. At the very least it has PR and popularity affect. To date Thaksin has lost some support becuase of his Cambodia connection but it isnt a huge loss yet. Still the government will take every opportunity as Thai peeple are certainly nationalistic.

Yes I recall that it was specially mentioned that some southerners are allowed to have Malaysian and Thai nationality.

If Thaksin's Father was born in Thailand I cannot see how citezenship could be revoked. I thinkrevokation can only be done if the Father was a naturalized thai.

I cannot find any reference for this but my wife says that Thaksin's father was born in China.

Section 15. Section 17 of the Nationality Act 1965 (B.E. 2508) shall be

repealed and replaced by the following:

“Section 17. With respect to a person who has Thai nationality, by reason of

the person having been born within the Kingdom of Thailand to an alien father or

mother, the person’s Thai nationality may be revoked if it appears that:

(1) The person has resided in a foreign country, of which the father or

mother has or used to have nationality, for a consecutive period of

more than five years from the day of the person became sui juris;

(2) There is evidence to show that the person makes use of the

nationality of the father, mother, or of a foreign nationality, or that

the person has an active interest in the nationality of the father,

mother, or in a foreign nationality;

(3) The person commits any act prejudicial to the security or

conflicting with the interests of the State, or amounting to an insult

to the nation;

(4) The person commits any act contrary to public order or good

morals.

Edited by harrry

hmmm. my son has both thai / british citizenship so does this mean he too has to forego his thai citizenship
The son of a friend of mine got a German and Thai passport, but at the age of 18 (still plenty of years to go) he will have to decide, which citizenship he wants to keep. How old is your son?

I think the PM would do himself a big favour by not commenting on what seems to be nearly every single "report" that mentions Thaksin's name or somebody or something connected to him. His words can just give more ammo to the anti-government lot.

Edited by mca

This has nothing to do with Nationality and the person that wrote the article for youe newspaper the Nation should be more thorough instead of spreading gossip.

The Cambodian news link in the Bangkok Post, quite clearly states that he Thaksin was granted Citizenship, NOT change his Nationality. Millions of people in the world have duel citizenship.

Further the Prime Minister of Thailand should read articles before opening his mouth about Nationality when anybody can apply for Citizenship. :D:)

The son of a friend of mine got a German and Thai passport, but at the age of 18 (still plenty of years to go) he will have to decide, which citizenship he wants to keep. How old is your son?

Germany and Austria dont allow dual nationality. When you get a German passport, one of the things you have to do is give up your old one. However, most people then go to there original country, and get a new passport from there, and those countries dont tell the Germans.

Germany changed that rule. Now, children born with dual citizenship do NOT need to give up their German passport upon their 18th birthday anymore (I have 3 kids with dual citizenship german/canadian).

m

There is every possibility that the current Thai PM still has his UK passport/citizenship.

I also think the current government are terrified Thaksin will return here if they really wanted him in jail he would be there.

They are just trying to make him as unpopular as possible before the shit storm on the 26th of February when the high court gives a ruling

I also think the current government are terrified Thaksin will return here if they really wanted him in jail he would be there.

They are just trying to make him as unpopular as possible before the shit storm on the 26th of February when the high court gives a ruling

Absolutely correct, last thing the Thai authorities want is to see Thaksin in Thailand. They definitely don't want him in court because they are too scared he will reveal sensitive information.

There is every possibility that the current Thai PM still has his UK passport/citizenship.

What UK passport/citizenship ? OK, his parents were there when he was born, but they were both Thai, so how could he have acquired the right to UK-citizenship ?

Oh dear, what a "stupid boy".

Another example of abisits Human Rights Abuse.

Add it to the Human Rights Watch charge sheet.

"Being unkind to an on-the-run convicted-criminal former-PM Cambodian-government economic-adviser", a heinous crime indeed, Hang Him High ! :)

Edited by Ricardo

hmmm. my son has both thai / british citizenship so does this mean he too has to forego his thai citizenship i think not!!!

what you think does not really matter. Abhisit talked about thai/cambodian citizenship and not thai/british one. quite a number of countries (e.g. my home country) allow dual nationality only with specific countries.

I am very confused by this subject.

If you do a search and read the material of some of the so called legal experts, you get the following statements;

1. It is unclear exactly what status dual citizenship has in Thai law, though there is at least some recognition

Wow, that's a big frickin help isn't it?

And from Integrity Legal, which describes itself as a Law Firm with offices located in the United States of America and Bangkok, Thailand

2. Some are under the mistaken impression that Thais and Americans cannot have dual nationality. This is not true. There is no provision under Thai law prohibiting dual nationality.

MMkay, so what is the PM on about then?

3. And this statement which appeared in the Phuket Gazette that quotes an unamed immigration official.

"The Thai government does not allow its citizens to hold dual nationalities, except if the other country agrees to grant citizenship to that Thai person, in which case he/she can use that as well. If he/she uses the other citizenship to reside in Thailand, then they will be subject to the laws as they apply to foreigners. If he/she uses the Thai citizenship, they have the same rights as normal Thai citizens.

Saturday, April 25, 2009 A Thai consular official

Does the PM understand the law in this matter?

They definitely don't want him in court because they are too scared he will reveal sensitive information.

I agree that getting Thaksin to appear in court creates almost as many problems as it solves, and so the government might well be simply going through the motions with regards getting him back, but this belief that Thaksin has been holding back all this time with some highly sensitive and incriminating information that can be used against "the enemy" is sadly delusional.

Thaksin cried wolf on that one too many times for anyone, bar his followers, to take him at all seriously.