Ever Accidentally Closed The Browser Window While Typing A Long Post?

welo

I don't understand why you still lost text when you had Lazarus installed. I prefer the Text Area Cache to Lazarus anyway, because it is simpler and does exactly what it's supposed to do (in my case), not less and not more.

If lazarus does not work reliable for you, try the Text Area Cache - you can have both installed if you want, they didn't interfere when I tested them both at the same time.

I kind of forgot about the problem, because I obviously solved it - it didn't happen to me ever since.

what did I do?

• Disable CTRL-W shortcut (that closes the current tab) as described in post #1
  • Disable the BACKSPACE button, which in Firefox will jump back in the browsing history when the cursor is not placed inside a text input field
  • Configure Firefox to not display a close button for each tab individually - as described in post #18
  • Install the Text Area Cache plugin
  • Enable the Touchpad option 'Disable Touchpad while typing' and 'Disable Touchpad when USB mouse is connected'
  • Change shortcut for Google Translate Client from CTRL-CTRL to something else

You can see that this problem really drove me nuts, but I can say one (or more) of those counter measures really did the trick.

I guess that your problem might be the BACKSPACE button, maybe combined with accidentally brushing over the Touchpad and moving the cursor out of the text input field.

welo

No, you misunderstood my post...

I lost draft posts BEFORE I installed the new FireFox add-on Lazarus today...

In the past, I had no such add-ons installed on my PC... Wasn't even aware there were add-ons for that purpose.

Only learned about it because of your thread here, thanks very much.

Fortunately, so far today, I haven't had the bad luck to have to test the new install...

Oh, I see!

Forgot to post the instructions on howto disable BACKSPACE=HISTORY_BACK in Firefox. Just for completeness, in case somebody else stumbles over this topic in the future...

Type about:config in Firefox Location Box, and then confirm the warning message. Then locate the following preference name:

browser.backspace_action

Change the “browser.backspace_action” to one of the following values to reflect your intention on how the Backspace key should behaves:

0: Pressing [backspace] will go back a page in the session history and [shift]+[backspace] will go forward. (Default in Windows)

1: Pressing [backspace] will scroll up a page in the current document and [shift]+[backspace] will scroll down. Except Camino that does not implement any behavior for the value 1, which is unmapped. (Default in Linux builds before 2006-12-07)

Any other integer number: Any other integer value will simply unmap the backspace key.

source: http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/06/22/disable-or-enable-backspace-as-go-back-page-browsing-function-in-firefox/

Thank you all for the helpful tips concerning the 3 Firefox add-ons. It's all text! Lazarus Form Recovery TextArea Cache In the past losing data in forms was a real pain in the neck!!! I also like the idea of just moving the text block into an editor with out the hassle of cut and paste. I just installed the add-ons today. Hope they work out well.

I don`t use the It's all text! addon, for several reasons:

• Can't use the website's editor buttons in a text editor
  • No autosave means no crash recovery
  • Didn't work for me with Thaivisa back then

Text Area Cache works so reliable for me that I never ever thought about using an external editor.

If you do use the editor, make sure to press CTRL-S every now and then. This will update the text to the browser, and then Lazarus and/or Text Area Cache should kick in and autosave the text - haven't tried that though.

welo

I don`t use the It's all text! addon, for several reasons:

• Can't use the website's editor buttons in a text editor
  • No autosave means no crash recovery
  • Didn't work for me with Thaivisa back then

Text Area Cache works so reliable for me that I never ever thought about using an external editor.

If you do use the editor, make sure to press CTRL-S every now and then. This will update the text to the browser, and then Lazarus and/or Text Area Cache should kick in and autosave the text - haven't tried that though.

welo

Thanks Welo,:jap:

I have Noscript enabled and didn't realize that ThaiVisa's editor had editor buttons.:huh:

I tried It's allt Text! because I was getting annoyed every time I went to reply to a post it had all these <br /> in the text for new paragraph marks. It was a real pain in the butt manually replacing all of them.:annoyed:

Made much more sense to use an text editor to do a search and replace. With Noscript blocking ThaiVisa scripts, It's all text! worked great to move text between the editor and ThaiVisa. Only problem was my text editor did not have a spell checker.:unsure:

After reading this post I realized Noscript was blocking the editor scripts. I allowed Noscript to allow scripts from ThaiVisa and presto! I have editor functions with ThaiVisa and the Firefox spell check works. Also I don't have the <br /> anymore. They automatically convert to new paragraphs. Plus I have a lot more functions available!.B)

You're right, With the scripts enabled, It's all text! does not work with ThaiVisa's editor, so there no reason for it.

Thanks a lot for the insight. I wish I had known this a long time ago.;)

I agree, I think that Text Area Cache is the best solution from recovering lost messages.

Edited by BB1950

Well, it didn't take but a day...

I was typing a post yesterday, accidentally hit a button that moved my browser back one page and away from the message I was typing...and when I browsed forward again to my message window, what I was typing was gone....blank message window.

This time, however, I had Lazarus installed. So, I did a right click on my mouse, saw the form restore options in the popped up context window, and chose one of two that were visible... The first restored only half of what I had been typing.. So I tried the second restore option available, and it restored the entire message... Back in business...

Thanks Lazarus....and thanks Welo! :lol:

I guess it would be worth to advertise these plugins to the thaivisa community. I'm sure many people suffer from this problem once in a while.

I wonder if anybody knows similar plugins for IE, Chrome, etc.

Might be worth a sticky topic.

I use LAZARUS

Best FF add-on I could find so far

Thanks mate, that's worth diamonds,you'll never know how many valuable sceadugenga posts have been lost to this forum because I couldn't be stuffed retyping them. B)

The cause of my involuntary deletions seems to be related to a program I downloaded to fix a dodgy copy of Windows that a local repair man installed and I never realised until I'd spent several days loading programs and files. Rather than start again, I went for the quick fix.